Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Products
 Forgotten Realms RPG Products
 Tethyr Wars
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2004 :  19:38:08  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I'm all giddy, Steven emailed me and asked if I had any ideas on the Tethyr Wars!!! It's just like getting a reply from Ed. :)

Hmmm well let's see here I recall there were many ruins because of those wars scattered all over. Are there any that did not show up in Lands of Intrigue that can be discussed?

Ps: Steven, you don't by any chance, have that old elven lexicon that you once started, that was once hosted on the TSR/WOTC site? :)

Edited by - Alaundo on 11 Apr 2004 10:18:02

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2004 :  20:13:11  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kuje31

I'm all giddy, Steven emailed me and asked if I had any ideas on the Tethyr Wars!!! It's just like getting a reply from Ed. :)

Hmmm well let's see here I recall there were many ruins because of those wars scattered all over. Are there any that did not show up in Lands of Intrigue that can be discussed?

Ps: Steven, you don't by any chance, have that old elven lexicon that you once started, that was once hosted on the TSR/WOTC site? :)

Well, you're the one who kept mumbling about not being able to discuss Tethyr novels et al, so I figured we ought to let you get it out of your system.

Not much immediately leaps to mind, though there's more than enough ruined places mentioned in LOI that (between 1369 and 1372) may have already been fixed up. After all, Zelphar Thann's no slacker and it's his job to repair the infrastructure after the wars.

I was under the impression (from other posts) that you had other questions about the Reclamation Wars themselves. Don't have too much more info than what made it into print, but I can certainly expand on any info y'all feel is missing, too slight, or just made you go "hmmm....".

Thus, I guess this ought to be a broad discussion of what y'all got (or didn't get) out of Lands of Intrigue and Empires of the Shining Sea and Calimport; I tend to view all those combined as one master work given the history ties and the cultural stuff that straddles all three products.

And before anyone asks, no, we never did map out the new royal castle at Darromar; I'd suggest using one of the GH or DL castle maps from CASTLES, a great but relatively obscure 2E product.....

Steven
With random thoughts like Angie Harmon (formerly Law & Order) would be my perfect choice (especially for her voice) to be Zaranda Star-Rhindaun

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2004 :  20:18:30  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Steven sent his lexicon to someone, who seems to have added elements of Quenya and/or Sindarin before posting it somewhere online I can't remember (not wizards.com), though I have a copy (elven.xls). It would still be cool to see Steven's original notes. The file I have is missing things you'd think would be there, such as the elements from Veluthil ('beautiful of the evening').
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2004 :  20:55:41  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Steven Schend

Well, you're the one who kept mumbling about not being able to discuss Tethyr novels et al, so I figured we ought to let you get it out of your system.

Ah. Nay, I was just ranting about thier board rules mostly. It wasn't I who was asking after that information, it was another poster. I was just using his/her post to try to make a point about the novel rules over on WOTC's boards. :)

But a thread about the Tethyr Wars would still be an interesting discussion so any one else have any thing to add? :)

And Faraer can you send me that file then? It will do even if it isn't the original.......

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2004 :  21:22:10  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just remembered it was linked to from myth-drannor.net -- here's the site: http://hometown.aol.com/semberholme/language.htm
Go to Top of Page

Alrunes Sinethal
Acolyte

USA
17 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2004 :  02:57:07  Show Profile  Visit Alrunes Sinethal's Homepage Send Alrunes Sinethal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok, I haven't been following Tethyr since the War in Tethyr/Silver Shadow novels. Did anyone mentioned why did Lhaeo decided it's safe to come out of hiding, I mean after all he has been hiding for gods-know-how-long while Lucia Thione was flaunting it all :P Did he wanted to be prince? I thought he was one of those quiet prince that loves books more than people. Besides, was there any love-story ever published between the fiery Zaranda and the scribe Lhaeo? What did Storm has to say about that love affair? Or was the mariage a political convenience? ( I just can't picture Zaranda settling).

