Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Capturing that old school feeling
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Stealthwhisper
Acolyte

5 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2016 :  14:51:55  Show Profile Send Stealthwhisper a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Greetings friends, sages and gamers!

I am running a 5e campaign based in Cormyr, and I am looking to mimic that old-school feeling the old FR books and games (Baldur's Gate) had. But, there's a problem... I can't seem to put my finger exactly what made it feel so special. So I think that this is the best place to ask.

The campaign story is inspired by the Finder's Bane book. And the time of the campaign is at 1359 DR year of the serpent. A powerful priest is trying to resurrect his dead god Bane. He is using many monsters like gnolls, kobolds, beholders and more to cause strife and terror in the land, while he is looking for a very powerful artifact that will allow him to siphon the suffering and fear of the Cormyrian citizens, and bring back his dark god.
The artifact is broken across Faerun, and it was once used for good, but the priest wishes to corrupt it for he's evil agenda. The heroines are in a race against time to recover the artifact parts before the evil cleric can reach them, and finally stop his dark scheme.

As a guideline I am working along Volo's guide to Cormyr, which is an amazing source book.

Any suggestions on how to bring that atmosphere and feel of the 2nd edition era in to my game? Something back then was so awesome.

Thank you for the comments

(And maybe I am just being sentimental about the world that was a massive part of my childhood)

"I can teach you how to use your wrath. You can control the taint, direct it, summon it at will. You can become the Slayer at will and become the weapon of murder that you were meant to be! So think of me. Think of how I destroyed your precious Gorion, how I plundered the lives of your Candlekeep. Summon your rage, stir the depths of your black heart! Summon wrath. Summon wrath and become it, for if you cannot, then you are not worthy of Bhaal's blood. It should have been I. It should have been I! ATTACK ME, WORM, IF YOU DARE!!!"

Edited by - Stealthwhisper on 14 Nov 2016 15:06:55

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2016 :  17:28:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No, you're not just being sentimental. The idea of the Realms as a living, breathing world is incredibly appealing and such a strong image even 20 years on. What I think it comes down to is the idea of making the Realms feel lived in - we see them as the result of years of play by Ed and the Knights, and then with beautiful, careful additions by Eric, Steven, and many others. The Realms is impressive because it's not just about the player characters - it's a thousand stories all waiting to be explored as you see fit, and because Ed repeatedly made the stories of everyone matter. The Realms isn't just the big names, rules and grand evils - it's the lives of that innkeep and even just the fruit seller on the street.

So I think some things to focus on are these:

1) Make the Realms your own. You've already done this, and continue to do this. We have so much detail about the Realms because that's what Ed's players asked for - more, more, more history, more stories, more details. Pay attention to what your players like, and emphasize those parts in order to draw them in. Change what you don't like to fit your game. There have been so many different hands and so many different styles over the years, it's inevitable to find something you don't like. Ed has always told us as DMs to play the Realms our way, and that especially continues today.

2) Everyone matters. In the spirit of the Realms and what you're trying to channel from the Volo's Guides, there's a story and attention paid to everyone. There's no such thing as "the nameless barkeep who takes the PHB's room price." That man has a name and desires, wants, and plans - and Ed also tells us to give each and every character a secret, no matter how big or small. Doesn't have to be a big one, but everyone has something they're hiding, or that is unusual and interesting.

Now, the corollary to that is 3) The PCs are still the center of the world. Your game is about them, you want to be fans of them, you want them to change things and mix it up. Culturally, in the Realms, adventurers are crazy things that mess up the status quo and do all sorts of things both good and bad. That's what you want. Your PCs are going to go off the beaten path, they're going to do stupid things, they're going to mess with your plans - and that's good. You want to wield the details of the Realms as a continual menu of options, of stories and things to do and see - so that they can choose what they do. So even though you spend a lot of time on details, on stories of NPCs and so on - you're arranging those for the players to discover, and flesh out what they're interested and go with that. I ran a 4e Neverwinter game where my players became convinced Lord Neverember was a dragon, so I rolled with it - sure, he was, his claim to ruling Neverwinter came from his mother, the child of Nasher Alagondar and Zunderazylym. He was dragon-blooded indeed!

