Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 All Things Moonshae
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 22

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2019 :  11:18:43  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Randomly reading through Moonshaes sources and came across queen connomae and her fomorians.

I was initially going to ignore the 4e lore because I'm biased but over time I've made the fomorians of the Moonshaes Isles into a kind of slaine warped firbolg (other generic fomorians exist elsewhere I just like different origins in geographically disparate regions).

So these fomorians were created by a special power of kazgoroth that induced uncontrollable rage in beings he touched. Now one particular fomorians I have is the former Paramount (like a king but related to the progenitor titan of their subrace, in this instance related to Grond Peaksmasher). He ended up on the Isle of Moray and caused holy he'll for the ffolk there.

I'm thinking now that perhaps Queen Connomae was the Paramounts wife and possibly sister/cousin (no need that giants should hold to human morality or genetics). So she retained many of her mental faculties after succumbing to the touch (while on Oman) and later fled through the Moonwell into the plane of faerie.

Now if there is a giant presence on Oman I'm also thinking that perhaps Iron Keep was their former home. After all, northmen and ffolk are not know for building huge fortresses. Perhaps I could have the Moonwell based inside the fortress which the Leshay placed there to keep the giants and kazgoroth away from a former stronghold.

Foolishly the northmen despoil the Moonwell and that means Queen Connomae and Kazgoroth can return there.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2019 :  09:19:16  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Reading through some of Eds posts I found an interesting take on the northmen.

Their raiding behaviour is actually something that happened mostly in the past. Under the influence of worshippers of an aspect of tempus (I will be using the name tempos and making it a separate entity) that glorified raiding and the sacrifice of slaves, the northmen plundered the ffolk for centuries but as worship of that cult died out so too did the raiding behaviour. Now the northmen raid only out of necessity, or to settle grudges, or as a competition between lords.

So I'm thinking the early northmen raided by default, but the endless warring with the ffolk (during the 200 - 300 DR period) depleted their numbers, and in 467 DR a large number of Tethyrians arrived which further bolstered the ffolk with new blood and new defensive strategies.
Thus the following of tempos declined.

The failure of a peace accord in 621 DR saw raiding rise again out of vengeance for the death of the Prince of norland and their perceived betrayal of the ffolk.
Continued wars to take Oman and Gnarhelm, while successful ultimately destroyed the following of Tempos among northmen.

So the northmen hadn't raided much for about 4 centuries (from 900 DR onwards), then we have a decade of horrible winters and short growing seasons (1324 onward) which means the northmen have to raid to survive, this reignited tension amongst northmen and ffolk and leads up to the war that kazgoroth orchestrates to weaken the strong human kingdoms.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2019 :  19:29:42  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sooo, leprechauns in Moray. Mentioned by King Dagdar when Elminster visited.

I'm loathe to use actual leprechauns as it is too much of an obvious steal of real world mythology.

Dagdar speaks of mischievous leprechauns who tease unwary travelers. It doesn't necessarily mean anyone has actually seen them so they could have any appearance at all. Teasing unwary travelers sounds like they use sound to try and lure them places (perhaps into problematic situations like a swamp or a bear cave or into a path of orcs).

Anyone have any ideas for an alternative leprechaun, because there is no way I'm using a small man in funny clothes with a pot of gold.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2019 :  20:39:10  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Half of the monsters in D&D -- including dragons and many forms of undead -- are stolen from real world legends. Another good chunk are stolen from other fiction -- illithids are clearly mini-Cthulhus.

Why accept everything else, but drawn the line at faeries?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2019 :  20:56:31  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've got fairies, I even gave them a ffolkish name.

Leprechauns are just a little bit too ridiculous to fit into a quasi realistic version of the realms (I like it to be lifelike and immersive).

I could go down the route of a redcap and make them murderous but that isn't what Dagdar implies

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2019 :  14:18:38  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Adding in a few magic items for Moray. I've got a few already and I'm tempted to have the mugs of plenty be from Moray.

The big thing is that there aren't really any wizards or spellcasters on Moray (In fact I'm intending on the wizard council of callidyrr to be the only overt spellcasters In the Moonshaes isles). So conventional magic item creation is out the window.

