Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 The Candlekeep Web Site
 Site Content
 What do you want to see on the Candlekeep site?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 18

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7969 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2013 :  18:54:19  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This computer is using Chrome(23.0) in WINE, my other using IE(8.0) in Win7. I've flushed caches, cookies, checked settings, etc.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2013 :  19:12:42  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well I replied twice, I am using Firefox

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2013 :  19:35:03  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've never had any issue using the Reply function in PMs...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2013 :  19:40:49  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wooly, for clarity, Ayrik sent me a PM, I replied without quote and with quote within 30 seconds. Based on received PM, in theory second PM was saved, because I read it once before. However it also would appear it was saved when I read the PM the first time.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2013 :  01:08:22  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I've never had any issue using the Reply function in PMs...

I'll say that I've encountered errors. But that was only during the time of the first Great ASP Error Saga. I've not had any issues with the PM reply function since.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2013 :  08:18:13  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Posting replies (in threads, not PMs), deleting, and editing posts sometimes take a minute or more.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7969 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2013 :  09:23:38  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Haha, Sage/Wooly, you have my permission to logon as me and check the Private Message Inbox. I assure you there is no REPLY button anywhere to be found, unless I'm blind. Alternately, I can email you screenshots?

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2013 :  15:52:36  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Screenshots would be handy. Just send them to my email account here at Candlekeep.

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7969 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2013 :  10:38:17  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah ... I think the reason I couldn't reply to messages is that my Inbox is full (actually stuffed beyond full). I'm sure if I delete a couple dozen PMs I'll be able to reply again. Embarassing.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2013 :  14:09:59  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I sent my reply back to you via email explaining that very reason for your inability to use the reply function on PMs. Did you not receive it? [Here's hoping I sent the message to the right person. ]

Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2013 :  14:52:24  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There is an easy work-around for that. I have NEVER emptied my in-box - its always full.

(I know there's a Paris Hilton or Snooky joke in there somewhere).

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7969 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2013 :  14:53:54  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No emails received from Sage or Candlekeep, and just updated the email address in my profile (please don't get hacked!), but the can't-reply problem is solved.

[Edit]

ON a related note, requesting a larger PM mailbox ... 20+20 just never seems to be enough. I realize well the server-side resources needed for such, and I don't know the specific limits on Alaundo's infernal contracts with the extraplanar webhosts, but it seems (at a glance) that there really aren't terribly many active Candlekeep members to produce a heavy load. Perhaps grant increased PM capacity only to scribes who attained higher ranks? (lol, not at the 10K posts milestone though, not yet ...)

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 15 Jan 2013 15:00:43
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2013 :  15:19:44  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You have 20 in? I always thought 10 was too little.

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7969 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2013 :  15:48:13  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Earlier I had something like 38/20 Inbox and tons in the Outbox. Candlekeep starts getting cranky when you exceed 20.

I understand that some scribes (who do not all post in scrolls, at least not outside of the Candlekeep Inn areas) make heavy use of PMs in play-by-post styles. And my "normal" use might be excessive or puny compared to other individuals ... just sayin' though, the PM limits seem a bit low for regularly active (and dare I say, handsome) scribes like myself.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2013 :  01:55:41  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

No emails received from Sage or Candlekeep, and just updated the email address in my profile (please don't get hacked!), but the can't-reply problem is solved.

[Edit]

ON a related note, requesting a larger PM mailbox ... 20+20 just never seems to be enough. I realize well the server-side resources needed for such, and I don't know the specific limits on Alaundo's infernal contracts with the extraplanar webhosts, but it seems (at a glance) that there really aren't terribly many active Candlekeep members to produce a heavy load. Perhaps grant increased PM capacity only to scribes who attained higher ranks? (lol, not at the 10K posts milestone though, not yet ...)

I was always under the assumption that we all had the same PM Inbox capacity.

Alaundo's never said otherwise, so it might be worth checking further into this.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2013 :  01:57:36  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Earlier I had something like 38/20 Inbox and tons in the Outbox. Candlekeep starts getting cranky when you exceed 20.

I understand that some scribes (who do not all post in scrolls, at least not outside of the Candlekeep Inn areas) make heavy use of PMs in play-by-post styles. And my "normal" use might be excessive or puny compared to other individuals ... just sayin' though, the PM limits seem a bit low for regularly active (and dare I say, handsome) scribes like myself.

This is weird, because I'm looking over my own account, and I've got messages [some of which are still unanswered {}] stretching back to 2004. It seems I have no storage limit.

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7969 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2013 :  02:19:34  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ha, is that when you login with a "normal" user account?

