Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 DM's Guild
 Moonblades
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 9

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11692 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2016 :  00:42:46  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
>>Can you create a feat to represent the benefits gained by an elven bond, and also include what is different should a moonblade be involved? (I >>really liked the Arilyn-Danilo connection that the sword seemed to accept and at times facilitate or empower.)

Oooooooo, this is a good question.... because didn't Danilo pick up her weapon once.... its been a long time since I read it?

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2016 :  01:10:58  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

>>Can you create a feat to represent the benefits gained by an elven bond, and also include what is different should a moonblade be involved? (I >>really liked the Arilyn-Danilo connection that the sword seemed to accept and at times facilitate or empower.)

Oooooooo, this is a good question.... because didn't Danilo pick up her weapon once.... its been a long time since I read it?

He picked it up in Elfshadow, so he could take it back to her when she left it behind. Later, in the same book, she handed it to him.

In later books, Danilo has a habit of reaching out and touching the sheathed sword. After Silver Shadows, he lost that option, but it was no longer necessarily, because Arilyn realized what he was doing and made it clear he didn't have to use the sword as a stand-in any longer.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2382 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2016 :  05:33:06  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

For instance, what if its a FEAT to be able to wield a moonblade. You could write up some prerequisites, such that it makes it hard for someone to take said feat unless they're of a certain royal line, etc.... but then you can give the person certain abilities as a result.

Is this a good idea, given how wildly the requirements differ, and all? It's going to be a placeholder.
quote:
In doing this, the weapon becomes more than just another weapon that someone will drop whenever something better comes along. [...] After all, they had to take a FEAT just to pick the damn thing up
If mechanics (let alone so crude) could create roleplay (any more than background based generation system), wouldn't we have some actual examples of such a groundbreaking effect by now?
Also, even assume PC should get them at all, claiming a Moonblade in itself is even more permanent than having a familiar, and keeping it is no less demanding - remember "no separation" thing?.. A familiar can be at least left behind while planewalking (though it's more complex with homunculi).

For the elven empathic link - maybe, though it's still clunky.

quote:
Originally posted by ElaineCunningham

I don't think elves consider a family name to be a barrier to inheritance. So yes, a Bigears could inherit his or her mother's Leafhugger sword.

Indeed, it would be even more of a puzzle if they cared about names. But does it imply that?..
1) There's almost no way to be sure that there are no possible heirs, even before we drag planewalking into it. Unless a moonblade "goes cold" indicating than the heir is indeed the last detectable, and then she dies soon after. Or even then it's still possible that there's some not yet born by-blow who will be eligible later?
2) One can be a valid heir to moonblades of multiple clans. Is this culled to a single clan if an elf claims a moonblade, or continues to apply to said elf's offspring anyway?

Also, is there any way to find out whether a descendant of some elven orphan is actually related to one of those clans, whether thriving or presumed extinct?
Humans at least got priests of Siamorphe, but how the elves handle this?

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

Joran Nobleheart
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2016 :  06:53:45  Show Profile  Visit Joran Nobleheart's Homepage Send Joran Nobleheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If I may, is it ever possible to actually contact and speak with the intelligence of the moonblade, or the part of the soul that is contained of a previous wielder? I think that might be interesting. Especially if you're the only member left of your House, and simply want to know more about the people that wielded the blade before you.

Paladinic Ethos
Saint Joran Nobleheart

Edited by - Joran Nobleheart on 16 Mar 2016 06:55:07
Go to Top of Page

BenN
Senior Scribe

Japan
382 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2016 :  07:32:45  Show Profile Send BenN a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TBeholder
quote:

I don't think elves consider a family name to be a barrier to inheritance. So yes, a Bigears could inherit his or her mother's Leafhugger sword.

Indeed, it would be even more of a puzzle if they cared about names. But does it imply that?..
1) There's almost no way to be sure that there are no possible heirs, even before we drag planewalking into it. Unless a moonblade "goes cold" indicating than the heir is indeed the last detectable, and then she dies soon after. Or even then it's still possible that there's some not yet born by-blow who will be eligible later?
2) One can be a valid heir to moonblades of multiple clans. Is this culled to a single clan if an elf claims a moonblade, or continues to apply to said elf's offspring anyway?

