Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 All Things Moonshae
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 22

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2019 :  19:22:01  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Jim,

That's looks pretty good, I repurposed ityak ortheel to have a slightly different origin but if you don't mind I'll still use the image for the carnivorous islands I used in place of the elf eater

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
2065 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2019 :  19:31:58  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Gary Dallison

So Fake Cult of the Dragon cell in the Moonshae Isles running drugs from Calimshan to the islands that acts as spies for the Twisted Rune in the Sword Coast North.

It could be even more pedestrian. He could simply be running drugs to increase the size of his hoard.

--Eric

--
http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2065 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2019 :  19:35:55  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Doc Filth

Very comprehensive, and prompt. Thanks!

I think, for the purposes of this module, I'll stick with "...carries whatever spells and items the DM wishes to give him", with a note that his spell repertoire includes Forget and Time Stop.

Kind of odd, though, that an NPC of his power level went completely under the 3.5 radar.

... and Flamsterd's Flamestrike. (See FA1 - Halls of the High King, page 51.)

--
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2019 :  20:23:04  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ericlboyd

quote:

So Fake Cult of the Dragon cell in the Moonshae Isles running drugs from Calimshan to the islands that acts as spies for the Twisted Rune in the Sword Coast North.

It could be even more pedestrian. He could simply be running drugs to increase the size of his hoard.

--Eric

Well drugs in and of themselves could be just drugs, but it ignores the opportunity to explain the presence of an already established evil organisation (the cult of the dragon already has 5 dragons / dracoliches in the region by 1365 DR). The drugs come from Calimshan, the only cult of the dragon presence i could find from Calimshan was ultimately linked to the Twisted Rune via intermediaries. I figure that the scarlet dragon in Amn has organised the drug running to add to his hoard and is using the cult of the dragon as a front for his activities, he in turn is being manipulated by a wizard which is actually an illusory alias of sappriktar the blue who is using the information from the drug runners to add to his spy network.

I'm a big fan of double and triple bluffs and secrets and counter secrets.

So while the cult of the dragon cells in Alaron and Snowdown will be of Calishite / Amnian origin, it will be a false cult and will actually serve the Twisted Rune ultimately.

I'm intending for another cult cell to exist in Gnarhelm and possibly Gwynneth which will be a true cult of the dragon cell founded by cultists from the northern sword coast.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2019 :  21:06:16  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Noted on the 4e maps for the Moonshae Isles that the location of Caer Allisynn and Tir faoi Thoinn, as well as east of Flamsterd, north east of Moray, and several places in Norheim show what looks like sunken islands.

I've already got rumours and myths of islands sinking (inspired by caer allisynn and the sinking of half of flamsterd) and linked that to the dwindling power of the Earthmother, as she is drained of power and starts to die, then parts of her collapse into the waters. The sunken land masses look like parts of the islands that have sunk in the past.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 09 Sep 2019 :  20:58:55  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Arrrgh, just found one of those maddening quotes in the Moonshae sourcebook

quote:
The longships landed first along the Norheim Isles, taking tribute from the tiny kingdoms of the Ffolk they found there.
Next Norland and then Oman and Moray

So it looks like the northmen left from Waterdeep as well (and i checked there were a few settlements in the twilit lands of northmen origin around 200 DR when i reckon the northmen began invading the Moonshaes.

So now i have sources saying northmen came from tuern, gundarlun, ruathym, and now waterdeep.
I could get ignore it because those northmen from waterdeep are from the same stock and probably ruled by those from the islands (until later when the twilit lands become populous enough to gain independence)

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6641 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2019 :  02:40:39  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Your quote doesn't mention Waterdeep ...

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2019 :  06:38:47  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Silly me, I missed the important bit out

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2019 :  10:08:54  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Anyone done anything with the island of llorgh in norheim, or surtrs maw or dalheim, or daryns rest.

I'm assuming surtrs maw is a volcano, I'm thinking of linking it to koraxis' maw (the name for bhaal among the sahuagin, and therefore making it a volcanic vent that has sea access to it so the sahuagin can visit as well. I figure it has been used to make a variety of items in the past (ysallas gold dagger, and a few magic items belonging to the true giants).

Otherwise it's completely undetailed. Given that the northmen arrived here first I could litter it with old northmen settlements, but northmen don't really make anything that lasts very long (mostly wooden structures).