Now I've been experimenting with rules for alternative means of magic item creation and I'm looking at two alternatives.
First is using magical reagents in place of spells. So the gizzard of a red Dragon or the horn of a unicorn. Any creature that inherently possesses a magical quality can pass that quality onto a specially prepared item.
Second is advancement through experience. So a sword used in a thousand battles will eventually become magical and gain a quality that represents it's common usage.

Now I figure the druids are users of magic but not overtly so. I see them more as wise caretakers of the Islands who help through herblore. But there is no reason why they can't make magic using the first method.
The splintered sword (a made up item) could be crafted from the heartwood of a centuries old rose bush, dipped into the blood of rock troll and frozen in the ice of the tallest mountain on Moray.

Whereas the Sword of Moray could be made magical after a hundred years of conflict with a ffomorean and northmen raiders, giving it a magical property that improves the defence of its wielder.

Mugs of plenty are a tricky one though. The Morayans seem most likely of the ffolk to possess them (being hard drinkers like the northmen). But how would such items be created (there are more than one) without spellcasting, they could have been the original mugs of the clan hall of the MacArtth and after a thousand years of use in nightly revels the mugs will never empty of the ale known as Moray Black.

Any weird magic items people have created for the Moonshaes Isles that they don't mind me appropriating.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11691 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2019 :  17:59:46  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't get the issues with Leprechauns, but if you wanted to make them different... perhaps their gold isn't standard gold. Much as how the warlock knights of Vaasa use Felliron, maybe leprechauns use some kind of fairy gold that they mine. Maybe it has specific uses. Maybe it also has some ties to radiance (and thus rainbows). Maybe these leprechauns are also protectors of "celestial stairways", charged with hiding them using magic by deities such as Leira (noting she's CN, not evil).

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2019 :  19:17:29  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dazzlerdal

I've got fairies, I even gave them a ffolkish name.

Leprechauns are just a little bit too ridiculous to fit into a quasi realistic version of the realms (I like it to be lifelike and immersive).

I could go down the route of a redcap and make them murderous but that isn't what Dagdar implies

Giant flying lizards that spit fire or lightning, dead people getting up and walking around (even without muscles and tendons!), and creating any variety of effects by wiggling your fingers and saying a few words is lifelike and immersive?

I really can't understand how something like skeletons functioning the same as live people is more believable than a really short guy with some gold.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 31 Jan 2019 19:18:39
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 31 Jan 2019 :  19:51:30  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I suppose I'm aiming for a low magic high fantasy approach.

I'm fine with dragons existing. They evolved from a wyvern like ancestor, evolved quickly due to the magic suffusing everything on Toril, and became what they are today by tying themselves to the Weave (like sarrukh, and elves).

I'm fine with undead existing, they are skeletons animated by negative which is associated with undeath.

I'm fine with leprechauns existing, but what I'm not okay with is fitting them into the Moonshaes. I get that they are associated with celtic mythology and that the Moonshaes are derived and influenced from celtic mythology but the Moonshaes are not exact analogues of Ireland, Scotland, and Wales.

Leprechauns came about in irish mythology for specific reasons and cultural beliefs that do not exist in Moray and so there is no reason for the leprechauns to exist in Moray.

I'm all about localizing magical or unique creatures. A unicorn in the Moonshae Isles may look like other unicorns elsewhere and may have similar abilities so that to the untrained eye they are indistinguishable but that does not mean they have the same origin (I got the idea from mountains orcs and grey orcs, similar races but different origins).

So fomorians in the Moonshae I've made different to fomorians elsewhere. Moonshae fomorians are actually firbolgs that have been twisted and mutated by the touch of Kazgoroth. They look the same as fomorians and have similar abilities but have a Moonshae specific origin tied to a particular event and person. Kamerynn the unicorn looks like other unicorns but was birthed by the Earthmother (which is the islands themselves). There is a hag in the Korinn Archipelago that looks like other hags and has similar abilities but is actually a cursed leshay.

So leprechauns are pretty magical and unique. I could just have them be fey sprites but what would be their purpose other than to be mischevious and horde other peoples gold (a relatively arbitrary placement without any other tie to events, people or places on Moray). Ideally I'd like something that causes the creation of leprechaun like creatures, or something that gives reason for their existence and appearance only on Moray (they are mentioned nowhere else).
Given the nature focused location I was thinking more along the lines of a water, forest or grassy type of fey that merely mimics human voice to drive them away from certain places. If its water based I could easily give the mimicry and ventriloquism abilities to the water sprites of the River Shannyth and have them use the voices to drive humans away from the river (because they hate the humans for polluting the waters and slaying Shannyth the River Queen).

