Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Richard Baker
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 20

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2007 :  19:12:25  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RichardBaker

Hi, Jamallo, nice to meet you --

Well, I hate to say it, but I think I would go the other way. To my mind casting a spell consists of two steps: 1) gather the energy, and 2) say the words and perform the actions that make it happen. I believe that step 2 is largely independent of the exact method used to gather the energy for the spell. However, there's no reason you can't go the other way in your campaign. It reduces the value of "enemy" spellbooks the PCs capture, but other than that it shouldn't make much difference in the game.

quote:
Originally posted by Jamallo Kreen

Well met, Goodsir! I recently made a ruling in my campaign that wizards who use the Shadow Weave cannot learn spells from the spellbooks of Weave users, and vice versa. The question particularly concerned someone who started as a Weave user and then turned to the Shadow Weave.

Ed having declared you the ultimate authority on Shadow Weavery, Mr. Baker, I ask your opinion: can Weave and Shadow Weave users learn spells from the other's spellbooks? I know it's my campaign and all that, but I have promised my players that I will always seek out the opinions of the authors and designers when I have a doubt about something. Your answer, therefore, will be taken strongly into consideration.

I thank you for all of your wonderful contributtions to the game, and to the Realms in particular.

Well, thank you! I may go part way and rule that 0 and 1st level spells would be learnable by the renegade, but that anything above the level she could cast when she "made the switch" would be blocked from her mind by Mystra. It is (I hope) a happy compromise. In my campaign there is, indeed, a serious question of who is accessing whose spellbooks, so I think this compromise may help to nip that in the bud -- after a certain point there would be no advantage to sneeking a peek at another party member's spellbook.

I shall proceed to my Yahoo group and spread the (revised) word.

Also, shall I take your comments to indicate that arcane spellcasters who do not prepare spells (bards, sorcerers, etc.) can learn to cast a spell from observing either its Weave or Shadow Weave counterpart? Their mojo is inherently different from wizardry, so I would be inclined to put fewer limitations on their ability to learn from either Weave or Shadow Weave users. Do you concur?

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

Delzounblood
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
578 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2007 :  10:14:41  Show Profile Send Delzounblood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Richard,

I just wanted to say I have just read The Shadow Stone, What an Excellent Book!

Now this is one of those books that lends itself to a sequel.

So is it part of a trilogy or series? and if so What are the other titles?

Again a really good book!

interesting use of wood for spell storage.

Delz

I'm Back!
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2007 :  21:03:43  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Delzounblood

Richard,

Delz

Lest you think that I am only interested in you because Ed said you were the man on Shadow Weave matters, permit me to echo all of the above.

I'd like to learn a lot more about pre-modern Shadow Weave magic and Shadow Mages (ones who use Weave magic to manipulate shadows). Ebenfar and the Shadowking were rooted in Weave magic, weren't they?

Edited by - Jamallo Kreen on 08 Mar 2007 21:05:47
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2007 :  03:31:09  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Any chance you can tell us what levels characters need to be do go through Expedition to Undermountain?

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 20 Mar 2007 :  20:57:26  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met, Mr. Baker!

I have some questions about the article on the Far Side ... er ... Far Realm, which Bruce R. Cordell wrote about for Dragon 330 (April 2005). However, since I haven't yet figured out how to quickly post a message to him on his web site, I refer them to you, as lead author for Lords of Madness. Given the possibly broad application of the answers, you are certainly just as qualified to voice your learned opinion as are the other sages to whom we defer.

The first question, a two-parter, is this: First, "if there is a level of the Intelligence or Wisdom abilities so high as to render a living (or undead) being mentally immune to the mind-shattering effects of poking about in the Far Realm or having its inhabitants poke about in one's body and mind, what would you consider that level to be?"

