Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Has Charmed Friendship Ever become Real Friendship
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

unseenmage
Seeker

61 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2014 :  00:46:12  Show Profile Send unseenmage a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I know how the rules for it work in 3.x but I was wondering if there are any points in the lore or tales when Charmed or Mind Controlled friendship has become real friendship over time that persisted after the magic expired?

(sits and waits for obligatory Friendship Is Magic reference)

To me this could be an interesting story element. Not only for it's real world implications of Stockholm syndrome but for the flip side of that, the rare time when a minion turns out to be a loyal follower or a mark turns out to have been a true admirer.

Flying monkeys will eat your eyes.

Cards77
Senior Scribe

USA
745 Posts

Posted - 05 Dec 2014 :  01:47:32  Show Profile Send Cards77 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In my game our mage charmed a Zhentarim and had him lead us through the portal they were using, and help us bluff our way into their citadel. After the charm spell wore off, he escaped in the carnage while we cleaned the place out. Later, he found us on the trail and asked us to take him in, since he could not go back to Darkhold through the portals...they would execute him. We took him and he has become of our men-at-arms for our stronghold. He isn't an evil half-orc, he was just a bandit, and even though we charmed him, he desired a chance at a better life, which we gave him. He realizes that by charming him, we actually saved his life, as we would have killed or captured him.
Go to Top of Page

Lyiat
Seeker

91 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2014 :  13:49:53  Show Profile Send Lyiat a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The problem with charm or friendship spells becoming real friendships is because almost all of them include that you explicitly know that you've been charmed after the effect wears off. Unless the character was ok with being magically manipulated, it's going to be pretty unlikely. The above example by Cards should be seen as a more rare occurrence rather than the norm.

"Stand and deliver, that my hamster might have a better look at you." ~ Minsc
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2014 :  14:25:46  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lyiat

The problem with charm or friendship spells becoming real friendships is because almost all of them include that you explicitly know that you've been charmed after the effect wears off. Unless the character was ok with being magically manipulated, it's going to be pretty unlikely. The above example by Cards should be seen as a more rare occurrence rather than the norm.

Ditto. It's kinda like realizing you've been played for a fool, IMO. Unless your character for some reason doesn't care about that before being charmed, then it's unlikely.
If the charmed victim has really low self-esteem, they might settle for the charmed relationship, and over time it might mature into a genuine love, but I don't see that happening all that often.

- Delwa Aunglor
I am off to slay yon refrigerator and spoil it's horde. Go for the cheese, Boo!

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus
Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 07 Dec 2014 :  19:51:57  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There have been documented cases of charm magic being used so much that it weakens the wills of the recipient(s) until they know no other state to be in. Unless diplomatic overtures are used after the spell wears off though, I can't think of any genuine friendships that have resulted from such magic.

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/
Go to Top of Page

unseenmage
Seeker

61 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2014 :  01:23:36  Show Profile Send unseenmage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm less interested in the problems with the idea and more interested in canon examples, if they exist, of the idea bearing fruit.

I realize its a far stretch, but that's the point. If it weren't I'd hardly be asking about it.

Moreseriously, thanks for the advice and the example. They are all appreciated. Truly.

Flying monkeys will eat your eyes.
Go to Top of Page

Lilianviaten
Senior Scribe

489 Posts

Posted - 08 Dec 2014 :  05:30:54  Show Profile Send Lilianviaten a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Watercourse Trilogy by Philip Athans comes to mind. A red wizard cast a charm spell on a hostile black dragon that he knew he couldn't defeat. Years later, they were business partners and friends to some extent, and the book was explicit that the charm had worn off long ago.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000