I think that's about it. If you're looking for another book to really help you get that feel of the Realms, grab Elminster's Forgotten Realms - tons of good details in there for your Heartlands-based game. Ed's Forging the Realms articles were really good too, although you'll have to dig those out of a Google cache now.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2016 :  17:46:18  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would say to try to emphasize the history and the wonder of the the setting. Make it clear that everything has a past, and play up the wonder by doing things that don't quite fit into the rules...

While I liked a lot about the 3.x ruleset (and in fact, I play Pathfinder now), one place where it fails is in the area of magic items. Sure, it's a codified and logical ruleset, and makes things easier for the DM -- but if you look at a lot of 2E magical stuff, particularly from Ed's pen, there was a significant amount that really didn't fit into the rules, or that had a variety of different powers all invested in one item.

A particular fave for me is the gemsword from SJR1 Lost Ships (a Spelljammer tome from Ed's pen) -- a +4 longsword that could make a power strike once a day, and could have any one, two, or all three of these powers, as well: regenerate, lightning bolt, and teleport without error. Even if was just a +1 weapon, that mix of abilities makes that a lot more interesting than some of the stock magic items out there.

And a 2E wand of lightning, with its ability to do lightning bolts or shocking grasp, is a lot more interesting than later editions and their wand of lightning bolts, which just does the one thing...

So bring back the fantasy by throwing in the weird stuff that doesn't fit into the rules. Dig thru your old sourcebooks and surprise your players with stuff that's not in recent rulesets. Hit them with a wand of misplaced objects and watch the expressions on their faces!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 19 Nov 2016 00:25:40
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2016 :  19:22:29  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Powers and Avatars 2e would be a useful book.
Go to Top of Page

Cards77
Senior Scribe

USA
745 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2016 :  02:28:46  Show Profile Send Cards77 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For me the biggest thing is everything that has already been mentioned. But even was I was 12 years old I didn't even know what D&D was. I just saw the cover of the Old Gray Box and I knew i had to read it.

Reading about the heroes, looking at the maps, reading about the Harpers and beholders. My mind was filled with WONDER. I desperately wanted to explore this world that I knew didn't exist.

It felt so real to me.

Details matter. Make the world feel lived in, give it weather, scenery, holidays, the moon phases. A world rich with details is a world that your PCs will never want to stop exploring. My PCs love just going out to dinner because every inn is different. Make shopping an experience in itself....

Guard Realmslore carefully. Let them explore and discover the realmslore in game rather than having them read it out of game.

It's important to give your PCs the freedom to explore this rich wonderful world, whilst you mold your campaign around them. Have your NPCs ready. Dungeon ecology matters! Things and places need to exist for a reason!!

No monsters sitting in a locked room with no logic to why they are there.

Make the PC's matter in the world, and make their actions have consequences, this makes the world feel very real. If they decide not to save that town, maybe it's not there anymore or it becomes a festering nest of undead. Also, make sure they realize they aren't the ONLY heroes. There are other events, people, places, adventures, and things happening around them just like real life. Some events, people and places will effect them, others will not and others will occur/happen in spite of the PCs existence or actions. Just like the real world.

Invest in some great maps and have them at your table as props. This is a great way to drive exploration. My group spends hours just looking at maps and talking about where to go.

Exploration, wonder and mystery are close relatives.
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7974 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2016 :  23:04:28  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree with emphasizing the wonder. AD&D-era magic followed all the game rules, of course, and (barring things like miscasts) a spellcaster could always expect his spells and prayers and magics to work more or less exactly as described in his Player's Handbook. But magic was also fickle and variable, not-entirely predictable and not-always easily manipulated, always carrying unknown risks which could never quite be "tamed", always exotic and mysterious (even when cast by the most masterfully accomplished arch-lich) - indeed, Mystryl/Mystra/Midnight the Goddess of Magic was also the Goddess of Mysteries and magic itself was commonly referred to as "(The) Mystery". Practitioners of magic were said to follow "(The) Art", and were indeed considered artists in the sense that each found his own unique and distinct path while following the same rules of magic.

Every mage prizes a new book of spells, but in AD&D a mage would also prize a book of notes about the special papers and inks and quills and incantations needed to just write the spells into a spellbook. A journal filled with alchemical scribblings and recipes from which a formula for a basic potion of healing could be researched would be a real prize. A tome describing the process another mage used to manufacture a common magical item like a ring of protection +1 was an incredible treasure. And while a magic missile or fireball spell might be common fare among wizards, each mage would have his own unique quirks for casting it - much lab-and-library research, experimentation, and discovery was needed to learn a spell even when two spellcasters cooperated, shared, and collaborated freely.

