Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 GURPS Forgotten Realms
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2015 :  08:29:24  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
After a rather long hiatus from gaming (due to extremely long work hours and some personal matters) I finally find myself with some time to actually try to do some work regarding my favorite hobby.

Anyway, here is my question/request. Are there any active members of the Keep that use GURPS as a game system for their FR campaigns? If so, I'm interested in seeing what kind of conversion have been done for the many spells and magic items/artifacts.

On the surface, GURPS seems a very poor system to use for the Realms in this regard. But through the use of the Powers rules I think many of these items and spells can be converted readily.

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6353 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2015 :  08:47:45  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Welcome back, its been a while, there is loads of awesome lore floating here about that you should catch up on (particularly the Jergal lore in the RPG News and Releases section.

Can't say i've ever used gurps though so i can't help in that regard, i just wanted to say hi is all.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2015 :  09:04:25  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Dazzlar! When I get back from work (I'm sneaking this bit in while there) I will write you through gmail :) I think I read the article you're referring to (the one by GK hosted at Edverse I beleive?).

Regarding GURPS, there are some scrolls here that discuss the topic but what I'm looking for is work already done on actual conversions of magic items and spells. NPCs are simple enough to convert, but the magic that exists in the Realms (as portrayed in the DnD system) is very different from GURPS. For more advanced spells (say Prismatic Sphere, for example), one can only convert using GURPS Powers methinks. And a spell like the 2e Mantle spell would be monstrous in this regard. A few examples of what others have done would point me in the right direction while I learn the system.

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page

The Emerald Sage
Acolyte

38 Posts

Posted - 21 May 2015 :  19:13:41  Show Profile  Visit The Emerald Sage's Homepage Send The Emerald Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm currently working on a rule-set for the game Fate (http://fate-srd.com/fate-core/four-actions), specifically for the Forgotten Realms.

Fate is a really elegant system, it takes the basic substance of the RPG, namely narrative detail and builds it's mechanics around it. It also uses fudge dice so the bell curve on results is less extreme.

I'll be posting my Dungeon Masters' Guide to playing Fate in the realms as a blog over the coming weeks, including lots of information on using race and the schools of magic as aspects aswell as translations of many of D&D's classic spells into stunts so I would suggest hanging tight in the meantime.

Edited by - The Emerald Sage on 21 May 2015 19:16:04
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000