Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Forgotten Realms Designers
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 10

Evro
Acolyte

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2005 :  15:32:03  Show Profile Send Evro a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Most knowledgeable Sages,

A similar query was posted years back on the FR Mailing List a couple of times with no responses, and I'm hoping that with years having passed, and more poring over old tomes having been done, that I might find success within these exalted halls of knowledge.

My campaign is focused on the area around the Delimbiyr Crescent, including the High Forest, up to the Fallen Lands and down to Evereska.

Now, as I recall it having been said after its release, if something is on the FR Interactive Atlas, it came from some source material somewhere--no one just plopped in random names of places to fill it out.

This having been said, I've suffered from a severe lack of luck in finding any lore on several places shown on the map, and hope for some folks willing to dig deep and give me some direction.

Courtoun, in the Southwood
Rrinlurgh, in the Graypeaks(I can't find a single mention of either of these anywhere)

Highluthholt, in the Southwood(I found one brief mention in a FR timeline which spoke to an attack of Wyverns on the temple of Mielikki there)

Westdelve, near the Shining Falls(As I recall, the only mention I found on this one was in Dwarves Deep, which was a one-liner about the dwarves there poling passengers up past the falls)

Lastly, a place not listed on the map. In my poor, abused, dogeared copy of the 2e Cloak and Dagger, on page 28, it makes mention of the village of Parnast, on the Dawn Pass Trail by Weathercote and Graypeaks as a location of a Tel'Teukiira agent. I've never seen a mention anywhere else about this little village, and have always been curious as to where that came from, or if indeed it was simply plucked out of nothingness and laid down on the page.

Thanks so much.
Go to Top of Page

Thomas M. Reid
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

334 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2005 :  20:09:42  Show Profile  Visit Thomas M. Reid's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Evro

I've suffered from a severe lack of luck in finding any lore on several places shown on the map, and hope for some folks willing to dig deep and give me some direction.

I have PDFs of almost all the old 1E/2E FR products, and I performed a search for each of the following terms. This is far from exhaustive, though; some of the locations showing up on the FR Atlas maps came from old Polyhedron articles, Dragon articles, etc., so don't assume that just because I didn't find them that they aren't to be found. Sorry I wasn't more help.

Courtoun, in the Southwood -- nothing.

Rrinlurgh, in the Graypeaks(I can't find a single mention of either of these anywhere) -- nothing.

Highluthholt, in the Southwood(I found one brief mention in a FR timeline which spoke to an attack of Wyverns on the temple of Mielikki there) -- Prayers from the Faithful, pg. 118, bottom of 1st column, brief mention of it as a temple to Mielikki several days' east of Secomber.

Westdelve, near the Shining Falls(As I recall, the only mention I found on this one was in Dwarves Deep, which was a one-liner about the dwarves there poling passengers up past the falls) -- nothing.

Lastly, a place not listed on the map. In my poor, abused, dogeared copy of the 2e Cloak and Dagger, on page 28, it makes mention of the village of Parnast, on the Dawn Pass Trail by Weathercote and Graypeaks as a location of a Tel'Teukiira agent. I've never seen a mention anywhere else about this little village, and have always been curious as to where that came from, or if indeed it was simply plucked out of nothingness and laid down on the page. -- nothing.

"A knight is not truly virtuous, only truly resolved to be so."

www.thomasmreid.com
Go to Top of Page

Murray Leeder
Forgotten Realms Author

Canada
228 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2005 :  20:32:32  Show Profile  Visit Murray Leeder's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Parnast figures in the novel The Nether Scroll. I toss it a reference in my novel Son of thunder, some of which takes place in Llorkh and its immediate environs.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2005 :  22:45:54  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You have all the information currently available on Parnast (as Murray noted: from "The Nether Scroll" by Lynn Abbey), Highluthholt (from "Prayers From the Faithful" - Mielikki write-up) and Westdelve (FR11 "Dwarves Deep" - Ammarindar write-up and Dragon #228 - Ed's "Athalantar" article).

