Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Looking For Dwarf Clan
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Rils
Learned Scribe

USA
108 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2014 :  18:17:50  Show Profile Send Rils a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Are there any dwarf families or clans which are known for being:
a) notable jewelers/gemsmiths or
b) "lost" (ie members got scattered, died out under mysterious circumstances, didn't show up for the corporate Christmas party and were never heard from again, etc).

Bonus points for hitting both of those criteria! Thanks,

~Rils

Dugmaren Brightmantle is my homey.

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2014 :  22:01:26  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Clan Ironstar has near-mythical status. The members hide their heritage; they were known for their amazing ability to craft magical weapons, but jewelry is not much of a stretch.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Rils
Learned Scribe

USA
108 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2014 :  17:41:24  Show Profile Send Rils a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ooo, sounds like a good start... Where would I find info on them?

Dugmaren Brightmantle is my homey.
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2014 :  19:50:47  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dwarves Deep is the definitive resource for the dwarves. It has a whole section on fallen dwarf realms, including that of the Ironstars.

There aren't a lot of dwarf clans noted for their gems. The Ironstars, for instance, were famous for their darksteel, and magical maces. One clan that did have a famous gem mine was the Deepdelve clan, whose mine eventually turned into the Dungeon of Death. The Deepdelves are still around, though you could say that they all fell when the medusae took the halls.

You also have the extinct Clan Melair and its families (with names like Auricairn, Axonyx, Bladesharp, Chalcydon, Dumatheir, Garnetarm, Metalheart, and Truedigger). Their clanhome, Melairbode, is today Undermountain. But again, they were famous for mithril, not gems.

edit: Oops, forgot to mention that the Dungeon adventure Undermountain: The Lost Level has lots more about the dwarves of Clan Melair.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.

Edited by - Hoondatha on 29 Oct 2014 19:51:33
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6353 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2014 :  20:07:50  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Iron House, otherwise known as the Royal family of Tethyamar, ruled in exile by Ghellin who died of a wasting disease in the Far Hills a few years ago.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page