But I'm always open to ideas.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2019 :  03:30:52  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Again, a lot of monsters in D&D are from real world legends and myths. So they're from cultures and mythologies which don't exist in the Realms -- yet the critters are still there.

And that includes dragons and the most common forms of the undead.

So if leprechauns are being tossed out for being tied to real world cultures, why are you keeping everything else?

Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2019 :  07:25:13  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Because I can think of local origins for everything else.

Dragons were created on toril over time. Giants likewise (sired by Annan and his children). The water sprites immediately made me think of a water weird, nereid type creature which was easy to link to a fey Lord called shannyth the river queen.

Leprechauns give me nothing other than it's not really a leprechaun.

I'm not taking any creature for the real world. I'm using it as inspiration to create an alternative version on toril.

I'm taking this approach because I wanted to take a different path than the widely accepted single progenitor origin which then spreads it's offspring through gates and portals to other worlds. I don't like that way because it makes portals and gates more prevalent than I want.
So my alternative is that each crystal sphere is a mirror of another, created when some cataclysm strikes it's parent and twins them. Each mirror is operating to a similar design so they all come up with similar creatures independently by chance/fate/overgods intervention whatever you want to call it. Some creatures arrive by portal (elves, orcs, etc) and that's fine, the rest originate here on toril with their own story.

So for I've thrown leprechauns from earth out as it's not my approach. Leprechauns from faerie maybe but what is their purpose on faerie and why come only to Moray. Last alternative is they originate on Moray but again I can't think of any event or accident that might result in little men with personalities like leprechauns.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Demzer
Senior Scribe

873 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2019 :  09:37:42  Show Profile Send Demzer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Last alternative is they originate on Moray but again I can't think of any event or accident that might result in little men with personalities like leprechauns.

There can be a number of possibilities you are easily discounting. The most straightforward that comes to mind is that they are the offsprings of ensorcelled humans and fey and are seen as imperfect from the fey and outcast from human society (especially if the human in question is a northmen) and for some mysterious turn of fate they breed true with anything (human-like trait). They got the prankster attitude of the fey, human appearance, kind of a cynic attitude towards humans because they were rejected (the fey are too chaotic and flighty to actively hate/reject them) and in virtue of the fact they're some kind of crossbreed they have no problems handling metals (something the fey can't do) and so their treasure may very well be gold but any metal can do, heck there could even be a famous leprechaun blacksmith (or a team!) creating wonderful weapons or armors and then enchanting them with fey magic.

There are a lot of critters that appear in some area of Faerun with no clear explanation why they couldn't be found in other areas that have the same climate/geography so I don't see any problems in leprechauns being found only in Moray.
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2019 :  09:47:03  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not a bad idea, instead of human though what about halflings. They have a large presence in the Moonshaes that dates back before the humans but they are almost completely ignored.

I can easily see a halflings robbing from leshay and being cursed as a result. I'm alright with humanoid fey coupling but I feel it should be the exception rather than the norm and thus come with a suitably unique story.

There are two small wooded areas I haven't touched yet, one could be the former demesne of a faerie Lord and is now home to this cursed creature. Perhaps any who take the gold of a leprechaun slowly transform into one. It doesn't pose a danger to most ffolk (except maybe inquisitive children) but foreigners would likely fall victim to the pranks of a leprechaun.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2019 :  09:51:30  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I could even twist the phonetic of leprechaun to be lepers coin, which meant those taking the gifts were infected.

Perhaps if the leprechauns tricks you into taking his gift he is freed from the curse. Only the original leprechaun cannot be freed, he tricks people into taking his coin out of malice and to provide himself with servants so the leprechauns never die out and are localised to the east coast of Moray

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Demzer
Senior Scribe

873 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2019 :  10:48:42  Show Profile Send Demzer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
See? There you go, just keep the ball spinning and some nice ideas will come, there are really a few things that can't be salvaged in the Realms.
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2019 :  10:54:38  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well that's why I come here when I draw a blank, there are always plenty of nice folks around with great ideas.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2019 :  13:10:10  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A rough draft of the creature. I will add detail on the faerie castle (likely to be a hole in the ground as I don't envisage the leshay creating a castle but living in natural homes like huge trees or caves etc.