.........reborned from the ashes
belovéd of the dead.............
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 11 Apr 2004 :  19:09:09  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alrunes Sinethal

Ok, I haven't been following Tethyr since the War in Tethyr/Silver Shadow novels. Did anyone mentioned why did Lhaeo decided it's safe to come out of hiding, I mean after all he has been hiding for gods-know-how-long while Lucia Thione was flaunting it all :P Did he wanted to be prince? I thought he was one of those quiet prince that loves books more than people. Besides, was there any love-story ever published between the fiery Zaranda and the scribe Lhaeo? What did Storm has to say about that love affair? Or was the mariage a political convenience? ( I just can't picture Zaranda settling).

All of what you've asked for is in the history of Book 1 (Tethyr) in LANDS OF INTRIGUE, pages 39-46. Now if only I could write the Tethyr Reclamation up as fiction instead of as game history/background, it could be about the size of your average George RR Martin novel...

Steven

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2004 :  01:15:52  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
[br}
All of what you've asked for is in the history of Book 1 (Tethyr) in LANDS OF INTRIGUE, pages 39-46. Now if only I could write the Tethyr Reclamation up as fiction instead of as game history/background, it could be about the size of your average George RR Martin novel...

Steven

And how big a part would Timoth, Vaji, and Onyx the Invincible play?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 12 Apr 2004 :  02:17:41  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:
[br}

Steven

And how big a part would Timoth, Vaji, and Onyx the Invincible play?

Big enough that Timoth gets into one of the illos and Vajra ends up as Warlord of Tethyr and a duchess to boot!

SES

Go to Top of Page

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2004 :  21:20:09  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Has anyone made an attempt to place the tons of information in the series of products mentioned by SES into 3e? Since several chunks of it disappeared in the transition from 2e to 3e...WotC scissors took out some chunks of the map in the area... Most noteably the Duchy of Erlkazar, or the church of Ilmater.

Before switching to PbeM gaming I had a table-top game set in Eastern Tethyr featuring both above mentioned Duchy and the church of the Broken God. This was all pre-3e however. If I were to re-start something in that area agian, some effort would have to go into fitting some of the history of the region into the new geographical situation.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2004 :  23:20:40  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mumadar Ibn Huzal

If I were to re-start something in that area agian, some effort would have to go into fitting some of the history of the region into the new geographical situation.

I wouldn't bother. If you've got the old geographical references, run with those, instead. It's certainly easier.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2004 :  02:43:55  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mumadar Ibn Huzal

Has anyone made an attempt to place the tons of information in the series of products mentioned by SES into 3e? Since several chunks of it disappeared in the transition from 2e to 3e...WotC scissors took out some chunks of the map in the area... Most noteably the Duchy of Erlkazar, or the church of Ilmater.

Before switching to PbeM gaming I had a table-top game set in Eastern Tethyr featuring both above mentioned Duchy and the church of the Broken God. This was all pre-3e however. If I were to re-start something in that area agian, some effort would have to go into fitting some of the history of the region into the new geographical situation.

There's no reason why Erlkazar can't continue to exist as mapped in 2E within what they've produced in 3E. After all, the only real change to that area seems to be that they've made the entire area hilly, which it was in description anyways. If anyone's seen photos of the Scottish highlands, that's what I was going for in eastern Tethyr and Erlkazar. I think the only real change that might need to happen is to shrink farms and make them more hillside strip farms more than open fields (ala how they farmed in Peruvian highlands at Maichu Picchu et al).

Remember--the world doesn't change as much as the rules or how the gamers look at the world through those rules. After all, Elminster's been the same roguish gent he's always been, but how the rules allowed him to be seen have changed 4 times now...and he's still Elminster. Same goes for geography (sparing changes like Shade or Tilverton...)

Steven
who hopes you continue to get use out of Tethyr & environs even if WotC isn't....

Go to Top of Page

Mumadar Ibn Huzal
Master of Realmslore

1338 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2004 :  11:07:44  Show Profile Send Mumadar Ibn Huzal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Indeed nothing needs to be lost - Erlkazar has shifted a little to the west IMO and it does seem to work. One of the things that needs a little work is the mountains at the eastern end of Tethyr & Amn. The Kuldin Peaks are no longer a separate piece of the Giant's Run mountain range... they seem to have merged with the Omlarandins...

My post was to see how others dealt/deal with the 'changes' in the Lands of Intrigue area.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000