Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 The Candlekeep Web Site
 Site Content
 What do you want to see on the Candlekeep site?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 18

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2007 :  11:10:23  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alaundo

Well met

Aye, a new site, new forum (with customisable clock ) will all be part of Candlekeep v2.0

A customizable clock? Spiffy D! I've been wanting that for a while!

We getting more smilies, too?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2007 :  15:08:16  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well met

Aye, a new site, new forum (with customisable clock ) will all be part of Candlekeep v2.0

Excellent!

But, how did you anticipate this request? Are those quills you gave us scribes enchanted?

And yes, Wooly needs more smiles to express his plethora of emotions!!

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2007 :  23:14:43  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

Well met

A customizable clock? Spiffy D! I've been wanting that for a while!

We getting more smilies, too?

Oh without a doubt, my furry friend. The world will be thine oyster

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2007 :  23:42:43  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

But what if I don't like seafood?!?

Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2007 :  08:47:42  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

But what if I don't like seafood?!?

Don't you have work to be getting on with?!

Alaundo

Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2007 :  00:56:40  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
BTW, when can we expect to see CK v2.0? Anytime in the really near future?

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2007 :  01:32:04  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Alaundo's still working on the Forum updates themselves. I don't think there's any "definite" date that's been put forth. "Sometime towards the end of this year/beginning of next year" would probably be the most accurate estimate.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

tauster
Senior Scribe

Germany
399 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2008 :  12:21:29  Show Profile  Visit tauster's Homepage Send tauster a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I accidentally just found this thread (I had never noticed it before...) and I guess it's the right place to ask:

Can we have another sub-forum? One where we can start filling the story gaps that are still open from 1st, 2nd and even 3rd edition FR?
The Manshoon war, the harper schism, the dwarves reclaiming Tethyamar, etc... all that stuff will now probably never be officially covered. We don't have to wait for Wozards of the Cost showing us what they'll do with it because of the timejump. It's time to take things in our own scribely hands, I say!

I think a subforum would be better than mingeling such fancif-threads with discussion about canon lore (be it 2E, 3E or 4E).
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2008 :  14:59:14  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
... or rather what do I not what to see onthe Candlekeep site?: How about editing the CoC accordingly to once and for all save us from pointless X vs. Y discussion threads.

Just an after-thought from the 'Drizzt or Legolas?'-thread....

And hile I am at this: please leave us these unique smilies that we have atm here at candlekeep and restrain from added many more esp. all those jumping, kicking, spinning, drums playing or otherwise moving smilies that are seen around every other forum. It makes reading the important stuff so much more annoying...

So please please please no more (or at least no moving) smilies.

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."

Edited by - Ergdusch on 19 Jan 2008 15:02:35
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2008 :  15:34:18  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ergdusch

... or rather what do I not what to see onthe Candlekeep site?: How about editing the CoC accordingly to once and for all save us from pointless X vs. Y discussion threads.

Not sure why the CoC would need to be edited for this since the CoC already has text about the X vs. Y threads. I.E. they are usually not allowed. :)

It's #4 under section B.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 19 Jan 2008 15:35:27
Go to Top of Page

Arkhaedun
Senior Scribe

869 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2008 :  15:40:04  Show Profile  Visit Arkhaedun's Homepage Send Arkhaedun a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To be fair, most of our regular scribes are well aware of this as well. The scroll in question was five years old, so it likely slipped under the radar.
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2008 :  18:23:18  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

quote:

Not sure why the CoC would need to be edited for this since the CoC already has text about the X vs. Y threads. I.E. they are usually not allowed. :)

It's #4 under section B.

Oh! I was unaware of this. Great to hear that though...

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2008 :  21:52:49  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

quote:

It's #4 under section B.

Friend, if I were you I would read the COC before Alaundo decides to have you copy if several times over!

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2008 :  23:20:32  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

quote:

Friend, if I were you I would read the COC before Alaundo decides to have you copy if several times over!

Grin. I was going to post something like that but I decided to not get something started. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2008 :  23:32:38  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The next X vs Y poll: those who have read the Code of Conduct vs those who haven't!

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2008 :  23:55:28  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

The next X vs Y poll: those who have read the Code of Conduct vs those who haven't!

That could end up where X = Y

Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2008 :  10:01:37  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, after all of you got the chance to share your thoughts on my last post (that, well, let's say 'could have been avoided by simply reading the CoC at least once from top to bottom' - I grant you that much) I would like to make a new petition:

To express our protest of the unwanted and unasked for changes in the FR setting that the 4th Ed. brings along I suggest to add a new avatar picture of 'another' kind:

RIP FR by Markustay (only with his consent of course).

Alright! Now it's your turn to lash me verbally again.....

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2008 :  11:08:07  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not really sure that's appropriate. It kinda reminds me of the same problems we might encounter with the idea of splitting of the Forums into those for 1e/2e/3e fans, and those who are solely on-board for the 4e changes. An avatar like this may come to be seen as an "anti-4e FR" standard for Candlekeep -- just like the idea of splitting the Forums. And I really don't think that's fair for 4e Realms fans.

