Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Forgotten Realms: Alternate Dimensions
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 9

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2014 :  09:10:40  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Issues 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6 of the Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Webzine are now available.

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 1

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 2

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 3

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 4

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 5

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 6

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 7

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 8

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Issue 9

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions Candlekeep Archive

And for those who use Tumblr, Twitter, or Facebook I have created a blog and associated pages (although it is the first time I have ever done a blog before.)

Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Tumblr Page
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Twitter Page
Forgotten Realms Alternate Dimensions: Facebook Page

Proof readers are also welcome and any volunteers get a sneak peak at draft issues before i release them.

Hopefully i will be getting some artwork soon and so i can update all past Issues to include it as well as any future issues.

If anyone has any articles they want included then by all means PM me with your email address and we can talk.

Alternate Realms Site

Edited by - Gary Dallison on 18 Jan 2020 08:53:48

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2014 :  17:47:05  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sounds great!

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2014 :  22:44:36  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Where do we subscribe?

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Kris the Grey
Senior Scribe

USA
422 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2014 :  02:48:32  Show Profile Send Kris the Grey a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Dazzlerdal,

I did, along with a chum, produce a distinctly fan fiction non-canon tale that I recently began posting around these parts. If you were looking for Realms related fiction a serialization might be fun?

Thoughts?

Kris the Grey - Member in Good Standing of the Watchful Order of Magists and Protectors, the Arcane Guild of Silverymoon, and the Connecticut Bar Association
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2014 :  07:49:38  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Serializations are welcome as are articles on an alternate vision of the realms. If you have anything you want in the mag then pm me and we will see what we can do.

As fot subscribing I was going to put it on google drive and post the link on these boards for anyone to read. But if anyone wants to volunteer to proofread it then you get an advanced sneak peak.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2014 :  10:35:43  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think this is an awesome idea! I can't wait to see it!

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2014 :  10:59:07  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well I hope it is good enough. I think I will work through the bloodstone lands first and then try my hand at a rage of dragons adventure path/campaign arc but thats all for future issues.
Issue 1 I hope to have done by May 1st unless I get offers of artwork etc or im inundated with submissions.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2014 :  13:28:44  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've proofread part of it already and I can say so far it's a good read. I'm the Learokond piece now.

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page

ksu_bond
Learned Scribe

New Zealand
214 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2014 :  04:59:14  Show Profile Send ksu_bond a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Love the idea...I'll see if I can't bring some of my back burner projects to the front and send them your way...
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2014 :  08:41:50  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well let me know when ur ready and we'll sort out getting them included

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2014 :  09:41:21  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well i'm nearly ready to release this into the wide world. Just waiting on a bit more proof reading and to see if anyone else is interested in contributing.

As a taster i could post a bit of one of the articles here, so which one would you prefer (if any): Iyrauroth, Laerakond, Rulesword, Vaasa, or the Knights Below.

Or you could just wait until May 1st and read the whole thing.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Aytros
Acolyte

USA
35 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2014 :  19:36:21  Show Profile Send Aytros a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This sounds awesome and I would love to contribute. As for publishing...Have you tried making a Kickstarter project?
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2014 :  20:35:39  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Aytros

This sounds awesome and I would love to contribute. As for publishing...Have you tried making a Kickstarter project?

If it was me, I'd be hesitant about collecting money via kickstarter since that could lead to serious legal trouble. Releasing a fan item that doesn't make money is different than releasing a fan item that makes money on property that Wizard's owns.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2014 :  21:10:31  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

quote:
Originally posted by Aytros

If it was me, I'd be hesitant about collecting money via kickstarter since that could lead to serious legal trouble. Releasing a fan item that doesn't make money is different than releasing a fan item that makes money on property that Wizard's owns.