As for the other two, I'll check my notes re the FR Atlas revision and get back to you.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Evro
Acolyte

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 02 Feb 2005 :  05:31:52  Show Profile Send Evro a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Outstanding. Thanks so much gentlemen.

George, if you found the references for the other two, my wife would surely put you on the Christmas card list since I'll be able to start sleeping again.
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2005 :  05:15:34  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"Courtoun" should actually be Corthoun. It's a Selunite monastery and mentioned in "Prayers From the Faithful" (Selune spellbook).

"Rrinlurgh" I can't find anywhere. In dwarvish this means "Over swamp/marsh". No idea on this one but it is likely a left over of Ammarindar - it's not mentioned however in FR11 Dwarves Deep.

It might possibly be the cavern domain of the dragon Malagaeroth from Ed's "Wyrms of the North" DRAGON articles, but it didn't name these caverns.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Evro
Acolyte

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2005 :  09:59:14  Show Profile Send Evro a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I can't thank you enough for taking the time to look it up.

I suppose Rrinlurgh will have to go on being a mystery for now.

Maybe I'll submit my own history on it and they'll make it canon.
Go to Top of Page

Bendal
Seeker

USA
54 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2005 :  23:58:59  Show Profile  Visit Bendal's Homepage Send Bendal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Are there any known fortresses or monasteries in the Evermoors? It seems to me to be a great place for those wishing to 'get away from everyone' to go, especially if they had the ability to ward off the trolls (and now giants) infesting the area.

Also, other than Nesme' and Mornbryn's Shield, are there any communities in the region? How about demihumans?

Finally, what are the hills to the SW of the Evermoors called, and is anything of interest in that area? My campaign is centering around this area, preparatory to the PC's getting high enough in level to do something about the frost giant incursion further north.
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2066 Posts

Posted - 13 May 2005 :  01:51:58  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Rrinlurgh, in the Graypeaks(I can't find a single mention of either of these anywhere)

I think Rrinlurgh is my made-up name for the dwarf-hold occupied by a (red?) dragon mentioned in FOR1 - The Draconomicon.

I was responsible for adding most of the obscure names to the 3rd patch of the Atlas.

--Eric

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

RevJest
Learned Scribe

USA
115 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2005 :  01:27:02  Show Profile  Visit RevJest's Homepage Send RevJest a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Something I've never seen addressed anywhere, and wondered about.

When a god dies, what happens to their outter planar realm? What happens to the faithful spirits that dwell there?

Thanks!

"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter."
- Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2005 :  01:56:59  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RevJest

Something I've never seen addressed anywhere, and wondered about.

When a god dies, what happens to their outter planar realm? What happens to the faithful spirits that dwell there?

Thanks!

It decays until it is no more. Planescape addressed this and the Player's Guide has a short blurb on it as well. I'd say the faithful would just become part of the plane or they die with the realm and or the deity or another deity takes them.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Gray Richardson
Master of Realmslore

USA
1291 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2005 :  09:09:09  Show Profile  Visit Gray Richardson's Homepage Send Gray Richardson a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Kuje is right. The 2E book On Hallowed Ground talks about how divine realms fade or implode over time when their deity dies. This can take up to centuries, depending on how long the body of the god takes to decay on the Astral Plane.

Players Guide to Faerun offers two suggestions. It reaffirms the implosion theory from On Hallowed Ground, but also suggests that abandonned or lost planes might lose their connections to the Astral Plane entirely and slip beyond the cosmology, severing all links to the cosmology. Like an overripe fruit dropping off a tree, or like a tree shedding a leaf. I like this theory because it means that players who search for them might still find these lost planes. Either by passing through the Far Realms outside the cosmology, or by finding a still-working portal somewhere. Maybe Shadow offers the potential for finding lost planes as well.

PGtF gives several examples of lost planes: Zigguraxas of the Untheric Pantheon. Leira's Courts of Illusion. Amaunator's Keep of the Sun. Ibrandul's Ibrandyllaran (sp?).

