Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Thomas M Reid
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 10

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2007 :  23:24:13  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello Mr. Reid!

I'm half-way through The Gossamer Plain and was wondering whether the Kael character is actually the half-fiend / half-drow he should be? Growing up in his somewhat special surroundings might be one thing, but be default ... well you know. Or did you give it some author's freedom? (Not that I would object ... just asking.)

Cave quid dicis, quando et cui!

Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel!

In memory of Alura Durshavin.

Visit my "Homepage" to find A Guide to the Drow NPCs of Faerûn, Drow and non-Drow PrC and much more.
Go to Top of Page

Thomas M. Reid
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

334 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2007 :  22:07:34  Show Profile  Visit Thomas M. Reid's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zanan

I'm half-way through The Gossamer Plain and was wondering whether the Kael character is actually the half-fiend / half-drow he should be? Growing up in his somewhat special surroundings might be one thing, but be default ... well you know. Or did you give it some author's freedom? (Not that I would object ... just asking.)

*IF* I am interpreting your question correctly, I assume you are asking me if Kael ought to be evil because of his "DNA" (so to speak). I don't want to give much away at this point, but I actually explore that issue some in the next book, The Fractured Sky (which I am in the midst of revising, for a release date of next November). It's the classic nature vs. nurture argument. I will say this: the drow side of him doesn't have any bearing on his attitudes or morals; the demon side MIGHT be another story, but I won't reveal more right now.

Thomas

"A knight is not truly virtuous, only truly resolved to be so."

www.thomasmreid.com
Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2007 :  23:25:23  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
His alignment did not spring to my mind, actually. Which reflects my valuation of these rules.
No, I was more "concerned" about his general half-fiend features as described in the MM. He didn't seem to have any of those in the novel, which may lead someone to think that he is a special version of HF. Then again, much variety can come from a mortal / outsider offspring and I was merely wondering whether Kael was considered to be a half-drow / half-fiend ... or probably more of the tiefling or rather fey'ri ilk? (Even though alu-fiends - being lesser tanar'ri - should produce half-fiends.)

Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel!

Visit my "Homepage" to find A Guide to the Drow NPCs of Faerûn, Drow and non-Drow PrC and much more.
Go to Top of Page

Thomas M. Reid

334 Posts

Posted - 31 Oct 2007 :  21:53:19  Show Profile  Visit Thomas M. Reid's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

No, I was more "concerned" about his general half-fiend features as described in the MM. He didn't seem to have any of those in the novel, which may lead someone to think that he is a special version of HF. Then again, much variety can come from a mortal / outsider offspring and I was merely wondering whether Kael was considered to be a half-drow / half-fiend ... or probably more of the tiefling or rather fey'ri ilk? (Even though alu-fiends - being lesser tanar'ri - should produce half-fiends.)

Ah, I understand now. Again, I am going to beg off on fully answering your question, because some of this is revealed in the next book. But suffice it to say that I do fully understand how the HF rules in the MM work and have kept them in mind.

Thomas

www.thomasmreid.com
Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 01 Nov 2007 :  09:01:40  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the reply ... will happily wait for No. 2 then :-)

Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel!

Go to Top of Page

GS
Acolyte

14 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2008 :  01:31:48  Show Profile  Visit GS's Homepage Send GS a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello,

Just wanted to say that I greatly enjoyed the Gossamer Plane, and that I am looking forward to the next book. Can you say anything about the next book? Will it take place solely in the plains or will our "heroes" return to Faerun? Also, why is the book scheduled for a November release when the first book came out in May? Is it due to the 4E release this summer?
Go to Top of Page

Thomas M. Reid

334 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2008 :  02:03:37  Show Profile  Visit Thomas M. Reid's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GS

Hello,

Just wanted to say that I greatly enjoyed the Gossamer Plane, and that I am looking forward to the next book. Can you say anything about the next book? Will it take place solely in the plains or will our "heroes" return to Faerun? Also, why is the book scheduled for a November release when the first book came out in May? Is it due to the 4E release this summer?

GS,

Thanks for the compliments. I cannot at this point say anything about the next book, The Fractured Sky, because WotC has not yet released any catalog information on it. You'll just have to sit tight for a while longer.