Indeed... WotC shut down someone, a few years back, because he asked for money for storing people's character sheets. He wasn't trying to make a profit, and they'd had no problem with his character sheet site before he asked for money -- but once he asked for money, the lawyers came out.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2014 :  21:58:41  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well I definitely have no intention of asking for or making any money from it. Plus I couldn't figure out kickstarter even if I wanted to, and I might run out of ideas after issue 10 (although I'm pretty sure I wont)

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2014 :  09:27:43  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Issue 2 is now finished and available.

Here is the link and i'm going to change the first post so it includes all links as well.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bx2yr4B9kIXPY0dNTW5PdXY0akU/edit?usp=sharing

And thanks to Ryan Rahuba for being the first contributor to the magazine. His alternate take on lycanthropy is intriguing and has a nice twist to it.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2014 :  09:40:32  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The contents for issue 3 are as follows but there may be more coming.

Deities With a Difference: Tiamat
Alternate Dimensions Focus On: Damara – Higenzi the Witch
When is a House Rule Not a House Rule: Skills
Deities With a Difference: Bahamut
The Bloodstone Lands Adventure Path: Episode 2
Alternate Dimensions Focus On: Damara – Order of Fallen Princes
Laerakond: The Barrier Mountains
Rulesword: Trimming 3rd Edition One Step at a Time
Alternate Dimensions Focus On: Damara – The Bloodfeathers Lineage
The Knights Below: Adventure Path – Episode 3
The Knights Below: Campaign Journal

Issue 4 will move from the Bloodstone Lands to the Old Empires.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Baltas
Senior Scribe

Poland
955 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2014 :  18:21:39  Show Profile Send Baltas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm, very interesting to see that you'll be doing the Old Empires from issue, as it seems you have a lot of interesting stuff there. Also, it is interesting that you connected orcs to the Fey, as it's something that I've also done, and was largely inspired to do this by Marcustay's work. Although I connected their pantheon to Elder Fomorians, rather than Primordials.
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2014 :  19:25:49  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well I have to admit the idea did come from Markustay. When an idea is good why ignore it.

It is loosely backed up by the lore. The fey brought the elves to combat the dragons. We know the orcs came earlier to Faerun so who is to say the fey did not also bring the orcs to Faerun to combat the dragons but the orcs were unsuccessful.

I don't delve into anything before it arrived on Toril, nor do I bother with it once it leaves Toril. However I linked the orcs to the primordials because almost all cultures have a mythology where a god creates a race in his own image. Gruumsh is depicted as an orc in the same way as Corellon is depicted as an elf so it makes sense to me to have those beings create the orcs and elves to look like themselves (Annam did a similar thing with giants and it looks like Astoroth did the same thing with dragons).

Of course I also linked the orcs to Abeir and indeed plonked the primordial orcs there so they could arrive and fight with the mulan gods. I noted that there is no mention of an orc god prior to Uruth Ukrypt in the established lore so it didn't seem to much of a stretch of canon to imagine the orc gods were not around until the orcgate wars, its not as if the orc gods really do much for the orcs anyway (in fact the first mention of orcs in GHoTR has them in service to an outer planar fiend).

Anyways, I hope you enjoy the read, you are the first person I know for certain who has read the mag so thanks, and any feedback is always welcome.

Spread across Issues 1, 2, and 3 to do with Damara and Vaasa is a bit of a puzzle/secret so whoever figures it out first will get a mention in the next issue.

And hopefully the old empires stuff will be interesting (and hopefully make more sense than existing lore). As always its going to be a little bit different but familiar enough that you could use all existing lore with it.

I decided to start on the old empires because while working on Tiamat and Bahamut for Damara I also ended up correcting a bit of Old Empires lore and it inspired me to work on the past, current, and future of Mulhorand and Unther (and my made up third empire).

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2014 :  20:11:31  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I love it, especially the Rulesword sections and the alternate Abeir.

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2014 :  20:58:01  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well thanks for the feedback, I'm glad you enjoyed those bits. There will be many more Rulesword articles and I intend to develop the alternate abeir a bit at a time to hopefully give an alternative to Maztica (which never really did it for me - it was too separated from Faerun and its history).

