Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Richard Lee Byers
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 57

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2005 :  14:01:56  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Was it you who created Ryld? If so, what do you think of his fight against Jeggred in book 5? After all, Rylds performance there was completely sub-standard to what he did in book 1.

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2005 :  14:51:30  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I did create Ryld.
I don't have a problem with his demise. He was supposed to be a supremely able fighter, but the same is true of Jeggred, who had the advantage of being a monster to boot. You put two such opponents together and it's hard to preduct who'll win. It can come down to who's having a good day and who's having a bad one, who's the first to perceive a weakness in the other guy's defense, or pure luck.
Go to Top of Page

The Twin Scimitars
Seeker

USA
96 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2005 :  01:29:03  Show Profile  Visit The Twin Scimitars's Homepage Send The Twin Scimitars a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No.No!!!!!!!!!!!I still have yet to read book 5 and 6!Yall just ruined for it me! If anyone should die it should be Quenthel cause shes a real b****. Could yall please not say anything more of the storyline for my sake!

Endure, in enduring we grow strong.
-Dak'kon, Planescape Torment
Go to Top of Page

Paec_djinn
Learned Scribe

173 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2005 :  02:38:47  Show Profile  Visit Paec_djinn's Homepage Send Paec_djinn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That's the trouble I seemed to be having. Everytime I visit a author question thread, a lot of times I happen upon unmark spoilers. I stumbled upon the Ryld part in a spoiler thread so I found it my fault. But the Pharaun and Jeggred death I stumbled by reading Mr. Kemp's question thread in the Rasalvatore forums. It really pissed me off that stuff like that happens and people not really marking their spoilers.

As I was saying, the spoiler thread I don't mind, but it would really help me, since most FR books only release 3-6 months after the original release date if spoilers were marked in those non-spoiler threads like the Ask Authors and general threads.

EDIT: To make matters worse (I'm not singling out a single poster here) this is a thread of an author who I've finished almost all his books and expect questions to be about them and not WotSQ book 5-6 which I haven't read. I was pleasantly surprised to see one spoiler here but fortunately I already know about it.

Edited by - Paec_djinn on 25 Aug 2005 02:41:29
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2005 :  02:39:56  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My apologies, Twin Scimitars. I've been forgetting about spoiler warnings of late, but we really should use them.
Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2005 :  10:18:17  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Twin Scimitars

No.No!!!!!!!!!!!I still have yet to read book 5 and 6!Yall just ruined for it me! If anyone should die it should be Quenthel cause shes a real b****. Could yall please not say anything more of the storyline for my sake!

I`m sorry(bows head in shame)

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

The Twin Scimitars
Seeker

USA
96 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2005 :  02:15:37  Show Profile  Visit The Twin Scimitars's Homepage Send The Twin Scimitars a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The shock and saddness of my favorite character dying is...unmesurable. But Iam getting book 5 tommorow and I just finished Shadow Stone which is an amazing book.

Edited by - The Twin Scimitars on 26 Aug 2005 02:16:36
Go to Top of Page

Mournblade
Master of Realmslore

USA
1287 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2005 :  02:44:57  Show Profile Send Mournblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
THE only dissapointment I had was I wanted PHARAUN to FLAY Jeggred. I loved when Jeggred got put in his place.. but I really wish they could of shown Pharaun ending the deal.

A wizard is Never late Frodo Baggins. Nor is he Early. A wizard arrives precisely when he means to...
Go to Top of Page

The Twin Scimitars
Seeker

USA
96 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2005 :  03:26:11  Show Profile  Visit The Twin Scimitars's Homepage Send The Twin Scimitars a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well Im reading book 5 now and today came with some good news Hurricane Katrina is heading right toward mt city(Mobile) and they say its gonna be a major hurricane. So wish me luck! I might not post for a couple of weeks after Monday since thats when its supossed to hit and power will be out for a while.

And how many copies of WotSQ series have sold so far?

Edited by - The Twin Scimitars on 27 Aug 2005 04:06:56
Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2005 :  04:10:33  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Good luck with Katrina, TS. Living in Florida, I had plenty of opportunity last year to find out just how inconvenient hurricanes can be.
War of the Spider Queen has sold a lot of copies.
Go to Top of Page

The Twin Scimitars
Seeker

USA
96 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2005 :  04:30:45  Show Profile  Visit The Twin Scimitars's Homepage Send The Twin Scimitars a Private Message  Reply with Quote
First Ivan, then Dennis, and now...Katrina. Its supposed to go up Alabama-Mississpi line. Fredrick went that way and wiped out Mobile in 1979. So I guess Im in for it a third time.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 27 Aug 2005 :  06:27:50  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lee Byers

Good luck with Katrina, TS. Living in Florida, I had plenty of opportunity last year to find out just how inconvenient hurricanes can be.
War of the Spider Queen has sold a lot of copies.

Ditto that. I caught a piece of Charlie as it crossed the state. We got nailed by Francis... When Ivan broke up, part of it came down here and dumped a lot of rain on us -- the rest went back into the Gulf, reformed, and headed to Texas. And then, three weeks after Francis, Jeanne came in and nailed us. Between the two that hit us, I was without power for about a week and a half.

I just picked up book 5 a week or two ago. I'm waiting for all 6 to be in paperback before I read them.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Twin Scimitars
Seeker

USA
96 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2005 :  18:13:08  Show Profile  Visit The Twin Scimitars's Homepage Send The Twin Scimitars a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This is the fourth day the powers been out and all cities on the coast west of me are either destroyed or very close to it. Thousands are predicted dead in New Orleans and my city has been devestated.

So anyway are you working on any other FR novels?

Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2005 :  18:51:02  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
TS: Very sorry to hear your town was hit so hard.
Yes, I am working on a big new FR project, but I can't discuss the content yet. Sorry about that.
Go to Top of Page

The Twin Scimitars
Seeker

USA
96 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2005 :  19:43:05  Show Profile  Visit The Twin Scimitars's Homepage Send The Twin Scimitars a Private Message  Reply with Quote
When is this this big project supposed to be out?

Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2005 :  21:50:14  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Don't know the scheduling yet. Not before 1/07, anyway.
Go to Top of Page

The Twin Scimitars
Seeker

USA
96 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2005 :  22:51:44  Show Profile  Visit The Twin Scimitars's Homepage Send The Twin Scimitars a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well I cant wait! And my power just came on! Its a happy day!

Go to Top of Page

Carion Hunter
Acolyte

23 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2005 :  13:25:30  Show Profile  Visit Carion Hunter's Homepage Send Carion Hunter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Greetings, I have enjoyed reading your works especially Book 1 and 2 of the Year of rogue dragons as well as the Queen of the Depths, and in the book 2 of the Year of rogue dragons, I was particularly interested about King Gareth and his group who fought the Witch-King, so can I ask will there be anything such as novels being written on this heroic king and his group before this Gareth became king?

Wanna throw me out? You gotta think thrice about that.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2005 :  17:22:14  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Carion Hunter

I was particularly interested about King Gareth and his group who fought the Witch-King, so can I ask will there be anything such as novels being written on this heroic king and his group before this Gareth became king?

It's doubtful. Fiction in the Realms usually moves forward, and events in the past are rarely covered.

Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2005 :  19:15:57  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Wooly's right, although there are exceptions. In any case, I have no current plans to write about Gareth's early days. It's conceivable that some other novelist does, but if so, I haven't heard about it.
If I'm not mistaken, these adventures were actually covered in some early FR adventure modules, where the players took the roles of Gareth and his buddies. Perhaps someone else can tell us for sure if I'm right or wrong.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2005 :  19:26:28  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Richard Lee Byers

Wooly's right, although there are exceptions. In any case, I have no current plans to write about Gareth's early days. It's conceivable that some other novelist does, but if so, I haven't heard about it.
If I'm not mistaken, these adventures were actually covered in some early FR adventure modules, where the players took the roles of Gareth and his buddies. Perhaps someone else can tell us for sure if I'm right or wrong.

Your thinking of the 1e Bloodstone modules that were tacked into FR but I don't think you got to play as Gareth.... Granted 2 of those modules are part of the 4 sourcebooks I'm missing so I could be wrong. And there is the 2e Bloodstone sourcebook writen by RAS.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium

Edited by - Kuje on 28 Sep 2005 19:27:10
Go to Top of Page

KnightErrantJR
Great Reader

USA
5402 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2005 :  19:37:41  Show Profile  Visit KnightErrantJR's Homepage Send KnightErrantJR a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The later modules listed Gareth, Friar Dougald, and the band as pregenerated PCs that you could play.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2005 :  21:13:55  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by KnightErrantJR

The later modules listed Gareth, Friar Dougald, and the band as pregenerated PCs that you could play.

Ah. Like I said, I only have 2 of the 4. :)

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2005 :  23:30:08  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

And there is the 2e Bloodstone sourcebook writen by RAS.

FR9 The Bloodstone Lands. 'Twas the first Realms supplement I ever purchased. It stats out Gareth and crew, too.

Go to Top of Page

Richard Lee Byers
Forgotten Realms Author

USA
1814 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2005 :  03:18:36  Show Profile  Visit Richard Lee Byers's Homepage  Reply with Quote
May I slip in a brief plug for something that isn't a Realms product? I have a story in the new anthology Magic Tails, edited by Martin H. Greenberg and Janet Deaver-Pack and published by Daw Books. It's a volume of fantasy stories about cats. If it sounds like your cup of tea, I hope you'll check it out.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2005 :  03:24:36  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've been keeping an eye out for this book for a while now.

I love cats! I've got two myself -- one named Erwin and the other Schrödinger .

And having fantasy stories about cats is one of the reasons why I'll be picking up this anthology. The other is because you've also got a story inside Richard .

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 30 Sep 2005 03:28:43
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2005 :  03:48:44  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

You actually named a cat Schrödinger? I don't know if that's disturbing, inspired, or both!

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2005 :  04:09:45  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

You actually named a cat Schrödinger? I don't know if that's disturbing, inspired, or both!

I agree. That's a bit creepy. :)

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2005 :  05:29:07  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kuje

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

I agree. That's a bit creepy. :)

Hehe... My naming of the cat as Schrödinger was actually quite a bizarre circumstance.

I was playing around with a few suggestions for a few days... about possible feline names, but I couldn't come up with anything that I really liked. I'd previously had another cat named de Broglie (another story entirely), so I then decided to continue with this trend and settle again on a physicist's name -- but which one? It was largely because of my indecision that I decided on Schrödinger, mostly because of the "cat paradox" and the uncertainty that arises in the experiment relating to the knowledge about whether the cat is alive or dead. It was this uncertainty that inspired my naming of this cat.

Whether that's disturbing, inspired, or both... I'm not sure . But in my usual round-about way, it made plenty of sense .

And it was purely co-incidence that my other cat is named Erwin... which is in no way related to my thoughts about Schrödinger. Erwin's name came from a dream the Lady K had about the Lady of Pain from PLANESCAPE, but I'd rather allow her to tell that story .

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

The Twin Scimitars
Seeker

USA
96 Posts

Posted - 03 Oct 2005 :  03:49:19  Show Profile  Visit The Twin Scimitars's Homepage Send The Twin Scimitars a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have a cat named Guenwhyvar.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 57 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000