As of D&D 3E magic was streamlined in the rules and sidelined in the setting. Magic was no longer an exotic mystery filled with strange rituals and never-quite-knowable outcomes. Magic was now a fully-known "tool" where certain steps are followed, certain parameters are chosen, and certain results always occur. No longer an "Art", now basically just another name for a "Science", where the practitioners are as standardized and formalized and systematic as their craft requires.

This - to me - is the most profound and fundamental difference between "old school" AD&D and "modern" D&D. In the gaming rules and in the gaming playstyle - but also reflected in every element of the game setting. The Realms have always been richly saturated with magic, ranging from the utterly trivial to the most alarmingly apocalyptic. The common folk used to carefully avoid ever approaching the wizard tower, they muttered darkly about witches and demons more than about orcs and bandits, their superstitions and fears were not entirely unjustified in a world where fireballs and dragons were a real threat. But as of 3E the common folk simply accept the miraculous wonders of magic as a matter of routine, adventuring parties even have to display how much magic they can command just to impress the local mayor into letting them take a quest. As of 4E the common folk have magical cookpots and coldboxes and clap-lanterns and musicboxes in their homes, they literally possess more magical powers and trinkets than the citizens of Netheril or Halruaa (or Sigil) ever had, it seems they essentially have access to all the same gadgets we have and the only difference is the "technology" upon which it's all based. Magic used to be special, magic is now routine, what was once "magical" is now almost "mundane". And with magic being such a definitive part of the setting, it's no surprise that today's Realmslore is written quite differently from classic Realmslore.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 18 Nov 2016 23:20:16
Go to Top of Page

bloodtide_the_red
Learned Scribe

USA
299 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2016 :  03:57:52  Show Profile  Visit bloodtide_the_red's Homepage Send bloodtide_the_red a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mystery is the first big one, the old school Realms were all about mystery. Both as there was less lore and a lot of things were left vague. 3/4/5 E really go to far with ''this is this, period''. So bring back the mystery is key.

The dark, near adult feel. A lot of old school Realms was a bit closer to ''pg 13'' then the super whitewashed ''G'' of 3/4/5 E. For example, a 1E book would say a Dark God has their worshipers do vile, evil acts like drinking blood...but the more modern book will just say vague ''evil act'' with a boring mechanical effect.

Magic is the other big one, adding in mystery and dark feel too. And not just spells, but all magic. A 1E book has a carnivorous portal that summons undead hyenas in unexplained ways, the same portal in other editions is a bland ''does 1d4 damage and summon monster 1'' yawn. The Volo guides are full of this type of stuff
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4430 Posts

Posted - 21 Nov 2016 :  14:43:35  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

I agree with emphasizing the wonder. AD&D-era magic followed all the game rules, of course, and (barring things like miscasts) a spellcaster could always expect his spells and prayers and magics to work more or less exactly as described in his Player's Handbook. But magic was also fickle and variable, not-entirely predictable and not-always easily manipulated, always carrying unknown risks which could never quite be "tamed", always exotic and mysterious (even when cast by the most masterfully accomplished arch-lich) - indeed, Mystryl/Mystra/Midnight the Goddess of Magic was also the Goddess of Mysteries and magic itself was commonly referred to as "(The) Mystery". Practitioners of magic were said to follow "(The) Art", and were indeed considered artists in the sense that each found his own unique and distinct path while following the same rules of magic.

Every mage prizes a new book of spells, but in AD&D a mage would also prize a book of notes about the special papers and inks and quills and incantations needed to just write the spells into a spellbook. A journal filled with alchemical scribblings and recipes from which a formula for a basic potion of healing could be researched would be a real prize. A tome describing the process another mage used to manufacture a common magical item like a ring of protection +1 was an incredible treasure. And while a magic missile or fireball spell might be common fare among wizards, each mage would have his own unique quirks for casting it - much lab-and-library research, experimentation, and discovery was needed to learn a spell even when two spellcasters cooperated, shared, and collaborated freely.

