Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Richard Lee Byers
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 57

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2015 :  16:25:30  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You've previously stated here in the Keep that you'd forgotten that you'd used the name Anton Marivaldi in Queen of the Depths when you wrote The Reaver. Would you be willing to say if they were related or not?

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/

Edited by - hashimashadoo on 22 May 2015 16:26:00
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 22 May 2015 :  23:00:11  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I think they're probably related.
Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2015 :  13:58:47  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Cheers for that sirrah.

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 07 Jun 2015 :  15:02:24  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I will be at Metricon in Tampa this coming Saturday doing panels in the SF/Fantasy track during the afternoon. Naturally, if anyone would like a book signed, I'll be glad to do that, too.

http://www.metroconventions.com
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 11 Jun 2015 :  05:54:36  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I was on the Pulp Talk Podcast Episode 1.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SvYIHfbBXrs
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 12 Jun 2015 :  16:18:27  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My novelette "The Gold Bugs Affair," my first contribution to the Basil & Moebius saga, is available now. I hope you'll check it out. (And when you do, please take a look at the other Basil & Moebius adventures by Timothy Zahn#8203;, Larry Hama, and series creator Ryan Schifrin#8203;.

http://www.amazon.com/Gold-Affair-Basil-Moebius-Adventure-ebook/dp/B00ZGM3FNQ/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1434120205&sr=8-3&keywords=basil+moebius
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2015 :  22:19:56  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have a story in NONBINARY REVIEW #5, the King in Yellow issue.

From that, horror fans will understand that my story spins out of Robert W. Chambers's mythology of cosmic fear. But I also want to mention that my story features swordplay and stars Aldo Nadi, often considered the greatest fencer of the 20th Century. So sword-and-sorcery fans and fencers may like this one, too.

You can get the story by downloading the free Lithomobilus app. When you do, you will get five issues of NONBINARY REVIEW including the one with my story for free along with it. The app runs on iPads and iPhones.

Here's the link:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/lithomobilus/id968469878?mt=8
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2015 :  05:45:23  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I was on Episode Two of the Pulp Talk Podcast with Derrick Ferguson, Gary Phillips, Steven Ross, and host Percival Constantine. You can catch that on iTunes or click on the link below to listen it on YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_6EG37YO8dI
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2015 :  02:15:24  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
At the moment, this is my Gen Co 2015; schedule. (You never know, more stuff might get added at the last minute.)

THURSDAY

9 AM – Business of Writing 101, ICC 244

11 AM – Where to Start the Story (Moderator), ICC 243

2 PM – When to Show, When to Tell, ICC 245

3 PM – Professional Organizations, ICC 244

FRIDAY

Noon – Paizo author signing, Paizo area, dealer's hall

3 PM – Authors to Inspire You, ICC 244

6 PM – Epiphanies and Defining Moments, ICC 245

SATURDAY

Noon – Paizo author signing, Paizo area, dealer's hall

2 PM – Sentient Non-Humans, ICC 244

SUNDAY

Noon – Satisfying Conclusions, ICC 242

Please remember that even though they're free, it's a good idea to get a ticket for Gen Con Writer's Symposium seminars. That guarantees that you will get in. It also allows us to show the head honchos of Gen Con that people are interested in our programming track. In other words, it makes sure that we will be back in 2016.

Edited by - Richard Lee Byers on 02 Jul 2015 02:16:34
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 16 Jul 2015 :  17:34:21  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
From Privateer Press: New Iron Kingdoms fantasy stories by Aeryn Rudel, William Shick, and me.

http://www.amazon.com/Iron-Kingdoms-Excursions-Season-Book-ebook/dp/B011QH2R06/ref=sr_1_14?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1437062009&sr=1-14&keywords=skull+island+expeditions&pebp=1437062022678&perid=11431FJJ54R1WC35CJK5
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2015 :  21:32:56  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
A bunch of excellent horror writers have new stories in the new anthology BLOOD SUSHI, and there's also something new from me. It drops August 10th, but you can preorder it right now. Just follow the link:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B011VCXY6C
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2015 :  15:35:37  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Available now: BLOOD SUSHI! New stories by a bunch of terrific horror writers plus a little something new from me.

http://www.amazon.com/Blood-Sushi-Richard-Dansky-ebook/dp/B011VCXY6C/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1438611924&sr=1-1&keywords=blood+sushi
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2015 :  06:06:25  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Available now! CTHULHU FHTAGN! is an anthology of new Lovecraftian fiction. A bunch of terrific weird fiction writers contributed, and somehow I snuck in, too. You can check it out here:

http://www.amazon.com/Cthulhu-Fhtagn-Laird-Barron-ebook/dp/B0127TCT8C/ref=tmm_kin_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1439527758&sr=8-1
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2015 :  14:35:52  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the kind words, Steven Kelliher! May Hollywood heed your wisdom!

http://www.toplessrobot.com/2015/08/dungeons_dragons_dd_movie_universe_forgotten_realm.php
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2015 :  20:37:01  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
SCHRODINGER’S D&D/FORGOTTEN REALMS MOVIE

We won’t know how the forthcoming supposedly big-budget D&D/Forgotten Realms movie has turned out until we go to the multiplex to see it. But I can imagine a couple different scenarios.