Leprechaun: Known to the ffolk of Moray as the Loibargibhn; the vile gift, this diminutive fey creature resembles a small (2 ft tall), wrinkled, old humanoid, often adorned with fine materials and shiny baubles to distract from their disturbing appearing.

Loibargibhn are known for their attempts to persuade unwary travellers to pick up one of their "gifts", and in so doing pass on their accursed appearance and purpose. These attempts involve leaving the gift in plain sight on well trodden paths, or luring travellers to its location using mimicry and ventriloquism to sound like someone in pain or needing help to draw people near, sometimes the loibargibhn will offer the item in trade for a bargain price. A loibargibhn can not venture far (20 ft at most) from their "gift" without suffering a wasting malady that proves fatal over time.

Anyone touching the "gift" becomes accursed and will gradually find his form twist and shrink until he joins the loibargibhn. Meanwhile the former loibargibhn is now freed and gradually returns to his original form.

Loibargibhn are only found on the Isle of Moray, and scholars believe they are all cursed by the same legendary being known only as Dreiache (the trickster). This fell creature is supposed to have stolen a boon from the faerie lords of Moray and become accursed for it. He is said to still live in the faerie castle to which his boon is eternally bound.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11691 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2019 :  15:52:32  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
On the idea of leprechauns being a cross-breed, while halfling do have the look, it might be better to go with forest or rock gnome instead. You could also have it that they cross-bred with some kind of even smaller fey, for instance brownies. Or in an odd twist, halfling/gnome crossbreeds with the gnomes coming from Faerie. This might fit with the beard imagery, etc... On the idea of having them be crafters with gold, I'd shy away from weapons and armor. What about musical instruments? Jewelry in the form of rings, crowns, necklaces, earrings, bracelets, etc..? What about leather working in the form of shoe making?

Or in another twist, perhaps these are gnomes or halflings that were twisted by the power of the black gem that affected the Queen of Air and Darkness. Maybe they guard a rainbow bridge/celestial stairway to that realm (or Brokenstone Vale... see below as well). Maybe they mine fairy gold in that realm and black gems with ties to the black gem, and they make jewelry/musical instruments which corrupt those who use them.

Or maybe these items don't corrupt individuals, but simply serve as spying points into the world for the QoA&D and the unseelie court. When other fey find these items they try to get them to perform scrying in reverse, to see into the unseelie court.

For that matter, it might be worth linking some myths of the isle of Moray. For instance, there's the myth of the maiden of Highpeak, who lives in a castle of glass, which none can find. Her sons left across "a drawbridge of glass" (I'm thinking celestial stairway... rainbow bridge). After crossing, they couldn't find the way back (portal close), until a savage winter storm (hmm, QoA&D related to cold). So, I'm picturing a castle made of black glass, with a banshee, in a land of perpetual darkness and cold. Maybe the leprechauns know this path and try and keep people from finding it for their own safety. The castle may also be filled with beings such as hags, and perhaps the "sons" which came into the world were actually hagspawn. Maybe these sons were lyncanthropes instead from Brokenstone Vale, and the wailing heard is the "howls" of the lyncanthropes of Brokenstone Vale. The banshee itself may have also been a hag rather than an elf, one who hid behind a façade of beauty to corrupt mortals.... or even a lyncathrope such as a foxwoman who misses her dead sons and transformed into a banshee of sorts.

Later lore (Dungeon #196, Backdrop Moonshae Isles) also has a contingent of the "people of the black blood" being on this island. It may be that the children who left the Maiden of Highpeak were themselves cursed. Maybe they were lycanthropes. Maybe the castle of glass exists in the feywild location known as Brokenstone Vale. This could work as it also mixes in the eladrin court of the stars, and might help mixing in some of the moonwell concepts.

From FR2 Moonshae Isles
'Tis the maiden of Highpeak, it is,' he announced. 'Crying for the lost souls of her children.' Upon my gentle questioning, he elaborated. The maid, according to legend, dwells in a beautiful castle of glass high in the Orcskull Range. Her castle is surrounded by a grove of enchanted fruit, fruit so blessed that none who eat of it need ever fear disease or death. The castle is separated from the surrounding mountains by wide chasms, Here the maid lived in peace, raising many fine sons.