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2013 :  03:35:46  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yes, my "The Sage" account.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2013 :  03:56:53  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have no storage limit either. I've never deleted a single PM (and I have A LOT).

Some of the oldest were from a scribe who is no longer with us... the last thing he sent me was a map request.

You want to PM someone, instead of responding to their PM, just click on their name and PM them that way - works for me. The only thing you have to do is re-type the subject bar.

LOL - I just checked - I have 287.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 16 Jan 2013 03:57:54
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2013 :  04:44:45  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've got a buttload of PMs, too, both in my Inbox and in my Outbox.

Unfortunately, I did delete some, back in 2006 -- I was recently trying to find one I'd sent in April '06, but my Outbox only goes back to October!

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7969 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2013 :  04:51:43  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
After receiving a new PM (sending one to myself), I see:
quote:
You have reached your Private Message Limit(26/20)
To send additional Private Messages you must clean your Inbox.
I can still send PMs (via member profiles) but cannot reply to PMs (no button to click, anywhere).

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 16 Jan 2013 04:53:50
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2013 :  05:46:52  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Okay, that's a little strange. Might be time for Alaundo to tackle this one directly, Ayrik.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2013 :  14:42:55  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

After receiving a new PM (sending one to myself), I see:
quote:
You have reached your Private Message Limit(26/20)
To send additional Private Messages you must clean your Inbox.
I can still send PMs (via member profiles) but cannot reply to PMs (no button to click, anywhere).
Which is precisely how I do it - its no big deal. Just ignore the 'you have reached your limit' message and click on the person's name (which is right there in the PM you received). Nothing has ever stopped me from sending someone a PM directly.

I have to retype the subject bar, but thats not a problem. I'd rather do that then loose important info (some of those PMs contain some juicy bits!) Of course, I could just put it all in a file on my computer... but if I had done that in the past, guess what? I wouldn't have all of it still. I would have lost them with everything else (which makes me doubly afraid to delete them all now).

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7969 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2013 :  16:07:42  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Agreed, it's no big deal since there's a workaround. My initial "complaint" was really about the inconveniently lacking "reply" button which automatically quotes stuff. I like to quote stuff in PMs, since I imagine some people are like me and sometimes have so many random things going on that they need a context reminder/link when switching gears. Not mentioning any names here *cough*Sage*cough*

If Alaundo truly wishes to enforce PM storage limits then he'll either patch the workaround approach or force scribes to clean up before leaving the page or simply put an expiry timer on oldest messages.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 16 Jan 2013 16:10:34
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2013 :  16:41:01  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No: no timer, I have things saved from years ago. I still would like more then 10 though.

Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7969 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2013 :  16:44:31  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You only get 10? I have 26/20 (until recently something like 40/20) in Inbox, and seemingly uncapped Outbox.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2013 :  17:08:58  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

You only get 10? I have 26/20 (until recently something like 40/20) in Inbox, and seemingly uncapped Outbox.

Well all I recall was candlekeep sent me an email years ago that I was full at 10 and could not receive any more unless I deleted or saved. It clearly is possible I have more room now. *shrugs*

Go to Top of Page

Caladan Brood
Senior Scribe

Norway
410 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2013 :  17:32:47  Show Profile  Visit Caladan Brood's Homepage Send Caladan Brood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was wondering why there is no Play-by-Post section here (unless I've totally missed it); I'd gladly run a party of three-five adventurers through the AD&D realms; all that's really needed is a dice roll function. Yes there are many options available online (pbem, Roll20, Fantasy Battlegrounds, forums) but having a section here for Realms-games only could be useful even if you're not playing (perusing threads for ideas, see other people's characters, etc). Feel free to poke me with a rusty halberd if I've overlooked PBP's existence at Candlekeep.
Go to Top of Page

Caladan Brood
Senior Scribe

Norway
410 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2013 :  17:06:43  Show Profile  Visit Caladan Brood's Homepage Send Caladan Brood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Seventeen days later and still wondering :) Anyone?
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2013 :  03:40:49  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Caladan Brood

I was wondering why there is no Play-by-Post section here (unless I've totally missed it); I'd gladly run a party of three-five adventurers through the AD&D realms; all that's really needed is a dice roll function. Yes there are many options available online (pbem, Roll20, Fantasy Battlegrounds, forums) but having a section here for Realms-games only could be useful even if you're not playing (perusing threads for ideas, see other people's characters, etc). Feel free to poke me with a rusty halberd if I've overlooked PBP's existence at Candlekeep.

This is, essentially, what the scrolls stacked on the shelf of the Candlekeep Inn are for on this site.

If you peruse any of the pre-existing scrolls on that shelf, you'll note a couple have been used for various Play-By-Post games here at Candlekeep.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 18 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000