Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Richard Lee Byers
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 57

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2013 :  22:57:46  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Anybody near Gainesville? I will be at SwamCon this weekend. It's a rare creature, an SF convention with free admission. More info here:

http://swampcon.com
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2013 :  00:54:47  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In Red Rune Canyon - Chapter One: A Difference of Opinion by Richard is up over at Paizo.

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2013 :  02:49:31  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kajehase

In Red Rune Canyon - Chapter One: A Difference of Opinion by Richard is up over at Paizo.

Neato! Lunchtime reading at work.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2013 :  13:35:57  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Oh, cool! I didn't know. Last time I looked, it wasn't there yet.
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2013 :  15:04:20  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
They usually put the blog up around the time I wake up, and the laptop usually ends up parked next to the bed, so...

There is a rumour going around that I have found god. I think is unlikely because I have enough difficulty finding my keys, and there is empirical evidence that they exist.
Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

ile
Acolyte

14 Posts

Posted - 10 Jan 2013 :  21:34:40  Show Profile  Visit ile's Homepage Send ile a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

Happy New Year, Richard.

Prophet of the Dead is just a month away. Don't we get to see a sample chapter?

http://www.wizards.com/DnD/Product.aspx?x=dnd/products/frnovel/prophetdead
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2013 :  00:21:24  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Once again, somebody knows what's going on with my stuff before I do. Thank you for the heads up.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2013 :  10:06:37  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Thanks, ile! ;)

Richard, will we see more of Szass Tam in this book? Did Sarshethrian appear in your previous books that I might have forgotten? Is he an undead lord or something?

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Xar Zarath
Senior Scribe

Malaysia
552 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2013 :  12:02:27  Show Profile Send Xar Zarath a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Richard, got a question and so sorry its late(in terms of the time span)

In Undead, when the Zulkirs were going to gather at Samas Kul's private "yatch" Nevron was riding a fiend with the body of a green dragon that had a woman's head, can that creature be found in any sourcebook or was it a product of your fertile imagination?

Everything ends where it begins. Period.

Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2013 :  14:17:27  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi, guys.

Dennis: Szass Tam does not appear in Prophet of the Dead.

Sarshethrian does not appear in any of my previous books. In technical D&D terms, I left his precise "type" (god, demon, devil, or what have you) deliberately undefined. But you can find out everything else about him in Prophet of the Dead.

Xar: You realize, it's been a while since I wrote that novel, but if I recall correctly, I made up that particular fiend. I feel relatively free to do that, because somewhere in D&D lore, it says that the netherworld is swarming with an amazing variety of fiends. The ones detailed in the various sourcebooks are just a small sample of what's out there.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2013 :  14:27:09  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Thanks, Richard. That's one of the things I like about you---you always come up with interesting villains, and if they're "existing" (like Szass Tam and Iyraclea), you bring out the best in them. I hope to see more of Sarshethrian---and of course, of Aoth, Jet, and the rest of the Brotherhood.

Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2013 :  16:23:10  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The current plan is for more novels about the Brotherhood, just not right away. Next up is THE REAVER, my contribution to the Sundering sequence.
Go to Top of Page

Xar Zarath
Senior Scribe

Malaysia
552 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2013 :  08:16:00  Show Profile Send Xar Zarath a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is the main character a new creation or from the existing setting? (Sorry if this intrudes on the whole confidentiality thing, I fully understand if you dont answer this)

Everything ends where it begins. Period.

Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2013 :  12:56:44  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Xar: The protagonist of The Reaver is a new character.

And, on a completely different subject...

“Geekdom Uber Alles?” is my new post to The Night Bazzar:

http://night-bazaar.com/geekdom-uber-alles.html
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2013 :  16:00:10  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Lady Ssa - I want more!

Edit: ...I think I'm coming down with Twitterer's syndrome.

Terry Pratchett

Edited by - Kajehase on 12 Jan 2013 16:01:16
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2013 :  07:29:01  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lee Byers

The current plan is for more novels about the Brotherhood, just not right away. Next up is THE REAVER, my contribution to the Sundering sequence.
Aye. And hopefully the future Brotherhood novels will be released in hardbound.