But the sons grew restless in their isolated home, and they built a drawbridge of glass to extend to a nearby mountain. Then the sons left the castle, over the drawbridge, to explore the world. But they found that as soon as they left the castle, it disappeared behind them, and they could see neither bridge nor castle, even on the clearest of days. And so they wandered the world. They were fine, strong men, and soon found employment in the armies that fought back and forth among the surrounding lands. One by one, they died in battle, until only one, the oldest, remained alive.

Despairing for the grief that had come upon his family, he made a final effort to return to the home of his mother. At last, in the height of a winter storm, he saw the castle before him, with long bridge of glass leading toward it. Rejoicing, he set across the drawbridge, but it was slippery with ice, and he could not retain his footing. He slipped, and tumbled to his death upon the jagged rocks below.

Now, the king explained, on days of wondrous summer warmth or savage winter cold, the mother mourns for her children in a long, keening wail that carries plainly to the fields beyond the mountains. No mortal, it is said, has ever seen the glass castle or its slender bridge. But perhaps one day, say the legends, a young man or woman who is a descendant of the maid in the castle will enter the Orcskull Range, see the castle of glass, and cross the drawbridge to relieve the suffering of the mother who has grown old with the pain of her sorrow.

From the looks of the retainers, who had listened, enraptured, to the king#146;s tale, I felt certain that each was wondering if he might be the descendant who would discover the castle and bring proof to the tale. I myself was strangely touched. When the strange cry was repeated later in the night, I found myself wondering about the poor mother. I devoutly hoped that she would one day find her peace.

From Dungeon 196
The Black Blood Tribe: Although not as mighty or as organized as other power groups, another force exerts a great deal of destructive influence in the Moonshae region. A group of Malar-revering lycanthropes holds sway over the island of Moray. This group, called the Black Blood Tribe, is composed of Faerûn-born lycanthropes and those who have traveled from the Feywild region of Brokenstone Vale, a lycanthrope-infested nightmare realm. The Black Bloods attack any civilized community or group on the island, and they perform gruesome rituals aimed at bringing a divine servant of Malar to the Moonshaes to lead them. When the Black Bloods succeed
at that goal, they intend to turn the beast’s savagegaze toward the civilized islands.

from Heroes of the Feywild on Brokenstone Vale
Brokenstone Vale Deep in the shadows of a mountain pass lies Brokenstone Vale, a haven for werebeasts and shapechangers that was conceded to them by the eladrin after years of brutal warfare. According to an ancient pact between the shape changers and the Court of Stars, no creature can set foot in Brokenstone Vale without the lycanthropes' permission. If any careless traveler does so, his life is as good as forfeit. This pact also works the other way; lycanthropes that hunt beyond the vale can be slain by the Maiden of the Moon, an archfey who keeps her wary eye on them.

You come from the forested mountains above Brokenstone. By day, you hunt in the woods, farm the lower mountain slopes, or practice your trade. In their humanoid forms, the lycanthropes can be
useful (if intimidating) trading partners, and many seem good-natured and genuine. However, others eye you when you pass by as if you were nothing more than a potential meal. It is the cries of these predators that seem the strongest when the vale fills with a chorus of feral howls beneath the light of the moon. During these times when the monsters are on the hunt, painting a silver stripe across the door to your dwelling tells the shapechangers that you have silver and the protection of the Maiden of the Moon. Even the most bloodthirsty of their kind heed the sign of the stripe.

You also know that the lycanthropes will not touch the wolfsbane that grows on the slopes of Brokenstone Vale. It is said that a touch of the plant, when properly applied, transforms a werecreature into its humanoid form and prevents it from changing again until the next moon rises. Displaying wolfsbane around your dwelling usually deters lycanthropes, but use of the plant can enrage them and single you out as a target. Wolfsbane is often dangerous to obtain because aside from its toxic nature, hags and witches collect the plant for use in their charms and spells. These creatures flit like black shadows across the face of the moon while the terrible howls fill the night from below.

<snip>
This forested valley and the mine-riddled mountains that surround it are the province of were beasts of all kinds, given free range by an ancient pact with the Court of Stars. In tiny hamlets on the boundaries of this realm, civilized lycanthropes can trade with merchants under the watchful eye of werewolflord Viktor Mazan. Underneath Brokenstone Vale lies an entrance to the fomorian kingdom of Harrowhame.

