Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Richard Lee Byers
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 57

Lameth
Learned Scribe

Germany
196 Posts

Posted - 16 Dec 2004 :  23:31:15  Show Profile  Visit Lameth's Homepage Send Lameth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
thx for the info
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2005 :  23:09:18  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Richard

Firstly, i'm currently reading The Rite (which i've posted a few comments on just here), and what an amazing book!!

I just wondered where (if anywhere) you obtained the information for the Monastery of the Yellow Rose? I haven't read much on this location but it's been an intriguing place for me in the Realms for a long time so it was a pleasure to read so much about it in your novel. Can you also provide any additional information on the place? (you must know it like the back of your hand by now ) I could really picture the place from the way you described the architecture and layout. Excellent!

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2005 :  00:45:23  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Lord Rad: The only info I could find on the Monastery of the Yellow Rose was in the Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting and an older sourcebook called The Bloodstone Lands. And there wasn't a lot of it. So I took what there was as my jumping-off point and winged it from there. Pretty much everything I bothered to work out is right there in the novel, so unfortunately, I can't give you a bunch of extra facts.
Glad you're enjoying the book.
Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2005 :  10:34:22  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by norticus

Triel herself says "i didnt have to think about the subject, my advisors will take care of it."
she doesnt take and want any responsibilities
what a wonderful leader... :)

Triel was happy being the Matron-Mistress of the Academy, she had no ambitions to replace her mother. But once the old Matron Baenre died, who in their right mind would allow someone to take a position that is rightfully theirs? (especially in Drow society)

News of the Weird

D20 System Reference Document
D20 Modern System Reference Document
Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2005 :  10:50:13  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Richard,
Sorry if this has been asked and answered already. Did wade through 80% of the posts before my eyes started to water.

Is there any special reason why the dragons in the Year of Rogue Dragons series don't have their elemental immunities? i.e. Gold Dragons being affected by Fire?

Thanks

News of the Weird

Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2005 :  14:40:07  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My rationalization is that golds would be resistant to flame, but that an extremely hot fire, like the breath of another gold or a red, might still injure them. In the real world, anything made of matter is suspceptible to damage by heat, if the heat is intense enough.
(You don't expect me to come right out and admit I screwed up even if I really did, do you?)
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2005 :  15:00:48  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lee Byers

My rationalization is that golds would be resistant to flame, but that an extremely hot fire, like the breath of another gold or a red, might still injure them. In the real world, anything made of matter is suspceptible to damage by heat, if the heat is intense enough.
(You don't expect me to come right out and admit I screwed up even if I really did, do you?)

Actually, in most tales, dragons remain vulnerable to the breath weapons of their own kind, regardless of other immunities. So a red dragon may be quite comfortable in a volcano, but he'd still have to worry about being flamed by a gold or another red.

So no, it's not a screw-up.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 22 Jan 2005 15:05:19
Go to Top of Page

Elfinblade
Senior Scribe

Norway
377 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2005 :  16:08:54  Show Profile Send Elfinblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mr. Byers.
I am a huge fan of your FR books. i bought the rage a week ago, and i thought it was awesome! i havent bought the rite just yet, but i`ll get there. i have a few questions:

Where did you gather all the information you needed on dragonlore? and how much of it did you come up with yourself? Could you do anything you wanted with the dragons? And the storyline? Or was there things that were planned in advance by others? Things you had to stick to?
Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2005 :  19:01:12  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mr. Byers, I have a question about Gareth Dragonsbane and his friends. You mentioned several characters in The Rite that the King of Damara had travelled with when he fought the Witch-King Zhengyi, such as Kane, the monk who used to run the Monastery of the Yellow Rose.

Where did you find this information about Gareth Dragonsbane and his companions and what made you decide to give them a big part in your book? The only place I saw that had a tiny bit of information was in FRCS, and that was really vague with no detailed lore.

"Trust in the shadows, for the bright way makes you an easy target." -Mask
Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2005 :  20:09:15  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DDH_101

Mr. Byers, I have a question about Gareth Dragonsbane and his friends. You mentioned several characters in The Rite that the King of Damara had travelled with when he fought the Witch-King Zhengyi, such as Kane, the monk who used to run the Monastery of the Yellow Rose.