Also, is there any way to find out whether a descendant of some elven orphan is actually related to one of those clans, whether thriving or presumed extinct?
Humans at least got priests of Siamorphe, but how the elves handle this?

For me, this also highlights a puzzle about elven society, culture & mores, specifically how elves feel about the importance of bloodline & children born 'in wedlock'.

On the one hand, you have moon & sun elf noble houses being very proud of their family lines (being able to recite their lineage etc), so presumably having kids who are confirmed to be of the line (i.e. not bastards) is very important.

On the other hand, I get the impression that in the 'general' elven society of commoners, things are much more free & easy, wedded partnerships are relatively transient, and having children 'out of wedlock' is not a big deal, as children are brought up by the community to some extent.

As for how this pertains to moonblades - presumably only nobles can hope to wield one, because if you don't know who your father is, you can't be sure of your bloodline, right?

Maybe I'm thinking about this too much......
Go to Top of Page

Nacopa
Acolyte

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2016 :  07:57:43  Show Profile Send Nacopa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Joran Nobleheart

If I may, is it ever possible to actually contact and speak with the intelligence of the moonblade, or the part of the soul that is contained of a previous wielder? I think that might be interesting. Especially if you're the only member left of your House, and simply want to know more about the people that wielded the blade before you.

Good question. That's one I've been wondering about, too. It hedges on the purpose of the lore gems, but I feel the moonblades would be much more personal.

And here's a dark question that jumps a completely different direction: Can a wielder use the moonblade to end their own life? I imagine there aren't too many scenarios in which this is the better option, but in the lifetime of the moonblades it is possible that one elf may have found herself facing such a harsh reality.
Go to Top of Page

Rhaine
Acolyte

Australia
6 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2016 :  10:07:02  Show Profile Send Rhaine a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Perhaps some DM/Player advice for folks wanting to use the Inheritor background from the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide to have their character carry a dormant Moonblade in the hopes of becoming worthy of it and one day rekindling it?
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2016 :  10:50:56  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not Mrs. Cunningham, but I've been studying moonblades for a while and I think I can help a bit. Of course, Mrs. Cunningham will answer you better as soon as she can.
quote:
Originally posted by Nacopa
1.Has anyone attempted to find a way to prevent the whole of their soul from being bound to a moonblade?

To wield a moonblade is a life choice, is to be willing to give one's life to the People's cause. Finding a way around would make the choice pointless, and probably the wielder judged unworthy.
quote:
2.Could a twin bond affect the magic of a moonblade?

Arilyn could share her sword with Danilo for some time, it was the power she originally gave to her blade (Danilo's soul was also attached to the blade then, he even had an elfshadow in sun elf form). On the other hand, a former wielder of her blade has lost a twin sister and it originated the Elfshadow power. But I actually think it depends on how important is this bond in the wielder's life history. If it's very important, probably the power manifested will be related to it (maybe improving this bond).
quote:
3.If a moonblade rejects its wielder does the rune they provided vanish or remain?

It is possible. However, for the blade to reject an owner after it was previously accepted should be a very rare occasion.
quote:
4.Have there been any known green elves, sea elves, avariel, lythari or drow who have been accepted by moonblades?

In its original version, no. But moonblade lore was changed later, and even a human with elven blood was acepted. Let's see what this new article says.
quote:
5.What would happen if a deceased elf was Reincarnated via the 5e spell into a different humanoid race, then attempted to awaken a moonblade? (Is the soul enough or does the blade not care?) Same with a polymorphed elf.

Good questions! Elves avoid resurrection, but not necessarily reincarnation, as far as I remember in 2e. But anyway, when your afterlife is in a nice place as Arvandor, I think most would prefer not to come back. It is their deserved time of rest, after all. As for a polymorphed elf, if the polymorph is permanent, maybe the blade doesn't reject the wielder if he or she is trying to revert the situation. Or maybe he or she will carry the blade without using it until the situation is fixed. Remember that the blade represents the potential ruler of the elves, and not being an elf would exclude one from this role.
quote:
6.Would a moonblade automatically prevent divine resurrection spells on its wielder, including the Revivify spell?