Eilistraee had a realm in Lolth's Demonweb Pits, but she has abandonned it and returned to her former homeplane of Arvandor. Her realm in the Demonwebs is dwindling to nothing with the lack of godly power to sustain it.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2005 :  14:02:57  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RevJest

In addition to what my fellow planar scribes, Kuje and Gray, have already discussed about the dissolution of planar realms, I have something else to add. We also know, from PGtF, that the domains of Powers with decreasing influence actually reduce in size and importance before they collapse or implode. This process is likely to be relative to the actual influence of the god on the Material Plane, and cummulates with the implosion once the god actually dies.

The most recent evidence of this is the Doomcourt of Hoar which, according to PGtF, is apparently shrinking as a result of the Doombringer's decreasing impact among the faithful of Faerun.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2005 :  15:36:28  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

The most recent evidence of this is the Doomcourt of Hoar which, according to PGtF, is apparently shrinking as a result of the Doombringer's decreasing impact among the faithful of Faerun.

Hey, that's interesting. I wonder where I could read more about that?

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2005 :  16:57:01  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gray RichardsonEilistraee had a realm in Lolth's Demonweb Pits, but she has abandonned it and returned to her former homeplane of Arvandor. Her realm in the Demonwebs is dwindling to nothing with the lack of godly power to sustain it.

If you read a certain 6th book in a certain spider queen series and put two and two together you can figure that maybe a certain temple that a certain priestess made in the Demonweb might be Eilistraee's place. :) I'm not sure that Paul had that in mind but to me it kinda made sense.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2005 :  18:07:36  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

Aye indeed, Wooly, mayhaps there is a tome here at Candlekeep

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2005 :  02:00:34  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alaundo

quote:

quote:

Aye indeed, Wooly, mayhaps there is a tome here at Candlekeep

Hehe... Maybe you should have Wooly join the Compendium promotions team here at Candlekeep Alaundo. That is, if we have one...

Go to Top of Page

Naeryndam
Learned Scribe

USA
115 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2005 :  20:30:42  Show Profile Send Naeryndam a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have asked this same question a few times before, but I'm going to give it another try. What does Halruaa think of Shade, I know some Elders are practicing shadow magic and I think you'll agree with me that neither Zalathorm nor Matteo would ally themselves with Shade. I am building a campaign in Halruaa, but I don't know what Halruans think of Shade in general. Any help in clearing this up would be greatly appreciated.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2005 :  23:15:33  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Naeryndam

I have asked this same question a few times before, but I'm going to give it another try. What does Halruaa think of Shade, I know some Elders are practicing shadow magic and I think you'll agree with me that neither Zalathorm nor Matteo would ally themselves with Shade. I am building a campaign in Halruaa, but I don't know what Halruans think of Shade in general. Any help in clearing this up would be greatly appreciated.

Shade is thousands of miles away from Halruaa. I doubt they know much about it.

I think that once they find out about Shade, reactions will be mixed. Some won't want to have anything to do with Shade, since their ancestors fled from Netheril centuries ago. Others will be curious about it, and might make contact with Shade on a personal level.

As for official contact, I don't see it happening. Not only is there the issues of distance and Shade being part of Netheril, but there is also the fact that Halruaans tend to be more insular. And they certainly don't have a habit of trusting foreign spellcasters...

Now, as for Shadow Weave magic... I can see some turning to it, either simply to explore it or as a way to get an edge on rivals. With the way magic is regulated in Halruaa, though, I think that any Shadow Weave users would have to maintain a low profile -- I don't see it being tolerated, since it can, in effect, fly under the radar of normal magic use.

If the Elders aren't careful, the Shadow Weave could become a very disuptive influence in Halruaan society.

Go to Top of Page

Prince Forge of Avalon
Learned Scribe

USA
117 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2005 :  04:07:05  Show Profile  Visit Prince Forge of Avalon's Homepage Send Prince Forge of Avalon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually I see some interesting things that might happen in Halruaa since the Shade appeared, one of the things I remembered about shade was their desire to recover as many Netherese "artifacts" as possible and I dont doubt that there are a few in Halruaa. This might put the two at odds or worse.