Busy working on my old empires history at the moment. I'm up to Tchazzar in Chessenta at the moment and trying to develop his rivalry with Alasklerbanbastos as well as a random clue to his origin and explaining the church of Bane's presence in Chessenta and developing a few other random lore mentions in the sourcebooks that never got a second glance (the beast cults, the Narfell armada).

Hopefully I should have another contributor to the magazine by issue 3 so if anyone else wants to get involved then let me know.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2014 :  15:54:31  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In your research of the bloodstone lands, I'd recommend an in-depth story on "The changing of the Lords of Imphras II: How Rilaunyr became a woman".

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2014 :  16:28:57  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

In your research of the bloodstone lands, I'd recommend an in-depth story on "The changing of the Lords of Imphras II: How Rilaunyr became a woman".

I realized I should become more clear. The below should make it more clear. Partly, I wonder if in addition to a sex change, did Rilaunyr undergo a worship change as well to Sune (i.e. its unstated whom he worshipped prior to Sune... Was it Helm? Tyr? Torm? Ilmater? The Red Knight? Siamorphe? Mystra? Hoar? a rare (rule-breaking)paladin of Valkur (known locally as Poseidon) whose religious leanings were tested?).:

From FR9 - Bloodstone Lands - section on Rilaunyr's Warship

In the heyday of the Impilturian port city, the ship protected merchant vessels putting into or out of Sarshel. Then the shipments of bloodstone bars stopped flowing down from Damara, and Sarshel#146;s importance waned. The Lord Rilaunyr could see how the winds were blowing, and brought his pride into dry-dock for refurbishing.

Rilaunyr longs to get back to sea. He hopes that the flow of bloodstone will soon resume, and restore his city to its former prominence. When trade is restored, Impiltur#146;'s crossed wand and sword banner will once again fly proudly above the deck of this formidable vessel, to the dismay of pirates hungry for merchant prey.
<snip>
The real power of Rilaunyr'#146;s Warship lies in magic. When fully manned, she carries six magic-users, levels 7-13, and a complement of twelve clerics of Poseidon, one of whom is a 15th level high priest.
<snip>
The clerics provide supplies and heal the crew when they are ill or wounded. Daily, they commune with their deity to keep Lord Rilaunyr informed of the fickle attitude of the god of waters, and of his domain.

From the Dragon #346 Article on Impiltur

The two female Lords, Rilaunyr (LG female Damaran human paladin 13 of Sune) and Idriane (LG female Damaran human paladin 7 of Ilmater/Triadic knight 4) usually act in concert and consider themselves something of a moderating influence on the extremes of some of the other members of council. They urge consensus and cooperation in all matters pertaining to the safety and welfare of Impiltur.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2014 :  21:40:21  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well I'm not really trying to solve all the continuity errors in the realms.
I will admit i do enjoy trying to solve some of the major snafus in realms lore and in so doing come up with a working alternative to what exists without invalidating everything written (unlike some organisations).
I dont know if I will touch the well developed areas that much. Impiltur is very well done and so I dont see much that can be added other than continuing the timeline and soneillions plans

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6641 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2014 :  06:03:32  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm, if I didn't know better, I'd say I'm being put forth as a changer of FR canon. I was just following the herd. See "Unapproachable East", p.191.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2014 :  08:00:42  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
We shall have to get Alaundo to change your title to Changer of Canon.

If it were me I would have the male Rilaunyr affected by a incurable wasting disease courtesy of soneillion. The female Rilaunyr is impersonating him to keep the illusion of normality to the rest of the populace during the transition of power.

In all seriousness though George you should try changing canon. Now that the 1370s timeline is dead we can do what we want with it and I would love your input on a campaign arc for soneillions invasion of Impiltur

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 02 Jun 2014 :  12:36:39  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Issue 4 is really taking shape now. Here are the preliminary contents (i.e. i have already written these pieces)

Alternate Dimensions Presents: The Mulhorandi-Untheric Pantheon
Deities With A Difference: Gilgeam
Alternate Dimensions Presents: The Old Empires
Alternate Dimensions Presents: Old Empires – An Alternate Timeline
Deities With a Difference: Tchazzar
Rulesword: Trimming 3rd Edition One Step at a Time

As you may be able to see from the above i have merged the Mulhorandi and Untheric pantheons (although in my alternate realms there were 3 pantheons in the beginning), Gilgeam is and isnt dead, and Tchazzar is still a god and hopefully i have sound reasons for each occurence.