There is a Realms angle to this. The big problem with the spell Karsus's Avatar was that Karsus himself didn't have the mental capacity to grok Mystryl's knowledge and he cracked under the pressure, necessitating her sacrifice. This suggests that a deity's knowledge and understanding are vastly superior to that of even top-notch Archwizards/Netherese Arcanists. However, repeated examples show that some humans can cope with deific amounts of knowledge (and not just Chosen or proxies). Presumably, anyone who had the mental chops to deal with god-level knowledge could survive the shock of realizing its immensities. (Pace, Vaarsuvius!) Bane can clearly handle it, and Cyric obviously can't. Both were once mortals, and Cyric went insane, whereas Bane merely developed a bad attitude. (Oh, to see Bane's childhood report card comments! -- "The boy doesn't play well with others. Instead of asking teachers proper questions, he shouts at them them to, 'Tremble and obey!' He runs while carrying scissors. He will doubtless come to a bad end")

Ahem. Please pardon the digression. I return to my sheep: question the first, part the second: "if most mortals cannot handle god-knowledge, but some can, may we safely infer that some deities can handle Far Realm experiences and some can't? Would that be a reflection of their Intelligence, Wisdom, Divine Rank, class levels, or portfolios and domains?"

The second question is, I trust, simpler: "are aberrations, and those who have monstrous feats which muddle their minds with an alien mind-set when they are probed by other beings, immune to the mind-shattering effects of the Far Realm?" Its corollary: "if some monstrous beings are immune to the insanity caused by the Far Realm, which are they?"

The second question has implications for all D&D campaigns which incorporate intrusions from the Far Realm, but for those following the Age of Worms adventure path, my questions are particularly relevant to the show-down with Kyuss. He is immune to mind-effecting magics (as are many deities), and he is an aberration himself. The thrust of my questions is this: "Is the Far Realm so unspeakably awful that it supersedes normal D&D rules, affecting those who are 'normally' immune to mind-affecting magic or effects, and are Cerebrotic spells so horrendously abnormal that they can effect those who would 'normally' be immune to all magic less than Epic? Might an Alienist with Cerebrotic spells, for example, prevail against mighty beings who would be otherwise immune to the magic of 'normal' space-time?"

If Cthulhu calls, are 'normal' gods unafraid to pick up the white courtesy telephone and take his call? Are his most powerful minions (or those of other eldritch, capital-"E" Evils) able to scorn the gods themselves because of the magic of madness which they wield?

I have noticed that Toril's EEEs (Elder Elemental Evils) and some deities from other pantheons are so abominable that it requires many deities (and sometimes whole pantheons) to subdue or imprison them, and trickery must often be used to trap them. Such entities include the Dragonking (Marco Volo's buddy), Kezef the Chaos Hound, the Fenris Wolf, Ksarul (from Tekumel/Empire of the Petal Throne), the historical Tiamat of Earth, and the historical Sekhmet of Earth (whose subdual turned out to be relatively simple, although only one god could figure it out: She had to be plied with blood-colored beer -- something those folk who were recently partying on Saint Paddy's Day might want to think about: if Sekhmet needed blood-colored beer to get Her stupefied, what abominable, soul-rending horror might need to be subdued with green beer?!).

I realize that much of this ultimately devolves upon individual DMs, but I'd like Faerun's premier Lord of Madness to weigh in on this. Having read Monte Cook's When the Sky Falls, I have already ruled that the plasma "element" can harm gods (it is presumably "thaumaturgic meteorites," loaded with raw plasma energy, which they chuck at each other during their God Wars), and I am using the 3E Unearthed Arcana sanity rules, so ruling that the Far Realm and its nightmarish entities and their magics can effect aberrations and even gods is not a stretch for my campaign, but I don't want to go completely off the deep end and veer too far from the standard rules, so I'm very interested in reading whether or not you think that the Far Realm is so far out that it and its denizens can alter the norms of a game, especially one set in a world as well thought-out as Toril.

Elsewhere I have asked people what they consider to be "Forbidden Lore" -- the stuff so bad that even gods of knowledge such as Oghma and Oerth's Delleb forbid access to it or possibly destroy it and all records of it. Given the heavy-duty magic which Oghma permitted Cyric to read in Prince of Lies (a spell personally written by Gargauth!), real "Forbidden Lore" must be so extreme that it blows even the minds of greater gods (or reveals their deepest weaknesses). We know that this lore is "out there," so do you, Mr. Baker, think that the Far Realm and that which is associated with it would/should fall under the "Forbidden Lore" heading because it is baleful to the gods themselves? Or are they made of sterner stuff? If the latter, which quality or qualities permit them to stand against the Far Realm?

Please forgive the great length of this post, but it's difficult to express oneself succinctly when writing about matters which can melt the brain of a 41st level Netherese Mentalist with a 22 Intelligence and a 19 Wisdom!