As of D&D 3E magic was streamlined in the rules and sidelined in the setting. Magic was no longer an exotic mystery filled with strange rituals and never-quite-knowable outcomes. Magic was now a fully-known "tool" where certain steps are followed, certain parameters are chosen, and certain results always occur. No longer an "Art", now basically just another name for a "Science", where the practitioners are as standardized and formalized and systematic as their craft requires.

This - to me - is the most profound and fundamental difference between "old school" AD&D and "modern" D&D. In the gaming rules and in the gaming playstyle - but also reflected in every element of the game setting. The Realms have always been richly saturated with magic, ranging from the utterly trivial to the most alarmingly apocalyptic. The common folk used to carefully avoid ever approaching the wizard tower, they muttered darkly about witches and demons more than about orcs and bandits, their superstitions and fears were not entirely unjustified in a world where fireballs and dragons were a real threat. But as of 3E the common folk simply accept the miraculous wonders of magic as a matter of routine, adventuring parties even have to display how much magic they can command just to impress the local mayor into letting them take a quest. As of 4E the common folk have magical cookpots and coldboxes and clap-lanterns and musicboxes in their homes, they literally possess more magical powers and trinkets than the citizens of Netheril or Halruaa (or Sigil) ever had, it seems they essentially have access to all the same gadgets we have and the only difference is the "technology" upon which it's all based. Magic used to be special, magic is now routine, what was once "magical" is now almost "mundane". And with magic being such a definitive part of the setting, it's no surprise that today's Realmslore is written quite differently from classic Realmslore.

How much of this is driven by the actual game mechanics and how much of this is completely ignored by any common DM using a WotC version of D&D? I'm going to read some things from the "Treasure" page found in the Forgotten Realms Campaign Guide (4e) to see what an adventurer might find in a "typical" Forgotten Realms 4e game:

Heroic Tier (levels 1-10)
- A magnificent dragon mirionette puppet made of Shou silk from Nathlan (55 gp).

- A Cormyrean velvet doublet, fronted by a row of amethyst buttons (500 gp).

- An hourglass, the base and top of which were ornately painted in Calimshan and filled with precise measures of ground gem dust in Waterdeep (1,000 gp).

Paragon Tier (levels 11-20)
- Five well-preserved Nexalan tobacco cigars stored in a small humidor crafted of fine phandar wood (2,600 gp).

- 10 pounds of Maztican chili peppers, dried and perfectly preserved (rare and getting rarer each year) (3,000 gp).

- A singular, hand-lettered book with platinum-edged, beaten gold covers, titled Triumph Exemplar and written in Loross. The book is a chronicle of the wars of Netheril published in 221 DR (5,000 gp).

Epic Tier (levels 21-30)
- A Nar Death Mask, forged from Imaskari steel and studded with astral diamonds, in mint condition (15,000 gp).

- A drow lantern that sheds darkness (30,000 gp).

- A black iron key said to be one of the seven required to unlock Cyric's shackles on the Supreme Throne (50,000 gp).

Now those are just samplings of what just two simple pages had noted down. Each entry had unique qualities that were not just more zap - bang - pow magic items, boring and unimaginative. And while I agree that each of these magical items that were put into the game when 3e, 4e, and now 5e has a certain lack of imaginative essence, the idea that these editions were devoid of it is simply wrong. I mean look at the Magic of Faerūn supplement, it's brimming with all sorts of Realms-flavored magical items, Feats, Prestige Classes, notes, artifacts, tools, gems, ingredients, etc. that would be pretty awesome in ANY campaign setting using ANY ruleset. I've often looked deeply into 3e's plethora of supplements for my 4e and 5e games because I'd be silly not to.

Looking at just that supplement alone we have 3 pages on making, protecting, and upgrading spellbooks along with Wizards taking on apprentices to what the spellbook can be constructed out of. Why can't that be applied to 4e or 5e? Lets look at some fun Natural Items: Darkberry (pg. 181, Mag.) that when broken or crushed, creates a 5-ft. diameter circle of blackness for 10 seconds (2 rounds). Sounds fun! I'm sure ANY 4e or 5e rogue would love a bushel of this stuff. And what Fighter wouldn't love a Fever Iron longsword or Darksteel plate mail? The magic is there, the LORE is thre, the quirky cool elements that make the game MORE Forgotten Realms are all there, DMs just have to use it.
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7974 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2016 :  02:15:43  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Anything written in the rules or Realmslore of earlier editions would still be relevant to the rules or Realmslore of later editions unless/until these things become revised or contradicted. This scroll was started by one DM seeking advice about how this could be done. Many of us happily adapt newer-edition material into the older-edition rules and Realms we continue to love.