Another good question. Maybe not the moonblade, but the choice of the elf in giving his or her own soul to the people. And remember that, if the family blade becomes dormant, all of its souls are finally released to eternal rest in Arvandor (and could be theoretically called back to life).
quote:
7.Can you create a feat to represent the benefits gained by an elven bond, and also include what is different should a moonblade be involved? (I really liked the Arilyn-Danilo connection that the sword seemed to accept and at times facilitate or empower.)

I play in 2e, can't help much here. As for Mrs. Cunningham, she is a writer, and not a game designer, and I think the game details will come with a work team. But let's see what she says, I'm not sure this feat will be in this material because it is not directly related to moonblades, is more a general elf feature (which can be affected by the moonblades' magic).
quote:
8.Can you describe the traditional ritual a hopeful inheritor would perform to awaken a moonblade?

Mrs. Cunningham once told me that it's not like a magical or complex ritual, but more like claiming, accepting and being accepted by the blade. As it happened to Arilyn, which wasn't prepared to inherit her mother's blade.
quote:
9.What are the vulnerabilities of the moonblades? If damaged, how could one be repaired? (High Magic and/or divine power?)

Mrs. Cunningham told me they were designed to be indestructible. Moonblades were based on Excalibur, I don't think I ever considered King Arthur's sword destruction. But both alternatives you offered are good.
quote:
10.Who is the oldest living moonblade wielder?

Dunno, and maybe this info still doesn't exist.
quote:
11.Could a soul from a moonblade possess a willing non-elf creature to use the sword fully?

Originally, I don't think so. The soul becomes part of the magic of the blade and empowers it. But maybe one power, with the adequate reason for it, could do that. On the other hand, since moonblades are so strongly tied to the elven race and rulership, once again I say that it's not interesting to it to be wielded by a non-elf (for it must inspire/rally/influence the elven people). Besides, the point of the blades is working when there is a worthy wielder, otherwise it remains unclaimed, not working by itself. Consider, too, that lost moonblades must be found by the elven people, if they could do that they would come back by themselves to their clans or to Evermeet.
quote:
12.How do elven societies keep unclaimed moonblades?

If active, they are kept by their families for someone to try to reclaim it in the future. If dormant, Mrs. Cunningham says they are kept in Evermeet, in honor to their clans. At least one source says that the living members of the clan keep the blade with them, and Mrs. Cunningham says that keeping it is to keep the memory of the clan's worth (even if it became dormant, they were worthy of having a blade and at least of trying to reclaim it to their last heir). The sword of a deceased clan would probably be kept in a palace or in a sort of museum in Evermeet (like the "Hall of the Ancients" in Leuthispar).
quote:
13.Are elves cursed with lycanthropy eligible for moonblades?

I think my answer for a permanently polymorphed elf applies here.

Well, I hope I helped, let's see what else Mrs. Cunningham says.

EDIT: Missed one of the questions, now it's answered.
Haven't seen page 2 until I posted...

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)

Edited by - Barastir on 16 Mar 2016 13:14:33
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2016 :  11:29:11  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Joran Nobleheart

This is a nice idea, maybe not for all moonblades, but as one power for a specific blade. One that belonged to someone who valued very much and had a special relationship with a tutor (which could be the previous owner of the blade, maybe a priest or wizard).

Lead by example.

(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2016 :  11:35:58  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert
(...)
And then the family dies out.
(...)
Would the son of Lady Elfia Leafhugger, who married into the Bigears family, considered an heir and eligible to try drawing the blade?

Elves are not patriarchal or attached to names, it's more a matter of blood. If Lady Elfia survived, the family haven't died out.
I've asked Mrs. Cunningham some time ago if an elf which used his mother's family name would be able to use the blade with her father's clan name. She said no problem, and then I theorized that maybe the elf herself would then choose to start using her father's surname after the honor of being accepted by his family's blade. Or not, of course.

Lead by example.

(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2016 :  11:39:27  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
And here's a dark question that jumps a completely different direction: Can a wielder use the moonblade to end their own life? I imagine there aren't too many scenarios in which this is the better option, but in the lifetime of the moonblades it is possible that one elf may have found herself facing such a harsh reality.

