Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 "Forging the Realms" article archive?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Razz
Senior Scribe

USA
749 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2014 :  04:00:53  Show Profile Send Razz a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Ok, is it just me, or can no one else access an archive on the D&D Website of all of Ed's "Forging the Realms" articles?

I did Google and it did have a site called Forging the Realms Archives but all it did was lead me to a broken page.

Is there anyway to access all the previous Forging the Realms articles?

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2014 :  04:07:23  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How about through here:http://archive.wizards.com/dnd/default.aspx ?

I would try it but this machine I am using, but it locks up on anything approaching a modern webpage.

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2014 :  06:24:39  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Try this link

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 11 Sep 2014 06:25:10
Go to Top of Page

Alaundo
Head Moderator
Admin

United Kingdom
5692 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2014 :  09:40:57  Show Profile  Visit Alaundo's Homepage Send Alaundo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met

Aye, i'm no fan of the new WotC site layout and design and find myself using the archive all too much. Longing for a single ZIP download of [i]Forging the Realms[/] PDFs, however

Alaundo
Candlekeep Forums Head Moderator

An Introduction to Candlekeep - by Ed Greenwood
The Candlekeep Compendium - Tomes of Realmslore penned by Scribes of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2014 :  12:25:45  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I discovered recently that I'd missed about a dozen of the earlier articles, and used that link I shared to go thru and make sure I had them all.

Go to Top of Page

Razz
Senior Scribe

USA
749 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2014 :  00:40:23  Show Profile Send Razz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Wooly! :D
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2014 :  01:12:52  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Razz

Thanks, Wooly! :D

Not a problem! As I said, I recently discovered that I'd missed a few of them (about a dozen), so I'd had to find that link to find the ones I missed. Luckily, those links are still valid.

Go to Top of Page

Razz
Senior Scribe

USA
749 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2014 :  03:48:49  Show Profile Send Razz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Yeah with the way important D&D links get lost thanks to WotC, it is best to copy any info put up before that happens. I need to start copying these articles myself before that happens.
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2014 :  04:03:12  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If anyone wants, click the Google Drive link in my Sig. I've backed up all the articles I can there as pdfs, and most of the others I have printed, and will eventually have scanned.

- Delwa Aunglor
I am off to slay yon refrigerator and spoil it's horde. Go for the cheese, Boo!

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus

Edited by - Delwa on 20 Sep 2014 04:03:50
Go to Top of Page

Razz
Senior Scribe

USA
749 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2014 :  02:05:52  Show Profile Send Razz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Awesome! Nice! :D
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6648 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2014 :  02:42:40  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Very nice. Thanks.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2014 :  03:33:35  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No problem! I'm not sure where it was, but if memory serves, someone else had the first several articles linked here in a single pdf. If you find it, lemme know!

- Delwa Aunglor

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2391 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2015 :  01:05:54  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, and now they just wiped it out and locked from too polite archivers with robots.txt (blanket * on /dnd/), including all archive.wizards.com (!)
I suppose they indeed cannot leave evidence of how the quality changes.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2015 :  04:35:45  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've had serious issues with their website management for years, precisely because of crap like this: they just arbitrarily shuffle everything around and don't update any links or anything, leaving their content in Limbo. I once got in touch with their web folks to ask for help in locating an article that had long since been lost -- and they couldn't find it, either! (I eventually found it when someone gave me the title of the file; this was enough to play with URLs and locate it).

They've put together a pretty website, but you're screwed if you want to find anything on there that's more than a few months old.

Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2015 :  14:03:53  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Aye. They really screwed it up this time.
If it helps, This link lets you browse all Forging the Realms articles sorted by Date or Author, but it took me forever to find it on the website.

- Delwa Aunglor

Go to Top of Page

Shadowsoul
Senior Scribe

Ireland
705 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2015 :  14:07:54  Show Profile Send Shadowsoul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

I've had serious issues with their website management for years, precisely because of crap like this: they just arbitrarily shuffle everything around and don't update any links or anything, leaving their content in Limbo. I once got in touch with their web folks to ask for help in locating an article that had long since been lost -- and they couldn't find it, either! (I eventually found it when someone gave me the title of the file; this was enough to play with URLs and locate it).

They've put together a pretty website, but you're screwed if you want to find anything on there that's more than a few months old.

Give me functional over visual appealing any day.

“Fantasy is escapist, and that is its glory. If a soldier is imprisioned by the enemy, don't we consider it his duty to escape?. . .If we value the freedom of mind and soul, if we're partisans of liberty, then it's our plain duty to escape, and to take as many people with us as we can!”
#8213; J.R.R. Tolkien

*I endorse everything Dark Wizard says*.
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2015 :  14:16:18  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Delwa

Aye. They really screwed it up this time.
If it helps, This link lets you browse all Forging the Realms articles sorted by Date or Author, but it took me forever to find it on the website.

Thank you, Delwa. It seems that all the Forging the Realms article can still be found with that tool.

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.
Go to Top of Page

BadCatMan
Senior Scribe

Australia
401 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2021 :  12:18:08  Show Profile Send BadCatMan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Delwa

If anyone wants, click the Google Drive link in my Sig. I've backed up all the articles I can there as pdfs, and most of the others I have printed, and will eventually have scanned.

Sorry for the thread necromancy, but I had to say thanks for that. I went looking for these, but most of the PDFs aren't available through Wayback Machine, so this was the only way I could get them. Wizard's modern site only shows roughly half the articles, the dates are wrong (with days and months swapped), and they can't be searched. The archive via Wayback Machine is difficult to navigate and I'm not sure all the articles can be found there either. Three of the articles (The Lost Crown of Athalantar, The Halarkenblood Mystery, and The Sly Blade) are lost entirely from the Internet except for your PDFs. Yours is the only complete collection of the articles in any form. So, thanks for your preservation work.

I've collected as many working links to the archived HTML articles as I can find, and indexed them on the wiki.
https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Forging_the_Realms

BadCatMan, B.Sc. (Hons), M.Sc.
Scientific technical editor
Head DM of the Realms of Adventure play-by-post community
Administrator of the Forgotten Realms Wiki

Edited by - BadCatMan on 12 Aug 2021 12:20:45
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2021 :  15:29:56  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't understand why they don't just move everything to archives, after a time, instead of the current routine of shuffling everything around periodically and allowing stuff to get lost.

Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2021 :  16:04:15  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I don't understand why they don't just move everything to archives, after a time, instead of the current routine of shuffling everything around periodically and allowing stuff to get lost.

They are probably replacing servers and just copying everything from one to another instead of actually looking at the content and deciding if it should be moved to a more logical location.

"Iriaebor is a fine city. So what if you can have violence between merchant groups break out at any moment. Not every city can offer dinner AND a show."

My FR writeups - http://www.mediafire.com/folder/um3liz6tqsf5n/Documents
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2021 :  16:39:50  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TheIriaeban

quote:

They are probably replacing servers and just copying everything from one to another instead of actually looking at the content and deciding if it should be moved to a more logical location.

Whatever they're doing, stuff is getting moved so that old links no longer work -- which suggests it's more than just copying data from one server to another.

They posted a file containing the full Roll of Years to the site back in 2000. There hasn't been a link to that file anywhere on their site since at least 2004, when I started looking for some other files from the same timeframe.

But the file is still there, if you know the direct URL.

Other stuff has gotten moved around multiple times, with URLs changing each time, but links not being updated. I've had to play "guess the URL" to find some of the older stuff.

That's why I'm quick to criticize their web team -- there is no rhyme or reason to how stuff gets shuffled around.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 12 Aug 2021 16:40:48
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2021 :  17:51:31  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I know that many of the links in my NPCs of the Realms page are no longer available at all. Unfortunately, not even the Wayback machine can help with some of the pages.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Lord Karsus
Great Reader

USA
3738 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2021 :  15:18:52  Show Profile Send Lord Karsus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-WotC doesn't do this kind of stuff anymore, right? Random articles about whatever. Navigating their website (trying to better describes it), I'm really just seeing links to their products but that's basically it.

(A Tri-Partite Arcanist Who Has Forgotten More Than Most Will Ever Know)

Elves of Faerūn
Vol I- The Elves of Faerūn
Vol. III- Spells of the Elves
Vol. VI- Mechanical Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2021 :  16:23:35  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Karsus

-WotC doesn't do this kind of stuff anymore, right? Random articles about whatever. Navigating their website (trying to better describes it), I'm really just seeing links to their products but that's basically it.

No, the days of free lore are long since past. And it's a shame, because there was some really awesome stuff they posted, back in the day, like the Mintiper's Chapbook series.

Some utter crap, too, like the Zhent Headless Horseman, but the good stuff outweighed the bad.

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11704 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2021 :  16:37:28  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree with TheIriaben... its probably something where they are having servers upgraded in some form or because of some other IT related function. Maybe they're forgetting to copy files. Maybe they're renaming/re-ip'ing servers. Maybe some server ran out of space and the admin needed to clear space quick and they go and delete the oldest files. I'd actually be intrigued to see what kind of support they have for IT (I mean, is it even specific to WotC, or do they just have an outsourced provider provided by Hasbro themselves), and more importantly, how long they can keep people. I'm betting they don't pay a lot if I had to guess, and a lot of turnover, but I've been wrong before.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

TheIriaeban
Master of Realmslore

USA
1289 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2021 :  17:07:04  Show Profile Send TheIriaeban a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

I agree with TheIriaben... its probably something where they are having servers upgraded in some form or because of some other IT related function. Maybe they're forgetting to copy files. Maybe they're renaming/re-ip'ing servers. Maybe some server ran out of space and the admin needed to clear space quick and they go and delete the oldest files. I'd actually be intrigued to see what kind of support they have for IT (I mean, is it even specific to WotC, or do they just have an outsourced provider provided by Hasbro themselves), and more importantly, how long they can keep people. I'm betting they don't pay a lot if I had to guess, and a lot of turnover, but I've been wrong before.

If you are really curious about the inner workings, might I suggest you check out WOTC on glassdoor.com? There are some interesting reviews of the company by its employees. Some of them are rather amusing. Looks like the average rating is 3.8 out of 5.

"Iriaebor is a fine city. So what if you can have violence between merchant groups break out at any moment. Not every city can offer dinner AND a show."

My FR writeups - http://www.mediafire.com/folder/um3liz6tqsf5n/Documents
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2021 :  18:52:12  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Moving files to a different server shouldn't matter so long as you either give the server the same name, tweak the DNS entries to aim to the same device, or do whatever voodoo is required to configure DFS shares. I don't know DFS, but I know the first two things are pretty trivial.

Given that they have -- repeatedly! -- moved files to different URLs in the past, even changed URL schemes, I'm sticking with that assumption: they're changing URLs for existing resources and not updating any records, anywhere. These changes have been part of site reorganizations in the past; WotC's site has changed a lot, over the years.

As I mentioned earlier, there are still files on their site from 2000ish. And their own web folks couldn't help me find those files in 2004ish. This also backs up the theory that they're simply shuffling stuff around and forgetting about it. There is obviously no effort to maintain any kind of site records or continuity... not that the latter surprises me!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 13 Aug 2021 18:53:57
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11704 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2021 :  22:12:07  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Moving files to a different server shouldn't matter so long as you either give the server the same name, tweak the DNS entries to aim to the same device, or do whatever voodoo is required to configure DFS shares. I don't know DFS, but I know the first two things are pretty trivial.

Given that they have -- repeatedly! -- moved files to different URLs in the past, even changed URL schemes, I'm sticking with that assumption: they're changing URLs for existing resources and not updating any records, anywhere. These changes have been part of site reorganizations in the past; WotC's site has changed a lot, over the years.

As I mentioned earlier, there are still files on their site from 2000ish. And their own web folks couldn't help me find those files in 2004ish. This also backs up the theory that they're simply shuffling stuff around and forgetting about it. There is obviously no effort to maintain any kind of site records or continuity... not that the latter surprises me!

And if they move to a new provider for their services who won't offer the same IP space, or they have the same external IP space and DNS entry, but some newbie IT person wrote his pointers using the IP's (which wasn't uncommon back in the early 2000's still). People might not realize how the web pages were setup by a previous admin. I can come up with 90 ways that this could happen through easy accident because admins change out, because I've seen it happen way too often. Just like the idea that someone may need to clean up space and accidentally delete the files (because when they're under the gun, I've seen many an admin assume that any files more than ten year are ok to delete.... or they are just looking at thousands of files and miss the one). Some of it may be intentional, but I'd bet half or more is just a function of change.

As to people knowing where files are kept.... I've worked for large banks & credit card companies, large government groups, and various other large private corporations, and I can tell you right now trying to figure out the moving file structure of large groups of people is sometimes worse than herding cats.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas

Edited by - sleyvas on 14 Aug 2021 22:16:41
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2021 :  23:14:40  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

As to people knowing where files are kept.... I've worked for large banks & credit card companies, large government groups, and various other large private corporations, and I can tell you right now trying to figure out the moving file structure of large groups of people is sometimes worse than herding cats.

There's a difference betwixt personal shares, group shares, and outward-facing web content, though. If you have a public website and you're not keeping track of what's located where, there's an issue.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000