Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 DM's Guild
 Darromar
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2016 :  21:13:16  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Any interest in the land of Tethyr, and in particular the new(ish) capital city?

Artemas Entreri
Great Reader

USA
3131 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2016 :  21:29:25  Show Profile Send Artemas Entreri a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Of course!

Some people have a way with words, and other people...oh, uh, not have way. -Steve Martin

Amazon "KindleUnlimited" Free Trial: http://amzn.to/2AJ4yD2

Try Audible and Get 2 Free Audio Books! https://amzn.to/2IgBede
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3286 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2016 :  22:13:39  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
YES! YES! YES!

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep

Edited by - Brimstone on 05 Jul 2016 22:13:56
Go to Top of Page

Adhriva
Learned Scribe

USA
147 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2016 :  23:37:02  Show Profile  Visit Adhriva's Homepage Send Adhriva a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Color me intrigued. What do you have in mind?

Professional illustrator and comic book artist.
Portfolio
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11696 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2016 :  01:19:32  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Interested. What are you looking to do? Fill in the changes since the spellplague?

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6646 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2016 :  02:58:21  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ElaineCunningham

Any interest in the land of Tethyr, and in particular the new(ish) capital city?

Always interested in anything you have to say or write, Elaine.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2016 :  03:18:47  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

quote:

-- George Krashos

Ditto.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2016 :  04:06:19  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

-- George Krashos

I will echo friend Krash.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Rymac
Learned Scribe

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2016 :  05:49:21  Show Profile  Visit Rymac's Homepage Send Rymac a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Most definitely, in any of the timelines.

- Ryan
Go to Top of Page

BenN
Senior Scribe

Japan
382 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2016 :  06:18:59  Show Profile Send BenN a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Please, may I have some more?

(where is that gif of Oliver Twist begging for more gruel?)

Note: I'm not comparing Elaine's awesome creations to gruel.
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2016 :  07:33:44  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

-- George Krashos

Idd. I think this goes for nearly all FR fans.

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6353 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2016 :  08:43:02  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Im absolutely interested, and will almosy definitely be buying (finances permitting). However the usefulness to me will be determined by the era it is set in (in a pre spellplague only kind of guy).

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2016 :  15:58:05  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I don't have anything specific in mind, but I have an interest in Darromar since the unfinished novels RECLAMATION and THE SERPENT'S DAUGHTER are set, in no small part, in this city. In my personal timeline for Arilyn and Danilo, after the events of RECLAMATION, they settle in Darromar so that Arilyn can be near the Wealdath. Her moonblade keeps calling her there to help the forest elves with various conflicts, so Dan figured moving to Tethyr would cut down on travel time. And since he's a city guy with interests in trade as well as Harper intrigues, they compromised and settled in Darromar. Elaith also establishes a base in Darromar and struggles (not always successfully) to keep those businesses legitimate in an effort to create an untainted legacy for his daughter Azariah.

But I digress. Here are a few ideas:

I'm not a game designer, so an adventure is a bit out of my reach. So I'm thinking in terms of a book of lore, a history of Darromar that includes intriguing bits that could serve as adventure hooks. This strikes me as something that could, potentially, be useful to a wide range of gamers, as it could apply to pre-Spellplague campaigns without violating the DM Guild's "5E-only " guideline.

I'm also interested in Darromar because there are no detailed maps of the immediate area, much less the city itself. Fantasy cartography is a longterm interest. I dabbled with Campaign Cartography way back when, but I'd like to try building maps from the ground up with a vector art program. I've been working with Illustrator for over a year now, and as with any sort of art, the only way to learn it is to actually create art. I've been doing graphics for a web project, headers for a music newsletter, and various personal odds and ends, but I'd really like to try my hand at a map.

And I'm still trying to figure out how to sneak some fiction out to readers via the DM guild. The Pathfinder adventure modules include serial fiction. I wrote the 6-part novella for the "Legacy of Fire" adventure path, and that experience suggests a possible way to go.

Still thinking this through. Suggestions welcomed.

Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6353 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2016 :  16:24:47  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sounds awesome. A map i something i really need for my works but getting one without money is difficult.

The history of darromar would be lovely and useful both pre and post spellplague.

I cant wait to see it.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Adhriva
Learned Scribe

USA
147 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2016 :  18:55:30  Show Profile  Visit Adhriva's Homepage Send Adhriva a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Why a vector based map?

Portfolio
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2016 :  19:11:03  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Adhriva

Why a vector based map?

I'm working primarily with Illustrator, so that's my particular bias at the moment.
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2016 :  14:06:56  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Adhriva

Why a vector based map?

Do you have a better suggestion? Also open to new ideas!
Go to Top of Page

Adhriva
Learned Scribe

USA
147 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2016 :  16:06:33  Show Profile  Visit Adhriva's Homepage Send Adhriva a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think youre on the right track to play towards what you know best. It won't be easy, but no worthwhile challenges ever are.