Go to Top of Page

RichardBaker
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

129 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2007 :  21:10:41  Show Profile  Visit RichardBaker's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sorry for the slow response, I've been super-busy lately. I'm glad you liked the book!

The Shadow Stone is a stand-alone book, although the Shadow Weave concept obviously was picked up for 3rd Edition. I suggested a sequel to our Book Department (basically "Aeron Goes to Thay") but nothing ever came of it.

quote:

Richard,

Delz

Rich Baker
Wizards of the Coast, Inc.
Go to Top of Page

RichardBaker

129 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2007 :  21:12:47  Show Profile  Visit RichardBaker's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Again, my apologies for the slow response.

You should start with 1st level characters. I believe the adventure will take you up to about 9th level by the time you finish.

quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth

Any chance you can tell us what levels characters need to be do go through Expedition to Undermountain?

Rich Baker
Go to Top of Page

RichardBaker

129 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2007 :  21:22:21  Show Profile  Visit RichardBaker's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well, RAW (rules as written) simply say that you make a DC 20 Will save when you enter the Far Realm, and another save each hour you remain. So if your Will save bonus is +19, presumably you're pretty safe. You can still fail on a roll of 1. However, deities of divine rank 1 or higher no longer auto-fail on 1. So any deity with a Will save of +19 or better is effectively immune to Far Realms madness, but any mortal creature not native to the Far Realm is still at some small risk no matter how good their Will saves are.

It might be reasonable to "house rule" that aberrations count as natives of the Far Realm and therefore aren't subject to the plane's madness, but nothing in the rules supports that. It seems like a okay use of Rule Zero to me, though.

* Snipped quote *

quote:

Well met, Mr. Baker!

The first question, a two-parter, is this: First, "if there is a level of the Intelligence or Wisdom abilities so high as to render a living (or undead) being mentally immune to the mind-shattering effects of poking about in the Far Realm or having its inhabitants poke about in one's body and mind, what would you consider that level to be?"

The second question is, I trust, simpler: "are aberrations, and those who have monstrous feats which muddle their minds with an alien mind-set when they are probed by other beings, immune to the mind-shattering effects of the Far Realm?" Its corollary: "if some monstrous beings are immune to the insanity caused by the Far Realm, which are they?"

The second question has implications for all D&D campaigns which incorporate intrusions from the Far Realm, but for those following the Age of Worms adventure path, my questions are particularly relevant to the show-down with Kyuss. He is immune to mind-effecting magics (as are many deities), and he is an aberration himself. The thrust of my questions is this: "Is the Far Realm so unspeakably awful that it supersedes normal D&D rules, affecting those who are 'normally' immune to mind-affecting magic or effects, and are Cerebrotic spells so horrendously abnormal that they can effect those who would 'normally' be immune to all magic less than Epic? Might an Alienist with Cerebrotic spells, for example, prevail against mighty beings who would be otherwise immune to the magic of 'normal' space-time?"

If Cthulhu calls, are 'normal' gods unafraid to pick up the white courtesy telephone and take his call? Are his most powerful minions (or those of other eldritch, capital-"E" Evils) able to scorn the gods themselves because of the magic of madness which they wield?

I have noticed that Toril's EEEs (Elder Elemental Evils) and some deities from other pantheons are so abominable that it requires many deities (and sometimes whole pantheons) to subdue or imprison them, and trickery must often be used to trap them. Such entities include the Dragonking (Marco Volo's buddy), Kezef the Chaos Hound, the Fenris Wolf, Ksarul (from Tekumel/Empire of the Petal Throne), the historical Tiamat of Earth, and the historical Sekhmet of Earth (whose subdual turned out to be relatively simple, although only one god could figure it out: She had to be plied with blood-colored beer -- something those folk who were recently partying on Saint Paddy's Day might want to think about: if Sekhmet needed blood-colored beer to get Her stupefied, what abominable, soul-rending horror might need to be subdued with green beer?!).

I realize that much of this ultimately devolves upon individual DMs, but I'd like Faerun's premier Lord of Madness to weigh in on this. Having read Monte Cook's When the Sky Falls, I have already ruled that the plasma "element" can harm gods (it is presumably "thaumaturgic meteorites," loaded with raw plasma energy, which they chuck at each other during their God Wars), and I am using the 3E Unearthed Arcana sanity rules, so ruling that the Far Realm and its nightmarish entities and their magics can effect aberrations and even gods is not a stretch for my campaign, but I don't want to go completely off the deep end and veer too far from the standard rules, so I'm very interested in reading whether or not you think that the Far Realm is so far out that it and its denizens can alter the norms of a game, especially one set in a world as well thought-out as Toril.

