Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2016)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 9

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2016 :  19:25:49  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
...And a third...
deserk, re. "A question to Ed. I was wondering if he has roleplayed as a Gold Dwarf character before, and if he has or hasn't, how would a Gold Dwarf sound like according to him? More or less like a regular dwarf with a gruff voice or Scottish-like accent? Or are they haughty and aristocratic-like given their descriptions and histories from the books? Are also they grim and stern like many regular dwarves? Do they also have a distinct accent, since they are generally from the Shining South which is fairly remote from the Shield Dwarf communities in North Faerun?"

According to Ed, most dwarves have deep voices due to their physiology; many dwarves have gruff voices due to breathing in so much rock dust over the years. They only have Scottish accents if your DM and players want them to (they don't in the "home" Realms; Ed avoids all close real-world analogues because it leads to erroneous roleplaying assumptions [player thinks they know X about real-world folk, place, or history, and applies X to the Realms]). Grim and stern are human and elven judgments of dwarven mannerisms that apply to all dwarves if the judger thinks they do; all Ed will say is that dwarves tend to be less talkative/more emphatic than most other races. Gold dwarves are indeed more "aristocratic"/xenophobic than other dwarves, though this is a stereotype; hauteur is, yes, their general stereotypical behavior in the eyes of many across the Realms. Gold dwarves from the South (especially around the Great Rift) do have a distinct accent, though this fades over time for individuals who travel widely and live in places distant from the warm Southlands, and/or among non-dwarves.

Hope this is of help!

love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2016 :  16:31:12  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

And another...
From The Masked Mage: "Well met again Ed & THO/I'm currently reading the Shadow of the Avatar books. Just read the battle scene in Daggerdale and I'm wondering if any of those spells were ever flushed out for use in the home campaign. Spinning lightning that absorbs spells, "soul cages" etc. As one of the knights was there I thought perhaps the story came from a home session... I'd love to see more on any of them."

Almost none of Ed's fiction comes DIRECTLY from any play session; our "home campaign" Realmsplay tends to be too subplot-multilayered (and therefore "slow") for Realms fiction (George R.R. Martin was indulged in the wordcount necessary to tell tales his way, but Ed never has been, by either TSR or WotC). However, every single spell, magic item, and magical process ("ritual") in Ed's Realms fiction gets written up by him in game terms, and added to the lore. It rarely gets published, and even more rarely still unaltered and in close enough proximity to the fiction appearance and with Ed's name still on it for the connection to be obvious...but it all gets written up in game terms. Ed doesn't deem matters "fair," otherwise.

love,
THO

THO - could you pass on my request to Ed to see some of these write-ups :P or all of them (not to sound too greedy) :P

Thanks hooded lady !
Go to Top of Page

Marco Volo
Learned Scribe

France
201 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2016 :  18:48:31  Show Profile Send Marco Volo a Private Message
Hi Ed and THO ! I would like to know from Ed Realms campaign what a typical "Harper lair" could contain ?

I assume some magical lights, maybe one gate or two ?

Thanks !
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2016 :  19:03:58  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Marco Volo

Hi Ed and THO ! I would like to know from Ed Realms campaign what a typical "Harper lair" could contain ?

I assume some magical lights, maybe one gate or two ?

Thanks !

Do you have the Code Of The Harpers? Ed was a writer and if memory serves there was an entire chapter about this.
Go to Top of Page

Marco Volo
Learned Scribe

France
201 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2016 :  20:40:20  Show Profile Send Marco Volo a Private Message
Yes I have, thanks ! I don't know why but I forgot about it.
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2016 :  00:20:39  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Marco Volo

Yes I have, thanks ! I don't know why but I forgot about it.

Not a problem... also - Ed wrote a lot of articles for Polyhedron that described different locations. At least a handful of those were Harper related locations. Good luck hunting them down though these days.
Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2016 :  13:48:33  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Masked Mage

Ed wrote a lot of articles for Polyhedron that described different locations. At least a handful of those were Harper related locations. Good luck hunting them down though these days.

I was so happy when I got my collection. Still missing a couple though - they're tricky to track!

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2016 :  01:07:44  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by hashimashadoo

quote:
Originally posted by The Masked Mage

Ed wrote a lot of articles for Polyhedron that described different locations. At least a handful of those were Harper related locations. Good luck hunting them down though these days.

I was so happy when I got my collection. Still missing a couple though - they're tricky to track!

Only reason I subscribed to Polyhedron all those years ago.

I did check with Ed a while back re whether there were any unpublished Everwinking Eye columns on the Border Kingdoms as that magazine went defunct, and he told me there weren't. He did say that at least two columns were lost by Roger Moore somewhere along the way. I picked one (which Ed confirmed) as being in the Mulmaster stream.

So much great lore misplaced over the years. Wish I'd been at TSR when WotC took over, I would have been the proverbial FR magpie.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Rymac
Learned Scribe

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2016 :  03:33:48  Show Profile  Visit Rymac's Homepage Send Rymac a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

Only reason I subscribed to Polyhedron all those years ago.

I did check with Ed a while back re whether there were any unpublished Everwinking Eye columns on the Border Kingdoms as that magazine went defunct, and he told me there weren't. He did say that at least two columns were lost by Roger Moore somewhere along the way. I picked one (which Ed confirmed) as being in the Mulmaster stream.

Did any new locations get covered on the website and in the Shining South book? Or was the material in covered in those just updates from the Polyhedron articles? I never bothered to do a side-by-side comparison.

The fact that neither the website and the Polyhedron articles were never able to finish the full span of the Border Kingdoms is a travesty. It still remains one of the most enigmatic areas of Faerun.

- Ryan
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2382 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2016 :  13:31:28  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Rymac

The fact that neither the website and the Polyhedron articles were never able to finish the full span of the Border Kingdoms is a travesty. It still remains one of the most enigmatic areas of Faerun.

In day-by-day status, or some starting point and VCS style diffs? Because the nature of the subject is kind of resistant to definitive coverage:
"It's been said there are no accurate maps of the Border Kingoms, where boundaries, rulers, and names of realms change from tenday to tenday, and border disputes seem to occupy the lives of many on a more-or-less daily basis. Maps will be sadly out of date at best, and full of willful distortions at the worst (many cartographers seek to suggest the realm they represent--or want their local ruler to trade with--is larger and more important than it really is). Misinformation is the rule when Borderers travel the Realms in search of adventurers to hire. So beware: on any map of the Border Kingdoms, boundaries are at best approximate, and between the making of the map and your journey, realms will probably have appeared, disappeared, or moved."
- The Border Kingdoms: Introduction

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2016 :  16:53:27  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message
quote:

Did any new locations get covered on the website and in the Shining South book? Or was the material in covered in those just updates from the Polyhedron articles? I never bothered to do a side-by-side comparison.

The Polyhedron column got to Owlhold. The web column got to High Mukshar. Shining South had no useful information on the Border Kingdoms (and misspelled "Qurth" Forest). The book you are after is actually Power of Faerūn, which goes on from the Polyhedron articles to detail the aforementioned Qurth Forest, the Realm of the Mount, and the Realm of the Ready Sword.

Lots and lots of the Border Kingdoms still missing, including major settlements like Yallasch, Theymarsh and Thur as well as interesting little kingdoms such as Shandolphyn's Reach, Suldamma, the Swordpoint Streams, and the Realm of the Smoking Star. There are also a host of towns and villages Ed never got to either.

Good fodder for a DMs Guild piece I reckon ...

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Rymac
Learned Scribe

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2016 :  17:17:57  Show Profile  Visit Rymac's Homepage Send Rymac a Private Message
quote:

The Polyhedron column got to Owlhold. The web column got to High Mukshar. Shining South had no useful information on the Border Kingdoms (and misspelled "Qurth" Forest). The book you are after is actually Power of Faerūn, which goes on from the Polyhedron articles to detail the aforementioned Qurth Forest, the Realm of the Mount, and the Realm of the Ready Sword.

Lots and lots of the Border Kingdoms still missing, including major settlements like Yallasch, Theymarsh and Thur as well as interesting little kingdoms such as Shandolphyn's Reach, Suldamma, the Swordpoint Streams, and the Realm of the Smoking Star. There are also a host of towns and villages Ed never got to either.

-- George Krashos

My bad on forgetting the correct book. Yea, some enterprising designer would finish it up, but would WotC allow it to publish at DM's Guild if they are still holding back unpublished material because it was intended for prior editions? Not to mention it could run into NDAs.

Swordpoint Streams sounds suspiciously like a location that became known for a famous duel, and remained a dueling site since.

- Ryan
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2016 :  17:52:03  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:

quote:

-- George Krashos

My bad on forgetting the correct book. Yea, some enterprising designer would finish it up, but would WotC allow it to publish at DM's Guild if they are still holding back unpublished material because it was intended for prior editions? Not to mention it could run into NDAs.

Swordpoint Streams sounds suspiciously like a location that became known for a famous duel, and remained a dueling site since.

I don't see any issue with publishing more Border Kingdoms stuff through the DM's Guild, provided that what was put up there wasn't material WotC had paid for.