Where did you find this information about Gareth Dragonsbane and his companions and what made you decide to give them a big part in your book? The only place I saw that had a tiny bit of information was in FRCS, and that was really vague with no detailed lore.

The old Bloodstone series of modules (they were pregenerated characters, if I recall correctly) and also the Bloodstone Lands? region sourcebook from I think it was 2E.

News of the Weird

Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2005 :  20:10:52  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Richard,
Thanks for the prompt reply. And yeah, does make sense in a way
So we'll forgive ya just this once
Keep up the good work!

News of the Weird

Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2005 :  21:29:51  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I pulled the info on Gareth Dragonsbane and his sidekicks out of the old sourcebook The Bloodstone Lands.
The dragonlore in the novels is all pretty much courtesy of established sources: Monster Manual, the original Draconomicon, the new Draconomicon, etc.
As far as being free to do what I liked with the story, Wizards basically said, we want a story that showcases the dragons of the Realms, involves a Rage of Dragons, and ties into the "Year of Rogue Dragons." And I took it from there. Of course, Wizards could have and would have vetoed anything in my plot that they felt would be bad for the Realms considered either as a fictional or gaming property, but they didn't object to anything I proposed.
Go to Top of Page

DDH_101
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1272 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2005 :  23:05:59  Show Profile  Visit DDH_101's Homepage Send DDH_101 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Bloodstone Lands? Hmm... never heard of it.

BTW, Mr. Byers, would more major NPCs appear in the last book? I'm not asking for you to reveal or spoil anything but are there NPCs like Gareth Dragonsbane that gets involved in the story?

"Trust in the shadows, for the bright way makes you an easy target." -Mask
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2005 :  02:03:59  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

BTW, Mr. Byers, would more major NPCs appear in the last book? I'm not asking for you to reveal or spoil anything but are there NPCs like Gareth Dragonsbane that gets involved in the story?

'Twas part of the FR series of mostly regional supplements. FR9, to be exact. There was 16 of them, 15 sourcebooks and one boxed set, and most of them were regional -- Waterdeep and the North, Moonshae, Shining South, Old Empires, etc. A couple of others focused on other things: Gold & Glory was about mercenary companies in the Realms, Dwarves Deep was about dwarves, The Magister was about stuff magical...

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2005 :  04:45:45  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

A link featuring some brief information about the tome.
Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2005 :  12:57:14  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

'Twas part of the FR series of mostly regional supplements. FR9, to be exact. There was 16 of them, 15 sourcebooks and one boxed set, and most of them were regional -- Waterdeep and the North, Moonshae, Shining South, Old Empires, etc. A couple of others focused on other things: Gold & Glory was about mercenary companies in the Realms, Dwarves Deep was about dwarves, The Magister was about stuff magical...

Yep, those are some of my most used source material. Even if they are "outdated" they do go into more detail in the various regions than the FRCS does.
The various new regional sourcebooks just provide even more material and updated material.

News of the Weird

Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2005 :  16:57:02  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
At least one additional powerful preexisting character will show up in The Ruin. More than that, I ain't sayin'.
What the heck, I guess I will go ahead and announce something else, though. It turns out I'm doing Queen of the Depths, a novel in the Priests sequence. It's a Year of Rogue Dragons tie-in (think of it as YoRD 2.5) and those who've wondered how the Rage and all the associated ruckus are affecting portions of Faerūn not depicted in the trilogy may want to check it out.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2005 :  19:29:53  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
What the heck, I guess I will go ahead and announce something else, though. It turns out I'm doing Queen of the Depths, a novel in the Priests sequence. It's a Year of Rogue Dragons tie-in (think of it as YoRD 2.5) and those who've wondered how the Rage and all the associated ruckus are affecting portions of Faerūn not depicted in the trilogy may want to check it out.

That novel was originally planned for a September 2005 release. Do you know how far it will be pushed back now?

So from dragons to writing about Umberlee and her followers? You do like destructive forces it seems.
Go to Top of Page

Lord Rad
Great Reader

United Kingdom
2080 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2005 :  21:06:42  Show Profile  Visit Lord Rad's Homepage Send Lord Rad a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Wow!
I thought something wasn't quite right when Kameron Franklin stated that his book was to be changed from book 4 to book 3. Good luck with Queen of the Depths, Richard, i'm quite looking forward to that one

Are you able to give reason as to why Voronica isn't writing it anymore? Have you taken over her story or are you starting from scratch?

