Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 DM's Guild
 Moonblades
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 9

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2395 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2016 :  17:06:52  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Hi, folks.

In early April, I'll be starting work on a hybrid project for the DMG. My current thinking is that it will include the following:

• The origin and purpose of the moonblades

• A brief general history

• History of several specific blades; i.e, Arilyn's sword, the Craulnober moonblade, the King Sword

• The story of another house's moonblade, told in a serious of short stories depicting pivotal events in the life of each wielder

• Apocrypha--The telling and debunking of tavern tales and legends such as the Evil Starym Moonblade

• 5E stats for several blades that are still "out in the wild" and available for use in campaigns, as well as suggestions on how to incorporate invent-your-own moonblades into a campaign

If there's anything else you'd like to see included, or questions you'd like answered, please add your suggestions in comments.

EDITED TO ADD ANOTHER QUESTION:

I would be very interested to see what price point you would consider reasonable. At this point, I'm estimating a word count of 30-50k.

Edited by - ElaineCunningham on 14 Mar 2016 17:40:20

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2016 :  17:34:42  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is incredibly fantastic.

I would like to see 5e stats for Arilyn, Elaith, Bronwyn, and Danillo.

A wizard is Never late Frodo Baggins. Nor is he Early. A wizard arrives precisely when he means to...
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2395 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2016 :  17:38:25  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mournblade

I hadn't thought of doing character stats. ::facepalm:: (Note to self: Try not to miss the MOST OBVIOUS THING quite so often.)

Thanks for the suggestion!
Go to Top of Page

JBarron05
Acolyte

1 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2016 :  17:39:30  Show Profile Send JBarron05 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You beat me to it! But yes stats would be great and possibly some lore as to what they might be doing (if said characters are still alive). I have been wanting to put Elaith in the campaign I am running.

I like that there will also be moonblades yet to be discovered so that the DM can make it possible for a player to find one. I never did like the rules for moonblades that the 5th Edition DMG had.

Edited by - JBarron05 on 14 Mar 2016 17:44:41
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2016 :  17:42:41  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Elaine. I'm really happy to see you working on the FR once again, and can't wait for this project to be published.

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.

Edited by - Irennan on 14 Mar 2016 18:09:47
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2016 :  18:27:49  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Can't think of something right now, but I'm VERY interested in it.

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2016 :  19:27:32  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is great news! As my screen name might suggest, I'm obviously curious as to the history of the Aunglor Moonblade, before Jassin slew Venom, but I think that will fall into the categories already given, if it makes it into the work at all. I'm happy with any info you might provide in general. [:-)]
I'm not the best person to ask about price points because I'm usually willing to pay more than most reviewers I've seen, so I'll withold further comment there.
Looking forward to seeing your work!

- Delwa Aunglor
I am off to slay yon refrigerator and spoil it's horde. Go for the cheese, Boo!

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus
Go to Top of Page

Joran Nobleheart
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2016 :  19:43:19  Show Profile  Visit Joran Nobleheart's Homepage Send Joran Nobleheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm also a member on the Fraternity of Shadows site, and one of the people that worked on the Adventurers League modules mentioned that they typically write 10,000 words for a four hour adventure. I believe those sell for $2.99. I think that would make asking perhaps $5 reasonable. I for one would be happy to pay that. :-)

Paladinic Ethos
Saint Joran Nobleheart
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2016 :  20:37:48  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
New Realms by you. I'll pay without checking the price tag. Ooh, ooh more Tincheron please. Nyssa too, although that may be a different tale I hope to see someday.

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Edited by - Fellfire on 14 Mar 2016 21:55:34
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2016 :  20:44:55  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd pay $5 in a heartbeat for this, and maybe even $10.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2016 :  21:49:10  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How big is 50k wordcountwise? 20 pages? 50?

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Edited by - Fellfire on 14 Mar 2016 21:53:47
Go to Top of Page

Joran Nobleheart
Senior Scribe

USA
495 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2016 :  21:54:30  Show Profile  Visit Joran Nobleheart's Homepage Send Joran Nobleheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I'd pay $5 in a heartbeat for this, and maybe even $10.

As would I! I have all of the Adventurers League modules downloaded, so if anyone was interested in how many words a certain module is, I could likely find out without too much trouble.

Paladinic Ethos
Saint Joran Nobleheart
Go to Top of Page

Bulak
Acolyte

Netherlands
26 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2016 :  22:01:06  Show Profile Send Bulak a Private Message  Reply with Quote
50k is half a novel. Although fantasy novels tend to be bigger than 100k... quite often a lot larger.
So, approximately half 'the Hobbit'.