It would all depend on on how any "first" contact went and thats definately a good idea to base a campaign around.

As far as official goes, I know theres a refence in Shining South about some Halruaa's converting to shadow magic, but I dont remember it going into much depth about it ( but even though they are over a thousnad mile s away from each other I know they are aware of Shade officially).

PFoA
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2005 :  06:52:43  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Naeryndam

Shade is thousands of miles away from Halruaa. I doubt they know much about it.

I think that once they find out about Shade, reactions will be mixed. Some won't want to have anything to do with Shade, since their ancestors fled from Netheril centuries ago. Others will be curious about it, and might make contact with Shade on a personal level.

As for official contact, I don't see it happening. Not only is there the issues of distance and Shade being part of Netheril, but there is also the fact that Halruaans tend to be more insular. And they certainly don't have a habit of trusting foreign spellcasters...

Now, as for Shadow Weave magic... I can see some turning to it, either simply to explore it or as a way to get an edge on rivals. With the way magic is regulated in Halruaa, though, I think that any Shadow Weave users would have to maintain a low profile -- I don't see it being tolerated, since it can, in effect, fly under the radar of normal magic use.

If the Elders aren't careful, the Shadow Weave could become a very disuptive influence in Halruaan society.

Naeryndam, Elaine Cunningham also provided some perspective in her own scroll with regard to this particular query -

quote:
Originally posted by ElaineCunningham

Naeryndam, the return of Shade occurred just as the events of the Counselors and Kings trilogy were drawing to a close. The wizards of Halruaa will have some serious adjusting to do, but I agree that neither Matteo nor Zalathorm would willingly become allied with Shade. A game product entitled The Shining South (written by Thomas Reed) was released after the novels; perhaps it sheds some light on the matter. I haven't read it--does anyone here know if it addresses this question?

Go to Top of Page

Anthor The Unforgiver
Acolyte

Turkey
15 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2005 :  07:08:16  Show Profile  Visit Anthor The Unforgiver's Homepage Send Anthor The Unforgiver a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was wondering if there is or will be made a continent or place like Africa.

The gods may forgive you,
BUT I WON`T

My name is Anthoriavalas, but people call me Anthor.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2005 :  07:43:03  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Anthor The Unforgiver

I was wondering if there is or will be made a continent or place like Africa.

In terms of climatic and environmental types, parts of southern Chult. I'd even go as far as saying that Raurin as the traditional desert region, resembles in part, the interior reaches of the African continent.

Edited by - The Sage on 07 Jul 2005 07:45:42
Go to Top of Page

Anthor The Unforgiver
Acolyte

Turkey
15 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2005 :  07:49:52  Show Profile  Visit Anthor The Unforgiver's Homepage Send Anthor The Unforgiver a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks friend

The gods may forgive you,
BUT I WON`T

My name is Anthoriavalas, but people call me Anthor.
Go to Top of Page

Eronthar Elvenkin
Acolyte

Turkey
11 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2005 :  09:41:46  Show Profile  Visit Eronthar Elvenkin's Homepage Send Eronthar Elvenkin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wonder what you people think about Calimport. Which resembles Turkey. Or the Horde, which also resembles Middle Eastern nomadic Turk tribes. Horde part is very suitable but the Calimpot more Arabic than Turkish. Why i insist it is Turkey, they put one of our mosques in the book of Calimport. And just for the record. Minarets are not fancy designed building for joy of sight, they are religious buildings that a mosque must have. Frankly this is really bugging me. Besides the disgusting figures, Salvatore partly tell it well. But I advice anyone who'll write a book about Calimport to study more Turkish history, especially the Ottoman Empire history.

PS: No hard feelings, i just want to make my point clear. I repeat again, No offense there.