Elsewhere I have asked people what they consider to be "Forbidden Lore" -- the stuff so bad that even gods of knowledge such as Oghma and Oerth's Delleb forbid access to it or possibly destroy it and all records of it. Given the heavy-duty magic which Oghma permitted Cyric to read in Prince of Lies (a spell personally written by Gargauth!), real "Forbidden Lore" must be so extreme that it blows even the minds of greater gods (or reveals their deepest weaknesses). We know that this lore is "out there," so do you, Mr. Baker, think that the Far Realm and that which is associated with it would/should fall under the "Forbidden Lore" heading because it is baleful to the gods themselves? Or are they made of sterner stuff? If the latter, which quality or qualities permit them to stand against the Far Realm?

Please forgive the great length of this post, but it's difficult to express oneself succinctly when writing about matters which can melt the brain of a 41st level Netherese Mentalist with a 22 Intelligence and a 19 Wisdom!

Rich Baker
Go to Top of Page

Delzounblood
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
578 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2007 :  10:30:04  Show Profile Send Delzounblood a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Sorry for the slow response, I've been super-busy lately. I'm glad you liked the book!

The Shadow Stone is a stand-alone book, although the Shadow Weave concept obviously was picked up for 3rd Edition. I suggested a sequel to our Book Department (basically "Aeron Goes to Thay") but nothing ever came of it.

quote:

Richard,

Delz

Arrrgh!!!!

A stand alone!

*incohearant gibberings*

Please could you, would you try Wotc again!

Delz

I'm Back!
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2007 :  18:31:15  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well, RAW (rules as written) simply say that you make a DC 20 Will save when you enter the Far Realm, and another save each hour you remain. So if your Will save bonus is +19, presumably you're pretty safe. You can still fail on a roll of 1. However, deities of divine rank 1 or higher no longer auto-fail on 1. So any deity with a Will save of +19 or better is effectively immune to Far Realms madness, but any mortal creature not native to the Far Realm is still at some small risk no matter how good their Will saves are.

It might be reasonable to "house rule" that aberrations count as natives of the Far Realm and therefore aren't subject to the plane's madness, but nothing in the rules supports that. It seems like a okay use of Rule Zero to me, though.

* Snipped quote *

quote:

Well met, Mr. Baker!

(snip)

That's why you write the rules and I just buy them. A few minutes of thoughtful study would have revealed those (obvious to everyone but me!) answers and saved you me the trouble of writing that post and you the trouble of reading it.

I am enlightened. Thank you. I will now go ask my dog about his Buddha nature....

Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2007 :  18:40:59  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My enlightenment now lapses.

I got Dungeons & Dragons for Dummies yesterday (hey! -- it was well-reviewed in Dragon!) and ran across the following sentence on pp 344-345 which left me totally confused: {Re:sleep} "In fact, many players with sorcerer characters use their 4th-level spell swap to chuck sleep and learn something else." I don't understand that at all. I can't find a reference anywhere to 4th-level sorcerers being able to abandon one spell and take up another. Admittedly my players and I run wizards and not sorcerers, but I don't think I'd miss something as (seemingly) obvious as a caster being able to unlearn a spell and learn a new one. Or would I?

Richard, sir, what, pray, didst thou mean? (If it's just a rule I've overlooked, a simple reference to the appropriate page will suffice.)

Go to Top of Page

TomCosta
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
954 Posts

Posted - 30 Mar 2007 :  20:58:01  Show Profile Send TomCosta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Reread the sorcerer's spellcasting section in the 3.5E PH. They can swap out their spells known as they get more powerful, so sleep, which is great for a low level character but almost useless for a higher level one, is an easy choice to drop.
Go to Top of Page

Purple Dragon Knight
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1796 Posts

Posted - 31 Mar 2007 :  00:02:26  Show Profile Send Purple Dragon Knight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Jamallo: click on the link on my sig; from there, select "Classes 2" and look under "Spells" in the Sorcerer section. Bards also have a similar feature by the way.
Go to Top of Page

RichardBaker

129 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2007 :  01:56:39  Show Profile  Visit RichardBaker's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This is a rule that changed between 3rd Edition and 3.5. Sorcerers gained a limited "swap-out" feature that allowed them to retire spells obsoleted at later levels. When you're a 1st-level sorcerer, sleep looks like a critically important choice. At 10th level, you never cast it anymore, but something like charm person or shield is a spell you might still occasionally use.

quote:

My enlightenment now lapses.