Edited by - Bulak on 14 Mar 2016 22:04:20
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2016 :  22:13:27  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So, the smaller piece of half a hobbit? Sold.

Misanthorpe

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6641 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2016 :  23:10:27  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Elaine

Really looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

When you talk about "debunking" stuff like the Starym Moonblade, are you looking to re-write the material in "Volo's Guide to All Things Magical" (as in "it didn't happen") or to tweak the lore to provide an understanding/explanation of what occurred in relation to that blade? Just curious is all.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus

Edited by - George Krashos on 14 Mar 2016 23:11:11
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2395 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2016 :  01:30:27  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fellfire

How big is 50k wordcountwise? 20 pages? 50?

Most FR novels fell into the 90-110K word range. So with 50K we're talking the equivalent of half a novel. Not sure it would be quite that long. Probably fall closer to the 30K range.
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2395 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2016 :  01:33:39  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

Hi Elaine

Really looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

When you talk about "debunking" stuff like the Starym Moonblade, are you looking to re-write the material in "Volo's Guide to All Things Magical" (as in "it didn't happen") or to tweak the lore to provide an understanding/explanation of what occurred in relation to that blade? Just curious is all.

-- George Krashos

I was just discussing the "Evil Moonblade" issue in a private message, and it seems to me that the best approach would be to offer an alternate explanation, perhaps a class of copycat swords occasionally mistaken for moonblades. A more malleable magical item would give DMs and gamers a lot more leeway.
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2395 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2016 :  01:35:06  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Joran Nobleheart

I'm also a member on the Fraternity of Shadows site, and one of the people that worked on the Adventurers League modules mentioned that they typically write 10,000 words for a four hour adventure. I believe those sell for $2.99. I think that would make asking perhaps $5 reasonable. I for one would be happy to pay that. :-)

Yeah, I was thinking of somewhere in the $2.99 - $4.99 range. It would depend upon the final word count.
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2395 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2016 :  01:37:29  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fellfire

New Realms by you. I'll pay without checking the price tag. Ooh, ooh more Tincheron please. Nyssa too, although that may be a different tale I hope to see someday.

You're right--that's a different tale. For good or ill, neither Tincheron nor Nyssa have much to do with moonblades.
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2395 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2016 :  01:38:49  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by JBarron05

You beat me to it! But yes stats would be great and possibly some lore as to what they might be doing (if said characters are still alive). I have been wanting to put Elaith in the campaign I am running.

I like that there will also be moonblades yet to be discovered so that the DM can make it possible for a player to find one. I never did like the rules for moonblades that the 5th Edition DMG had.

The nice thing about RPG rules is that you can always adapt or ignore them.

Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2016 :  01:52:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ElaineCunningham

quote:
Originally posted by Joran Nobleheart

Yeah, I was thinking of somewhere in the $2.99 - $4.99 range. It would depend upon the final word count.

I'd happily pay $5 for what it's worth.
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2016 :  02:52:38  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by JBarron05

The nice thing about RPG rules is that you can always adapt or ignore them.

The Craulnober moonblade than, please. Sorry, my smartyphone is...incompatible wigh regular replies

Misanthorpe

Edited by - Fellfire on 15 Mar 2016 02:58:12
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2016 :  03:10:46  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
However, in Games of Chance, Tincheron was at least familiar with the dragonfear power of the blade. Good backstory there. How did he know? Was he schooled? Possibly groomed as an heir? Presumeably he knew more than Elaith

Misanthorpe

Edited by - Fellfire on 15 Mar 2016 03:17:06
Go to Top of Page

Nacopa
Acolyte

USA
12 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2016 :  08:12:47  Show Profile Send Nacopa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, I am stoked about this. Actually thinking about my questions is almost a chore through the storm of thoughts. And I apologize in advance for tangents.

First, moonblades fascinate me, and I am very excited for your interpretation through the 5e rules filter. I really feel that the DMG offers a great springboard, but it's obviously only that. In the game I run, my friend plays an Evereskan noble who is actually wielding another family's dormant blade, but their bloodline has died (though there is an interesting twist that I won't expound upon at this time). Your announcement comes at the perfect time, as I would love to have a greater resource for modern moonblades if she can indeed awaken the blade. And as to a specific request, I am curious how you will address the death by arcane fire property, since it was ignored in this edition (along with not being able to harm another elf). Would the Spellplague have possibly affected some moonblades, or could each blade evolve based on the souls bonded to it?