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2065 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2019 :  11:47:33  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Anyone done anything with the island of llorgh in norheim, or surtrs maw or dalheim, or daryns rest.

I'm assuming surtrs maw is a volcano, I'm thinking of linking it to koraxis' maw (the name for bhaal among the sahuagin, and therefore making it a volcanic vent that has sea access to it so the sahuagin can visit as well. I figure it has been used to make a variety of items in the past (ysallas gold dagger, and a few magic items belonging to the true giants).

Otherwise it's completely undetailed. Given that the northmen arrived here first I could litter it with old northmen settlements, but northmen don't really make anything that lasts very long (mostly wooden structures).

I think the Northmen might leave other enduring legacies. For example, twisted, rune-scarred stones that vaguely resemble the humans and monsters they once were.

--
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2019 :  12:13:11  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Rune scarred stones that were once humans and monsters, implying that some terrifying creature stalked the island in the past, or alternatively the northmen once possessed a skill with runes that they inherited from their former giant masters (that they have since lost), and that skill was used to petrify northmen and monster alike mid-battle (the runes are there to keep the petrification from wearing off).

Not a bad idea, using the unique magic of the moonshaes to preserve northmen history and ruins

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

ericlboyd

USA
2065 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2019 :  13:07:37  Show Profile  Visit ericlboyd's Homepage Send ericlboyd a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Another idea.

The rune-scarred, twisted stones are "stone echoes." Simply, in the wake of a major battle, the surrounding stones absorb the energies of that battle (maybe through the will of Tempus).

In the decades and centuries that follow, the stones gradually take on the twisted aspect of those who fought and died, leaving a cryptic manifestation of history long gone.

quote:

Rune scarred stones that were once humans and monsters, implying that some terrifying creature stalked the island in the past, or alternatively the northmen once possessed a skill with runes that they inherited from their former giant masters (that they have since lost), and that skill was used to petrify northmen and monster alike mid-battle (the runes are there to keep the petrification from wearing off).

Not a bad idea, using the unique magic of the moonshaes to preserve northmen history and ruins

--
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2019 :  13:16:03  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You do have some very nice ideas. I shall do that for the first landing of the northmen in norheim where they slaughtered most of an island (who refused to pay up or defend themselves), that should be suitably twisted to scar impressions into the stone.

Perhaps if enough horrors were committed over a long period of time this could imbue sentience into the rocks and I have an explanation for the Galen duhr like creatures around the moonshae isles

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2019 :  13:20:57  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I shall have to look into the names of the places and see if I can corrupt any into real Norse words.

Heim means home, so perhaps if dal approximates to dead or stone then Dalheim can be the site of a battle with lots of death and scary stones

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

ElfBane
Learned Scribe

USA
275 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2019 :  23:36:07  Show Profile Send ElfBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wasn't Heimdal the guardian of the bridge/gate to Asgard? Maybe "dal" means some sort of defensive word, such as the "home guard".
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2019 :  08:51:00  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So heimdal could be guardian of home and the dalheim becomes home of guardians.

I think I will use petrified warriors on llorgh, and then use the memory morphed rocks for other islands in norheim and for gnarhelm and Oman where there are Galeb duhr like creatures.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2019 :  13:34:21  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Adding in tristans chain shirt, seems sensible to be mithril, its light and strong and gleaming like silver, and it keeps him alive against blows from dinosaurs, giants, and even a God. Not sure whether to make it enchanted though, not everything has to be enchanted.

Daryths scimitar is magic, might make it a shoon weapon, minor enchantment to make it sharper and glow in the dark.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

ElfBane
Learned Scribe

USA
275 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2019 :  20:04:38  Show Profile Send ElfBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A couple of questions, Gary, about your ultimate goal.

1. Will this Moonshaes lore project eventually be a GHotR-like publication similar to the Maztica project stuff that has been published at the DMs Guild?

2. I believe you published a dynastic record regarding the Moonshaes High-Kings. Will you publish a dynastic record of the Gwynneth/Corwell sub-Kings? Will it be included in the Moonshaes lore project I asked about above? And, do you have enough canon lore to attempt to compile a Gwynneth/Corwell dynastic record?

3. And, to sneak in a third question, when might this be published?

Thank you.
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2019 :  20:40:59  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I cant say i'm terribly enamoured with the DMs Guild, too much water in the swamp to get noticed. I also dislike having to update and release new versions of pdfs and make them available everywhere.