In one aspect of the quantum superposition…

The Michael Bay of BLACK SAILS is hired to mastermind the project.

A brain trust of people with considerable knowledge not only of D&D but the Forgotten Realms, the sourcebooks and fiction both, headed up by Ed Greenwood and comparable to the circle of comic-book professionals who consult on the Disney Marvel movies, provides input as to what the story should be.

The creators try to come up with a plot appreciably different than the plots of other fantasy films of recent years, and one that exploits material unique to the Realms.

The creators don’t feel the need to stuff in all the basic character classes and races of D&D whether they help the story or not.

And (if everything comes together properly) the cat lives!

In the other aspect of the quantum superposition…

The Michael Bay of TRANSFORMERS is hired to mastermind the project.

No one who works on the project has any knowledge of the hundreds of sourcebooks and novels that have developed the Realms. Nobody sees that as a problem. The writer is given the three core D&D rulebooks and the most recent edition of the FORGOTTEN REALMS CAMPAIGN SETTING and told to have at it.

The moviemakers are mainly concerned with two things:

The first is making a D&D movie as opposed a Realms movie. They make sure to stuff in all the basic character classes (fighter, magic user, cleric, rogue) and player-character races (human, elf, dwarf, halfling) whether this helps to tell a good story or not. Meanwhile, the Realms mostly serve as a simple source of place names and such. (“We need a land where the good people live. I guess this Cormyr will do.”)

The second is making a movie that hits all the same beats as the Tolkien films, because they earned a kajillion dollars and besides, that’s what fantasy is, right? Thus, the new movie serves up the usual fellowship of heroes undertaking a quest to defeat a world-threatening dark lord, and not anything less clichéd or overblown.

And (unless we’re lucky) the cat dies!

That’s how I see the situation, anyway.

Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2015 :  18:58:41  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Aeryn Rudel interviewed me for his blog "Rejectomancy." You can read that here:

http://rejectomancy.com/2015/08/17/ranks-of-the-rejected-richard-lee-byers/

Edited by - Richard Lee Byers on 19 Aug 2015 21:31:57
Go to Top of Page

Xar Zarath
Senior Scribe

Malaysia
552 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2015 :  14:32:49  Show Profile Send Xar Zarath a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi, Mr Byers. Will there be another Brotherhood of the Griffon book anytime soon? Due to the events of Prophet of the Dead, I know that there will a quest to undo Jhesrhi's condition, so what else are you planning?

Everything ends where it begins. Period.

Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2015 :  13:57:59  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi, Xar. Unfortunately, I do not have a contract to do any more Forgotten Realms novels. The publisher knows I'm interested, so the ball's in their court. They will either ask or they won't.

Meanwhile, I hope readers who enjoyed my work in the Realms will check out my other projects like my forthcoming trilogy of Iron Kingdoms novels.
Go to Top of Page

Veritas
Learned Scribe

209 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2015 :  15:22:12  Show Profile  Visit Veritas's Homepage Send Veritas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lee Byers

The movie will perform terribly. I suspect almost everyone feels that deep in their hearts.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2015 :  17:50:08  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Veritas

quote:

The movie will perform terribly. I suspect almost everyone feels that deep in their hearts.

Not I. I reserve judgement for when I have solid information on something. So I'm not judging the movie until I've seen trailers, at the very least.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Rymac
Learned Scribe

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2015 :  19:22:31  Show Profile  Visit Rymac's Homepage Send Rymac a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Veritas

I'm with Wooly. It's way to early to judge the outcome. When we learn (if it ever gets that far) who (or whom) is chosen to produce it and who will direct it, that will give us better insight.

As an example, who would have thought five years ago that Guardians of the Galaxy would be made, let alone be a huge success? Yea, other Marvel movies paved the way, but they were more conventional superhero stories. In the same manner, we've seen The Lord of the Rings, the Hobbit films, some of the Chronicles of Narnia books as films.

If there is a good script, and good crew and cast, and the money is spent wisely, a Forgotten Realms movie could blow people away.
Go to Top of Page

Bruce Donohue
Learned Scribe

Canada
131 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2015 :  10:29:08  Show Profile Send Bruce Donohue a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello Richard,

I read your highlighted article from Rejectomy. It gave a good perspective on the rejection process. Can you give us a clue on an acceptance letter looks like and then the process it undertakes from that point until publication? As well from those that you have been accepted and given the green light to complete, what do you think some of the key elements were that made in such a success to go forward? Do certain points have a basic commonality that you have noticed in so much as in similarities as those that get rejected? How do you make a first draft so clean?
Go to Top of Page

Hippo
Acolyte

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2015 :  18:42:14  Show Profile Send Hippo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

my forthcoming trilogy of Iron Kingdoms novels.

Holy smokes! Any chance you can hint at which faction(s) will be playing a big part in the books?!

Also Hello!

I was also curious if you play any IKRPG or WarmaHordes yourself?