Second, on the subject of characters I'd like to know more about: Where to begin!? Obviously Liriel, Arilyn and Danilo, Elaith and the line of Samular. But, having recently read Thornhold and running Hoard of the Dragon Queen (the party is soon to reach Waterdeep and then embark north toward the Mere of Dead Men), I find myself looking for ways to incorporate Curious Past, Alice Tinker and possibly Cara. Then I checked the Sword Coast Adventurers Guide and I am intrigued by the Stoneshaft Clan's current position regarding Thornhold's ownership. So, definitely more of Ebenezer and Tarlamera! Even if Elaith just happened upon the shop when Ebenezer was visiting Alice!

Third, I will throw out some questions about moonblades I occasionally think of...

1.Has anyone attempted to find a way to prevent the whole of their soul from being bound to a moonblade?

2.Could a twin bond affect the magic of a moonblade?

3.If a moonblade rejects its wielder does the rune they provided vanish or remain?

4.Have there been any known green elves, sea elves, avariel, lythari or drow who have been accepted by moonblades?

5.What would happen if a deceased elf was Reincarnated via the 5e spell into a different humanoid race, then attempted to awaken a moonblade? (Is the soul enough or does the blade not care?) Same with a polymorphed elf.

6.Would a moonblade automatically prevent divine resurrection spells on its wielder, including the Revivify spell?

7.Can you create a feat to represent the benefits gained by an elven bond, and also include what is different should a moonblade be involved? (I really liked the Arilyn-Danilo connection that the sword seemed to accept and at times facilitate or empower.)

8.Can you describe the traditional ritual a hopeful inheritor would perform to awaken a moonblade?

9.What are the vulnerabilities of the moonblades? If damaged, how could one be repaired? (High Magic and/or divine power?)

10.Who is the oldest living moonblade wielder?

11.Could a soul from a moonblade possess a willing non-elf creature to use the sword fully?

12.How do elven societies keep unclaimed moonblades?

13.Are elves cursed with lycanthropy eligible for moonblades?

Lastly, I would pay 4.99 easily.
Go to Top of Page

Dewaint
Learned Scribe

Germany
148 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2016 :  10:38:42  Show Profile Send Dewaint a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Awesome news, looking forward to find it on DMG!

4,99$ sound fair to me, happy to pay that
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2378 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2016 :  17:17:05  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nacopa

Actually thinking about my questions is almost a chore through the storm of thoughts.

Half of this seems to be self-evident or already answered, however.

quote:
1.Has anyone attempted to find a way to prevent the whole of their soul from being bound to a moonblade?

It's kind of the whole point that anyone who claims (takes by the handle when it has no currently bound wielder) an elfblade with designated blade-rite gets either bound or zapped - with a few exclusions, such as "last in the line" for moonblades. No drawing it, no problem.
Do you mean, "can one wield it as a weapon without being judged and either bound or zapped"? Most likely, grabbing it in a magic-dead area won't initiate the test, but anything less probably isn't enough to prevent an artifact from working as intended. But what's the point?
Or via permanently modifying the moonblade so that it won't do blade-rite the way it was supposed to. Of course, tampering like this even with a lesser artifact is something ol' Grypht took as a good reason to doubt Finder's sanity. But with divine help plausible enough that rumours about the Starym moonblade weren't rejected outright.

quote:
2.Could a twin bond affect the magic of a moonblade?
7.Can you create a feat to represent the benefits gained by an elven bond, and also include what is different should a moonblade be involved? (I really liked the Arilyn-Danilo connection that the sword seemed to accept and at times facilitate or empower.)

IIRC Arylin's blade didn't just accept, but "made it happen" in the first place.
But it's a good question! How elven empathic links interact with moonblades? Their makers must have considered the matter.
The same goes for other such links - can the wielder's familiar grab a moonblade by the handle and fetch to the master, or it will be zapped (harming the wielder)?
What if someone made spell that provides this sort of connection temporarily? And what about "plain" Death Link/Fate Link effects - will the sword still zap someone if everything directly reflects on the wielder?

quote:
3.If a moonblade rejects its wielder does the rune they provided vanish or remain?

Novels had one case of a rune vanishing when the link was cancelled (on mutual agreement). Assuming the blade actually can on its own reject a still living wielder, the rune should vanish when the link with the wielder is severed, too.

quote:
5.What would happen if a deceased elf was Reincarnated via the 5e spell into a different humanoid race, then attempted to awaken a moonblade? (Is the soul enough or does the blade not care?) Same with a polymorphed elf.
6.Would a moonblade automatically prevent divine resurrection spells on its wielder, including the Revivify spell?