If anyone still loves the Old Empires and is interested in getting involved with developing Thay and Mulhorand i would love a few extra brains to bounce ideas off of (Chessenta and Unther i found easy thanks to a few stray sentences that i took to the extreme, but Mulhorand while being the most detailed of the three is also the most sparse for interesting clues).

Issue 5 will have a dragons of the south article for Alasklerbanbastos which will present the other half of Tchazzar's story (which goes back a lot further than 902 DR since they were both Great Wyrms by that time).

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2014 :  12:06:13  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just thought i would post a little teaser of my alternate version of Tiamat that will appear in issue III. The following details are of one of the sacred relics of Tiamat (although which Tiamat is the important question in my alternate version of things).

The Rings of Tiamat: Each of these three rings was forged from a scale of the Dark Lady’s dragon form long ago, these rings were most recently given to the dragons Tchazzar, Gestaniius, and Skuthosin as part of some pact between each dragon and Tiamat; the Dark Lady, long before the Time of Troubles began,
When originally created these rings enhanced the abilities of the wearer making them stronger, faster, and more intelligent with greater spell like and spellcasting abilities than they would otherwise have access to. At the same time the wearer of the ring acted as a vessel for a portion of the Dark Lady’s divinity so that should she ever be slain then the vessels would be compelled to seek out and slay one another until only one remained who would then be reborn as the Dark Lady. Once put on the ring could never be removed except in death.
Using these relics the Dark Lady escaped death at least twice. Once during a battle with Marduk during the Orcgate Wars and again during the first battle with Gilgeam during the Time of Troubles. Her essence split between each vessel and she was reborn from the body of the victor as he consumed the other two vessels.
The unpredictability of magic during the Time of Troubles twisted the function of the ring worn by Tchazzar and this ring now holds the essence of Tchazzar instead of Tiamat. This means there are only 2 Rings of Tiamat remaining.
With the Dark Lady’s death, Tiamat the Dragon Queen claimed these remaining relics for herself and altered their powers to suit her. Now these rings, as well as enhancing abilities, slowly twist the wearer making them more evil and draconic in nature and form the longer they are worn. If the wearer is already a dragon then it merely twists them to evil and increased veneration of her, if the wearer is humanoid then they slowly transform into a half dragon. The rings can only be removed with a greater remove curse spell.
Unfortunately when she sent a servant to reclaim the ring worn by Tchazzar, the servant foolishly put it on and was twisted into Tchazzar himself. As such the ring has eluded her, although Tiamat does not know how or why.
Tiamat sends these rings into the lairs of dragons hoping that unsuspecting humans (or the dragon that dwells in the lair) don the rings and become devoted to her worship.
The rings still contain the divine spark they once did although it no longer has any function, but could be used to effect a return of the Dark Lady if someone had the power and the will to do so.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2014 :  21:28:37  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For those who use Tumblr (which up until yesterday did not include me). I have also created a blog.

Blog: http://faerunalternatedimensions.tumblr.com/

Feel free to check it out for update (although I will also post them here), and it looks like it has a chat function so if anyone has any questions or is interested in the canon facts that inspired the alternate versions (there is always a stray quote that gives a different take on events) then by all means pop over and have a look.

Although like I said its my first time using blogs so please be nice

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2014 :  10:58:53  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Had a few brainwaves while Candlekeep was down so i have a few realmsy articles for Issue 5. Of course Issue 3 is the next one due to be released so it will be a bit of a wait for issue 5.