As for its release date being more than a year after the previous book -- that had to do in part with some things in my personal schedule, but it worked out well because it allowed us to include some events in the story that couldn't be revealed before the release of 4E Realms otherwise. So the later release date has played to my advantage.

Thomas

www.thomasmreid.com
Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 20 Jul 2008 :  10:24:52  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello!

While reading Shadowdale I noted that for continuity's sake, a number of Realms NPCs will have to fall during the course of the adventure (p. 124) - no matter whether the PCs manage the quests or not. Now, other than CotSQ, none of the drow leaders are mentioned in there (even though people get points for removing them), so can we expect that some of the matron sisters will survive the adventure "in the setting"?

All the best,

Zanan!

Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel!

Go to Top of Page

inexorable
Acolyte

11 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2008 :  09:30:54  Show Profile  Visit inexorable's Homepage Send inexorable a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just finished reading Gossamer Plain and the ending was great.

Loved how Kaanyr in the beginning of the novel, before the assembled banites, had little beyond contempt for them except for Zasian... and I guess we know why that was.

I despise bane and his clergy so it was great... beyond great to see how it turned out. The more competent and intelligent Zasian appeared throughout the story I kept thinking how this character could possibly be a cleric of bane... it seems my suspicions were right.

Nice work Mr. Reid.

Looking forward to the next book.
Go to Top of Page

Icelander
Master of Realmslore

1864 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2008 :  21:06:03  Show Profile  Visit Icelander's Homepage Send Icelander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've apparently bothered half the authors here with frivolous questions and it didn't seem fair to let you off.

What was the name of the Temple to Waukeen in Arrabar that Vambran Matrell and the Sapphire Crescent served?

What other temples of Waukeen did you mention or postulate in the books (their names and location or if names don't exist, at least locations)? Specifically, did Reth have a temple to Waukeen? Any shrines to Waukeen that you mentioned?

I ask because Waukeen is apparently popular in Chondath, but so far I can find no canon sources identifying which cities there have temples to her.

Thank you for your time.

Za uspiekh nashevo beznadiozhnovo diela!

Forgotten Realms fans, please sign a petition to re-release the FR Interactive Atlas
Go to Top of Page

Fire Wraith
Acolyte

USA
37 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2008 :  08:55:22  Show Profile  Visit Fire Wraith's Homepage Send Fire Wraith a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Thomas M. Reid

quote:

Ah, I understand now. Again, I am going to beg off on fully answering your question, because some of this is revealed in the next book. But suffice it to say that I do fully understand how the HF rules in the MM work and have kept them in mind.

Thomas

Actually, wouldn't Kael be a tiefling, at least in the 2nd/3rd Edition term of it? In all previous editions (1st Edition, 2nd Edition/Planescape), an Alu-Fiend is actually just a specific name for a Half-Succubus. Granted, he would still have the same sort of demonic influence on his bloodline, albeit to a somewhat lesser degree.

All that aside, I loved the book, and am looking forward to the rest of the series. Despite being someone who has little to no interest in the post-Spellplague Realms, I find your depictions of the characters (Aliisza in particular) to be interesting enough that I fully intend to follow their stories regardless.

Edited by - Fire Wraith on 30 Jul 2008 09:00:05
Go to Top of Page

Pierre-Luc
Acolyte

Canada
13 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2008 :  08:24:08  Show Profile Send Pierre-Luc a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Mr. Reid. Gossamer Plain was great and I look forward to reading Fractured Sky. Do you know of how I'd read a sample chapter of your next book? Thanks.
Go to Top of Page

Thomas M. Reid

334 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2008 :  19:31:40  Show Profile  Visit Thomas M. Reid's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

While reading Shadowdale I noted that for continuity's sake, a number of Realms NPCs will have to fall during the course of the adventure (p. 124) - no matter whether the PCs manage the quests or not. Now, other than CotSQ, none of the drow leaders are mentioned in there (even though people get points for removing them), so can we expect that some of the matron sisters will survive the adventure "in the setting"?

So sorry I missed this question (and the ones that follow) -- not sure why, either. Anyway, I'm not sure what the ultimate plans were for the matrons . . . my only contribution to said book was Castle Krag, so I am not up on the overarching plot and aftermath. Rich Baker would be able to tell you more (provided it is still relevant, given the changes that have been laid out with 4E).