Lord Rad

"What? No, I wasn't reading your module. I was just looking at the pictures"
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2005 :  21:27:45  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Queen of the Depths has not been pushed back. It's still coming out in September of this year.
Which works well for anyone reading it as kinda sorta part of Year of Rogue Dragons, because the story in QotD is happening at the same time as The Rite.
I have absolutely no idea why the project wound up with me instead of continuing with Voronica. (I'm so profoundly ignorant on this particular subject that I didn't even know the previous writer was Voronica until I saw the info posted here a minute ago.) All I can tell you is, I was asked to do it, and I said yes.
I'm not working from a previously existing outline or anything like that. I made up my own plot.
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2005 :  21:37:22  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
I have absolutely no idea why the project wound up with me instead of continuing with Voronica. (I'm so profoundly ignorant on this particular subject that I didn't even know the previous writer was Voronica until I saw the info posted here a minute ago.)

See how helpful Candlekeep scribes can be?

quote:

I'm not working from a previously existing outline or anything like that. I made up my own plot.

I know you can't tell much. But, can you at least let us know where in Faerun the story will be set?
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2005 :  22:57:45  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It might also be useful, if you haven't already, to read up on the Orglara, the Shell of Spells, a "spellbook" dedicated to Umberlee, written up in Ed's "Prayers From the Faithful" game accessory. It notes some titles and other aspects of Umberlee's church.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2005 :  00:48:18  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Queen of the Depths is set in and around the Sea of Fallen Stars.
George: Thanks for the tip.
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2005 :  04:15:46  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
hmmm

Wizards seem to have a thing for changing authors lately, first Mel Odom with Ressurection and now Vornica with Queen of the Depths....

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2005 :  04:21:17  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Thank you for providing the information on the setting. I look forward to reading this novel when it comes out.

quote:
Originally posted by Dargoth
Wizards seem to have a thing for changing authors lately, first Mel Odom with Ressurection and now Vornica with Queen of the Depths....

Plus the Mistress of the Night switch form one author to two.
Go to Top of Page

Dargoth
Great Reader

Australia
4607 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2005 :  04:56:38  Show Profile  Visit Dargoth's Homepage Send Dargoth a Private Message  Reply with Quote

You could also try and get some info out of Rich Baker regarding Maelstrom its not an FR book but you could probably pull a monsters or spells out of it and put it in the FR

“I am the King of Rome, and above grammar”

Emperor Sigismund

"Its good to be the King!"

Mel Brooks
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2005 :  05:23:17  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

George: Thanks for the tip.

No problems Richard, best of luck with it!

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

wwwwwww
Learned Scribe

116 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2005 :  13:45:52  Show Profile  Visit wwwwwww's Homepage Send wwwwwww a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Mr. Byers,

You mentioned that Queen of the Depths will be like a Year of Rogue Dragons tie-in (2.5). Will it still be readable as a story in itself, without prior knowledge of certain events? The reason I ask is that there will be people who pick up the book that haven't read YotRD and will be thinking the book is a stand-alone. Will you make that possible? I think it would be a good idea to accommodate these readers. Anyway, thanks for your great efforts with FR.
Go to Top of Page

warlockco
Master of Realmslore

USA
1695 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2005 :  15:20:16  Show Profile  Visit warlockco's Homepage Send warlockco a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wwwwwww

Mr. Byers,

You mentioned that Queen of the Depths will be like a Year of Rogue Dragons tie-in (2.5). Will it still be readable as a story in itself, without prior knowledge of certain events? The reason I ask is that there will be people who pick up the book that haven't read YotRD and will be thinking the book is a stand-alone. Will you make that possible? I think it would be a good idea to accommodate these readers. Anyway, thanks for your great efforts with FR.

From all indications it is a stand alone novel. Just the Dragon Rage is going on while the novel is also going on. Anything that affects the entire realms will have an effect on anything else occuring at the same time.

This is not DC Comics, where Gotham City could be burning in Batman, yet in Superman, the city is okay.
This is more like Marvel Comics, where if New York is a crater in Spiderman, it will be a Crater in Avengers also.

News of the Weird

Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2005 :  17:44:01  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Queen of the Depths will work perfectly well as a stand-alone for people who aren't reading Year of Rogue Dragons.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 57 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000