Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Richard Baker
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 20

Paec_djinn
Learned Scribe

173 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2005 :  05:36:57  Show Profile  Visit Paec_djinn's Homepage Send Paec_djinn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Beirnadri Magranth

anything i say might be a spoiler but youd be spoiled anyway to read such a great book

Just a request that you mark the spoilers more clearly. I for example, haven't read Farthest Reach yet but I frequent this thread just in case Mr. Baker answers a question to other novels I've read. But it would please me if you still mark spoilers. Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2005 :  06:26:06  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by CrennenFaerieBane

Yeah, the only thing to consider is that Lolth isn't too keen to let her souls go back to the Realms...

C-Fb

Not only that, but the death of a Matron means someone else gets promoted. What drow would willingly bring back someone of higher rank than them? Or a potential rival?

Yeah, I can see it happening, but it would have to be something seriously extreme -- such as, your entire House is about to be annihilated, and only this one dead drow can successfully win the upcoming battle.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 02 Oct 2005 06:32:05
Go to Top of Page

Baalster
Acolyte

19 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2005 :  09:16:27  Show Profile  Visit Baalster's Homepage Send Baalster a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Richard,

*looks up on a vast collection of books, makes room on the prominent shelf and put up two tomes, just recently read, titled "Forsaken House" and "Farthest Reach"*

It's not often I'm lost for words reading a book, but having read "Forsaken House" all I could do while waiting for the next book to be available here in Norway, was to read it again. This time with my notebook handy. Seldom have I gotten so much out of a Realms novel. Your detailed writing style is a blessing for us devourers of Realmslore. Touching on topics that obviously seem to interest alot of scribes is also a bonus. It is a shame that we will wait for the conclusion ... but it will give us time to read the two first books again. :)

My thanks for researching and writing the book. Kudos for the details, for the character gallery, the history and the great storyline.

A question regarding mythals. My corner of the Realms is Whitehorn, just south of the White Peaks. Home of Myth Ondath, the mythal that was destroyed by the Ice Queen using the Gatekeeper Crystal (Volo's guide to all things magical). The question is : what would remain of the mythal after it is destroyed ? Would it be possible to revitalize it using high-magic ? Preciously little is known about Myth Ondath except a brief mention in the elven timeline in Cormanthyr - Empire of the Elves. Another "black hole" is Rystall Wood, which I understand is an outside group that chose to distant themselves. Any information would be highly appreciated.

Baalster
DM of Whitehorn
A server in ALFA (A Land Far Away persistent world)
http://www.alandfaraway.org

The North is indeed as they say in the Vilhon Reach - a land of "hard, brutal men in leather and furs who swing overhasty swords."
Go to Top of Page

Brom Greenstar
Acolyte

Argentina
25 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2005 :  12:21:53  Show Profile  Visit Brom Greenstar's Homepage Send Brom Greenstar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
just wanted to say happy birthday! (late)
Go to Top of Page

Crennen FaerieBane
Master of Realmslore

USA
1378 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2005 :  23:20:32  Show Profile Send Crennen FaerieBane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Happy Birthday!! I just saw the post on the WotC board!

C-Fb

Still rockin' the Fey'ri style.
Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2005 :  13:03:22  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Happy birthday.

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

Paec_djinn
Learned Scribe

173 Posts

Posted - 04 Oct 2005 :  13:32:59  Show Profile  Visit Paec_djinn's Homepage Send Paec_djinn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmm.. pardon my ignorance (and the fact that I don't visit the Wizard's boards) but when is Mr Baker's birthday and how old is he again?

And to him: Happy Birthday!
Go to Top of Page

RichardBaker
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

129 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2005 :  20:47:29  Show Profile  Visit RichardBaker's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sorry that I haven't been frequenting the boards lately. I've been super-busy with a "crash" project at work, plus I've been scrambling to finish up the first draft of "Final Gate" at home. Oh, and Wizards of the Coast is moving offices at the end of this week--just across the street to another Renton office building, but still, one more thing to stay on top of.