My own personal concerns aside, Candlekeep should still try to maintain the perception that it is a free and open community where Realms fans, old and new, can come together and engage in discussions about ALL editions of the setting.

Go to Top of Page

tauster
Senior Scribe

Germany
399 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2008 :  14:58:03  Show Profile  Visit tauster's Homepage Send tauster a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Even if I hate every single aspect of the Shattered Realms, I agree with The Sage. If someone likes these new realms, more power to them. After all, the goal of our hobby is to have fun, not create the "perfect roleplaying world".
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2008 :  16:44:17  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

I'm not really sure that's appropriate. It kinda reminds me of the same problems we might encounter with the idea of splitting of the Forums into those for 1e/2e/3e fans, and those who are solely on-board for the 4e changes. An avatar like this may come to be seen as an "anti-4e FR" standard for Candlekeep -- just like the idea of splitting the Forums. And I really don't think that's fair for 4e Realms fans.

My own personal concerns aside, Candlekeep should still try to maintain the perception that it is a free and open community where Realms fans, old and new, can come together and engage in discussions about ALL editions of the setting.

I would not want to see Candlekeep changed in any way myself and I had no intention to be disrespectful of the opinion of others at all. I saw this more as an option to express my own personal opinion. However, your words are wise and I see the sense in them. I withdraw my petition.

No offences intended and I see the matter as having been settled once and for all.

Edited by - Ergdusch on 05 Mar 2008 16:45:47
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 05 Mar 2008 :  23:34:13  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Aye. It's an intriguing idea, I'll admit. Maybe we should discuss this topic again once 4e core has been established. I just think things are too tense at the moment, for something like this.

Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2008 :  16:09:37  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When CK 2.0 finally boots up, and we move to a new forum software (IIRC that has been stated before), will we be able to take our post count with us, or will we all start at 0 posts?

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2008 :  16:15:09  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HawkinstheDM

When CK 2.0 finally boots up, and we move to a new forum software (IIRC that has been stated before), will we be able to take our post count with us, or will we all start at 0 posts?

If it resets, I can finally catch up with the Sage!

...And dang, I didn't realize I was so close to 12000 posts!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 06 Mar 2008 16:16:08
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2008 :  20:23:49  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by HawkinstheDM

Well met

Fear not, all member profiles, posts and topics will remain intact. Nothing will be lost through the transition.

Alaundo

Go to Top of Page

ShadezofDis
Senior Scribe

402 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2008 :  20:53:04  Show Profile  Visit ShadezofDis's Homepage Send ShadezofDis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Well met

Fear not, all member profiles, posts and topics will remain intact. Nothing will be lost through the transition.

Too bad for Wooly!
Go to Top of Page

tauster
Senior Scribe

Germany
399 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2008 :  12:47:46  Show Profile  Visit tauster's Homepage Send tauster a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dunno if this has been thought of before: How about a place where we can post reviews of 3rd-party products? Without my recent "ENWorld sells their stuff for one dollar- shopping sprees" this would never have become a topic for me, but now... ;)
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2008 :  18:27:26  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tauster

Dunno if this has been thought of before: How about a place where we can post reviews of 3rd-party products? Without my recent "ENWorld sells their stuff for one dollar- shopping sprees" this would never have become a topic for me, but now... ;)

Well met

Aye, we discussed this recently over in the moderator chamber but haven't come up with a solid solution. For now, use the D&D Core section. We don't want to dedicate too much to areas outside of the Realms and venture into 3rd party territory, however.

Alaundo

Go to Top of Page

tauster
Senior Scribe

Germany
399 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2008 :  18:53:16  Show Profile  Visit tauster's Homepage Send tauster a Private Message  Reply with Quote
ok, that works for me.
I think we could include a few words of how to integrate this or that book into the realms, but that might look like a cheap alibi...
Go to Top of Page

Big Mac
Acolyte

United Kingdom
21 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2008 :  16:31:33  Show Profile  Visit Big Mac's Homepage Send Big Mac a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The actual nuts and bolts content of Candlekeep is great, so I think you need to concentrate on the presentation and additional features.

I've got a few suggestions, but the most important one is to dump the frameset.

The frameset looks nice, but makes it very hard for most people to email links to deep parts of Candlepower. It is technically possible to grab the URLs of the bits of Candlepower, but then when you load them the navigation elements are missing. (Incidentally this means that most people who browse in here from Google searches see broken pages. When you click on the links to the homepage you don't see the Candlekeep logo or the navigation on the left.)

I realises that dumping the frameset means redesigning every page to add navigation into the page. (I've done this sort of global thing on my own website and it took me ages. I did it all using hand coded HTML and I got really frustrated by the epic workload, so believe me when I say that I do understand what a big job this is.) But dumping the frameset would be a great opportunity to update the navigation (and if you can get someone in who does PHP or Pearl wizardry they might be able to automate the inclusion of the navigation parts of the pages).