Will this act be the best for the elven people? Because eliminating one possible ruler doesn't make much sense. That would be a very extreme case, now I cannot see how it would be the best for the elven cause.

Lead by example.

(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2016 :  11:41:23  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
All this talk of souls being claimed by the moonblade. I always thought this was a function of the Elfshadow power of the Moonflower blade and not endemic to all moonblades.

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2016 :  13:43:26  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fellfire

All this talk of souls being claimed by the moonblade. I always thought this was a function of the Elfshadow power of the Moonflower blade and not endemic to all moonblades.

That is my understanding, as well. But what do you think--is this an issue that should be broadened?
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2016 :  14:23:02  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

That is my understanding, as well. But what do you think--is this an issue that should be broadened?

I don't think so. I am content that all moonblades are unique and if Arilyn's blade exacts a greater service from it's wielder than that is just one more thing that makes it special.

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2016 :  14:24:43  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Unless the elfshadow power was the very first one embedded in Arilyn's sword, then it stands to reason that the souls of all moonfighters are bound to the blades -- otherwise, her sword would have had just the one elfshadow available, not ones for all the past wielders.

Danilo's soul being bound to the blade also, to me, indicates that the source of a moonblade's new power is the bound soul of the wielder.

And when Arilyn gave up the blade, and thus broke her bond to it -- the power she'd added was lost. This, to me, further indicates the power the blade gets comes from the bound soul of the wielder.

That was the impression I got from reading the books, too -- that wielding a moonblade meant a delay between dying and actually going to Arvandor, and heirs who were prepared for wielding a blade explicitly knew that. When a blade goes dormant, the souls are released -- and this also backs up how difficult and extraordinary it would be to reawaken a blade.

It could be argued, though, that Arilyn misunderstood, and that only a part of the wielder's soul is bound to the blade -- though the "unoccupied" body of Zoastria would argue against that.

It could also be that the soul-binding was something unique to Arilyn's sword... After all, we've not seen a lot of these things in action. Though in that case, you've got to explain why her sword is different, and again explain the apparent binding of all its wielders.

At least, that's my read on it. I could, obviously, be entirely mistaken.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 16 Mar 2016 14:35:41
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2016 :  14:39:23  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Also, the binding of souls could also explain why it becomes more and more difficult to claim a moonblade, after a few generations -- you're not just being judged by the blade itself, but by all the former wielders. Maybe not individually ("Great-great-grandmother Elfira thinks you're wonderful, but Great-granduncle Grimelf thinks you're a waste of pointed ears!"), but as a kind of collective consciousness.

Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2016 :  14:41:53  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If the purpouse of the moonblades was to decide the royal house of all the elves, should not all of them go dormant now that Amlaruil (and Zaor before her) sits on the throne?

Misanthorpe

Edited by - Fellfire on 16 Mar 2016 14:46:39
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2016 :  14:50:11  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't think the moonblades were intended as tools of insurrection or regicide.

Misanthorpe

Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2016 :  15:01:17  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My understanding of the blades is similiar to Wooly's, for all I understood since the "soul issue" was first raised in the books. That's why I said, in response to the first question from Nacopa, that "To wield a moonblade is a life choice, is to be willing to give one's life to the People's cause." (I'm sure I took this idea from a book or from a declaration from Mrs. Cunningham, at some point). And the question on the Elfshadow not being the first power of Arilyn's moonblade is very relevant, too.

Lead by example.

(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2016 :  15:03:04  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Also, the binding of souls could also explain why it becomes more and more difficult to claim a moonblade, after a few generations -- you're not just being judged by the blade itself, but by all the former wielders. Maybe not individually ("Great-great-grandmother Elfira thinks you're wonderful, but Great-granduncle Grimelf thinks you're a waste of pointed ears!"), but as a kind of collective consciousness.

Not sure if I agree with this, but it is an interesting point of view...

Lead by example.

(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2016 :  15:05:50  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

If the purpouse of the moonblades was to decide the royal house of all the elves, should not all of them go dormant now that Amlaruil (and Zaor before her) sits on the throne?