I'm glad you liked the first two-thirds of Last Mythal; hope the last one doesn't disappoint!

Regarding Myth Ondath, there are two possibilities:

a) the Gatekeeper Crystal's "implode magic" function was used, in which case the place would have been largely flattened, sort of like Hellgate Keep. Doubtless many buried cellars, strongholds, vaults, and other subterranean or outlying features still survive.

b) the Crystal' "remove barriers/give me access" function was used, in which case the city might have survived reasonably intact, only to be pillaged and burned by a horde within days of the mythal's failure. More surface features would have survived.

As for what was in the city itself, heck, anything I say would be pure speculation. Beyond what little is said in the Cormanthyr timeline, I sort of favor the idea of a "wizard's city," a hidden city like some of the high, remote monastery/cities of Tibet. Mystical, remote, secretive, but not evil. However, I don't have Empire of the Elves close at hand, and I can't get at it because it's already packed up, so I have no idea if that would fit the little bit that was said in that book.

quote:
Originally posted by Baalster

Richard,

*looks up on a vast collection of books, makes room on the prominent shelf and put up two tomes, just recently read, titled "Forsaken House" and "Farthest Reach"*

It's not often I'm lost for words reading a book, but having read "Forsaken House" all I could do while waiting for the next book to be available here in Norway, was to read it again. This time with my notebook handy. Seldom have I gotten so much out of a Realms novel. Your detailed writing style is a blessing for us devourers of Realmslore. Touching on topics that obviously seem to interest alot of scribes is also a bonus. It is a shame that we will wait for the conclusion ... but it will give us time to read the two first books again. :)

My thanks for researching and writing the book. Kudos for the details, for the character gallery, the history and the great storyline.

A question regarding mythals. My corner of the Realms is Whitehorn, just south of the White Peaks. Home of Myth Ondath, the mythal that was destroyed by the Ice Queen using the Gatekeeper Crystal (Volo's guide to all things magical). The question is : what would remain of the mythal after it is destroyed ? Would it be possible to revitalize it using high-magic ? Preciously little is known about Myth Ondath except a brief mention in the elven timeline in Cormanthyr - Empire of the Elves. Another "black hole" is Rystall Wood, which I understand is an outside group that chose to distant themselves. Any information would be highly appreciated.

Baalster
DM of Whitehorn
A server in ALFA (A Land Far Away persistent world)
http://www.alandfaraway.org

Rich Baker
Wizards of the Coast, Inc.
Go to Top of Page

RichardBaker

129 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2005 :  20:55:20  Show Profile  Visit RichardBaker's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm a military buff, so I wanted to show the progress of the campaigns--and also show a little of what warfare in the D&D world probably looks like.

RE: Grayth, Filsaelene, Donnor, I simply wanted to keep the readers on their toes by not creating an "unchangeable" lineup of characters around Araevin. I thought it would be a little more, well, realistic if the supporting cast evolved over time. But now that I look back on it, I sure see how it came off a little different from what I intended. Guess I'll know better next time.

quote:
Originally posted by El Magnifico Uno

Just finished Forsaken House and Farthest Reach... That is some darn good writing there Mr Baker!!... Normally I have a fairly low opinion of the writing quality of FR books, but you sir, are damn good!!.. Great use of vocabulary! Characters with depth! Elves that seem, well, like elves! and not just humans with pointy ears!... Definitely hands down "the best Realms book to date" to paraphrase Mr. Greenwood...

Questions -
1) Were you required by your illustrious editors to use "X" number of battle scenes?... They seemed a bit tedious after awhile...
2) What was up with the "recycling cleric"? Every few chapters they get a new cleric... Reminds me of old PnP games where a player would change characters every session, but each one was just a new rendition of the last...

Rich Baker
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2006 :  04:44:14  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Rich

Any chance you could post the Power of Faerun contents page (either here or over at WOTC) Mat Smith didnt give us much in january and beyond.......

