Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Richard Baker
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 20

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2004 :  16:11:56  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Krafus
Oh, and Mr. Baker, have you thought about publishing certain characters' stats in Dragon Magazine? I know I'd like to see the full stats of Araevin, Ilsevele, Seiveril, Sarya and Fflar.

I'd love to second that request and move this motion towards a vote. What's that? There is no voting when it comes to art
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2004 :  18:32:48  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
I'd love to second that request and move this motion towards a vote. What's that? There is no voting when it comes to art

Yeap yeap, stats in Dragon would be awesome.

"Evil prevails when good men fail to act."
The original and unapologetic Arilyn, Aribeth, Seoni Fanboy.
Go to Top of Page

RichardBaker
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

129 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2004 :  20:10:15  Show Profile  Visit RichardBaker's Homepage  Reply with Quote
In general, I have nothing to do with the cover they give me. Sometimes I get great ones (Condemnation springs to mind), sometimes I get, well, not-quite-so-great ones. I'm actually pretty happy with the Last Mythal covers, but mostly because I like the white jacket color and title arrangement. It makes 'em pop off the shelf, you can pick out Forsaken House in the middle of a big pile of other WotC books.

I'd like to do that article with the character stats sometime, it's just a matter of when. Maybe I'll find some time for it in a few months. Right now I'm busy with finishing up Farthest Reach and D&D for Dummies, then I have a story to write for Realms of the Elves, then I need to get crackin' on Final Gate so that I'm not stuck writing the book in the middle of the summer... because I've found that I just *hate* spending summer weekends sitting at my desk and writing.

quote:

Forsaken House's cover nearly makes me grind my teeth whenever I see it... Have you seen the size of Araevin's (I assume it's Araevin) arms and fingers? His arms are way too muscled, and his fingers have the thickness of a dwarf's. Not only is he an elf, but he's a mage, who don't tend toward physical exercise overmuch. And there's no hint in the book that he's got a bodybuilder fetish.

Oh, and Mr. Baker, have you thought about publishing certain characters' stats in Dragon Magazine? I know I'd like to see the full stats of Araevin, Ilsevele, Seiveril, Sarya and Fflar.

Rich Baker
Wizards of the Coast, Inc.
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2004 :  23:08:51  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RichardBaker

In general, I have nothing to do with the cover they give me. Sometimes I get great ones (Condemnation springs to mind), sometimes I get, well, not-quite-so-great ones. I'm actually pretty happy with the Last Mythal covers, but mostly because I like the white jacket color and title arrangement. It makes 'em pop off the shelf, you can pick out Forsaken House in the middle of a big pile of other WotC books.

I'd like to do that article with the character stats sometime, it's just a matter of when. Maybe I'll find some time for it in a few months. Right now I'm busy with finishing up Farthest Reach and D&D for Dummies, then I have a story to write for Realms of the Elves, then I need to get crackin' on Final Gate so that I'm not stuck writing the book in the middle of the summer... because I've found that I just *hate* spending summer weekends sitting at my desk and writing.

quote:

Forsaken House's cover nearly makes me grind my teeth whenever I see it... Have you seen the size of Araevin's (I assume it's Araevin) arms and fingers? His arms are way too muscled, and his fingers have the thickness of a dwarf's. Not only is he an elf, but he's a mage, who don't tend toward physical exercise overmuch. And there's no hint in the book that he's got a bodybuilder fetish.

I for one loved the Forsaken House cover... the tensed muscles *could* have something to do with the fact that he was MIND-CONTROLLED and actively DOMINATED by the big bad Fey'ri lady!

Anyhow, yes: please keep the white covers as I have a low Spot modifier... I love to see them "jump at me"... As for the actual quality of the cover art, I personally liked it very much, as it is reminiscent of the PGtoF and MoF covers (I love those half-blurred oil paintings... same with the FR DM screen... it adds an antique feel to the Realms that "jives" with me, brothas!)

Knock on wood!!! as long as you don't put anime-style characters as part of the FR art, I'm fine (death to certain "planetouched" pictures in Races of Faerun!!)
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2004 :  23:08:22  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Finished Forsaken House last night. Wow, talk about a cool story. I can't wait to see where things go from here. 2 thumbs up.

"Evil prevails when good men fail to act."
The original and unapologetic Arilyn, Aribeth, Seoni Fanboy.
Go to Top of Page

Lameth
Learned Scribe

Germany
196 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2004 :  10:15:11  Show Profile  Visit Lameth's Homepage Send Lameth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RichardBaker

then I have a story to write for Realms of the Elves,

Can you tell us something about the story?
Go to Top of Page

Elfinblade
Senior Scribe

Norway
377 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2005 :  13:40:40  Show Profile Send Elfinblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Greetings Mr.Baker.