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 01 Feb 2019 16:01:22
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2019 :  16:04:20  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I shall have a look into that. I noted halflings had a presence that predates humans and is as ancient as elves and dwarves which is why I picked them for this purpose. I've found nothing that indicates a gnomish presence thus far so I'm reticent to just make a link without something to base it on.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2019 :  16:29:43  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lycanthropes I've accounted for at least in the traditional werewolf manner and the weredog and wereseals. I'm steering clear of huge armies of lycanthropes as it seems like one of those kewl ideas of 4e and I much prefer the personal and unique touch that a stalking werewolf can bring.

Leprechauns as crafters is not a bad idea. I've got music tied in heavily to the leshay and theur magic, it is how kazgoroth is imprisoned and awakened on the Moonshaes isles. The leprechaun could possibly craft musical instruments as punishment for what the first one stole. When a new leprechaun is made he must fashion his own instrument, the old one that cursed him becomes a beautiful but inert item.
Through the leprechauns I can add the bone flutes and other natural material derived instruments

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11691 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2019 :  17:36:15  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Lycanthropes I've accounted for at least in the traditional werewolf manner and the weredog and wereseals. I'm steering clear of huge armies of lycanthropes as it seems like one of those kewl ideas of 4e and I much prefer the personal and unique touch that a stalking werewolf can bring.

Leprechauns as crafters is not a bad idea. I've got music tied in heavily to the leshay and theur magic, it is how kazgoroth is imprisoned and awakened on the Moonshaes isles. The leprechaun could possibly craft musical instruments as punishment for what the first one stole. When a new leprechaun is made he must fashion his own instrument, the old one that cursed him becomes a beautiful but inert item.
Through the leprechauns I can add the bone flutes and other natural material derived instruments

If you're going for the more macabre crafting for them, what about ties to shoe making from the flesh of those they've slain. Perhaps such shoes can have one purpose and a hidden purpose. For instance, maybe they can work like boots of silence or boots of invisbility, but when a leprechaun speaks a command word maybe they can inflict the wearer with Otto's Irresistible Dance.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2019 :  18:05:20  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Leprechauns as a source of magic items is not a bad idea, if I the them to the wood and it's surroundings then they have enough access to odd reagents over the course of many decades to make a single magic item out of their "gift" to entice others to want to possess it. The most evil or insane might make it a cursed item while others might just make it a fake item.

I will have to limit their numbers to maybe 1 a century becoming a leprechaun and maybe give them a few centuries lifespan so that there aren't lots of magic items around (I do low magic high fantasy).

And the music and crystal thing I can use with the leshay and be how they maintain a presence on the material plane. When the crystal was stolen the faerie regions shift back to the plane of faerie. That way for karador to return they might need a new crystal like the one the original leprechaun stole.

It's always nice when you guys give me a bucketful of inspiration.

Thank you very much

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 03 Feb 2019 :  15:34:47  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thinking about northmen as I prepare to move from Moray to norland.

I never liked northmen as a term. Do I use northmen when it's for a singular northman or do I use the plural regardless. Is northmen now a subrace of its own consisting of the primarily seafaring progenitors of the illuskan subrace.

Furthermore I've seen quotes that the korinn archipelago was settled first. I think the northmen sailed up from the south and landed on the korinn archipelago before heading on to ruathym and other northern islands. The ruathym and gundarlun lot later travelled back to the Moonshaes isles to settle norland and norheim, what would they make of their forgotten ancestors on the korinn archipelago (If any survived).

I'm wondering if I should call the northmen the Norr. We have Norheim and Norland, I could change Korinn to be Korinnor.

The northmen seem distinct in culture from the illuskans of the sword coast (who are much more westernized and feudalised than their seafaring kin).

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2019 :  03:34:18  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The moonshaes and the northern sword coast cultures pretty directly reflect the real-world areas of the British Isles and Scandinavia. The cultures are similar as well - the northment of the Moonshaes resemble the Scotts whereas Illuskans resemble viking cultures. Their interactions mirror those of real history as well, with the Scandinavians raiding on the island.
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2019 :  11:28:35  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The northmen of Gnarhelm, being horse riders, remind me of the Rohirrim.

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)

Edited by - Barastir on 04 Feb 2019 11:30:02
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2019 :  11:58:26  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well horses are not mentioned much elsewhere so I took the horses of the gnarhelm to be the exception rather than the rule.