Freedom Prevails...
Go to Top of Page

Lameth
Learned Scribe

Germany
196 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2005 :  10:49:00  Show Profile  Visit Lameth's Homepage Send Lameth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Prince Forge of Avalon

Actually I see some interesting things that might happen in Halruaa since the Shade appeared, one of the things I remembered about shade was their desire to recover as many Netherese "artifacts" as possible and I dont doubt that there are a few in Halruaa. This might put the two at odds or worse.

But what will they do with these old artifacts? I thought Shades only use the Shadow Weave?
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2005 :  16:40:40  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lameth

quote:
Originally posted by Prince Forge of Avalon

But what will they do with these old artifacts? I thought Shades only use the Shadow Weave?

They could likely still use the artifacts...

Also, since the Shades are Netherese, they likely consider such items to be rightfully theirs.

Lastly, the Shades aren't the most popular bunch. Grabbing old Netherese goodies means that said goodies can't be used against them -- regardless of whether or not they can themselves use them.

Go to Top of Page

Prince Forge of Avalon
Learned Scribe

USA
117 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2005 :  04:08:49  Show Profile  Visit Prince Forge of Avalon's Homepage Send Prince Forge of Avalon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
OK, I guess I just let Wooly anwser since he did such a good job, and as i remember it, the roundup of those items definately was a "Rightfully Theirs" kind of thing, and I dont doubt that they could still use them.

Heck with that thinking they could have mastery over BOTH weaves! hmmmm

PFoA
Go to Top of Page

Xandos Anskul
Acolyte

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2005 :  07:29:59  Show Profile  Visit Xandos Anskul's Homepage Send Xandos Anskul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've been a huge Forgotten Realms fan for years, but I just discovered this site. Before I go on, I just want to say its amazingly cool that authors and designers of Forgotten Realms take time to respond to people like me who post here. That's just... wow... kudos to all of you. Anyhow, I've been very interested since I've began exploring the Realms about magic in general and Netheril in specific and especially the living (so to speak) survivors of it. I guess these questions are kind of pointless, so I don't exactly expect a response, but I may as well ask them.

1) It is my understanding that Mystra's Ban on 10th level and higher spells took place soon after the fall of Netheril. However, does this ban apply to the Shadow Weave as well? On one hand, it seems Shar would want to protect herself as much as possible by ensuring that no one could threaten her with a spell such as Karsus' Avatar, but on the other the possibility of Netheril-like magic could be a strong lure to potential powerful wizards into the service of Shar. Furthermore, does this Ban by Mystra apply to things created with 10th level spells? My main question about this is because I assume Shade's mythallar functions due to the fact it relies on the Shadow Weave. However, if the Netherese city Opus were to leave Selune's plane (with it's own source of magic) and enter Faerun with the Weave, would its mythallar still function under Mystra's Ban?

2) As near as I can figure several of the most powerful Netherese survivors are Larloch, Telamont Tanthul (Lord Shadow), Ioulaum, and The Keeper (the demilich that oversees the Tomb Tapper Tomb). Other than the game statistics, which many people don't seem to put much stock in since there is much debate, can anything be said by the designers/creators about the relative power level of these beings compared to each other and perhaps what their views are on the workings of each other? They all are from the same deceased empire and have incredibly stores of magic and lore, and I would be interested in knowing the different ways each of them wishes to apply it, especially considering the recent return of Shade.

3)It is stated that Mystra has the ability to deny any deity access to the Weave or to deny their followers access to it. However, it also says that Ao would become angry at the balance of power that would be upset due to this. Would Ao tolerate this if Mystra was acting within her portfolio, such as rationalizing that she had to do it to save magic itself from some sort of catastrophe?

4) Would Netheril as a whole have been considered evil, nuetral, or good? It seems they oppressed some but also drove out many evil humanoids. Perhaps the alignment varied according to the ruler of each city? And, if so, was there a common law or rulership binding all the cities or was Netheril just a loose collection of city states, albeit flying ones? It seems archmages of old Netheril's stature would snub their nose at bowing to any sort of governmental body in my opinion. Just wondering.