Every published (A)D&D game edition and every published Realms product was/is packed full of great things. I understand some of us think the newer material is too "commercialized", too "unrealistic" or "over-the-top", too "childish" and "silly" to be relevant to our Realms. I understand some of us think the older material is too "uncreative", too "stagnant", too "stuffy" and "archaic" to be relevant to our Realms. I say don't be blinded by out-of-game irrelevancies like a particular publishing company or copyright date or edition number.

Yes, stuff taken from different games (in which I include anything ranging from vastly-different media and genre sources to substantially-different RPG systems to mildly-different D&D editions) needs to be converted into the prevailing ruleset and molded into prevailing Realmslore, but your Realms becomes a little richer from each extra effort. Yes, some careful balancing decisions need to be made and sometimes details get lost in translation, but sometimes exciting or unthinkable new things emerge in their place.

Some people willingly embrace this sort of versatility. An experienced DM can pull this off effortlessly - but a novice DM can fumble and fail unless experienced players can recover the play. A masterful FR author can pull this off as well, and even manage to sneak it past WotC's censors, and even create entirely new rules and Realms as a result - but less talented FR authors have bombed many such attempts before.

Other people voluntarily lock themselves into rigid compliance with current published canon. They're basically worried that if they fall out of bounds they could "lose" whatever they've invested into their games the moment some new canon product countradicts what they've done. Bad news for y'all - my anecdotal experience across at least three D&D game editions has taught me that WotC is more interested in selling (and reselling) whatever lore they can come up with than in whatever awesome lore happens at your table - sooner or later you'll be forced to diverge paths and abandon true-canon, so you've got little to lose by just owning it now.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2016 :  03:09:38  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm late, but this question (how to bring the Realmsian feel back to the Realms) has been bouncing around in my dome since the arrival of 4e. I won't claim any special insights, but I've arrived at one priority that I feel strongly about: a frontier-perspective.

From the current draft of my own personal 5e FRCG:

quote:

The design philosophy for the Realms has been "off" ever since the Time of Troubles... here it is, on page 4 of the Cyclopedia of the Realms, from the "old gray box:"

Civilization is still a novelty in much of this world, even the oldest of cities on the Inland Sea, or the founding of Waterdeep, the greatest City of the North, are within the memory of the oldest living elves of Evermeet.

A succinct damning of the cumulative effects of 2e, 3e, and 4e is found on page 193 of the 4e Campaign Guide:

The Vilhon Wilds is one of the last great frontiers of Faerūn.

Prior to 1358 DR, we have a setting which has been mostly untamed for the last thousand years... and before that as well. Between 1358 and 1385, it turns into a setting where virtually no stones remain unturned. This is a gross perversion of the setting, and while it might be easy for some fans to say "the design philosophy changed; deal with it" it remains flatly irrational for a world which is mostly wilderness to become a world which is mostly developed within the span of 27 in-game years... particularly considering the centuries that passed prior to that without such changes.

This perceived lack of places to tell new stories is among the factors that led Wizards of the Coast to rewrite the world in such drastic ways for 4e.(footnote when I find the quote of Bruce Cordell saying this was one of their motivations) Of course they were irredeemably wrong --there are countless stories to tell within Faerūn, even in the 1370s, plus there's the rest of the planet and at least 35,000 years of history to delve into-- but my point is that this perception of the Realms as being fully developed at any point in time is a huge problem.

I believe this misconception is rooted in our (meaning fans, authors, designers, and the suits at WotC/Hasbro -- all of our) perspective on the setting, and more directly a mistaken assumption that the Realms is as facile as it appears to be.

Our perspective on the Realms is omniscient. We look at the maps, we can see how far Luskan is from Orvyltar, and we can calculate the travel time by various modes of transportation. We read the books, we can see that the political/economic situation in Elversult is degrading to where a takeover starts to make sense, while Cormyr is hungry to acquire assets in its opposition to Netheril, and we can make the connection.