I just finished reading Forsaken House, and WOW! what a book! Great job man! cant wait for nr.2! This one is goin on my top 5 list
Go to Top of Page

Mystery_Man
Senior Scribe

USA
455 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2005 :  15:02:04  Show Profile  Visit Mystery_Man's Homepage Send Mystery_Man a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Mr. Baker!

How does the ban on 10th level from 2E spells affect Epic level spells in 3E?
Go to Top of Page

Maecenus of Westgate
Learned Scribe

USA
111 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2005 :  18:59:12  Show Profile  Visit Maecenus of Westgate's Homepage Send Maecenus of Westgate a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Almost done with Forsaken House and I must say that this is absolutely one of the best FR books I have read! Congratulations on such a fine story! I hope they decide to release this series in hardback some day so that I can proudly display it on my mantle next to my War of the Spider Queen books.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2005 :  23:04:59  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Elf_Friend

Hi Mr. Baker!

How does the ban on 10th level from 2E spells affect Epic level spells in 3E?

Somehow, it doesn't affect epic spells... Proctiv's Move Mountain was originally a 10th level spell, and now it's an epic spell.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6641 Posts

Posted - 04 Jan 2005 :  23:38:01  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
"Lost Empires of Faerun" will reveal all no doubt, given Rich's Table of Contents. Not long to go now ...

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Elven One
Acolyte

5 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2005 :  18:05:17  Show Profile  Visit Elven One's Homepage Send Elven One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I originally posted this on the Wizards forums, but thats not the place for novel discussions.

I just finished reading Forsaken House, very well written. One of the best FR books I've read, can't wait for for the second book to come out. I was looking through some old material and noticed an interesting fact. The wonderous figurine Guenhwyvar currently owned by Drizzt Do'Urden, was crafted in Myth Drannor and given to Josidiah Starym. Both Fflar and Josidiah were famous and important during the last days of Myth Drannor (I'm not sure what they're relationship was, friends?). Since Fflar has been resurrected and Drizzt left Mithral Hall with Innovindel, is Drizzt, in any way, involved in the plot of the elven return to Faerun? What was the the relationship between Fflar and Josidiah? The reasoning behind my question was that if they Drizzt and Fflar ever met, I'm quite sure that Fflar and Guenhwyvar would recognize each other. Then again different authors behind these characters, you and Mr. Salvatore. I was looking over some other FR info and the Tree of Souls came up.

Question to Mr. Baker: Is Drizzt or Guenhwyvar, in any way, involved in the plot of the elven return to Faerun? What was the the relationship between Fflar and Josidiah? Is the Tree of Souls involved in the Last Mythal trilogy? Thanks!

Edited by - Elven One on 23 Jan 2005 18:06:51
Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2005 :  20:52:27  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Josidiah was a member of the Council of Twelve, was he not? So Fflar as the captain of Myth Drannor's army, should have at least have a working relationship with him.

"Trust in the shadows, for the bright way makes you an easy target." -Mask
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6641 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2005 :  22:59:49  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Problem is, Josidiah "lost" Guen prior to returning to Myth Drannor after his long absence. Thus Fflar would never have met/seen Guen to recognise her - although he may have heard of her.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2005 :  23:59:18  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

Problem is, Josidiah "lost" Guen prior to returning to Myth Drannor after his long absence. Thus Fflar would never have met/seen Guen to recognise her - although he may have heard of her.

-- George Krashos

Indeed. But were there any details ever given of this loss? We know he lost her in the Underdark, but do we know how, or how she made it into drow hands?

Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2005 :  01:15:04  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wooly, it was rumoured that Josidiah traded Guen for the Soldier's Blade, the weapon that he promised to return to Myth Drannor years ago with his companions when they left for the Twisted Tower.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2005 :  01:52:01  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DDH_101

Wooly, it was rumoured that Josidiah traded Guen for the Soldier's Blade, the weapon that he promised to return to Myth Drannor years ago with his companions when they left for the Twisted Tower.

Interesante... What is the source of this information?

Go to Top of Page

Elven One
Acolyte

5 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2005 :  02:54:15  Show Profile  Visit Elven One's Homepage Send Elven One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The information concerning Josidiah Starym can be found in Cormanthyr Empire of the Elves and the Fall of Myth Drannor. The timelines and character descriptions have bits and pieces, you just have to look, takes a while. I couldn't find the rumors of Guen trade but I have heard of them as well.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2005 :  03:22:56  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Elven One

The information concerning Josidiah Starym can be found in Cormanthyr Empire of the Elves and the Fall of Myth Drannor. The timelines and character descriptions have bits and pieces, you just have to look, takes a while. I couldn't find the rumors of Guen trade but I have heard of them as well.

I'm familiar with the other material, just not the rumor.

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2005 :  04:15:49  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

The only relevant blurb I'm aware of comes in the Fall of Myth Drannor tome. In detailing Starym's return with one of the legendary blades, it notes he doesn't have the figurine any longer. Sorry, I can't recall more or the exact page number. I don't have access to the PDF at this moment.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2005 :  06:13:34  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

quote:

quote:

The only relevant blurb I'm aware of comes in the Fall of Myth Drannor tome. In detailing Starym's return with one of the legendary blades, it notes he doesn't have the figurine any longer. Sorry, I can't recall more or the exact page number. I don't have access to the PDF at this moment.

I recall that much, and I further seem to recall that he wouldn't talk about what happened to Guen. I'm just curious about this rumor DDH mentioned...

Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend

USA
1705 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2005 :  18:13:56  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I recall that much, and I further seem to recall that he wouldn't talk about what happened to Guen. I'm just curious about this rumor DDH mentioned...

I'm fairly certain I'm to blame for that rumor, as it's hinted at if not clearly stated in FOMD. I figured Josidiah wouldn't part with Gwen without an excrutiatingly good reason, and returning one of the fabled blades of power to Cormanthyr (stolen long before his day, if memory serves) would be one of the few. It's one of the hidden things in C:EoE and FoMD that I didn't want to underscore, leaving it as a reward for careful readers.

Of course, one of the other things/potential story developments I left in FoMD was a trick from comic books: If there's no body....

Steven

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2005 :  22:42:03  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by DDH_101

Interesante... What is the source of this information?

Wooly, I found it in Forgotten Realms: The Library website in its timeline.

674/Year of the Nomad

Josidiah does not take up his rightful place as Lord-Speaker of House Starym, but he does (by right of the elf-blade he restores to Myth Drannor) take over the leadership of the Akh'Faer and thus rise to a seat on the Council of Twelve. Josidiah refuses to discuss it, but many notice that he no longer walks with his magnificent cat Guenhwyvar, and some whisper he had to trade the cat's figurine of power for the blade. Of his 12 original comrades, only one survived: Onas Ulondarr, an elf bladesinger of House Ulondarr. Returning to the city married to Maira Shieldark, a human wizardess of Arabel, they bring with them four adult half-elf children (three women, one man; all rangers): Alupiira, Vaeala, Shaeia, and Rahsil.

Go to Top of Page

RichardBaker

129 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2005 :  23:26:31  Show Profile  Visit RichardBaker's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I hadn't really thought much about Fflar and Josidiah. It seems likely they knew each other at least casually, but beyond that, I just don't know (it hasn't been really relevant in the Last Mythal, so I haven't nailed it down). In any event, Drizzt and Guen aren't directly involved in the Return, at least not in any causative manner.

I think there's an excellent chance Fflar would recognize Guen, due to Josidiah's fame around Myth Drannor long before the Weeping War--whether or not that would work in reverse, I don't know, since Fflar didn't really come into prominence until the last few weeks of the city's defense, and Guen had been "lost" by Josidiah by that point of time.

As far as the Tree of Souls, that's Elaine Cunningham's story to tell, so I've been sort of staying away from it.

quote:

I originally posted this on the Wizards forums, but thats not the place for novel discussions.

I just finished reading Forsaken House, very well written. One of the best FR books I've read, can't wait for for the second book to come out. I was looking through some old material and noticed an interesting fact. The wonderous figurine Guenhwyvar currently owned by Drizzt Do'Urden, was crafted in Myth Drannor and given to Josidiah Starym. Both Fflar and Josidiah were famous and important during the last days of Myth Drannor (I'm not sure what they're relationship was, friends?). Since Fflar has been resurrected and Drizzt left Mithral Hall with Innovindel, is Drizzt, in any way, involved in the plot of the elven return to Faerun? What was the the relationship between Fflar and Josidiah? The reasoning behind my question was that if they Drizzt and Fflar ever met, I'm quite sure that Fflar and Guenhwyvar would recognize each other. Then again different authors behind these characters, you and Mr. Salvatore. I was looking over some other FR info and the Tree of Souls came up.

Question to Mr. Baker: Is Drizzt or Guenhwyvar, in any way, involved in the plot of the elven return to Faerun? What was the the relationship between Fflar and Josidiah? Is the Tree of Souls involved in the Last Mythal trilogy? Thanks!

Rich Baker
Wizards of the Coast, Inc.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2005 :  23:40:03  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Page 18, Fall of Myth Drannor. Got it. Thank you, DDH, for aiming me in the right direction, and thanks to esteemed Sage Schend for offering explanation for the rumor.

Still... The idea of Josidiah trading away Guen, even for a legendary blade, just doesn't quite work for me. I've always assumed that she was somehow captured or stolen away from him, and he found the blade at another time.

I can see why some would think he traded her away, but it seems out of character for Josie.

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 24 Jan 2005 23:44:57
Go to Top of Page

Elven One
Acolyte

5 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2005 :  00:48:22  Show Profile  Visit Elven One's Homepage Send Elven One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Page 18, Fall of Myth Drannor. Got it. Thank you, DDH, for aiming me in the right direction, and thanks to esteemed Sage Schend for offering explanation for the rumor.

Still... The idea of Josidiah trading away Guen, even for a legendary blade, just doesn't quite work for me. I've always assumed that she was somehow captured or stolen away from him, and he found the blade at another time.

I can see why some would think he traded her away, but it seems out of character for Josie.

I on the other hand find it quite believeable, just sad. Think about it, Josidiah promised to return with the Soldier's Blade to prove that not all of house Starym is worthless, he needed to redeem himself, his house, and prove to the Coronal that he is indeed worthy of his niece's hand. I figure that its most likely a trade since he has the blade and the drow end up with the figurine, for he wouldn't part with it lightly and certainly would look for it if it was taken or lost. It is indeed a difficult choice but his duty to his people, his house, and his promise to return with the blade must come first. Over centuries Guen's figurine finds its way to Menzo, etc etc, until Drizzt becomes the current owner. Thats how I imagine it happened.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2005 :  01:35:39  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I on the other hand find it quite believeable, just sad. Think about it, Josidiah promised to return with the Soldier's Blade to prove that not all of house Starym is worthless, he needed to redeem himself, his house, and prove to the Coronal that he is indeed worthy of his niece's hand. I figure that its most likely a trade since he has the blade and the drow end up with the figurine, for he wouldn't part with it lightly and certainly would look for it if it was taken or lost. It is indeed a difficult choice but his duty to his people, his house, and his promise to return with the blade must come first. Over centuries Guen's figurine finds its way to Menzo, etc etc, until Drizzt becomes the current owner. Thats how I imagine it happened.

But is it really redemption if he has to trade away a friend and ally for a sword? Ditto for striking a bargain with a drow... Josidiah was an honorable sort, so I don't see him willingly letting a noble ally fall into the hands of the drow. I think it more likely that he was captured and his possessions stripped from him, which included the onyx figurine. Some time after that, he managed to escape and also to find the blade, but by then, the figurine was long gone. Or perhaps he found the blade first, and after his escape, managed to reclaim it, but Guen had in the interim been carried away. That's how I've always seen it happening.

An even worse turn of events, which would better explain his silence: He found the blade, but was soon after captured by drow, who stripped him of his possessions. He escaped, and reclaimed everything but Guenhywyvar, who by that time had fallen into the clutches of a seriously powerful drow wizard. Josidiah tried to rescue her, but his foe forced Guen to fight Josie. Unwilling to kill Guen, and unable to counter the more powerful magic of the wizard, Josidiah was forced to retreat.

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2005 :  02:46:41  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
I on the other hand find it quite believeable, just sad. Think about it, Josidiah promised to return with the Soldier's Blade to prove that not all of house Starym is worthless, he needed to redeem himself, his house, and prove to the Coronal that he is indeed worthy of his niece's hand.

To me, the sad part comes upon his return, not over a loss of his figurine.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2005 :  03:46:59  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Yeah, there is that...

Go to Top of Page

Elven One
Acolyte

5 Posts

Posted - 25 Jan 2005 :  04:25:28  Show Profile  Visit Elven One's Homepage Send Elven One a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
I on the other hand find it quite believeable, just sad. Think about it, Josidiah promised to return with the Soldier's Blade to prove that not all of house Starym is worthless, he needed to redeem himself, his house, and prove to the Coronal that he is indeed worthy of his niece's hand.

In saying that I meant it as reguarding the loss of a friend, but the part with the Coronal's niece, thats classic tragedy.

Edited by - Elven One on 25 Jan 2005 04:26:50
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 20 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000