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Octa
Learned Scribe

USA
138 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2006 :  04:21:09  Show Profile  Visit Octa's Homepage Send Octa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Rich- How has the monster population of Myth Drannor changed since 1356 when Elminster revealed its secrets?

Controlled mainly by the Phaenrim from 1356 to 1372?

A net flow of treasure in, and with its hoards richer than ever since most adventurers who enter perish before they can run off with some elven loot?

What is the status of the church of Lathander in the Ruins. Am I remembering it right that they are killed off by the shades right, so their temple survives until 1372, or did the Fey-ri do them in?

The knights of the Shadow Sword are there and keeping a low profile to avoid being overrun by the Phaenrim I would assume.

So am I guessing right that the Shades putting the Phaenrim to the sword, would really open up the Ruins and that it is that event that has made Myth Drannor viable for the drow and Fey-ri?

Any musings you have on the subject would be greatly appreciated.
Go to Top of Page

Aulnil
Acolyte

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2006 :  15:37:00  Show Profile  Visit Aulnil's Homepage Send Aulnil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Rich, absolutely loving The Last Mythal series. The Farthest Reach is quite an endeavor. Thanks. I had just a few questions. Spoilers, sorry

The creatures invading Sildeyuir; are they described in more game-use detail anywhere as yet? And, by the writings in Cloak and Dagger, Mulmaster is essentially under Zhentarim control and Manshoon has returned to the organization in some regard. Is there any particular reason the forces of Mulmaster and Manshoon aren't involved in The Farthest Reach, or did you just feel it added to many elements to an already very thick tapestry? Appreciate any thoughts you might have.

Aulnil

Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2006 :  16:26:12  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Aulnil, the Nilshai are detailed on page 67-68 in Unapproachable East.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2006 :  17:26:17  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Octa

What is the status of the church of Lathander in the Ruins. Am I remembering it right that they are killed off by the shades right, so their temple survives until 1372, or did the Fey-ri do them in?

I, personally, was a bit confused by the mention of a temple to Lathander within the ruins of Myth Drannor. The novel seems to say that the temple was indeed inside the city, but I know of no such temple. The Dawnspire, the nearby temple of Lathander, was described as laying a distance outside the city, at least in the Ruins of Myth Drannor boxed set. The Sage Advice column in Dragon 208 offered the following suggestion for the locale:

quote:
Karen and I suggest placing the temple in the Westfields area, just south of the Burial Glen (see the Campaign Guide to Myth Drannor, page 15.)

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 18 Jan 2006 17:27:55
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2006 :  18:16:54  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

I, personally, was a bit confused by the mention of a temple to Lathander within the ruins of Myth Drannor. The novel seems to say that the temple was indeed inside the city, but I know of no such temple. The Dawnspire, the nearby temple of Lathander, was described as laying a distance outside the city, at least in the Ruins of Myth Drannor boxed set. The Sage Advice column in Dragon 208 offered the following suggestion for the locale:

quote:
Karen and I suggest placing the temple in the Westfields area, just south of the Burial Glen (see the Campaign Guide to Myth Drannor, page 15.)

And when we discussed it with Ed, in 2004?, he confirmed that it was indeed outside of the city. His reply is in my files. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Octa
Learned Scribe

USA
138 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2006 :  19:58:42  Show Profile  Visit Octa's Homepage Send Octa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I thought that right outside the city made sense, but the Ruins Boxed set never said where it was which was pretty vexing to me. Of course it can't be too far away though because it is certainly within the Mythal which I think only stretches out like 100 feet/yards or so from the edges of the city.

Kuje, are there many answers from Ed on Myth Drannor in your FAQs? Well I guess with modern technology it won't take long to search them.

Wooley- Which book was the part about the temple being destroyed in? Was it the Return of the Archwizards or the Farthest Reach.