I got Dungeons & Dragons for Dummies yesterday (hey! -- it was well-reviewed in Dragon!) and ran across the following sentence on pp 344-345 which left me totally confused: {Re:sleep} "In fact, many players with sorcerer characters use their 4th-level spell swap to chuck sleep and learn something else." I don't understand that at all. I can't find a reference anywhere to 4th-level sorcerers being able to abandon one spell and take up another. Admittedly my players and I run wizards and not sorcerers, but I don't think I'd miss something as (seemingly) obvious as a caster being able to unlearn a spell and learn a new one. Or would I?

Richard, sir, what, pray, didst thou mean? (If it's just a rule I've overlooked, a simple reference to the appropriate page will suffice.)

Rich Baker
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2007 :  21:07:41  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

This is a rule that changed between 3rd Edition and 3.5. Sorcerers gained a limited "swap-out" feature that allowed them to retire spells obsoleted at later levels. When you're a 1st-level sorcerer, sleep looks like a critically important choice. At 10th level, you never cast it anymore, but something like charm person or shield is a spell you might still occasionally use.

Thanks!

Go to Top of Page

Kaladorm
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1176 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2007 :  23:55:35  Show Profile  Visit Kaladorm's Homepage Send Kaladorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Rich, sorry to press a point, but I'd just like to know if you have an answer at all for my previous question? Just asking as it's on the previous page and I thought you may have missed it
Thanks
Go to Top of Page

RichardBaker

129 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2007 :  22:43:07  Show Profile  Visit RichardBaker's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Darn it, should have caught that sooner. My bad, it's a good question.

First, Valas was pretty reliable in drow terms. I think it was a sense of mercenary professionalism--he wants to demonstrate that he's competent and reliable in order to maintain his "rep."

Second, I think the others recognized that there might be unpleasant consequences if they returned to Menzoberranzan and somehow their fearless Baenre leader just hadn't managed to survive the trip. If nothing else, the draegloth would pose an immediate problem if he thought the others had let Quenthel die.

quote:
Originally posted by Kaladorm

Rich, sorry to press a point, but I'd just like to know if you have an answer at all for my previous question? Just asking as it's on the previous page and I thought you may have missed it
Thanks

Rich Baker
Go to Top of Page

Phoebus
Acolyte

18 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2007 :  15:22:44  Show Profile  Visit Phoebus's Homepage Send Phoebus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello Rich,

I was hoping you might be able to share some background information about some of the elven folk during the Crown Wars. Lost Empires of Faerun does an excellent job (in my humble opinion) of casting some light on that series of conflicts, but I (and others, I would imagine) was left with some questions about "how things were" back then.

When reading the Crown Wars chapter, the timeline, accompanying text, and additional items (such as the description of the Iron Pit) gave me what I felt was a clear enough view into Ilythiir so as to plausibly identify them with a society "worthy" of becoming the Drow so feared in the Realms today. I also understood the role the Vyshaan clan played in that grand game, and that of their infernal patron as well.

What about the Aryvandaaran sun elves as a whole, though? How do they reconcile with their rulers' attempts and actions? Were they debased and decadent enough to merit being called "evil" in their own way as many of the Ilythiiri were? Or were they dupes in a grand power play? I'm very curious to know what their society thought about the Crown Wars and their rulers as the conflicts broiled on--especially after the Elven Court's verdict was laid down.

I ask because, as you mentioned in an earlier post, there is a negative label often attached to the Sun/Gold Elves... and I'm curious to know if they merited it at that time. Think of all of the titanic debates you could settle if only you would answer the above 3-4 questions!!!

/R
Phoebus

Edited by - Phoebus on 28 Apr 2007 15:25:05
Go to Top of Page

Kaladorm
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1176 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2007 :  00:31:46  Show Profile  Visit Kaladorm's Homepage Send Kaladorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Darn it, should have caught that sooner. My bad, it's a good question.

First, Valas was pretty reliable in drow terms. I think it was a sense of mercenary professionalism--he wants to demonstrate that he's competent and reliable in order to maintain his "rep."