The bloodriders struck me as a mercenary band hired as shock troops. The illuskans of gnarhelm probably brought horses with them from mainland faerun when they arrived around 850 DR.
I made the gnarhelm people more progressive than other northmen as the northmen have been isolated on the islands for several thousand years, whereas the illuskans of gnarhelm built came from stornanter (I reckon).

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2019 :  21:01:52  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Doing a bit about Moonwells at the moment. I've decided on the Moonwells themselves being enchanted by the LeShay to trap Kazgoroth on the Moonshae Isles and weaken him.

So Kazgoroth and his allies corrupting the Moonwell is breaking this LeShay enchantment. I'm undecided yet though whether it means the Moonwells are restored to their original state, or whether it means Kazgoroth is doing something else to them.

If Kazgoroth is corrupting them to create his own web of artifact level magic items what powers should these Corrupted Moonwells have? Do the novels depict a Corrupted Moonwell as having any powers or do they just sit there discarded?

I'm tempted to give them an undeath type of power so that those corpses submerged within a Corrupted Moonwell become animated once more (although I'm not decided if this is negative energy like true undeath, or something else). The Banshee Rider was transformed into undeath by being submerged in the Fens of the Fallon. The Blood Riders are undead warriors that perhaps Kazgoroth creates using Corrupted Moonwells.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2019 :  12:18:02  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Moving on to Norland.

I have noticed a complete lack of organization for the northmen, and they are even harder to think up than the ffolk.

The northmen appear to follow the rule of might is right. They go whaling to gain renown. They go raiding to gain renown (and a bit of money). They spend the rest of the time drinking and brawling while the weak and the slaves do the agriculture and the fishing. This type of society does not lead to longstanding organisations because anything created by a strong leader will inevitably fail when that leader dies and it is claimed by others attempting to succeed him.

I've got a Cult of Tempos, which is the remnants of the old religion that the northmen used to follow (a precursor to the church of Tempus that glorified raiding and sacrifice).

I've found details about the Knights of the Storm, a band of insurgents that follow the Storm Knight (identity unknown) who have agents on the Moonshae Isles (I figure Norheim). These guys seem like people who want to overthrow the established order and spread chaos wherever they go so that they can grow rich and have fun in the anarchy that follows. I'm betting the Knights of the Storm would find more than a few northmen willing to follow a strong leader that wants to slay the kings of the ffolk.

Anyone have any northmen organizations they have created?

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11691 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2019 :  14:54:32  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Moving on to Norland.

I have noticed a complete lack of organization for the northmen, and they are even harder to think up than the ffolk.

The northmen appear to follow the rule of might is right. They go whaling to gain renown. They go raiding to gain renown (and a bit of money). They spend the rest of the time drinking and brawling while the weak and the slaves do the agriculture and the fishing. This type of society does not lead to longstanding organisations because anything created by a strong leader will inevitably fail when that leader dies and it is claimed by others attempting to succeed him.

I've got a Cult of Tempos, which is the remnants of the old religion that the northmen used to follow (a precursor to the church of Tempus that glorified raiding and sacrifice).

I've found details about the Knights of the Storm, a band of insurgents that follow the Storm Knight (identity unknown) who have agents on the Moonshae Isles (I figure Norheim). These guys seem like people who want to overthrow the established order and spread chaos wherever they go so that they can grow rich and have fun in the anarchy that follows. I'm betting the Knights of the Storm would find more than a few northmen willing to follow a strong leader that wants to slay the kings of the ffolk.

Anyone have any northmen organizations they have created?

As far as gods, I'd stick Valkur, Tyr, and Helm amongst them as prominent. Tyr might not have much of a following, but I would think the northmen would appreciate things like keeping honor/oaths, etc... If not Tyr, Hoar the Doombringer could also fit.

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6351 Posts

Posted - 06 Feb 2019 :  15:48:15  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well I'm using a non god centric model which means the religion can't just appear it has to flow from person to person.

Now the illuskans could bring some of those gods to the Moonshaes when they created gnarhelm but I'm not entirely certain all or any of those gods would have been present in stornanter in 850 DR.

I don't see the northmen as being particularly religious. There are sales who will undoubtedly have stories of the gods, but they would be old gods that have long fallen out of favour.

Wasn't valkur a god of the inner sea.

Alternate Realms Site