Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Is it known?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Jeff Strix
Acolyte

Germany
21 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2015 :  02:42:26  Show Profile Send Jeff Strix a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Yay, my first post after almost two years of reading Is it known in which year set Out of the Abyss? As I know, Princes of the Apocalypse was set in 1491 DR. But I was really confused after reading Salvatores "Archmage", where the "Rage of the Demons" starts in 1486 DR.

Eltheron
Senior Scribe

740 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2015 :  04:47:01  Show Profile Send Eltheron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jeff Strix

Yay, my first post after almost two years of reading Is it known in which year set Out of the Abyss? As I know, Princes of the Apocalypse was set in 1491 DR. But I was really confused after reading Salvatores "Archmage", where the "Rage of the Demons" starts in 1486 DR.

According to Archmage, Bruenor was still recruiting for the dwarven march to Gauntylgrym in the winter of 1485. Queen Dagnabbit was formally crowned ruler of Mithril Hall in the 2nd month of 1486 while the Council of Dwarven Kings met in Felbarr. The march to Gauntylgrym was fairly long and slow, with several stops (Mirabar, Longsaddle, then they moved over to Neverwinter, departing Longsaddle in midwinter). They arrived at Neverwinter "on the last day of Eleasis in the Year of the Nether Mountain Scrolls" (aka 1486).

They then marched back to Gauntylgrym and took the upper halls.

That seems to be right about where Out of The Abyss is set as well, as part of that adventure is making your way up to where the dwarves have reclaimed part of Gauntylgrym.

The epilogue happens on the 15th day of Nightal, 1486.

By the way, note that D&D Expeditions (Hillsfar/Rage of Demons) technically notes the fall of Thultanthar in 1487 - and the subsequent execution of the Shadowvar, as noted in the supplement detailing Hillsfar Regional character options.

Why Princes of the Apocalypse is set in 1491 (and it is indeed set in 1491) hasn't been explained. But it's possible that this is something a WotC Editor missed or a developer didn't consider, or perhaps it's intentional. We don't know what will happen in the next two Drizzt novels, which might possibly end up finishing the Gauntylgrym story around 1491.

"The very best possible post-fourteenth-century Realms lets down those who love the specific, detailed social, political and magical situation, with its thousands of characters, developed over forty years, and want to learn more about it; and those who'd be open to a new one with equal depth, which there just isn't time to re-produce; and those repelled, some past the point of no return, by the bad-taste-and-plausibility gap of things done to the world when its guardianship was less careful."
--Faraer

Edited by - Eltheron on 22 Sep 2015 05:18:37
Go to Top of Page

Jeff Strix
Acolyte

Germany
21 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2015 :  13:32:32  Show Profile Send Jeff Strix a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Eltheron

quote:

According to Archmage, Bruenor was still recruiting for the dwarven march to Gauntylgrym in the winter of 1485. Queen Dagnabbit was formally crowned ruler of Mithril Hall in the 2nd month of 1486 while the Council of Dwarven Kings met in Felbarr. The march to Gauntylgrym was fairly long and slow, with several stops (Mirabar, Longsaddle, then they moved over to Neverwinter, departing Longsaddle in midwinter). They arrived at Neverwinter "on the last day of Eleasis in the Year of the Nether Mountain Scrolls" (aka 1486).

That seems to be right about where Out of The Abyss is set as well, as part of that adventure is making your way up to where the dwarves have reclaimed part of Gauntylgrym.

By the way, note that D&D Expeditions (Hillsfar/Rage of Demons) technically notes the fall of Thultanthar in 1487 - and the subsequent execution of the Shadowvar, as noted in the supplement detailing Hillsfar Regional character options.

Why Princes of the Apocalypse is set in 1491 (and it is indeed set in 1491) hasn't been explained. But it's possible that this is something a WotC Editor missed or a developer didn't consider, or perhaps it's intentional. We don't know what will happen in the next two Drizzt novels, which might possibly end up finishing the Gauntylgrym story around 1491.

There are more "mistakes" in Archmage...or Tyranny of Dragons (good question eh?) There is some information in Archmage, that ToD is ended in 1485/86 DR. But in official Adventure books, ToD starts in 1489 DR! So, I ask myself - which canon is the right one now?