Second, I think the others recognized that there might be unpleasant consequences if they returned to Menzoberranzan and somehow their fearless Baenre leader just hadn't managed to survive the trip. If nothing else, the draegloth would pose an immediate problem if he thought the others had let Quenthel die.

quote:

Thanks

Thanks for shedding some light on that , I figured that would be the reason but its nice to have it clarified. I'd also like to say thanks for writing it, it was a very enjoyable book, amongst all the others of the series as well.

Whilst we're on the topic, and I'm not sure it happened in Condemnation but sadly I can't remember which, do you happen to know how Nimor escaped when Gromph trapped him in the plane of shadow? I couldn't remember and neither could Reefy who's just read the series, and no one on candlekeep has offered a solution yet.

If you don't know the answer then I understand but I thought I'd try. Oh and I realise it's a long time ago but I read city of Ravens recently and I 'loved' all the intrigue of the balls. I've started reading Masquerades and deep down I was hoping it would offer something close to City of Ravens
Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2007 :  10:31:58  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello Mr. Baker!

Some people over at the German boards mentioned with surprise that the cambion template included in Expedition to the Demonweb Pits shows uneven ability modifiers, e.g. +5 for STR. Given that this goes against the traditional usage of such bonuses, are we going to see more of this in the future?
I for one would not have any problems, as "monster" ability scores start off with 10 or 11 anyway, yet some concerns were raised with regards to min-maxing and future products (i.e., not necessarily cambion characters).

Speaking of which, do designers tend to double-check on such possibilities, i.e. min/maxing? While I accept that this style of play is an popular option for some, I hope that for the sake of flair and background, classes/races/etc. are not toned down because of this.

Thanks in advance, Zanan!

Cave quid dicis, quando et cui!

Gęš a wyrd swa hio scel!

In memory of Alura Durshavin.

Visit my "Homepage" to find A Guide to the Drow NPCs of Faerūn, Drow and non-Drow PrC and much more.

Edited by - Zanan on 29 Apr 2007 10:32:49
Go to Top of Page

RichardBaker

129 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2007 :  02:03:29  Show Profile  Visit RichardBaker's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hmmm, +5 sounds like a mistake to me. We wouldn't have done that on purpose.

And yes, we are *always* conscious of power balance issues. We often cut overpowered race or class designs "down to size" without regard to story and background concerns. Balancing the game is more important to us than making a race or class "interesting." To be fair, we try hard to accomplish both goals with everything we do. But sometimes we miss something.

quote:
Originally posted by Zanan

Hello Mr. Baker!

Some people over at the German boards mentioned with surprise that the cambion template included in Expedition to the Demonweb Pits shows uneven ability modifiers, e.g. +5 for STR. Given that this goes against the traditional usage of such bonuses, are we going to see more of this in the future?
I for one would not have any problems, as "monster" ability scores start off with 10 or 11 anyway, yet some concerns were raised with regards to min-maxing and future products (i.e., not necessarily cambion characters).

Speaking of which, do designers tend to double-check on such possibilities, i.e. min/maxing? While I accept that this style of play is an popular option for some, I hope that for the sake of flair and background, classes/races/etc. are not toned down because of this.

Thanks in advance, Zanan!

Rich Baker
Go to Top of Page

RichardBaker

129 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2007 :  02:05:53  Show Profile  Visit RichardBaker's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'd have to go look through the later books of War of the Spider Queen to figure that out, since I don't know off the top of my head. I haven't looked at the back half of the series in a couple of years, really.

Glad you liked City of Ravens--it's one of my favorites!

quote:
Whilst we're on the topic, and I'm not sure it happened in Condemnation but sadly I can't remember which, do you happen to know how Nimor escaped when Gromph trapped him in the plane of shadow? I couldn't remember and neither could Reefy who's just read the series, and no one on candlekeep has offered a solution yet.

If you don't know the answer then I understand but I thought I'd try. Oh and I realise it's a long time ago but I read city of Ravens recently and I 'loved' all the intrigue of the balls. I've started reading Masquerades and deep down I was hoping it would offer something close to City of Ravens

Rich Baker
Go to Top of Page

Kaladorm
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1176 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2007 :  14:46:19  Show Profile  Visit Kaladorm's Homepage Send Kaladorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ah it was worth a shot. The fact no one seems to know leads me to believe that it was just missed out, but the books are still fresh enough in my mind that I don't fancy reading through them all again to work out the time between when he disappears and when he reappears.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2007 :  01:49:40  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hiya Rich,

If you could, could you help me answer a few questions?