If you're going to use illustrator, keep the image layers few. For example from my working habit: A background layer for basic land shapes and gradient meshes (I recommend doing this last as gradients will eat up your computer's resources), one for terrain markings(coastlines, ridges - you're going to bed playing with going from one pt of line thickness to another alot so be sure to keep it organized within the layer), a layer for styled iconography (trees, cities, towns, hills and any other premade icons), and one for text, roads, and national boundries. Avoid using images, as they aren't vector-based - just trace over any you need. Stay away from making fancy keys, compasses, old paper background, or map decor until the end (your computer will thank you for it).

Most traditional fantasy cartography is done in via raster images (photoshop, painter, etc.) as they are often printed for smaller mediums (e.g. not billboards or something that must be repeatably scaled over many mediums), have more control over subtle variations (such as gradual shifts in color), and are easier on a computer when things get extremely complex (a difference of having to render a set pixel vs an algorithm). Most fantasy cartography, but not all, even tries to capitalize on the lack of that perfectly rendered feel for that hand drawn and painted feel. I think it would be easier for what you want to accomplish from a purely tool assessment standpoint, but it would be more of a learning curve. As such, my suggestion is to do what you're doing now: start with what you know. Find your feet before you learn how to swim so to speak. Of course, given you have atleast a year of creating graphics under your belt and have had a long interest in the subject material, you might already be more prepared to tackle a new toolset then you realize.

If you want a guiding hand or feedback as you figure this out, feel free to send an email my way. Best advice I can offer is to make many, many mistakes; so little is learned when we get it right the first time compared to when we have to examine, assess, and try again. If you set aside enough time to hit the bumps in the road and to recover from them, you'll do just fine.

Portfolio

Edited by - Adhriva on 07 Jul 2016 16:12:05
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2016 :  20:11:49  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As for overloading your system, if you have a good computer that should not be a problem. Just shut down (make invisible layers you don't need to see all the time). I'm pretty terrible at visual arts, but use vector-based CAD to do d&d mapping and have never had a problem, even with thousands of objects and dozens of layers. Build your own objects though - premade objects tend to be heavy on rendering.
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2384 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2016 :  22:35:09  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I think looking for suggestions on maps not for immediate use in RPGT is likely to be most fruitful at Cartographers' Guild rather than DM's Guild.
But yeah, vector graphics is an unusual choice for maps, though not exotic.
The part of it may be that vector image rendering tend to get noticeably slower with more details, and when zooming out, objects are going to clutter rather than being scaled down into dots. But at least on "general shape and main land features" type of maps it should not really matter... as long as the cartographer doesn't run on rampage with "here there be dragons" to fill the blank space.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2016 :  02:37:28  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TBeholder

quote:

I think looking for suggestions on maps not for immediate use in RPGT is likely to be most fruitful at Cartographers' Guild rather than DM's Guild.
But yeah, vector graphics is an unusual choice for maps, though not exotic.
The part of it may be that vector image rendering tend to get noticeably slower with more details, and when zooming out, objects are going to clutter rather than being scaled down into dots. But at least on "general shape and main land features" type of maps it should not really matter... as long as the cartographer doesn't run on rampage with "here there be dragons" to fill the blank space.

I can see the value of using PhotoShop or Painter for most maps. Why I'l leaning toward Illustrator is the ability to create clean geometric shapes to represent buildings. I would love to have a detailed map of Darromar, one similar to the 2nd edition Waterdeep map that zoomed down to a street-and-building level of detail. I'll probably end up combining programs, but using a vector program for buildings and roads makes sense to me. Of course, I may feel differently once I start in on it...

Go to Top of Page

Adhriva
Learned Scribe

USA
147 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2016 :  02:52:28  Show Profile  Visit Adhriva's Homepage Send Adhriva a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You can use the selection, stroke, and shape tools to great effect of creating very clean lines so you're not switching programs all day long.

Portfolio
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2016 :  08:07:08  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I used to use Illustrator Vector Graphics for my map icons, but after I lost all those files, I haven't bothered to rebuild my symbol library again.

If you just crank the PPI up to 300 you wouldn't have to worry about vectors - you'd just be building the whole map at the tiniest scale, which is a lot of work, but I think its worth it. I use GIMP these days - it doesn't have all the automated processes PS does, but because of that, you have to do everything manually, which makes you a better artist in the long run (for example, to get your text to 'glow', or even to curve, its a 4-5 step process, rather than a single click). Because of all that extra work, I had to learn how to use a lot of tools I would have otherwise ignored (when I used PS, I probably didn't use 90-95% of the features). Between that, and learning how to use layers properly, there is nothing you can't accomplish with GIMP (or Potoshop) that you can do with Vectors.

I do miss the 'polar projection' feature in PS, but I could probably just get a plugin for GIMP for that. Its really the only way to get the north and south poles accurate on a world map. Of course, since you are doing a city, none of that matters.

P.S. - I've also been tinkering with Campaign Cartographer lately. I might use it make a friend a map, or one for myself to run an adventure, but I just don't think its powerful enough to make professional looking maps. Once you get used to all the amazing things you can do with GIMP, PS, Illustrator, etc., it's like taking a giant step backwards using CC.