Edited by - Jeff Strix on 22 Sep 2015 13:35:21
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2015 :  13:51:30  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

There are more "mistakes" in Archmage...or Tyranny of Dragons (good question eh?) There is some information in Archmage, that ToD is ended in 1485/86 DR. But in official Adventure books, ToD starts in 1489 DR! So, I ask myself - which canon is the right one now?

Perhaps the SCAG will clarify. If the book doesn't include a timeline, then I doubt that WotC will ever clarify it, and you'd be better off asking Ed, or picking one of the two.

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.
Go to Top of Page

Eltheron
Senior Scribe

740 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2015 :  18:37:53  Show Profile Send Eltheron a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

If you need an official answer, I suggest sending a Twitter question to one of the developers at WotC.

They don't generally come to this forum, except for Ed Greenwood - and he doesn't always know why WotC developers do the things they do, or set particular dates in campaigns.

"The very best possible post-fourteenth-century Realms lets down those who love the specific, detailed social, political and magical situation, with its thousands of characters, developed over forty years, and want to learn more about it; and those who'd be open to a new one with equal depth, which there just isn't time to re-produce; and those repelled, some past the point of no return, by the bad-taste-and-plausibility gap of things done to the world when its guardianship was less careful."
--Faraer
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2015 :  19:18:21  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

They don't generally come to this forum, except for Ed Greenwood - and he doesn't always know why WotC developers do the things they do, or set particular dates in campaigns.

Chris Perkins (https://twitter.com/ChrisPerkinsDnD) is the developer behind all the storylines, AFAIK. He should be able to clarify.

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.
Go to Top of Page

Jeff Strix
Acolyte

Germany
21 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2015 :  21:15:20  Show Profile Send Jeff Strix a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok, thanks guys!
Go to Top of Page

Jeff Strix
Acolyte

Germany
21 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2015 :  11:42:24  Show Profile Send Jeff Strix a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I asked Chris Perkins via Twitter but of course - no answer. And I'm not surprised, cause this timeline fail shows clearly the incompetence of WotC. And so, after all these stupid WotC's official 5E adventures, and broken timeline, I can only spit on their "official canon" and the things they do.
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2015 :  12:20:04  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Can't say that I disagree entirely with what you've said, but you are likely to get a telling off for saying it.
As I myself have been told many times before, try being constructive with your criticisms.
Of course it's easier said than done when someone trashes your favourite playground. I tend to direct all my anger towards creating new stuff for the realms, it occupies my brain enough to stop me from venting my frustrations.
At the end of the day, if you don't like it then vote with your wallet, it's the only power you have as a consumer, and it can be very powerful.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site

Edited by - Gary Dallison on 29 Sep 2015 12:22:05
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2015 :  12:43:09  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Better call Saul... I mean Brian

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Jeff Strix
Acolyte

Germany
21 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2015 :  14:40:05  Show Profile Send Jeff Strix a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dazzlerdal

Can't say that I disagree entirely with what you've said, but you are likely to get a telling off for saying it.
As I myself have been told many times before, try being constructive with your criticisms.
Of course it's easier said than done when someone trashes your favourite playground. I tend to direct all my anger towards creating new stuff for the realms, it occupies my brain enough to stop me from venting my frustrations.
At the end of the day, if you don't like it then vote with your wallet, it's the only power you have as a consumer, and it can be very powerful.

Yeah, my emotions won this time, sorry. FR-timeline was always important to me. But I also think about my own Forgotten Realms stuff now, thanks for advice. The best official canon is own canon, isn't it?

Edited by - Jeff Strix on 29 Sep 2015 14:41:59
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2015 :  15:25:15  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well for me the best canon is one written by ed greenwood, George krashos, Eric Boyd, Steven schend, and a whole host of others that have worked on past sourcebooks and I can't remember.

But failing that if you write something and you like it then it's a bonus

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Jeff Strix
Acolyte

Germany
21 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2015 :  15:44:43  Show Profile Send Jeff Strix a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Of cource Ed's stuff is the best, and for sure canon by George etc. I meant only official 5E WotC's in compare with own canon. For now, I think, the truth is - only 5E WotC canon stuff is not good^^
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000