Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Volo returns.... sort of
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

arctic79
Acolyte

Australia
7 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2016 :  21:24:37  Show Profile Send arctic79 a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
http://www.thebookseller.com/news/kings-road-publish-official-dungeons-and-dragons-titles-326051
Wotc hasn't announced anything yet,so it may change. It may be more for younglings than old sages, still it is more realms stuff.

Let's hope ed is involved.

Bulak
Acolyte

Netherlands
26 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2016 :  22:57:17  Show Profile Send Bulak a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It doesn't seem to have much to do with the previous Volo's guides if it's anything like the other volumes of the same 'Ology' series, and... well... Dungeonology. It might be a good introduction to the Forgotten Realms and/or D&D (or just a generally interesting book) for pre-teens. To me this doesn't at all seem like something Ed would be involved, but I definitely wouldn't mind if I was wrong.

Also: A Forgotten Realms colouring book?!
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2016 :  05:44:44  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bulak

Sigh... why even bother anymore? What's next? Realms decorated paper plates and sippie cups?

When you're actually, deep down, hoping for a Realms McDonald toy down the line, things have ended.
Go to Top of Page

Caolin
Senior Scribe

768 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2016 :  06:31:57  Show Profile Send Caolin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Purple Dragon Knight

quote:
Originally posted by Bulak

Sigh... why even bother anymore? What's next? Realms decorated paper plates and sippie cups?

When you're actually, deep down, hoping for a Realms McDonald toy down the line, things have ended.

Yep, Ed must be rolling in his grave.....oh wait.
Go to Top of Page

Shadowsoul
Senior Scribe

Ireland
705 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2016 :  06:47:55  Show Profile Send Shadowsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is this some kind of April Fools joke they forgot to announce on April Fools Day?

I wonder who's idea this was?

“Fantasy is escapist, and that is its glory. If a soldier is imprisioned by the enemy, don't we consider it his duty to escape?. . .If we value the freedom of mind and soul, if we're partisans of liberty, then it's our plain duty to escape, and to take as many people with us as we can!”
#8213; J.R.R. Tolkien

*I endorse everything Dark Wizard says*.
Go to Top of Page

Seethyr
Master of Realmslore

USA
1151 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2016 :  13:40:25  Show Profile  Visit Seethyr's Homepage Send Seethyr a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It will be the the first gift my daughter opens up for Christmas next year. Anything that might draw in young players for our next generation of Realmsians cannot be a bad thing.

Follow the Maztica (Aztec/Maya) and Anchorome (Indigenous North America) Campaigns on DMsGuild!

The Maztica Campaign
The Anchorome Campaign
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2016 :  15:05:43  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Coloring books for adults have gotten quite popular in the last few years. I'm not surprised that WotC has decided to jump on that bandwagon -- it's not the first time they've decided to cash in on an existing trend.

I'm kinda interested in it, myself.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Bravesteel
Acolyte

USA
23 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2016 :  18:26:18  Show Profile Send Bravesteel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm relatively neutral about it. It's been pointed out that it could be a great way to get younger people into the Realms, and
D&D in general, but I'm a little miffed because I want more actual novels and RPG supplements.

I loved to read and to write, but then something happened. As I made my way through school, I kept getting handed books to read that didn't excite me and didn't even remotely connect to the realities of my life.- R. A. Salvatore

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 09 Apr 2016 :  22:18:53  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't know that a coloring book would prevent the production of an RPG supplement (which they don't seem willing to do, anyway) or a novel. It's not like they have only one single resource pool to draw from.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 10 Apr 2016 :  01:52:59  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They're both licensed products from what I've read, meaning that if anything, they'll make future RPG supplements more likely because WotC will be getting paid for hardly lifting a finger.

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/
Go to Top of Page

moonbeast
Senior Scribe

USA
522 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2016 :  07:07:08  Show Profile Send moonbeast a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Like others said…. WotC is NOT doing these projects themselves. They are merely licensing off the branded products to other companies. So I don't know why some of you are quick to opine that these projects would (ahem) "get in the way" of WoTC working on more serious D&D gaming products.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000