Theoretically, should work much like the phylactery of a lichnee - immediately upon death it pulls the subject in, from anywhere, and it's not even an artifact (unlike active moonblades). If so, no resurrections of any sort, nor raising as undead on the next sunset (other than mindless, which needs only body and some lifeforce residue) is possible for those bound to moonblades. Once the wielder is dead, the current cycle is complete - next, please.
The elves traditionally dislike all this whipper-snapper back and forth deal resurrections and do it even less often than anyone else, so there's no reason to assume they would bother to support this possibility. Besides, enforcing the "legally dead" status probably would not be seen as a drawback even without that - the moonblades were intended for nobles, and resurrections tend to create succession ambiguity.

Polymorph is an interesting question, but many wielders were wizards, and it would be strange if the moonblades' design didn't allows for this possibility.

quote:
12.How do elven societies keep unclaimed moonblades?

Lady Elaine mentioned that usually a heir (clearly not matching the blade, at least) can politely refuse, and keeping the moonblade unclaimed for generations until a fitting candidate emerges is normal. So probably most elves just treat an unclaimed moonblade as an unalienable heirloom of the clan X and a bit of sacred relic.

But what happens to permanently "cold" moonblades of the clans known to be extinct?
Though it's possible that elves simply err on the side of possibility that there may still be some lost heir somewhere - you never know...

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch

Edited by - TBeholder on 15 Mar 2016 17:28:34
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2016 :  18:09:36  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's an interesting thought... Say that the heir of house Leafhugger declines to draw the blade... And then the next few heirs also decline. And then the family dies out.

So the blade never was drawn by the last member of the house... Is it dormant? Is it viable? Would the son of Lady Elfia Leafhugger, who married into the Bigears family, considered an heir and eligible to try drawing the blade?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2016 :  18:28:58  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Mournblade

I hadn't thought of doing character stats. ::facepalm:: (Note to self: Try not to miss the MOST OBVIOUS THING quite so often.)

Thanks for the suggestion!

Can't wait to see it. However, just to throw out more options for you Elaine.... what if you developed rules for the WIELDERS of the blades. For instance, what if its a FEAT to be able to wield a moonblade. You could write up some prerequisites, such that it makes it hard for someone to take said feat unless they're of a certain royal line, etc.... but then you can give the person certain abilities as a result.

In doing this, the weapon becomes more than just another weapon that someone will drop whenever something better comes along. After all, they had to take a FEAT just to pick the damn thing up (and thereby lost a +2 bonus to some ability score or some other feat).

Not sure what you'd put in the feat, but I'm sure you could come up with something interesting.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2395 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2016 :  20:21:44  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

Can't wait to see it. However, just to throw out more options for you Elaine.... what if you developed rules for the WIELDERS of the blades. For instance, what if its a FEAT to be able to wield a moonblade. You could write up some prerequisites, such that it makes it hard for someone to take said feat unless they're of a certain royal line, etc.... but then you can give the person certain abilities as a result.

In doing this, the weapon becomes more than just another weapon that someone will drop whenever something better comes along. After all, they had to take a FEAT just to pick the damn thing up (and thereby lost a +2 bonus to some ability score or some other feat).

Not sure what you'd put in the feat, but I'm sure you could come up with something interesting.

This is an excellent idea. Thanks for the suggestion!
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2395 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2016 :  20:23:26  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

That's an interesting thought... Say that the heir of house Leafhugger declines to draw the blade... And then the next few heirs also decline. And then the family dies out.

So the blade never was drawn by the last member of the house... Is it dormant? Is it viable? Would the son of Lady Elfia Leafhugger, who married into the Bigears family, considered an heir and eligible to try drawing the blade?

I don't think elves consider a family name to be a barrier to inheritance. So yes, a Bigears could inherit his or her mother's Leafhugger sword.
Go to Top of Page

ElaineCunningham
Forgotten Realms Author

2395 Posts

Posted - 15 Mar 2016 :  20:25:43  Show Profile  Visit ElaineCunningham's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Nacopa

::LONG QUOTE REDACTED::

Nacopa, thanks for all the feedback. I'll be sure to address all of these questions when I start organizing material.

Edited by - ElaineCunningham on 15 Mar 2016 20:26:13
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 9 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000