So instead i opted to go for a wiki style webpage (the link is in my sig) that i can build step by step and amend as i see fit without having to update and release the material.

Ultimately i'm hoping to detail the Moonshae Isles as much as i can using all the canon lore available but repurposing and twisting bits of it to remove the really horrible bits (everything 4e and later) and also to allow DMs and players to take part in the Kazgoroth events rather than just read about them in a novel (i really hate that novels removed playing opportunities, by the end of the two trilogies there was no reason to ever visit the Moonshae Isles).

I plan to have a detailed wiki of every place and person and item and organisation in the Moonshae Isles and then have an adventure path of sorts (not even started that bit) that allows the players to stop Kazgoroth's return.

I'm only intending to do this on the wordpress website i'm afraid and there is no intended finishing date, its a labour of love at this point, if i get fed up i will move onto another area (i intend to cover everywhere in the realms if i live long enough) and come back as the whims take me.

I've got the Hugh Dynasty from GHoTR which i'm adding a bit of detail to as i go through events. I did at one point detail all the dynasties of Corwell, Moray, Oman, and Snowdown as part of an earlier version but i've decided i'm not entirely happy with those and will only be using pieces. Ultimately the dynasties of Corwell and the other islands is not terribly important and i have only provided detail on a few that allowed me to detail the area further.

If you want to see what i've got then here is the link https://alternaterealmsblog.wordpress.com/

I will add pictures and pretty it up when i've finished, but thats more of an if than a when.

If you have any comments (even something as minor as spelling mistakes or poor sentence structure) then you can post them here or on the site (i think i have comments enabled)

Alternate Realms Site

Edited by - Gary Dallison on 12 Sep 2019 20:44:08
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2019 :  21:24:00  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Added in my take on ley lines and crossroads, trying to incorporate menhir, trilithons, and dolmen into different ways to affect ley lines and crossroads and why they arent well known outside of the Moonshae Isles and Rashemen (basically what is it about urbanisation and civilisation that removes ley lines).

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2019 :  07:58:55  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Darkwell details added, now onto a past approximation of the details on prophet of moonshae.

First up are the blackstones. I get the feeling that they have been talos worshippers for a long time. I'm decided on talos being a northmen God (netheril was jonah and calkmshan was bhaelros and talos fits with the bleak northmen ideology as well as his look being northmen ish)

Cults aren't really a northmen thing, they just follow the advice of their skalds who represent all the gods of the northmen and provide predictions and other services to those nearby.

The illuskans of gnarhelm however are from stornanter and so are perfect for evil cults. Angus Blackstone is a big man and his hearth has a huge double bladed axe above it (a northmen weapon) so perhaps he is of illuskan heritage.

Aeroth Silverhelm was from silverymoon and established vlan after the illuskans took gnarhelm, perhaps the blackstones could be illuskans from vlan that helped secure the Blackstone pass and were rewarded with an earldom.

I could even have coss-axell-sinioth provide the means (money) for the blackstones to secure the pass from gnarhelm and thus cement the worship of talos among the earls of Blackstone. For instance providing a bag of 100 black Pearls with which moray mercenaries were bought and used to fight. In return the earl makes a shrine beneath Blackstone manor and inducts his son and does a bit of sacrificing and we have a cult cell that's lasts a century or more.

I need to pepper in similar events throughout the other ffolk kingdoms where a wealthy benefactor provides patronage in return for some low level evil doing. The coss-axell-sinioth has cultists all over the islands taking part in his ritual that focuses a part of the eternal maelstrom on the moonshae isles.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2019 :  14:06:55  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
(...) I'm decided on talos being a northmen God (...)

Since in the original novels he is one of the interloper deities which is trying to establish himself in the islands, and Tempus has a "stormy aspect" among the northmen, I decided to explore a rivalry between them - or their clergy - in my campaign. Not exactly what you intend to do, but maybe you can get something out of it. Maybe they wrestle for worshipers, just like Malar gets some followers away from Tempus among the northmen, mostly the more savage berserkers.

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2019 :  14:41:59  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I will have a think about it, you do pose an interesting point in that the worship of talos already exists among northmen so why would coss-axell-sinioth import a similar cult from the mainland.