There are other problems. For example, somehow the ability to make changes has mutated into a mandate of changes, with each edition and sometimes even just for a new trilogy of novels. WotC's priorities in developing the setting don't seem to include creating a stable foundation on which thousands of distinct home campaigns can rest. There are probably other issues as well. But the unwilding of the Realms which has taken place since the original gray box... that's as simple as losing sight of each realm being a singular entity which only sees its immediate surroundings and no one among the Powers That Be on Toril having an omniscient view of the world, or even Faerūn, or even their own realm. We are more omniscient than the gods, when we read about the Realms and when we design it. Restoring the Realms to what it should be is as easy as changing the way we view it.

So let's get out of that see-all perspective and take a fresh look at Faerūn... as a place where people live comparatively normal lives in spite of magic and gods, as a wild place in spite of all the little pockets of civilization, as a new and unfamiliar place in spite of everything we "know" about it, as a frequently dark and dangerous place in spite of all the torchlit gates, as a vibrant and continually evolving place in spite of today often looking very much like yesterday. We never know what tomorrow will bring... but we know that it will pass just like yesterday, and at the end of the day these are still our Realms.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2016 :  07:22:12  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As a guy who spends most of his free time mapping the Realms, I can agree most whole-heartedly with xaeyruudh's sentiments. Most kingdoms are only 'in control' from the tip of one's sword. And just because you're in Cormyr - the most well-developed (heavily covered) country in the setting - doesn't mean you are safe... quite the contrary. The second the Purple Dragon patrol turns that bend in the road, the bandits... and monsters... and things that EAT monsters... come out to play. The nation is full of large groups of powerful creatures (and people) just waiting to do you harm... and Cormyr is one of the better ones (maybe the best one).

There are hundreds of miles between most settlements in Faerūn. A little perspective - look at a modern map at place that size, and see how many settlements there are (even in 'rural' areas). I live on an island - Long Island - that is one hundred miles long (but only about 15-25 miles wide). Nearly 8 million people live on this tiny island - an island thats probably smaller that the distance between most settlements in the Realms. Sounds crowded, eh? I live in the 'Pine Barrens' - I can't even see my nearest neighbor, and I got wild turkeys, deer, etc running around on my property. A lot of my neighbors own horses (or quads) and go through the trails in the woods, and hunt when its the season. its not crowded AT ALL. 8 million people in a small 100-mile strip of land, and we're not crowded... and monsters could easily hide here (in fact, we have one called the Montauk monster!)

Now imagine that same strip of land in the realms, where there are over 100 sentient (and mostly evil) races all over the place, even ABOVE you and BELOW you. And monsters... and large (prehistoric) animals... and even man-eating plants (and mushrooms and rocks you could have a conversation with). Tarzan wouldn't last a day in the Realms. Neither would Batman. Most farmers have had to fend-off orc hordes and trolls... a modern day mixed-martial artist would be a joke to them. You'd have to have the training of a navy seal just to fetch some water from the well. And those are just the farmers. They're not even 'the bad guys'.

Frontier? Yeah, its a frontier... IN HELL.

You want to get that flavor right? Think 'Old West', far from any large settlement in 'Indian territory', and then picture that environment in Mordor. Now take that and dial it up to 11. Thats almost right. Now add in Godzilla.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 04 Dec 2016 01:40:30
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2016 :  21:46:02  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You've lost the loving feeling.

https://youtu.be/viqa6I4ehrA
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2016 :  01:43:26  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On the contrary - my love has never been stronger.

I thrive on pain.

P.S. - That song came out one year after I was born... I AM that lovin' feeling'.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 04 Dec 2016 01:45:00
Go to Top of Page

Alexander Clark
Learned Scribe

106 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2016 :  11:28:07  Show Profile Send Alexander Clark a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Didn't 4e switch focus to small centers of civilization surrounded by darkness?

Edited by - Alexander Clark on 04 Dec 2016 11:32:54
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4430 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2016 :  12:29:53  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alexander Clark

Didn't 4e switch focus to small centers of civilization surrounded by darkness?

4e's "Pool of Light" setting did. There's actually a map of it in the game Conquest of Nerath (I believe that's the name) and has a lot of in-game history and lore about it, such as a Tiefling nations called Bael-Turath and some other tid bits. I really wish they expanded more on their setting than delving into the others.

As for FR, it's a sort of "poo of light" lite in terms that they tried to play up the fact that it's SUPER dangerous to adventure outside civilization.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000