In your adventure in Dungeon #101 you give a list of prisoners and five of them are from one caravan and three are from another.

Could you, if you remember, I know that this adventure came out 6 years ago, put who is in what caravan? Also, could you list their gender and race for each? The article just says they are male or female and human or dwarven, but I don't like guessing on which is which.

I need the info for my NPC file.

The prisoners are:

Dreth
Edsard
Hela
Ilsa
Morrin
Staarvid
Thurgan
Welsil

Genders are also needed for:

Andremel
Belindara (I'm guessing this one is female :))
Jhovar

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 11 May 2007 01:58:14
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 12 May 2007 :  02:09:17  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Kuje, here is Rich's reply from WotC -

quote:
Originally posted by Rich Baker

In all honesty, your guess is as good as mine. Put the NPCs anywhere you want 'em.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Penknight
Senior Scribe

USA
538 Posts

Posted - 31 May 2007 :  02:18:30  Show Profile Send Penknight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Greetings and salutations once again, Mr. Baker. I was wondering something about the mythal surrounding Myth Drannor:

*Spoiler Alert*

After the reclamation of the City of Song, will the mythal be able to keep out the remaining fey'ri, or will there still be a way for them to slip in (as a wolf in sheeps clothing) and wreak havoc on the internal affairs of the elven People as they struggle to find their place once again on Faerūn, the land so cherished and loved by their ancestors?

Also, another quick question, but this time about Silverymoon... I know that the mythal there keeps outsiders from entering into the city, but what about fey'ri and tieflings? Since they are native outsiders, can they make their way in?

I would also like to say thank you for your time and all of your hard work on the new novels and sourcebooks. I and my players greatly appreciate what you and the other game designers have done to "flesh out" characters, classes and races. So again, a huge thanks from my four players and I.

Telethian Phoenix
Pathfinder Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

Penknight
Senior Scribe

USA
538 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2007 :  20:12:32  Show Profile Send Penknight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello again. I have a question about a monster from 2nd Edition that I have been wondering about as of late. Long ago in 2nd Edition there was a monster that appeared in Elves of Evermeet that really caught my fancy. They were the Reverend Ones, and I have been wondering if Reverend Ones made a reappearance in 3.5 if they would be just a monster/creature like the Baelnorn or if they would be a template that you added to an existing creature with elven blood? Also, are there any plans on placing them in any upcoming game products? Thank you, sir.

Telethian Phoenix
Go to Top of Page

TomCosta
Forgotten Realms Designer

USA
954 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2007 :  20:37:10  Show Profile Send TomCosta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's not official, but I did a work up of them in Bestiary of the Realms 2 http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/monsters.html and I think the Creature Catalogue has a different take.
Go to Top of Page

Penknight
Senior Scribe

USA
538 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2007 :  03:27:09  Show Profile Send Penknight a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TomCosta

It's not official, but I did a work up of them in Bestiary of the Realms 2 http://www.ericlboyd.com/dnd/monsters.html and I think the Creature Catalogue has a different take.

Thank you, sir. I'll give it a good look.

Telethian Phoenix
Go to Top of Page

althen artren
Senior Scribe

USA
780 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2007 :  17:36:11  Show Profile Send althen artren a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello Rich, I have some questions about Last Mythral.

Shadowdale, Daggerdale, Deepingdale soldiers were all involved in the siege of Myth Drannor. Archendale did not. Were any other dales soldiers present in the final siege?

I have the idea of Myth Drannor not taxing its citizens for a little bit and living off the treasures claimed by the returning elves as they clear out and reclaim the city Did the Shades clean stuff out in return of the Archwizards or is there still enough treasure around to enrich many kingdoms.

After the end of the novels, is there still a sizable infernal population running around in Cormanthor to justify random encounters?

Will the Word of Potency or the Ritual to Summon Revered Ones reach print anytime soon? Are there any discussions for a sourcebook or at least updates such as whether or not Sembia withdrew from the Southern Dales?

Also, can you give us a rough % of the gates that are now broken across the Realms with the destruction of the Fhoeldin Durr?

Edited by - althen artren on 25 Jun 2007 17:45:27
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 20 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000