I think for me the answer is that the northmen are not very religious, they are pragmatic about it and offer veneration only when requires (its stormy, sacrifice a goat to talas). Otherwise I think the northmen ignore their gods (the worship of tempos declined considerably among the northmen in the past few centuries according to ed).
I reckon the skalds are the only ones preserving the worship of the gods and they are doing so to keep a place in society for themselves, they don't care which God people venerate, they offer that divine link for people to any God (and accept sacrifices on their behalf).

I think the goal of interloper cults is to establish themselves among the more organised and therefore susceptible societies of the ffolk and the illuskans of gnarhelm.

There is enough mentions in canon to suppose that cults have been making inroads into the islands for a few centuries (malar in prayers from the faithful, bane twice in halls of the high king, bhaal in halls of the high king, talos in prophet of moonshae) but there is no widespread presence so I think it is still relatively virgin territory, the cults just need to remove the monopoly that the druids and the earthmother have in ffolk culture (hence the campaign to eliminate them).

No direct divine intervention for me though, that's strictly disallowed.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2019 :  22:19:13  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Noted that lavish was from snowdown but the one island she is not mentioned as visiting is snowdown. I could perhaps manufacture a plot hook out of that later.

Also noted the Blackstone castle has a green dragon head mounted on its wall and the cult of the dragon has three fairly young green dragons that are siblings (not yet turned I believe). Perhaps one of the Earl's of Blackstone killed their parent

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2019 :  12:00:33  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Picking up on the talisman that Coss-Axell-Sinioth affixed to the ship that reflect magic back at the caster.

I noted that the talisman had the triple forked lightning bolt on it, and that same symbol is found in the sahuagin of kressilacc.

Giving it a bit of history i figured it arrived with the illuskan invasion of gnarhelm and thus might have had history in stornanter. Given its primary power is to reflect magic i figure it might have been crafted with the purpose of being used against Laeral, perhaps during the coup to kill her (the one which killed Marek). Perhaps the coup was discovered early before the talisman was ready and so they had to implement it early (resulting in its failure).

Then, in keeping with burials in Gnarhelm, it was buried at sea with an important noble at some point later where it came to be picked up by the sahuagin of Kressilacc who worshipped it as a symbol of a powerful god of storms.

I also decided to give it the power to call down a lightning strike and make the user immune to lightnings, i'm going to call this item the Eye of the Storm

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2019 :  14:50:21  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've never liked the name Coss-Axell-Sinioth. Sounds too much like one of those real-world noble houses that was formed by the marriage of other noble houses.

I don't like having even a single hyphen in a name, much less multiple ones.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2019 :  15:01:11  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well I share a similar dislike unless there is a cultural reason for it (like I use in unther). So I decided to make coss-axell-sinioth a merged being a bit like a sharn, each of those names are fragments of the names of the original beings. There was no indication to do as such in canon but there is so little written about him and he is killed off so I figure I have free reign.

I thought the squid form was significant and his other form as an amorphous blob with pseudo pod limbs gave me the idea of something sharn like. I was originally going to make one of his parts be batrachi but couldn't find a satisfactory link to why he would want to destroy the ffolk. Then I moved onto elves and linked him to an idea i have regarding the llewyrr flight from illefarn, so coss-axell-sinioth are elven names and he wants to destroy the moonshae isles and everything on them because he is bound to that location.

It's still work in progress, but hopefully it's more interesting and grounded than the current unknown squid guy

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2019 :  20:47:02  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Tried to come up with sahuagin approximations for the surface deities that are worshipped there.

Koraxis the Ravening Maw (Bhaal), Ssassatal the Forked (Talos), Nutasslin the Briny Waste (Auril), Ragarmax the Seawolf (Malar).

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6641 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2019 :  23:29:23  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Tried to come up with sahuagin approximations for the surface deities that are worshipped there.

Koraxis the Ravening Maw (Bhaal), Ssassatal the Forked (Talos), Nutasslin the Briny Waste (Auril), Ragarmax the Seawolf (Malar).

I think these are very cool. I am a huge fan of various deities being worshipped around the Realms via different names. Good stuff.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus

Edited by - George Krashos on 19 Sep 2019 23:29:51
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6641 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2019 :  23:30:01  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I think these are very cool.I am a huge fan of various deities being worshipped around the Realms via different names. Good stuff.

-- George Krashos

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 22 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000