5) If a lich is destroyed or disintegrated, does it actually create a new body for itself?

Anyways, I'd be thankful if you answered any of these but understanding if you answered none. Again, its an awesome thing you all have here.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2005 :  11:32:57  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Xandos Anskul

I've been a huge Forgotten Realms fan for years, but I just discovered this site. Before I go on, I just want to say its amazingly cool that authors and designers of Forgotten Realms take time to respond to people like me who post here. That's just... wow... kudos to all of you. Anyhow, I've been very interested since I've began exploring the Realms about magic in general and Netheril in specific and especially the living (so to speak) survivors of it. I guess these questions are kind of pointless, so I don't exactly expect a response, but I may as well ask them.

Welcome to Candlekeep!

If you don't know the answer, and you really want to know, then it's not a pointless question.

quote:

1) It is my understanding that Mystra's Ban on 10th level and higher spells took place soon after the fall of Netheril. However, does this ban apply to the Shadow Weave as well? On one hand, it seems Shar would want to protect herself as much as possible by ensuring that no one could threaten her with a spell such as Karsus' Avatar, but on the other the possibility of Netheril-like magic could be a strong lure to potential powerful wizards into the service of Shar. Furthermore, does this Ban by Mystra apply to things created with 10th level spells? My main question about this is because I assume Shade's mythallar functions due to the fact it relies on the Shadow Weave. However, if the Netherese city Opus were to leave Selune's plane (with it's own source of magic) and enter Faerun with the Weave, would its mythallar still function under Mystra's Ban?

Mystra's Ban prevents the casting of 10th level spells (and higher). Ones that are already functioning are exempt.

Both Shade and Selunnara were not in the Realms when magic failed, so their mythallars never stopped working (or Selūne restored the one for Selunnara).

quote:

2) As near as I can figure several of the most powerful Netherese survivors are Larloch, Telamont Tanthul (Lord Shadow), Ioulaum, and The Keeper (the demilich that oversees the Tomb Tapper Tomb). Other than the game statistics, which many people don't seem to put much stock in since there is much debate, can anything be said by the designers/creators about the relative power level of these beings compared to each other and perhaps what their views are on the workings of each other? They all are from the same deceased empire and have incredibly stores of magic and lore, and I would be interested in knowing the different ways each of them wishes to apply it, especially considering the recent return of Shade.

I think Larloch is likely the most powerful non-divine entity in the Realms. I know Ed has said he's 46th level.

quote:

3)It is stated that Mystra has the ability to deny any deity access to the Weave or to deny their followers access to it. However, it also says that Ao would become angry at the balance of power that would be upset due to this. Would Ao tolerate this if Mystra was acting within her portfolio, such as rationalizing that she had to do it to save magic itself from some sort of catastrophe?

Any deity can deny access to their portfolio if doing so is in the interest of the portfolio itself. It's when they do it because something doesn't agree with their alignment that Ao gets tweaked.

quote:

4) Would Netheril as a whole have been considered evil, nuetral, or good? It seems they oppressed some but also drove out many evil humanoids. Perhaps the alignment varied according to the ruler of each city? And, if so, was there a common law or rulership binding all the cities or was Netheril just a loose collection of city states, albeit flying ones? It seems archmages of old Netheril's stature would snub their nose at bowing to any sort of governmental body in my opinion. Just wondering.

Each enclave pretty much followed its own rules, I believe. As for an overall alignment, that's a trickier question... I'd say Neutral with Evil tendencies. They didn't go out of their way looking for trouble or anything, usually, but they were rather ruthless and uncaring at times.

quote:

5) If a lich is destroyed or disintegrated, does it actually create a new body for itself?

This one I can't help you on, at the moment. I've not the time to research it. Sorry.

quote:

Anyways, I'd be thankful if you answered any of these but understanding if you answered none. Again, its an awesome thing you all have here.

I'm not a creator, but I'm glad to offer assistance.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 10 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000