Thomas

www.thomasmreid.com
Go to Top of Page

Thomas M. Reid

334 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2008 :  19:41:56  Show Profile  Visit Thomas M. Reid's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by inexorable

Just finished reading Gossamer Plain and the ending was great.

Loved how Kaanyr in the beginning of the novel, before the assembled banites, had little beyond contempt for them except for Zasian... and I guess we know why that was.

I despise bane and his clergy so it was great... beyond great to see how it turned out. The more competent and intelligent Zasian appeared throughout the story I kept thinking how this character could possibly be a cleric of bane... it seems my suspicions were right.

Nice work Mr. Reid.

Looking forward to the next book.

Thanks so much for the compliments, inexorable. I'm not sure how much of what you describe it due to clever writing on my part and how much is due to your attitudes about Bane and his clergy, but I'm glad it resonated with you. Sometimes weird possibilities just present themselves to you.

SPOILER:
In this instance, I knew I needed a servant of Cyric to be in the middle of this plot, but I also recalled that Bane had a strong -- if secret -- foothold in Sundabar, so it was a fortuitous matter to bring the two together as I did. I really "discovered" it more than created it, but it made writing the whole sequence a lot of fun.
END SPOILER

Thomas

www.thomasmreid.com
Go to Top of Page

Thomas M. Reid

334 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2008 :  20:01:52  Show Profile  Visit Thomas M. Reid's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Icelander

I've apparently bothered half the authors here with frivolous questions and it didn't seem fair to let you off.

Well then, I'm honored. ;-)

quote:
What was the name of the Temple to Waukeen in Arrabar that Vambran Matrell and the Sapphire Crescent served?

Uh . . . I apparently never gave it a formal name. Probably should have.

quote:
What other temples of Waukeen did you mention or postulate in the books (their names and location or if names don't exist, at least locations)? Specifically, did Reth have a temple to Waukeen? Any shrines to Waukeen that you mentioned?

I ask because Waukeen is apparently popular in Chondath, but so far I can find no canon sources identifying which cities there have temples to her.

Good questions all, but I had very little to go on, myself. The only sources that ever offered much at all about Chondath and Waukeen were the old 2E product The Vilhon Reach and the adventure -- the name of which escapes me at the moment -- where the characters try to rescue Waukeen from Grazzt. I also got a lot of extra, unpublished information from Ed at the time I was writing. But none of those resources had much information on the region's worship of Waukeen, only that she had been popular at one time, but had fallen into decline with her disappearance. So I just made up what I needed to to keep the book going. Because of her re-emergence, I assumed that new temples were springing up (or old ones were being reivigorated) in most major cities in the Reach.

Thomas

www.thomasmreid.com
Go to Top of Page

Thomas M. Reid

334 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2008 :  20:08:40  Show Profile  Visit Thomas M. Reid's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Fire Wraith
Actually, wouldn't Kael be a tiefling, at least in the 2nd/3rd Edition term of it? In all previous editions (1st Edition, 2nd Edition/Planescape), an Alu-Fiend is actually just a specific name for a Half-Succubus. Granted, he would still have the same sort of demonic influence on his bloodline, albeit to a somewhat lesser degree.

The particulars of how I went about "identifying" Kael's traits are lost in the mists of time now, but I do recall using the half-fiend template in the MM to develop his physical appearance. Once I went through that exercise, though, it all got left behind, as he became a living, breathing individual to me, with numerous foibles and traits, rather than a collection of stats, so I honestly just don't look at him (or any of the characters I develop) through that kind of lens for long.

quote:
All that aside, I loved the book, and am looking forward to the rest of the series. Despite being someone who has little to no interest in the post-Spellplague Realms, I find your depictions of the characters (Aliisza in particular) to be interesting enough that I fully intend to follow their stories regardless.

Glad you're enjoying the series, Fire Wraith. I'm currently working on the final revisions for the third book, The Crystal Mountain. It's certainly been a long, strange trip, and it's hard to remember that everyone else is still two books behind me. I can't wait for the rest of you to catch up.

Thomas

www.thomasmreid.com
Go to Top of Page

Thomas M. Reid

334 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2008 :  20:12:41  Show Profile  Visit Thomas M. Reid's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Pierre-Luc

Hi Mr. Reid. Gossamer Plain was great and I look forward to reading Fractured Sky. Do you know of how I'd read a sample chapter of your next book? Thanks.