Oh, and most of us 'fantasy cartographers' use several programs to get the look we want - I'm actually doing the geography portions of a map in GIMP right now, and then I will load that into CC for all their great looking map symbols (it looks more 'fantasyish' with little buildings, etc., than icons). Afterward, I will load it back into GIMP (or Inkscape) for the text. It really all depends on how crazy you want to get, and what sort of 'feel' you want the map to have.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 13 Oct 2016 08:22:46
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2016 :  14:24:13  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

I used to use Illustrator Vector Graphics for my map icons, but after I lost all those files, I haven't bothered to rebuild my symbol library again.

If you just crank the PPI up to 300 you wouldn't have to worry about vectors - you'd just be building the whole map at the tiniest scale, which is a lot of work, but I think its worth it. I use GIMP these days - it doesn't have all the automated processes PS does, but because of that, you have to do everything manually, which makes you a better artist in the long run (for example, to get your text to 'glow', or even to curve, its a 4-5 step process, rather than a single click). Because of all that extra work, I had to learn how to use a lot of tools I would have otherwise ignored (when I used PS, I probably didn't use 90-95% of the features). Between that, and learning how to use layers properly, there is nothing you can't accomplish with GIMP (or Potoshop) that you can do with Vectors.

I do miss the 'polar projection' feature in PS, but I could probably just get a plugin for GIMP for that. Its really the only way to get the north and south poles accurate on a world map. Of course, since you are doing a city, none of that matters.

P.S. - I've also been tinkering with Campaign Cartographer lately. I might use it make a friend a map, or one for myself to run an adventure, but I just don't think its powerful enough to make professional looking maps. Once you get used to all the amazing things you can do with GIMP, PS, Illustrator, etc., it's like taking a giant step backwards using CC.

Oh, and most of us 'fantasy cartographers' use several programs to get the look we want - I'm actually doing the geography portions of a map in GIMP right now, and then I will load that into CC for all their great looking map symbols (it looks more 'fantasyish' with little buildings, etc., than icons). Afterward, I will load it back into GIMP (or Inkscape) for the text. It really all depends on how crazy you want to get, and what sort of 'feel' you want the map to have.

Thanks for the detailed reply! Sadly, my initial enthusiasm for the DMs Guild has waned, as it appears that fiction will not be included any time soon. My interest in FR lore is considerable, but it was always based in storytelling rather than gaming. So... ::sadface::
Go to Top of Page

Sunderstone
Learned Scribe

104 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2016 :  14:38:26  Show Profile Send Sunderstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Thanks for the detailed reply! Sadly, my initial enthusiasm for the DMs Guild has waned, as it appears that fiction will not be included any time soon. My interest in FR lore is considerable, but it was always based in storytelling rather than gaming. So... ::sadface::

Sorry to hear that, the FR is certainly richer as a living breathing world because of your storytelling! I'm not sure anyone brought the city of Waterdeep to life for me the way your stories did! It made gaming there as familiar as a trip to the big city next to door to where I live!
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2016 :  23:42:07  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm actually playing around with another program right now, that I've used RW - an architectural one - that may be well-suited for adventure design with some tweaks (You can 'walk through' any floorplan you make in 3D!)

I'm sorry to hear about you not being able to do something for the DM's Guild - I am being drawn in that direction myself at the moment. Have you considered partnering with someone like Eric Boyd or Steven Schend, and have them do the 'game aspect' of whatever you write?

In other words, it would be something along the lines of what Paizo did with their AP's - a little story and then an accompanying, related adventure (and by 'related', it could just mean the same geographic location). You write the 'lore' end of things, and they do the 'crunchy bits'. That might be a win-win, and if you couple with another big name in gaming (like those two I mentioned above), it could generate more sales through cross-pollination.

It would be a real shame to lose-out on your wonderful talents, Elaine, just because the DM's guild focus is mostly adventure-driven.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 29 Oct 2016 23:42:34
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2016 :  03:48:30  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That is a wonderful idea, Markus.

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2016 :  13:08:40  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fellfire

It IS a great idea. I would love to try something like this.

However.

I'm guessing that items on the DMs Guild are selling, at best, a few dozen copies. WotC takes half, and the two creators would split the other half. We're talking many, many hours of work for very little return. Pizza and a six-pack, if you're lucky. DMs Guild is great for people who want to share their love of the hobby. For people who are actually attempting to make a living from their writing, not so much.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2016 :  14:22:40  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Fellfire

It IS a great idea. I would love to try something like this.

However.

I'm guessing that items on the DMs Guild are selling, at best, a few dozen copies. WotC takes half, and the two creators would split the other half. We're talking many, many hours of work for very little return. Pizza and a six-pack, if you're lucky. DMs Guild is great for people who want to share their love of the hobby. For people who are actually attempting to make a living from their writing, not so much.

I'd be willing to pay the price for a pizza and a six-pack, for such material. And depending on the lore, that six-pack might be my favorite Irish cider.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6353 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2016 :  14:25:38  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
i think wooly is tryinh to say that he'd happily help for free.

if so he is not the only one i think.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2016 :  22:42:43  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How about a steak dinner with a nice Cabernet?

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Edited by - Fellfire on 31 Oct 2016 22:43:44
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000