Dragons of the South: Alasklerbanbastos “The Great Bone Wyrm”
Alternate Dimensions Presents: Old Empires – A History of Thay
Alternate Dimensions Presents: Old Empires – A Modern Timeline
Deities With a Difference: Set
Laerakond: The Hundar Isles

A few stray passages in Dreams of the Red Wizards led me to the conclusion that Set was originally given control of the Mulhorandi province of Priador to rule over (probably to keep him out the way). I then concluded that he was not always so evil and outcast and that must have happened in the aftermath of the orcgate wars when he tried to take over (which i have rewritten a bit).

Well another stray passage led to the conclusion that it was Set who opened the Orcgate. I have him consume/merge with a number of divine/quasi divine beings to gain the portfolio he currently has (and his scaled skin) and along the way i explained why some of the Mulhorandi gods have animal heads (they are helmets of course but there is a good reason why - Felidae should give those in the know a clue).

I also connected the Orcgate Wars and the Orcgates Affair. it was actually a lot of fun tying up some random comments and coming up with reasons as to why the Mulhorandi resemble what they do now. I think it makes them more realmsian while at the same time not removing their obviously egyptian origins.

And how many times has Thay changed hands over the years? It was Mulhorandi first, then the orcs had it for 5 years, then Narfell, then Raumathar, then Mulhorand again, then finally it was Thay.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page

Gary Dallison
Great Reader

United Kingdom
6350 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2014 :  15:06:12  Show Profile Send Gary Dallison a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just thought i would post a bit of detail from my alternative writeup of Bahamut. One of the things i did was to tie the King of Justice title to the church of Bahamut as it made little sense to me for all matallic dragons to suddenly start cooperating and obeying the edicts of a supposed king. If such a king had existed before why had they not united in the past to destroy other threats. It seemed more likely to me that this king of justice was a religious title only that bore no authority over other dragons unless they were members of the church of bahamut.

Anyway thats just my take on it.

The Church of Bahamut

The church of Bahamut is a loose organisation that is spread out across Faerūn. The church maintains no temples (except the Palace of the North Wind), and very little in the way of hierarchy or structure.

The High Priest of the church of Bahamut is known by his title “The King of Justice” who lives in “The North Wind” and takes orders only from Bahamut but is largely autonomous (Bahamut only intervenes in times of great peril so is used primarily as a source of knowledge and wisdom).

The King of Justice gives his orders to his vassal lords (usually metallic dragons of great age and ability) that oversee large areas within the boundaries of Faerūn and who organise their own groups of lower ranking priests and agents to carry out the orders given to them. These areas usually coincide with the territory claimed by the dragon lord (although this is not true for humans that rise to this level within the church).

When not following orders the priests of Bahamut roam the lands of Faerūn (within the broad sphere of influence of their superior, which could include the entire Western Heartlands for instance) aiding the weak, recruiting new followers to Bahamut’s glory, and keeping an eye out for Tiamat and her agents.

Communication between priests and the church lords varies according to the individuals, but these lords are usually ancient dragons with incredible spellcasting ability and the powers of flight and shape-shifting as well, so incognito communication is unlikely to be a significant barrier.

The church of Bahamut is not particularly large (numbering only a few hundred members in all of Faerūn. It is split equally between dragons and humanoids (although dragons includes half dragons and dragonborn), but the dragons in Bahamut’s church hold the majority of powerful positions (only 1 lord is known to be a humanoid).

During the Rage of Dragons many metallic dragons sought aid from the Church of Bahamut to protect them from the unusual, untimely and seemingly unending dracorage. Those that did seek aid were given protection while they entered a magically induced slumber. Those that did not seek aid from the church had to find their own means to cope with the dracorage.

Given the ancient war between Tiamat and Bahamut that was a major contribution to the dwindling number of dragons in Faerūn, it is surprising that so many metallic dragons turned to Bahamut’s church for aid. In gratitude for the promise the church kept to these dragons, many of them have begun worshipping the Platinum Dragon once more.

Alternate Realms Site
Go to Top of Page