I'd like to see a new Candlekeep logo*. At the moment you have one logo on the main page, a different one on the forums and a third one on Candlekeep Compendium. I think you need a single logo that can do all three things and also be used elsewhere. I also think that the main page version (with flaming touches) is a bit old fashioned. If you have a few artists onbord, maybe you could do a competition.

* = I don't mean a "4e Candlekeep logo", if anyone is thinking that. I just mean something that has more of a "brand identity" than the current logo.

I think that Candlekeep needs to have a professional looking house style with elements that can be included in PDFs as well as on banner ads on other websites. So I'd like a logo that can be an impressive header on the main page, but can also fit or be shrunk down and still be readable. You probably won't ever have printed gamebooks, but it would be nice if people could make it as small as the logos on the spines of FR RPG books. It would be nice to be able to put the logo on the spine of a folder full of printed Candlekeep Compendium issues.

(Maybe you can make things like the buildings optional layers that can be removed when people need a mini Candlekeep logo.) Personally, I'd like to be able to look at the Candlekeep logo and think instantly of Forgotten Realms. (Dragonlance Nexus has a logo with the Dragonlance logo in it. Maybe you can use elements from the various Forgotten Realms logos.)

If possible, I'd like the main website and the forums to move towards a common design. You have a breadcrumb trail (of books) on the forums, but this isn't there on the main website. To be honest, I think the diagonal layout of the forum breadcrumb trail is a bit of a waste of screen space, when they could probably go on a single line. But the fact that the breadcrumbs are there is very helpful. So please put the same sort of navigation onto the main website, when you can.

The main website has a bunch of important links on the left and I think they would work as a list of links at the top (or bottom) of the page. That would free up a lot of space. And a design more like that could be brought into the forum side and allow people to jump between the two parts of Candlekeep a lot easier.

Next, I would ask you to change your colour scheme. The dark background/white text thing makes it very difficult to print out pages of the website. If you must have a house style with a background, then please switch to one that is more like a printed RPG gamebook. (Your Candlekeep Compendium style is a lot more attractive than the website style, so I hope you can bring some of that back to your website and your forums.)

There has been talk of "offtopic" forums, and I don't think they would help, but Forgotten Realms has a bunch of sister campaign settings (Al Qadim, Maztica, The Horde, Kara-Tur) and I think that WotC have abandoned those. I'd like to see Candlekeep create a place on the forums where people can gather together to discuss updating those settings to 3rd edition (or maybe even 4th edition**) rules.

** = Said through gritted teeth.

Talking of conversions, I recently had a look for some, but couldn't find any information here. I would like to see a section on the website that gives information about every FR monster ever made. I'm not looking for pirate versions of monsters, but if there was a list (or maybe several linked lists) that told me what game books to look into that would be really useful. I'd also like to see Candlekeep provide links to (or even host) conversions of every monster that WotC have not decided to upgrade to 3rd edition (or 3.5). This sort of thing would be especially important for sub-settings like Maztica, as there are not ever going to be any 3rd edition books from WotC (and it may never get brought back without your help).

Like I said before, I couldn't find any conversions here. So if your Candlekeep Compendium team could help compile conversions for the abandoned parts of FR maybe you could make some PDFs that take WotC ideas (like Monsters of Faerun) and turn them into things like Monsters of Maztica. Things like this could work alongside WotC products to bring the rest of FR back to the gaming table.

Forgotten Realms touches Spelljammer (in Realmspace) and touches Planescape (with its focus on portals). I'm not too up on Ravenloft, but there might be a bit of a connection there. It would be nice for joint projects to have a place to discuss things. I'm currently working - or at least should be working - on a crossover project involving Dragonlance fans and Spelljammer fans (which I hope will go on both Dragonlance Nexus and Beyond the Moons). It would be nice to be able to organise a Candlekeep/Beyond the Moons project after I've got that one done.

Oh and last, but not least, last year Dragonlance Nexus and Planewalker.com got the first and second place in the ENnie Awards. I can see from looking around, that you have a ton of experts hanging out here. I'd love to see you join Dragonlance Nexus and Planewalker and slug it out in the next set of awards.

I might have made some criticism, but there is a ton of good stuff on Candlekeep, and I hope that my comments are constructive ones that will help this website look good enough to collect an ENnie.

BTW: Thanks for all your hard work making this site. Even if you can't do half of the things on my wishlist, I'll still be coming back here.

David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Webmaster - Virtual Eclipse Roleplaying Club
http://www32.brinkster.com/virtualeclipse/
http://uk.groups.yahoo.com/group/virtualeclipselrp/
Visit my Yahoo links for: Forgotten Realms websites, Al Qadim websites, Arcane Age websites, Kara-Tur websites, Maztica websites, The Horde websites and FRCS web enhancements
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 13 Apr 2008 :  23:33:33  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met, Big Mac

My word, that's certainly a comprehensive list of requests and suggestions

Seriously, there's some great ideas there. A number of your comments are already on the "definate" list and are to be developed as part of Candlekeep v2.0. I quite like a number of other changes your suggested and will certainly look into them.

Many thanks for taking the time to post this. It's been very helpful and interesting to read

Alaundo

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 18 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic