Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Welcome to Candlekeep
 Well Met, and Welcome to the Forums
 Hello All.
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

nblanton
Seeker

USA
68 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2014 :  02:05:54  Show Profile Send nblanton a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Been out of the PnP since 1998 and the Realms since BG2. First post and hopefully not the last.

Just started up a new 3rd Ed campaign with the two little brothers (both now in there late 20s) of my old gaming buddies from high school and my wife who has never gamed before. I've had all the 3rd Ed books, but didn't get time to play after I joined the navy in 1999. I've still got all the 2nd Ed material and a little first as well (grey box and odds and ends) Its going to be fun, but learning the new system is keeping me on my toes. I sorta miss the 2nd Ed rules, but I really like the skills and classes for the 3rd. Any advice as I go forward will be great! I plan on asking for some ideas on how to flesh out my campaign as well, but I've got my basic arc already so it shouldn't take to much.

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2014 :  05:12:55  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Welcome to Candlekeep!

Feel free to ask any questions you may have... A lot of us have been Realms fans for years, and we know a thing or three about the setting. Plus, we've got some of the authors and creators here!

As for the rest of us, we are friendly, mostly harmless, and occasionally strange... Enjoy your stay!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Delwa
Master of Realmslore

USA
1268 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2014 :  05:18:56  Show Profile  Visit Delwa's Homepage Send Delwa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well Met! Glad to have you here, and I hope you enjoy your stay! If I may be so bold as to make a suggestion, you might want to take a peek at the 5th Edition free PDF from Wizards of the Coast. If you want a good blend of 2E, but the skills from third, it might suit your wishes.
In any case, enjoy the game, and if you have any questions, ask around!

- Delwa Aunglor
I am off to slay yon refrigerator and spoil it's horde. Go for the cheese, Boo!

"The Realms change; seldom at the speed desired of those who strive, but far too quickly for those who resist." - The Simbul, taken from the Forgotten Realms Campaign Conspectus
Go to Top of Page

hammer of Moradin
Senior Scribe

USA
758 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2014 :  15:12:14  Show Profile  Visit hammer of Moradin's Homepage Send hammer of Moradin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Welcome nblanton!

"Hurling himself upon his enemies, he terrified them with slaughter!"

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Candlekeep proverb: If a thing is said often enough, fools aplenty will believe it to be true.
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 08 Aug 2014 :  23:31:45  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hail and well met!

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 09 Aug 2014 :  07:54:09  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met, and welcome.

Like Wooly says: please ask questions. We like to help where we can.

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).
Go to Top of Page

nblanton
Seeker

USA
68 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2014 :  17:29:44  Show Profile Send nblanton a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Delwa

Well Met! Glad to have you here, and I hope you enjoy your stay! If I may be so bold as to make a suggestion, you might want to take a peek at the 5th Edition free PDF from Wizards of the Coast. If you want a good blend of 2E, but the skills from third, it might suit your wishes.
In any case, enjoy the game, and if you have any questions, ask around!

I got so turned off by the 4E, that I stopped buying anything from WoTC D&D related. I've purchased a few M:TG items, but that is about it. I looked through the pdf on the WoTC website, but it really didn't seem that much different to me to justify the price. Which I found to be a little outrageous. $50 for each of the core books? They got to be out of their minds. I have a feeling that this will be the harbinger of the end of true D&D and those of us who are still playing will be using older references, 3rd party, or homebrew. It really feels like a sad day when you look at it.

When I started playing in 1990, the three core books were the cost of a good Nintendo cartridge. Around $20 a piece. Today, each book is the cost of a good PS4 or XBone (or several PC games off Steam) at $50 a piece.
Go to Top of Page

Drustan Dwnhaedan
Learned Scribe

USA
324 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2014 :  02:16:11  Show Profile Send Drustan Dwnhaedan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met, and welcome to Candlekeep, nblanton!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000