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2013 :  07:35:42  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lee Byers

“Geekdom Uber Alles?” is my new post to The Night Bazzar:

http://night-bazaar.com/geekdom-uber-alles.html

This:

quote:
My argument here, though, is that it’s really not the entire genre of the fantastic that’s enjoyed great mainstream acceptance. It’s some individual works that are maximally accessible, often because they’re based on characters like Batman and Spider-Man or creatures like vampires and zombies that have been in play so long that everybody has some notion of who or what they are.
Agreed. And people I normally consider fantasy or sci-fi geeks are those who devour every single medium of the character or world they're very interested in. They don't just go and see Superman movies; they read the comics, too. They don't just see all the Harry Potter films ever made; they read the novels, too. And well, buy all sorts of merchandise inspired by those characters.

Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2013 :  00:06:45  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Kajehase: I'd like to do more with Lady Ssa/ If it turns out that Called to Darkness does well and Paizo commissions more Pathfinder novels from me, she could well turn up again.

Dennis: As you can probably guess, hardcover publication sounds good to me.
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2013 :  22:11:41  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If you're interested in my novel Pathfinder Tales: Called to Darkness but didn't get around to ordering it directly from Paizo, Amazon now has it in stock, so you can get it there as well:

http://www.amazon.com/Pathfinder-Tales-Richard-Lee-Byers/dp/1601254652/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1358201105&sr=1-1&keywords=pathfinder+tales+called+to+darkness
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2013 :  17:11:09  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Here's an interview with me focused mainly on Pathfinder Tales: Called to Darkness. The most recent podcast on the same site contains a review of the novel.

http://35privatesanctuary.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=486:private-companion-0001-kd-54&catid=58:private-companion&Itemid=67
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2013 :  23:21:39  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Part two of In Red Rune Canyon (the prequel novella for Called to Darkness

Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2013 :  12:16:05  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Hi, Richard!

Spoiler Question:

When you were conceptualizing the mega-plot of the whole Year of Rogue Dragons trilogy, before you wrote the final book, The Ruin, did you really plan on having Iyraclea killed, or did the idea come to you later? Also, since Iyraclea is essentially Ed's character, did you tell him of your plan on what to do with her in your series?

Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2013 :  12:58:34  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi, Dennis:

Question #1: The latter.

Question #2: No, I didn't, although in retrospect, that would probably have been a good idea. Obviously, I did have the approval of my editor, or I would have been told to change that. To be honest, to me, the character in question was simply one I pulled out of a sourcebook. I had not (and have not) read every single piece of Realmslore, and I wasn't aware of any special connection between the character in question and the person you mention.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2013 :  13:48:51  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Ah.I see. Thanks, Richard.

Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2013 :  14:07:11  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
“Sexism, Our Community, and Our Genre” is my new post to The Night Bazaar:

http://night-bazaar.com/sexism-our-community-and-our-genre.html
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2013 :  14:35:20  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
An interesting article, but I had to look up "cosplay controversy". My anecdotal experience is that "real" nerds are indeed socially awkward, especially around females, and will ogle like crazy but never dare approach or insult ... logically, this suggests that the non-nerds are the ones responsible for harassment, guys who just go to the party to hit on the hot chicks.

I share the positions you express in the essay, but I'm also of the opinion that girls who dress like Morrigan or Power Girl are not going to be timid sorts who fear the attention. I've overheard guys saying "she's asking for it", but that's just a cowardly self-justification to transfer the blame to the victim.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Kajehase
Great Reader

Sweden
2104 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2013 :  19:46:17  Show Profile Send Kajehase a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Part three of In Red Rune Canyon is up on the Paizo blog.

Terry Pratchett
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 26 Jan 2013 :  14:22:43  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My new post to The Night Bazaar is about racism in SF, fantasy, and horror:

http://night-bazaar.com/you-cant-win-or-can-you.html
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2013 :  16:08:08  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My new column on Airlock Alpha deals with Jack the Ripper in science fiction, fantasy, and horror. Check it out:

http://airlockalpha.com/node/9510/astrojive-rip-me-a-new-one.html
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2013 :  20:23:26  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The final chapter of "In Red Rune Canyon," my free Pathfinder web fiction serial, is now up. (The previous chapters are, of course, still available as well.)

http://paizo.com/pathfinder/tales/serial

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 57 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000