The Shades clearing out the Phaenrim was the one thing that no set of adventurers would ever be able to do, and opens up the opportunity for anyone to take the place over. I'm guessing that as soon as the Shades leave there is a huge influx of adventurers the size of the influx right after the retreat from Cormanthyr.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2006 :  20:10:42  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Kuje, are there many answers from Ed on Myth Drannor in your FAQs? Well I guess with modern technology it won't take long to search them.

At least a hundred. :) Use the table of contents for each year as a starting point. :)

And the temple being destroyed is mentioned in book 2 of the Last Mythal trilogy.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Edited by - Kuje on 18 Jan 2006 20:12:07
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2006 :  23:08:50  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

And when we discussed it with Ed, in 2004?, he confirmed that it was indeed outside of the city. His reply is in my files. :)

Have you a specific reference for that? I just searched, and couldn't find it...

Go to Top of Page

Octa
Learned Scribe

USA
138 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2006 :  23:09:38  Show Profile  Visit Octa's Homepage Send Octa a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey how far out does the Mythal stretch, just past burial glade right.

How about putting the Temple on that Island in the middle of the pond/lake on the southern side of the city??
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2006 :  23:21:39  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Have you a specific reference for that? I just searched, and couldn't find it...

It was a passing reference from Ed on March 25th, 2004. Sec, I'll find what I said, since Ed agreed with me. :)

"Wooly and I went over this a few weeks back. :) This is what we figured out.

Also according to Candlekeep's Errata entry it says this:

11. Ruins of Myth Drannor

courtesy Sascha Kriewel < sascha.kriewel@home.ins.de >

The temple of Lathander wasn't marked on the maps, nor does the book give a clear location. Semi-official suggestion from 'The Sage': place the temple in the Westfields area, just south of the Burial Glen.

The Sage said in Dragon #208 in the Sage Advice column:

Where within Myth Drannor is The Dawnspire (the temple of Lathander)? I've looked through the book twice and I can't find a clue. I know the site is supposed to cover about five acres, but there's no scale on the map. Is that an oversight?

TSR's Karen Boomgarden and I also spent a great deal of time poring over the book and the Myth Drannor maps trying to find the answer to this one. (The floor in Karen's cubical is just about large enough to accommodate all the maps at once. An onlooker would have had a grand time watching the two of us trying to study the maps without soiling or tearing them with our shoes.) Karen and I suggest placing the temple in the Westfields area, just south of the Burial Glen (see the Campaign Guide to Myth Drannor, page 15.)

There isn't supposed to be a scale printed on the maps. Myth Drannor's Mythal, see the Campaign Guide to Myth Drannor pages 22-31) and the corrupting influences of all the gates and wild magic make all distances within the ruins distorted and variable."

Ed said on March 25, 2004, "Damian, Kuje has got it right re. Dawnspire."

Edited by - Kuje on 19 Jan 2006 23:27:01
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2006 :  03:53:10  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Ah... I found Ed's reply, but the lack of a question with it made it difficult to know what it was referring to.

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2006 :  04:56:35  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Ah... I found Ed's reply, but the lack of a question with it made it difficult to know what it was referring to.

This is why I use my table of contents. :)

Go to Top of Page

Beirnadri Magranth
Senior Scribe

USA
720 Posts

Posted - 01 Feb 2006 :  19:11:07  Show Profile  Visit Beirnadri Magranth's Homepage Send Beirnadri Magranth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
SPOILERS for farthest reach/last mythal series
=
=
=
=
=
=
=
=
=
=
=
=
near the end of the Farthest Reach Aeravin defeats Saelethil's spirit which lingered in the High Mage's selukirra (sp?). He then gains access to the epic magic stored within. He learns alot of the selukiira's lore by reading golden scrolls. Could these scrolls he read be scrolls of the golden skins of the world serpent?

I figured since the GSotWS were created by the Ba'etith a bajillion years ago in the Hall of Mists and the next tale of their surfacing was when they were discovered by finder in the cellars of the Citadel of the Mists, that the elves of the high forest had found the skins...
I think Saelethil read the scrolls while he was active with house dlardrageth (seeing as they were alter found within their secret armories). Saelethil, i suppose, then stored the valuable knowledge in his selukiira which was gleaned by Aeravin after he defeated the Dalrdrageth high mage.

please
tell me if im completely off or if this is reasonable speculation.
THNX

"You came here to be a martyr in a great big bang of glory... instead you will die with a whimper."
::moussaoui tries to interrupt::
"You will never get a chance to speak again and that's an appropriate ending."

-Judge Brinkema
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 07 Feb 2006 :  01:08:35  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I rather doubt it. I think it was just imagery created by Saelethil. Remember, the kiira was essentially a part of him, so everything is a metaphor, and the world's iconography was entirely his to create. And he was a gold elf, so it would make sense for him to color the "scrolls" that held (to him) the height of gold elven magic at color.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

RichardBaker

129 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2006 :  17:32:22  Show Profile  Visit RichardBaker's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I viewed it as a metaphor -- not the Nether Scrolls, not the scales of the World Serpent. Sort of like the desktop icon you choose to represent files on your PC.

quote:
Originally posted by Hoondatha

I rather doubt it. I think it was just imagery created by Saelethil. Remember, the kiira was essentially a part of him, so everything is a metaphor, and the world's iconography was entirely his to create. And he was a gold elf, so it would make sense for him to color the "scrolls" that held (to him) the height of gold elven magic at color.

Rich Baker
Go to Top of Page

Beirnadri Magranth
Senior Scribe

USA
720 Posts

Posted - 16 Feb 2006 :  18:21:53  Show Profile  Visit Beirnadri Magranth's Homepage Send Beirnadri Magranth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
ok.. :/ i really liked that character btw!
goodjob with Saelethil
he was perfectly condescending and evil

"You came here to be a martyr in a great big bang of glory... instead you will die with a whimper."
::moussaoui tries to interrupt::
"You will never get a chance to speak again and that's an appropriate ending."

-Judge Brinkema
Go to Top of Page

dannyfu
Learned Scribe

USA
108 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2006 :  16:34:30  Show Profile  Visit dannyfu's Homepage Send dannyfu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
hi Richard, i'm a huge fan of the last mythal series and have been discussing it and defending it regularly since i recently joined the candlekeep forums. it seems to me that "final gate" has a lot of issues to tackle and unless its 500+ pages i imagine some things will be left open, so i was wondering if you would be taking on a new series after this involving characters from the last mythal books? i think you have handled the elves in the realms wonderfully and i would really love to see you continue to write about the Returning or whatever you and the realms have in store for my favorite race. thanks Rich, i cannot wait to read "final gate"!
Go to Top of Page

dannyfu
Learned Scribe

USA
108 Posts

Posted - 02 Mar 2006 :  16:11:17  Show Profile  Visit dannyfu's Homepage Send dannyfu a Private Message  Reply with Quote
since i am the last post i thought i would add: for the love of the elven pantheon, please......do not kill off fflar!!
Go to Top of Page

Aulnil
Acolyte

USA
11 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2006 :  20:26:02  Show Profile  Visit Aulnil's Homepage Send Aulnil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Aulnil

Rich, absolutely loving The Last Mythal series. The Farthest Reach is quite an endeavor. Thanks. I had just a few questions. Spoilers, sorry

The creatures invading Sildeyuir; are they described in more game-use detail anywhere as yet? And, by the writings in Cloak and Dagger, Mulmaster is essentially under Zhentarim control and Manshoon has returned to the organization in some regard. Is there any particular reason the forces of Mulmaster and Manshoon aren't involved in The Farthest Reach, or did you just feel it added to many elements to an already very thick tapestry? Appreciate any thoughts you might have.

Aulnil

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2006 :  20:45:10  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Aulnil,

Unapproachable East has the info you need about the creatures invading Sildeyuir. That was the only sourcebook that has info on that land and the star elves, etc.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 20 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000