Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Sun Deities that may exist now
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11701 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2016 :  00:34:25  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I was just thinking through pantheon stuff, and was wondering just how many different sun gods there are now. There's Amaunator, Lathander, and Re as the big three. There's also At'ar who may be Amaunator (though the stories of him are very dissimilar) and who may have been gone after the spellplague. There's also Tezca in Maztica (who ironically sounds more like At'ar just because he's evil).

Of these, it would appear that 3 of them all would have returned with the Sundering (Lathander, Re, and Tezca). So, at least 4 sun deities. Not sure what to do with this, but thought it was worth noting.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2016 :  12:13:16  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is also part of why I've never liked the idea of gods of different times of daylight.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2016 :  13:32:10  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Re and Tezca are from none Faerun Pantheons, Re is of Mulhorand Pantheon and is incarnated in flesh and Tezca would be Matizican.

Of interesting note is that Re and Horus are seperate again, I'll have to check if Horus is rated to the Sun on his own.
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2016 :  14:12:47  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I couldn't find his pre Horus Re domain, but I believe he was a God of the Sun, Sky, Moon, Falcons, War, Hunting, and homosexuality.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11701 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2016 :  16:35:06  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah, I know they're different pantheons. I just thought it was interesting that 3 sun gods disappeared during the spellplague (though granted, it was Horus-Re that disappeared and it was Re that came back), seemingly replaced by Amaunator, and 3 have come back, and Amauanator is "fading". Given that the original sundering of the two worlds also coincided with the death of the crystal sphere's first sun (and apparently the self sacrifice of a primordial <Arambar> on the Abeir side to create the steelsky)

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2016 :  01:49:07  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Horus came back too, he is a Sun God on his own right.

In FR I'd give him the Portfioloes of Sky, Falcons, the Hunt, and Homosexuality, and leave the Sun, Rulership, Law and so on to Ra.

I say homosexuality, because I came across an interesting Myth (historical not realmsian) where Set tried to prove his dominance by seducing Horus, but Horus cause Set semen and tossed it into the river. Horus then slipped his semen into Set's food.

They went before the Gods to see who should rule Egypt and the Gods called out to Set's sperm, which answered from the river, disproving Sets statement of sexual dominance, and then they called on Horus' sperm and it issued forth from Set's mouth.

I don't suggest that Myth actual gets added to FR, but I see no reason why Horus can't be the God of gay men.
Go to Top of Page

Green Giant
Seeker

USA
63 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2016 :  02:25:58  Show Profile Send Green Giant a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Does any god have the dusk portfolio? Cause that would add another to your list.
Go to Top of Page

Lilianviaten
Senior Scribe

489 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2016 :  04:02:50  Show Profile Send Lilianviaten a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gyor

Horus came back too, he is a Sun God on his own right.

In FR I'd give him the Portfioloes of Sky, Falcons, the Hunt, and Homosexuality, and leave the Sun, Rulership, Law and so on to Ra.

I say homosexuality, because I came across an interesting Myth (historical not realmsian) where Set tried to prove his dominance by seducing Horus, but Horus cause Set semen and tossed it into the river. Horus then slipped his semen into Set's food.

They went before the Gods to see who should rule Egypt and the Gods called out to Set's sperm, which answered from the river, disproving Sets statement of sexual dominance, and then they called on Horus' sperm and it issued forth from Set's mouth.

I don't suggest that Myth actual gets added to FR, but I see no reason why Horus can't be the God of gay men.

That's certainly an interesting myth, although I'm not sure how to make sense of it. Why though, would it seem natural for homosexuality to have a distinct god separate from heterosexuality? I can't parse out the reasoning.
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 06 Aug 2016 :  14:52:06  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Its simply in some cultures the "top" is concidered dominant, manly, compared to the bottoms, and so more "fit" to rule from that cultural perpective.

So it that myth is about establishing sexual dominance between Set and Horus and with it lthe right to rule.
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2016 :  18:24:50  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
@Green Giant: Myrkul had that portfolio but I'm unsure if he retains that area of influence in 5e. The 5e PH just notes Death (as do other deities such as Bhaal and Kelemvor).

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 07 Aug 2016 :  18:30:52  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Arcanamach

@Green Giant: Myrkul had that portfolio but I'm unsure if he retains that area of influence in 5e. The 5e PH just notes Death (as do other deities such as Bhaal and Kelemvor).

His ''writeup'' in the SCAG still lists dusk as part of his portfolio.

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2016 :  18:57:32  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'll note that they call Cyric the Black Sun, not sure if that counts.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2016 :  03:27:12  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gyor

I'll note that they call Cyric the Black Sun, not sure if that counts.

That's just his symbol.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000