The powers of other blades were kept to support the royal house and also to warrant that a worthy substitute would be available in case the royal family died all out, somehow.

Lead by example.

(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2016 :  15:08:11  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Unless the elfshadow power was the very first one embedded in Arilyn's sword, then it stands to reason that the souls of all moonfighters are bound to the blades -- otherwise, her sword would have had just the one elfshadow available, not ones for all the past wielders.

Danilo's soul being bound to the blade also, to me, indicates that the source of a moonblade's new power is the bound soul of the wielder.

And when Arilyn gave up the blade, and thus broke her bond to it -- the power she'd added was lost. This, to me, further indicates the power the blade gets comes from the bound soul of the wielder.

That was the impression I got from reading the books, too -- that wielding a moonblade meant a delay between dying and actually going to Arvandor, and heirs who were prepared for wielding a blade explicitly knew that. When a blade goes dormant, the souls are released -- and this also backs up how difficult and extraordinary it would be to reawaken a blade.

It could be argued, though, that Arilyn misunderstood, and that only a part of the wielder's soul is bound to the blade -- though the "unoccupied" body of Zoastria would argue against that.

It could also be that the soul-binding was something unique to Arilyn's sword... After all, we've not seen a lot of these things in action. Though in that case, you've got to explain why her sword is different, and again explain the apparent binding of all its wielders.

At least, that's my read on it. I could, obviously, be entirely mistaken.

So does it stand to reason that the first power of ALL moonblades is Elfshadow?

Misanthorpe

Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2016 :  15:11:46  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Barastir

[quote]Originally posted by Fellfire

The powers of other blades were kept to support the royal house and also to warrant that a worthy substitute would be available in case the royal family died all out, somehow.
[/quote

I'll buy that, but why only moon elves? Are the golds somehow unfit for leadership? History disagrees.

Misanthorpe

Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2016 :  15:33:11  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just can't see the sunnies rolling over for that even if the Hand of Correllon shoved it down their throats

Misanthorpe

Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2016 :  15:41:02  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Barastir

[quote]Originally posted by Fellfire

[/quote

I'll buy that, but why only moon elves? Are the golds somehow unfit for leadership? History disagrees.

That's one of the major issues I need to revisit. It would appear that gold elves can and occasionally do inherit. Elaith expects Anariah to inherit the Craulnober blade, and she takes after her gold elf mother. He wouldn't risk her life if there was no expectation of success.
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2016 :  15:42:33  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
So many issues to address! For example, consider the state in which Arilyn found Zoastria. Then consider that Amnestria, Arilyn's mother, wielded this sword. THEN consider the possible succession implications of this.

Oy.
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2016 :  15:59:42  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It certainly won't be a chore to revisit Elfshadow, Elfsong and Silver Shadows, but I'm not certain if the line of succession was ever stated clearly.

Misanthorpe

Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2396 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2016 :  16:49:20  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

It certainly won't be a chore to revisit Elfshadow, Elfsong and Silver Shadows, but I'm not certain if the line of succession was ever stated clearly.

Nope, it wasn't. I have theories, but the succession is...problematic.
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2016 :  17:11:36  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
So does it stand to reason that the first power of ALL moonblades is Elfshadow?

Not if you don't necessarily associate the soul empowering a blade with the manifestation of this soul through an elfshadow. Maybe it only gives the sword magical power to allow it to have a new rune/property.

Lead by example.

(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 16 Mar 2016 :  17:18:51  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

True enough. Even because elven history changed after the origin of the moonblades publication... It is clear to me that this limitation was written because moon elf clans would have a better chance of accepting the rule of mankind over the world, while golds, which were noble but less tolerant (in general, as a race) would be less likely to generate entire bloodlines who would adapt well to a changing world.

This topic was largely discussed in many topics here in the keep through the last years, even recently in the Sages of the Realms' Moon Blades thread.

EDIT: As OUR world also changed and tolerance became mroe important and widely accepted, a value reflected in RPG - as one can see by the position of orcs in FR, Warcraft and other fantasy settings.

Lead by example.

(by Ed Greenwood)

Edited by - Barastir on 16 Mar 2016 17:24:53
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 9 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly