Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Richard Baker
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 20

RichardBaker
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

129 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2004 :  21:42:14  Show Profile  Visit RichardBaker's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sorry, no good reason; I got it wrong. I'm pretty far down that track, though, so I'm going to have to stick with it. It doesn't really make any difference in the story whether Xhalph is Sarya's son or nephew, so try not to dwell on it, I guess. (Of course, I can think of a sick daemonfey explanation for how Xhalp could be Sarya's son *and* her nephew, but I think I'd rather not go there...)

quote:
Originally posted by JSooner

Mr. Baker,

Great job with "Forsaken House"! Excellent piece of work, one of the better FR novels to date. I am anxiously awaiting the next book. Had a question though -

***Spoiler****

in the book Sarya has a son Xhalph, but in the Lords of Darkness FR accessory, it states she has a nephew Xhalth. Any particular reason for the change?

Rich Baker
Wizards of the Coast, Inc.
Go to Top of Page

RichardBaker

129 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2004 :  21:48:02  Show Profile  Visit RichardBaker's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks, glad you liked it!

Yes, High Mage candidates need to be epic level (21st level). I see Araevin as a couple of levels short of where he needs to be, but getting close enough for the High Mages to take notice and begin evaluating him as a candidate.

Sorry, no immediate plans for Jack Ravenwild; I've got a full year of writing left on the Last Mythal before I can even let myself think about what comes next.

quote:
Originally posted by stevem

Richard Baker,

Congratulations on "The Forskaen House". Its an excellent book.

Two questions. First, don't High Mage candidates have to be 20th level? If Araevin is 15 + 1 or 2 fighter-like levels, he wouldn't qualify for the High Mage prestige class.

Second, will we see Jack Ravenwild again? I have to second some of the other posters, he rocked.

Steve Moss

Rich Baker
Go to Top of Page

BrokenRulz
Acolyte

USA
29 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2004 :  16:53:29  Show Profile  Visit BrokenRulz's Homepage Send BrokenRulz a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ladies and Gentleman, the moment has arrived! BrokenRulz is back with another book report! Today's letter pertains to Forsaken House by Richard Baker.

To begin...Richard Baker...a crime has been committed. A most terrible crime indeed. You haven't written enough books for Wizards!

My fellow Candlekeep surfers, I have just had one of the most exciting adventures of my reading career. From start to finish, this book had me hanging on every word, turning every page, thirsty for more!

Now, I am a harsh grader. Not by any sort of ego or need to be, I just am. And I give this book a 9 out of 10. Why not a 10 you ask? Simple: it wasn't long enough. I wanted more Richard Baker! I wanted to continue the travels of Araevin and crew! I wanted to know what the Fey'ri were going to do next and how!

It's been awhile since I've read an FR book that captured me so completely, I cite Salvatore's lastest as being the most successful, but RB, you came out of left field and smacked me upside the head with a wake up call that was both unexpected and needed. Where have you been man? Has being Creative Director taken so much of your time that you've just been teasing us up until now? What's up with dat!?

All in all folks, read this book. Ed Greenwood wasn't lying when he said it was one of the best written to date and I agree. Then, after you read it, pre order the next one. Heck, I'm embarrassed to say that other than your War of the SQ book, I haven't read any of your other FR books, but I can state truthfully that this will change soon.

So here's to Richard Baker! One of the new crown jewels of the FR novel line. I shall dedicate my next Prismatic Spray to you! If you didn't get that last sentence, you haven't read the book! So get out and do so!

Peace Out.

D.
Go to Top of Page

VEDSICA
Senior Scribe

USA
466 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2004 :  05:20:52  Show Profile  Visit VEDSICA's Homepage Send VEDSICA a Private Message  Reply with Quote
He does like that spell just a little BR.I agree.One of the best novels written in quite some time.I was the same way as you.I was hanging on every word,every page.I would sometimes read certain pages twice so I didn't miss anything.Funny thing is that towards the end of the novel.I slowed down reading because I didn't want it to end.
SPOILERS

The thing that I liked about the end was that Aeravin,and not Sarya ended up with the Nightstar.More often than not it's the villians that end up with the item of power,and the heroes go off in search of it,and that's what drives the remaining of a trilogy.Not so in this case IMO.Not to say that Aeravin will lose it in the next novel.It was a great twist that I enjoyed.

Also to maybe answer a question up above.Isn't it true that a selukiira can make a novice mage into a high mage???So really Aeravin's levels shouldn't count against him.He has the knowledge of a high mage that makes it so if I am correct.At least that's what I read in the novel on a few occasions.

Also I think it's great that the some of the elves are considering a return to Faerun.With the daemonfey heading to Myth Drannor.This trilogy can only get better.Great job Rich.I enjoyed Forsaken House very much.

LIFE,BIRTH,BLOOD,DOOM---THE HOLE IN THE GROUND IS COMING ROUND SOON----BLS
Go to Top of Page

RichardBaker

129 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2004 :  17:56:52  Show Profile  Visit RichardBaker's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Glad you liked the book! I'm very close to finishing the 1st draft of Farthest Reach, so it's good to know that book will be anticipated.

RE: prismatic spray... I actually went back late in the 2nd draft in Forsaken House and removed a couple of more spots where Araevin used the spell, replacing it with a different spell, just because I realized he'd been using it a bunch.

quote:
Originally posted by VEDSICA

He does like that spell just a little BR.I agree.One of the best novels written in quite some time.I was the same way as you.I was hanging on every word,every page.I would sometimes read certain pages twice so I didn't miss anything.Funny thing is that towards the end of the novel.I slowed down reading because I didn't want it to end.
SPOILERS

The thing that I liked about the end was that Aeravin,and not Sarya ended up with the Nightstar.More often than not it's the villians that end up with the item of power,and the heroes go off in search of it,and that's what drives the remaining of a trilogy.Not so in this case IMO.Not to say that Aeravin will lose it in the next novel.It was a great twist that I enjoyed.

Also to maybe answer a question up above.Isn't it true that a selukiira can make a novice mage into a high mage???So really Aeravin's levels shouldn't count against him.He has the knowledge of a high mage that makes it so if I am correct.At least that's what I read in the novel on a few occasions.

Also I think it's great that the some of the elves are considering a return to Faerun.With the daemonfey heading to Myth Drannor.This trilogy can only get better.Great job Rich.I enjoyed Forsaken House very much.

Rich Baker
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2004 :  15:52:48  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
For those interested there is an author's profile up for Richard Baker at the WOTC site.
Go to Top of Page

Bruce Donohue
Learned Scribe

Canada
131 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2004 :  17:26:01  Show Profile Send Bruce Donohue a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Richard I was wanting to ask you a certian question

Spoiler....

Now that the Fey'ri are going to Myth Drannor, if they thought that the palebloods were bad, what will their opinion be in regards the drow House Jaerle being there and the former Elven Court, after all Ancoar (sorry about the spelling) was there birthplace? Though the Fey'ri want revenge on the elves, I still get the impression that despite their mixed heritage, they consider themselves to be Elves. Then you will have to also take into consideration the decaying mythal wild effects, the various demons that are there or did the Shades clear them all out with the Phaerimm.
Go to Top of Page

RichardBaker

129 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2004 :  18:39:22  Show Profile  Visit RichardBaker's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Forsaken House spoiler...

I've been thinking about that. I certainly can't see the Jaelre and Auzkovyn drow getting along with the daemonfey at all. Nor would the drow get along with any elves in Cormanthor who were fighting against the daemonfey. Under that scenario, the smart thing for the drow to do would be to stay out of sight, or at least watch things for a while until they figured out which side to back.

quote:
Originally posted by Bruce Donohue

Richard I was wanting to ask you a certian question

Spoiler....

Now that the Fey'ri are going to Myth Drannor, if they thought that the palebloods were bad, what will their opinion be in regards the drow House Jaerle being there and the former Elven Court, after all Ancoar (sorry about the spelling) was there birthplace? Though the Fey'ri want revenge on the elves, I still get the impression that despite their mixed heritage, they consider themselves to be Elves. Then you will have to also take into consideration the decaying mythal wild effects, the various demons that are there or did the Shades clear them all out with the Phaerimm.

Rich Baker
Go to Top of Page

Absolution
Acolyte

2 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2004 :  19:56:44  Show Profile  Visit Absolution's Homepage Send Absolution a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey, I'm new to these boards. I used to play AD&D when it was still the 2nd edition. But for the past 6-7 years I've only been reading the forgotten realms novels. I've almost read them all. And I've got to say that Forsaken House is truly one of the best I've read among the whole bunch. So kuddos to Mr. Baker. I also have a question ...

SPOILERS
So at the end of Forsaken House we know that Lady Dlardrageth is headed to Myth Drannor. At the end of the book, Malkizid says the following :

"But ... there are other mythals you might turn to your purposes.

(to which Sarya answers : Myth Drannor)
(Malkizid then continues)

I have no ability to manipulate the mythal of cormanthor, for I am not an elf. However, with your elf's blood and my knowledge of mythalcraft, we could accomplish far more in Myth Drannor than you could in Myth Glaurach."

But we also know that mythals can't be altered without the agreement of those who created it in the first place.

I don't have my books with me but I think that in one of the Elminster novels or 2nd edition rule books (El in Myth Drannor I think), we learned that he participated in the creation of the Myth Drannor mythal. Am I correct about this ?

If this is true then I'm wondering if there's an explanation as to why Sarya could manipulate the Myth Drannor's mythal without Elminster approval ?
Go to Top of Page

Walen
Acolyte

2 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2004 :  03:52:10  Show Profile  Visit Walen's Homepage Send Walen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mr. Baker:

Excellent book, I very much enjoyed it and look forward to the rest of the series.

Two questions: 1) is Aervain still lower than epic level at the end of the first book?

and the related, spoiler protected question . . .
SPOILER

2) Have you worked out 3.5 stats for the Nightstar or selu'kiira (and will you tell us the stats if you have them)? In the Sea of Fallen Stars accessory and related fiction it suggests that acquisition of a selu'kiira can transform a lesser wizard into a High Mage. I am assuming this is what happened to Aervain.

Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2004 :  04:07:03  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Walen
1) is Aervain still lower than epic level at the end of the first book?

Mr. Baker answered this earlier on this page. His reply is as follows:

quote:

Yes, High Mage candidates need to be epic level (21st level). I see Araevin as a couple of levels short of where he needs to be, but getting close enough for the High Mages to take notice and begin evaluating him as a candidate.

I hope this helps.

SB
Go to Top of Page

RichardBaker

129 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2004 :  22:53:00  Show Profile  Visit RichardBaker's Homepage  Reply with Quote
* * * * FORSAKEN HOUSE SPOILER * * * *

Yes, you're right; in general, mythals can't be tampered with as long as their builders are still around, not without those builders knowing about it. Trust me when I say that "Farthest Reach" doesn't ignore the question. Malkizid knows a great deal about ancient mythal traditions (technology, if you will) that were far more advanced than mythalcraft traditions in the last thousand years or so. And Araevin now has some insight into the ancient arts of mythalcraft too.

quote:
Originally posted by Absolution

Hey, I'm new to these boards. I used to play AD&D when it was still the 2nd edition. But for the past 6-7 years I've only been reading the forgotten realms novels. I've almost read them all. And I've got to say that Forsaken House is truly one of the best I've read among the whole bunch. So kuddos to Mr. Baker. I also have a question ...

SPOILERS
So at the end of Forsaken House we know that Lady Dlardrageth is headed to Myth Drannor. At the end of the book, Malkizid says the following :

"But ... there are other mythals you might turn to your purposes.

(to which Sarya answers : Myth Drannor)
(Malkizid then continues)

I have no ability to manipulate the mythal of cormanthor, for I am not an elf. However, with your elf's blood and my knowledge of mythalcraft, we could accomplish far more in Myth Drannor than you could in Myth Glaurach."

But we also know that mythals can't be altered without the agreement of those who created it in the first place.

I don't have my books with me but I think that in one of the Elminster novels or 2nd edition rule books (El in Myth Drannor I think), we learned that he participated in the creation of the Myth Drannor mythal. Am I correct about this ?

If this is true then I'm wondering if there's an explanation as to why Sarya could manipulate the Myth Drannor's mythal without Elminster approval ?

Rich Baker
Go to Top of Page

RichardBaker

129 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2004 :  23:00:26  Show Profile  Visit RichardBaker's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks, I'm glad you liked it!

Gosh, another spoiler alert seems necessary...

* * * SPOILER * * *

1) Yes, the spell of mythal-shaping that Araevin casts at the end of the book is an epic magic spell. If I had to guess, I'd presume that Araevin's adventures in Book 1 boosted him from 14th-15th on up to 17th or 18th, and then the Nightstar kicked his spellcasting a couple of levels past that, as selukiira are said to be able to do. Of course, he hasn't had much of an opportunity to learn a great number of new spells; he picked up a few 8th-9th level spells from the telkiira and the Nightstar, but the real prize in the Nightstar are the epic spells. Epic spells (High Magic) are incredibly expensive to research and learn, so I think it's a pretty nifty benefit of a selukiira if it can teach you some epic spells without the incredible expense in gold and XP. Or so it would go in game terms, anyway.

quote:
Originally posted by Walen

Mr. Baker:

Excellent book, I very much enjoyed it and look forward to the rest of the series.

Two questions: 1) is Aervain still lower than epic level at the end of the first book?

and the related, spoiler protected question . . .
SPOILER

2) Have you worked out 3.5 stats for the Nightstar or selu'kiira (and will you tell us the stats if you have them)? In the Sea of Fallen Stars accessory and related fiction it suggests that acquisition of a selu'kiira can transform a lesser wizard into a High Mage. I am assuming this is what happened to Aervain.

Thanks.

Rich Baker
Go to Top of Page

Walen
Acolyte

2 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2004 :  17:13:12  Show Profile  Visit Walen's Homepage Send Walen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you very much for the reply Mr. Baker.

I hope that future realms products will contain information on epic items like selu'kiira (hopefully Ancient Empires?).

Can't wait for the rest of the series.
Go to Top of Page

Bruce Donohue
Learned Scribe

Canada
131 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2004 :  18:03:31  Show Profile Send Bruce Donohue a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello Richard,

Spoiler....

Richard in regards to the second book and the Fey'ri going to Myth Drannor, I wanted to ask you a few things...

Will the Elves currently in Cormanthor, being those in Tangled Trees, Semberholme, Deepingdale (Bristar, Highmoon, Moonrise Hill and Eilistraee Drow and followers that Lord Ultah of Highmoon has allowed to live and work within Deepingdale, and lastly the Elves and the Druids Elves the Queen sent to the Elven court to re-settle and to rehabilitate the forest in and around the Elven Court) get involved or notified?

Though these elves aren't in great numbers, I am sure that somehow having the Auzkovyn Drow, House Jaelre, and now the Fey'ri stiring the pot, that things will become interesting. Not to mention when the Fey'ri find out how many Elves are indeed still living in Cormanthor, that their numbers are so small, that they will be an even bigger target to destroy than Evereska or the High Forest Elves were. Especially when one considers that allies will not be as readily available to aid them to defend themselves as Evereska and High Forest Elves were.
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2004 :  23:28:02  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Rich -- not a question just a comment:

I believe Forsaken House is everything the cover claims it to be: I'm at p.250 now and I must honestly say that it highly ranks amidst the most enjoyable FR novel I've read. Here's why I think it is so incredibly, joyfully and deliciously good, IMHO:

S

P

O

I

L

E

R

S

1. We definitely get the feeling that you know what you are talking about throughout the novel. I get the impression that you made an honest effort - and succeeded! - to stay true to the setting, and that makes me, a fan of the FR setting, a gamer, someone who spends a large chunk of his life with his nose in the FR books, happy. Examples of these:
a. The elves are not cannon-fodder, nor they are militaristically organized like Lawful nations such as Cormyr. "Civilians" are as important as the "Soldiers" as seen by the composition of the Council. The Council makes a good job to illustrate their individualistic nature (Chaotic Good), and how Seiveril manages to gather troops without angering the Queen.
b. Finally! a novel that do not make the good guys look like bumbling fools! I think it's a first since the coming out of 3E, but I haven't read all the novels so that's just IMO. The Light side of the Force actually wins battles! I really liked how the elves push back the demons... I remember thinking "Finally, someone realized that the elves have arcane archers, bladesingers, clerics, wizards, etc. and actually depicted a battle where they used these abilities." I think a lot of authors these days gloss over a lot of things in an attempt to have their writing-style appear more "epic" or in touch with the "big picture." Personally, I think that forgetting about the little guys fighting on the ground is a mistake and make a novel look sloppy, especially to a FR fan. Kudos for not doing that Rich!
c. A behir!! need I say more!!
d. A genasi!! need I say more!! (actually yes, I do, as I believe that this is the first genasi appearing in a novel...)
e. FINALLY: believable villains!! not omniscient smart-arses who always think 6 years ahead of the present, but villains that can *GASP!* make mistakes too! (as proven by the Fey'ri's defeat in Evereska)

In conclusion, I'd say that it would perhaps be easy for an established author to take "more artistic license than he/she should" when writing a FR novel, but you managed, wonderfully, to keep the "wild ideas" to a minimum while drawing heavily from the lore and loose ends already in place within the setting, all while staying true to the game itself. You probably made the FR designers' job easier in the process, thanks to the absence of Realms-shaking Events. You kept battle loss to a realistic degree, not treating elves like incapable fools but rather like the deadly adversaries that they are (I can deal with 500 dead elves, not thousands upon thousands, as I know that they are already scarce within Faerûn). You made villains believable: yes, they have access to an ancient source of power that makes them a threat, but no, they are not so perfect as not to make any mistakes when using this power.

KUDOS! GENERAL 5 CANNON SALUTE! THANK YOU!

PDK
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2004 :  23:43:34  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Purple Dragon Knight

d. A genasi!! need I say more!! (actually yes, I do, as I believe that this is the first genasi appearing in a novel...)

Elaine used a water genesi in her last Windwalker novel. :) And I dimly recall another showing up in another novel that was written for 3/3.5e.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Tamsar
Learned Scribe

United Kingdom
141 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2004 :  19:38:26  Show Profile Send Tamsar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wasn't there an Eart Genesai Mage in lady of Poison? Whose name escapes me atm.

Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2004 :  21:03:04  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tamsar

Wasn't there an Eart Genesai Mage in lady of Poison? Whose name escapes me atm.

Like I said guys, I haven't read all the novels yet. Windwalker is on the list and already waiting on my pile of unread novels. Anyhow, I found the idea of an air genasi refreshing (no pun intended).

Now, what about my other comments, you overanalyzing geeks!!
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2004 :  17:08:52  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mr. Baker:

Two questions regarding The Last Mythal series:

1. You advanced the timeline at a nice rate in the first book. Will this continue in the upcoming novels for the series?

2. Am I correct that by series end, the "Year of Risen Elfkin" will be fully understandable to FR readers?

Thank you again for an entertaining read and for any time spent answering these questions.

SB
Go to Top of Page

RichardBaker

129 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2004 :  17:43:05  Show Profile  Visit RichardBaker's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks, PDK. Guess I can't say much more than that!

I just finished the first draft of Book 2, The Farthest Reach. Here's hoping that it keeps up with your expectations.

As an aside: I was up hiking on Mount Rainier a couple of weeks ago, and I found the spot that just made me say, "Jeeze, that's the Western Cwmb!" It's an area called Misty Park. It's at 5,000 feet or so, cupped by Mother Mountain on one side and, well, Mount Rainier on the other--a big, green, sparsely forested valley surrounded by towering peaks. So if anyone's wondering what the heck I was thinking when I called something a "cwm" (or "cwmb" or "coomb"), well, that was exactly it.

[quote]Originally posted by Purple Dragon Knight

[[snipped for author's modesty]]

Rich Baker
Go to Top of Page

RichardBaker

129 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2004 :  17:48:15  Show Profile  Visit RichardBaker's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Two replies.

1. Yes, the whole trilogy winds up spanning about 10 months of world time. The third book should be finishing by the beginning of Uktar in 1374 DR.

2. You betcha. We've got several candidates, really. Certainly the released fey'ri under Sarya's command could be construed as "risen elfkin." Or, for that matter, Fflar Starbrow Melruth is a risen elfkin in every sense of the word. I wonder who Alaundo was talking about when he thought up that year name?

quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

Mr. Baker:

Two questions regarding The Last Mythal series:

1. You advanced the timeline at a nice rate in the first book. Will this continue in the upcoming novels for the series?

2. Am I correct that by series end, the "Year of Risen Elfkin" will be fully understandable to FR readers?

Thank you again for an entertaining read and for any time spent answering these questions.

SB

Rich Baker
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2004 :  18:36:48  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RichardBaker

2. You betcha. We've got several candidates, really. Certainly the released fey'ri under Sarya's command could be construed as "risen elfkin." Or, for that matter, Fflar Starbrow Melruth is a risen elfkin in every sense of the word. I wonder who Alaundo was talking about when he thought up that year name?

I had considered the fey'ri, but not Fflar... BTW, that one really surprised me! It's not oft that an event in a book totally surprises me.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2004 :  21:22:09  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I just finished the first draft of Book 2, The Farthest Reach. Here's hoping that it keeps up with your expectations.

As an aside: I was up hiking on Mount Rainier a couple of weeks ago, and I found the spot that just made me say, "Jeeze, that's the Western Cwmb!" It's an area called Misty Park. It's at 5,000 feet or so, cupped by Mother Mountain on one side and, well, Mount Rainier on the other--a big, green, sparsely forested valley surrounded by towering peaks. So if anyone's wondering what the heck I was thinking when I called something a "cwm" (or "cwmb" or "coomb"), well, that was exactly it.
Please don't tell me that your car was parked at "Foot Zero" and that you actually hiked up 5,000 feet... this would break all rules known to mankind! a fit gamer!!

Hmm... funny you mentioned hiking, for I just started doing so yesterday, around a local hill named "Mount Douglas" (Victoria, BC) My last few years in the Navy got me sitting behind a desk, and then I went on to finish my Masters full-time... (more sitting) So now I'm stuck with quite a few extra reserves that I quite frankly do not need.

Your post just inspired me to move my butt again... and try harder than stopping halfway up the climb. Today, I shall try for the top! (puts on determined gamer hat: The University Ballcap of Disguise!)
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 23 Sep 2004 :  21:30:02  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Tease!

Who, besides yourself, is involved in the decision making process when it comes to deciding what Alaundo was referring to for that year?

Thanks for the replies.

SB
Go to Top of Page

RichardBaker

129 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2004 :  17:53:18  Show Profile  Visit RichardBaker's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Once upon a time I was in shape, but no longer.

We took two cars, parked one at the Carbonado camp and drove the other to Mowich Lake (elev. 5000 ft.) We hiked about 5 miles up into Spray Park, all the way to the top (elev. 6400 ft.) Along the way we could look down into Misty Park and across it to Mother Mountain. Then we hoofed it about 7.5 miles down to Carbonado, dropping from 6600 ft. to 1300 ft. on that leg. The total was 12.5 miles, gaining about 2000 ft. going in (there's a lot of up and down in that first leg) and losing 4500 ft. going out. It took us 9 hours. And I hurt for a whole week afterwards.

quote:
Originally posted by Purple Dragon Knight

quote:

Please don't tell me that your car was parked at "Foot Zero" and that you actually hiked up 5,000 feet... this would break all rules known to mankind! a fit gamer!!

Hmm... funny you mentioned hiking, for I just started doing so yesterday, around a local hill named "Mount Douglas" (Victoria, BC) My last few years in the Navy got me sitting behind a desk, and then I went on to finish my Masters full-time... (more sitting) So now I'm stuck with quite a few extra reserves that I quite frankly do not need.

Your post just inspired me to move my butt again... and try harder than stopping halfway up the climb. Today, I shall try for the top! (puts on determined gamer hat: The University Ballcap of Disguise!)

Rich Baker
Go to Top of Page

RichardBaker

129 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2004 :  17:55:53  Show Profile  Visit RichardBaker's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The Book Department, mostly in the form of Phil Athans, who's the lead editor for FR these days.

quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

quote:

Tease!

Who, besides yourself, is involved in the decision making process when it comes to deciding what Alaundo was referring to for that year?

Thanks for the replies.

SB

Rich Baker
Go to Top of Page

Lauzoril
Seeker

Finland
71 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2004 :  18:46:08  Show Profile  Visit Lauzoril's Homepage Send Lauzoril a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Greetings, Richard.

I just completed the Forsaken House today and liked it very much, one of the most entertaining FR novels I've read recently. It had lots of interesting situations, characters and especially, magic. I'm eagerly waiting for the next book.

Possible spoiler.

One question. What happened to the horses Araevin disguised behind an illusion near the Grimlight's Lair? Are they still there?

"Death to the enemies of Bane."
Go to Top of Page

RichardBaker

129 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2004 :  17:57:42  Show Profile  Visit RichardBaker's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sorry to say it, but I'm pretty sure they were eventually eaten by trolls. And the saddles, too. Trolls aren't discriminating.

quote:
Originally posted by Lauzoril

Greetings, Richard.

I just completed the Forsaken House today and liked it very much, one of the most entertaining FR novels I've read recently. It had lots of interesting situations, characters and especially, magic. I'm eagerly waiting for the next book.

Possible spoiler.

One question. What happened to the horses Araevin disguised behind an illusion near the Grimlight's Lair? Are they still there?

Rich Baker
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 01 Oct 2004 :  09:56:47  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ya know, I was talkin about the fate of the horses only the other day to a friend of mine. I liked to think that they wandered off into the forest and eventually escaped

Alas, in truth, I think the trolls would have only been picking at the remains after they were likely slain alongside Brant

Whilst I'm here, I'll take this opportunity again to say what an excellent novel this is A fantastic FR novel, and a beautiful novel of elven flavor

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 20 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000