So if WotC sat on an article for Hoosbania and never published it, it's still theirs and it would not be kosher to do that on the DM's Guild. If an article on Hoosbania was written by someone else, that's another story... Or if Wordsburg was never written up for them, then it would also be safe to run.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 03 Jun 2016 17:54:59
Go to Top of Page

KanzenAU
Senior Scribe

Australia
763 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2016 :  15:13:59  Show Profile Send KanzenAU a Private Message
Dear Ed & THO,

In Elminster's Forgotten Realms, there's a copy of a page of the player packets given out in your campaigns, detailing current clack. Apologies if this has been asked before, but could either of you share what kinds of other tidbits are included in the packets? I loved the current clack page, and am looking to design packets of my own!

Regional maps for Waterdeep, Triboar, Ardeep Forest, and Cormyr on DM's Guild, plus a campaign sized map for the North
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2016 :  23:04:55  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, all.
KanzenAU, Ed traditionally gave each player in one of his "library" campaigns a player pack consisting of this:
A crude "here's what your character knows" map of the starting country or city.
A crude "here's what your character knows" map of the wider Realms.
Here are the shrines, temples, and local priests your character knows and frequents, and any daily prayers, do's and don'ts, faith-related gossip/recent local events.
A list of contacts (businesses/crafters/gossips) your character knows and uses.
Notes on your character's "day jobs" and past/current employers and acquired skills.
Local individuals/families your character likes, hates, is feuding with, owes coin to, is owed coin by, plus outstanding promises/obligations.
Some heraldry/local message-symbols your character will recognize, plus what your character "knows" of local government/who rules/the daily "laws" (and who are the local "lawkeepers"/enforcers).
Where your character would go if hurt.
What wealth or valuables (if anything) your character has stored (and if hidden or in someone else's safekeeping, where and how).
A short list of useful character belongings (horse? Cart? tent? rented field? tools? whetstone? outdoor cook-oven?) and rights to use communal things (like ovens, wells, paddocks).
Anything unusual your character has (disguises? toys and puppets? dug-up relics of unknown heritage/uses?).
Family trees, of character and relatives and neighbours.

...There, that's about it. I may have forgotten some things. The idea was, after a player had enjoyed their first play session (which Ed tried to end on a cliffhanger), they had reading for home that gave them all sorts of ideas for when the party escaped froxxx ahem, finished that first adventure. ;}
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

KanzenAU
Senior Scribe

Australia
763 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2016 :  23:20:32  Show Profile Send KanzenAU a Private Message
That's awesome, thank you for sharing! Really appreciate the work you put into this place.

Regional maps for Waterdeep, Triboar, Ardeep Forest, and Cormyr on DM's Guild, plus a campaign sized map for the North
Go to Top of Page

Rivenhelm
Acolyte

32 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2016 :  04:48:31  Show Profile Send Rivenhelm a Private Message
How cool would it have been to see a list of Pregens for FRQ1 Module laid out in that "player pack" style?? Especially for a lightly detailed area, like say Espar?? Two more logs for the DM's Guild fire I say!! Please pass along those requests to Ed, thanks THO.

And what's a post from me without an Eveningstar query?? How did Redhand Pool get its name?

Thanks as always,
R...
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2016 :  06:32:11  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message
KanzenAU: There's also an article from an old Dragon Magazine or a page on the old WotC boards that answers your question. I'll see if I can dig up the link.

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2016 :  17:21:11  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message
KanzenAU: The link seems to have disappeared but I can confirm that it's in one of the Ed's Forging the Realms series. Delwa has all of the articles linked in his siggy. This is the link: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B4xxJUcFFKFXS1VESjl6cFUwMUk&usp=sharing

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page

Arivia
Great Reader

Canada
2965 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2016 :  18:39:19  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by The Arcanamach

KanzenAU: The link seems to have disappeared but I can confirm that it's in one of the Ed's Forging the Realms series. Delwa has all of the articles linked in his siggy. This is the link: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B4xxJUcFFKFXS1VESjl6cFUwMUk&usp=sharing

It's the entry called "The Player Pack."
Go to Top of Page

KanzenAU
Senior Scribe

Australia
763 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2016 :  01:50:37  Show Profile Send KanzenAU a Private Message
Wow, thanks! That's really helpful all, muchas gracias!

Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2382 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2016 :  07:10:18  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message
Hello, oh Ed of Greenwood and Lady Herald of Realmslore!
Speaking of mysterious ladies...
quote:
Regarding Susprina Arkhenneld: we’ve not seen the last of this proud, wary, dangerous lady
- Questions for Ed Greenwood (2004)

So... is there anything new about her? Or NDA?
<tries to make 11 puppy dog eyes>

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch

Edited by - TBeholder on 14 Jun 2016 07:12:20
Go to Top of Page

KanzenAU
Senior Scribe

Australia
763 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2016 :  07:07:55  Show Profile Send KanzenAU a Private Message
Greetings Ed and Lady THO!

I'm currently reading Death Masks, and am enjoying it an incredible amount. The only trouble is there's so much lore packed in there I find myself incapable of not taking notes instead of merely enjoying the grand tale! (Not a complaint, mind you: loving every bit of it).

My question comes from the book: without getting spoilery, a certain Harper at one point makes a lewd gesture, described as "one of the lewder hand-gestures currently in vogue in the streets, taverns, and clubs of Waterdeep."

Being both a big fan of Waterdeep and a big fan of lewd gestures, I was wondering if you could elaborate on what such gestures might look like?

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2016 :  15:46:01  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, all!

Rivenhelm, I recall that Redhand Pool is named for a local adventurer whose surname was Redhand (he's dead, and wasn't particularly successful/widely known outside the area, but the Redhand family is still a farming family in the dale; he fought and killed a monster or monsters by night on the shore of that pool [a troll? trolls? can't be sure; will ask Ed).

KanzenAU: that lewd gesture is made with one free hand: fingers together, point horizontal, make a circle in the air with all of them, and then "thrust through the circle" by jabbing the hand forward through the same space in the air. To make it more emphatic/rude: do the same movements, but point straight up, towards the sky.

TBeholder: nothing Ed can share YET. Meaning, he still has something in the works. You may not see it for a while, but your puppy dog eyes are duly noted...

Hope these tidbits are of help!
love to all,
THO

Go to Top of Page

Rivenhelm
Acolyte

32 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2016 :  22:26:08  Show Profile Send Rivenhelm a Private Message
Thank you THO!! Hmm trolls eh? Trolls seem to be a recurring theme in the area. That and Cavern of the Claws nearby. In a short story I penned many years ago about the Halls I had trolls infesting the area. It must have been an unconscious thing on my part.

Thanks again!
R...
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2016 :  11:30:15  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message
Is this Redhand family related to Baron Cromm Redhand, from the adventure in the booklet Under Illefarn?

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

Marco Volo
Learned Scribe

France
201 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2016 :  22:03:27  Show Profile Send Marco Volo a Private Message
Hi Ed & THO,

This question may have been asked before but my sourcebooks don't contain any information on this :

Are Zhentarim trade roads all secrets and exclusive to the Black Network ?
How the Zhentarim create such roads without getting spotted by local authorities or a faction ?

Have a nice day/night.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2016 :  23:29:18  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all!
Sorry for these long silences; real life is repeatedly getting firmly in the way.
However, I'm here now long enough to make some lore replies:

Marco Volo, while the Zhents don't advertise their trade roads (which are intended to be shorter, cheaper routes than competitors, so the Zhents can either undercut rivals or realize more profits than rivals when selling at the same price), they don't hide them. They just don't (usually) ask permission from any local authorities/rulers (preferring assassination or bribery for persuasion when necessary), and they DO patrol and guard their routes, so only they (and approved-by-them others) can use said routes. And they create them by guile, work, and brute force; it's not about not getting noticed, it's about "might makes mine, do you REALLY want to tangle with me? I'll make it very much not worth your while..."
;}

Barastir and Rivenhelm, Ed tells me that yes, it was 3 trolls slain by Raladar Redhand, and the two Redhand families are related, but VERY distantly and most living members today don't even know of the connection...only the Heralds do, with their careful genealogy-keeping (and then only because there are barons involved). ;}

Rivenhelm, trolls have "always" been, and remain, a persistent problem in that part of the Stonelands, because it is VERY hard to "scour them out," given the terrain. So the Stonelands remain dangerous...

And that's it, from Ed to me to you, for now! Happy Realms, everyone ...and for an alternative, check out Stormtalons at OnderLibrum.com (Ed's OTHER big-tapestry fantasy setting!).

love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2016 :  04:21:06  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
Whew!

Finally catching up on my Realms' reading, and I've started with Spellstorm. A grand ol' Ed tale, for such... and queries are likely to be forthcoming.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2016 :  13:45:51  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Barastir and Rivenhelm, Ed tells me that yes, (...) the two Redhand families are related, but VERY distantly (...)

Thank you very much, dear lady. Please say my thanks to Ed.

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 9 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page