Did you know your website link in your profile links to your old website which links to a weight loss and cellulite website?

Thanks!

Edit to include last two questions.

Edited by - Hippo on 05 Sep 2015 20:04:13
Go to Top of Page

Veritas
Learned Scribe

209 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2015 :  19:28:17  Show Profile  Visit Veritas's Homepage Send Veritas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Richard,

Szass Tam has been on my mind lately and I recalled how you wrote him as believing himself to be the world's most powerful wizard. Granted Tam is exceptionally mighty and may well have reason to believe he could defeat his famous peers like the Simbul, Khelben, Elminster or even possibly Telamont Tanthul. Tam, however, had been recorded as having met with Larloch and had been terrified by the Netherese Archwizard at the time. I somehow doubt that he believed his personal might outstripped Larloch at any point, at least prior to his intended ascension. He didn't become one of the mightiest wizards on Faerun by making a career of overestimating himself. I was curious if you recall your thoughts when you were writing him up that way. Did he really believe he was unmatched or was that more of a writing device to show the reader how far he outclassed any of the zulkirs and other characters in the story?

Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2015 :  21:46:12  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bruce: Acceptance letters typically just say the editor liked your story and wants to buy it. In the case of a novel, there will then typically be an offer of terms and some sort of contract negotiation. Then, if you sold on proposal, you will have to write the remainder of the novel. If you wrote the whole thing prior to selling, then obviously that bit of work is already done. Either way, the editor will almost certainly give you suggestions for revisions, and you will then rewrite. At some point after that, you should see a the copyedited "final" version of the story to go over and make sure all the copyeditor's changes are acceptable and to give you once more chance to catch fiddly little errors.

When you sell a short story, it's a simplified version of the same process. There typically won't have to be a contract negotiation. You knew what terms were offered before you submitted, and it's a take-it-or-leave-it situation. You rarely sell on proposal. You may conceivably pitch your idea in certain situations, but you will almost always have to write the whole story before an editor gives you a definite yes or no. It is less likely that the editor will request a big revision and more likely that he won't ask for one at all.

I'm not sure I know how to answer your question about why some stories get accepted and some rejected. Obviously, some of the ones that get rejected are bad, but you don't need me to tell you that. Beyond that, I would say that writers who get accepted pay attention to the guidelines and are persistent and professional about submitting their work. If you're reading Aeryn's blog, it's the same stuff he's talking about.

My submissions tend to be pretty clean because I go over them a bunch of times revising and polishing. I wish I had the gift for turning out a publishable story on the first try, but I don't.
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2015 :  21:51:10  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hippo: My Iron Kingdoms trilogy continues the adventures of the Black River Irregulars, who have already starred in my novella MURDER IN CORVIS. If you're interested, you can find that here:

http://www.amazon.com/Murder-Corvis-Richard-Lee-Byers-ebook/dp/B00NX4E94S/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1442263616&sr=1-1&keywords=murder+in+corvis

I must admit that I have not yet played the games myself.

Yes, I do know that my old website address got appropriated. I could probably ransom it back, but what with all the opportunities to promote oneself on social media, I don't feel a huge need to have my own website at present, and of course when I do, I can just create one under a different address.
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2015 :  22:00:50  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Veritas: It's been a while since I wrote Szass Tam, but I don't think I ever said that he believed he was the most powerful wizard in the Realms. As I envision him, he would not believe such a thing if it were not in fact true. He's a different kind of crazy.

I did depict him as believing himself superior to the other zulkirs and everybody else who comes onstage during the course of my trilogy. I thought the material I consulted prior to writing the novels supported such a portrayal. And as you see, in my story he pretty much turns out to be right.
Go to Top of Page

Hippo
Acolyte

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2015 :  01:19:34  Show Profile Send Hippo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hippo: My Iron Kingdoms trilogy continues the adventures of the Black River Irregulars, who have already starred in my novella MURDER IN CORVIS. If you're interested, you can find that here:

http://www.amazon.com/Murder-Corvis-Richard-Lee-Byers-ebook/dp/B00NX4E94S/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1442263616&sr=1-1&keywords=murder+in+corvis

And purchased! Fantastic to learn that you have a hand in Warmachine now.
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2015 :  20:39:52  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Philip Athans discusses prologues. I contributed my thoughts to the conversation.

https://fantasyhandbook.wordpress.com/2015/09/15/dont-be-hatin-on-prologues/

Edited by - Richard Lee Byers on 15 Sep 2015 20:40:30
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2015 :  17:04:01  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
WHISPERS FROM THE ABYSS VOLUME 2 is available now as an eBook (paperback coming next year)! This is a new Lovecraftian anthology edited by Kat Rocha and full of stories by great Mythos writers like Laird Barron and Orrin Grey, plus you get something new from me. If you're interested, you can check it out here:

http://www.amazon.com/Whispers-Abyss-horrors-that-shall-ebook/dp/B0165N1WRU/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_2?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1444060196&sr=1-2-fkmr1&keywords=whispers+from+the+abyss+volume+2

Edited by - Richard Lee Byers on 05 Oct 2015 17:05:49
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 57 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000