I'm sorry to say that it doesn't appear that Wizards chose to exhibit a preview chapter this time around. However, it's due to release in a mere week, so you can scope it out in person at your favorite book store very soon.

Thanks,

Thomas

www.thomasmreid.com
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2008 :  23:07:53  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
The only sources that ever offered much at all about Chondath and Waukeen were the old 2E product The Vilhon Reach and the adventure -- the name of which escapes me at the moment -- where the characters try to rescue Waukeen from Grazzt.

That'd be For Duty and Deity.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2008 :  23:40:47  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And it's available as a free PDF download at WotC.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Icelander
Master of Realmslore

1864 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2008 :  01:59:38  Show Profile  Visit Icelander's Homepage Send Icelander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Uh . . . I apparently never gave it a formal name. Probably should have.

Would you like to give one now? It is your temple, after all.

I understand that it wouldn't be 100% canon (not unless someone from WotC contacts you to ask the same question and you give the same asnwer, I suppose), but I'm sure that as the author for that novel, your word is good enough to allow The Sage to at least put the name on his list of Realms-temples.

quote:

quote:

Good questions all, but I had very little to go on, myself. The only sources that ever offered much at all about Chondath and Waukeen were the old 2E product The Vilhon Reach and the adventure -- the name of which escapes me at the moment -- where the characters try to rescue Waukeen from Grazzt. I also got a lot of extra, unpublished information from Ed at the time I was writing. But none of those resources had much information on the region's worship of Waukeen, only that she had been popular at one time, but had fallen into decline with her disappearance. So I just made up what I needed to to keep the book going. Because of her re-emergence, I assumed that new temples were springing up (or old ones were being reivigorated) in most major cities in the Reach.

Thomas

Thank you very much.

To add a few questions, have you seen Ed's Overview of Chondath that appeared somewhere on the 'Net and includes such noble families as the Beltyne, the Cauldyl, the Darowdryn, the Elphaendim, the Halort, the Mestel, the Pelgorn and the Withrim? Is there room for these noble families alongside those of your trilogy or have the families of 'your' Arrabar supplanted them in canon?

Forgotten Realms fans, please sign a petition to re-release the FR Interactive Atlas

Edited by - Icelander on 30 Oct 2008 02:00:28
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2008 :  02:24:04  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

To add a few questions, have you seen Ed's Overview of Chondath that appeared somewhere on the 'Net...
There's actually a copy archived here at Candlekeep.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2008 :  16:44:59  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have to say, I distinctly recall the Darowdryn family being in the novels, although it's been a long time since I read them.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

Icelander
Master of Realmslore

1864 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2008 :  19:04:04  Show Profile  Visit Icelander's Homepage Send Icelander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

I have to say, I distinctly recall the Darowdryn family being in the novels, although it's been a long time since I read them.

So they are. As are the Mestels and the Cauldyn are at least mentioned.

But I wondered whether those came from Ed's writeup or from a prior source. And I wondered whether the other families, such as the Elphs, were in Mr. Reid's vision for Arrabar.

Go to Top of Page

Thomas M. Reid

334 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2008 :  15:01:17  Show Profile  Visit Thomas M. Reid's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Would you like to give one now? It is your temple, after all.

Sure. Let's call it the Sanctuary of the Teeming Coffer.

And the Ed documents you mentioned are indeed the ones I received from him when I was first sitting down to write. He gave me some other materials, too. I don't know whether I got a hold of that stuff before they became public or after, but I drew on them heavily and tried very hard not to contradict anything in them.

Thomas

www.thomasmreid.com
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2008 :  21:54:39  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
-Mr. Reid I just heard on another forum HOW CYRIC AND SHAR KILL MYSTRA. Thats just awesome my man, just awesome! I got the book (Fractured Sky) and shall read it.

BRIMSTONE

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep

Edited by - Brimstone on 04 Nov 2008 21:55:24
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 05 Nov 2008 :  02:42:38  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Is it true, Mr. Reid?

Right now I have a quote playing in my head: "Say it ain't so, Joe!"

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

Kamuraki
Seeker

USA
78 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2008 :  21:48:35  Show Profile  Visit Kamuraki's Homepage Send Kamuraki a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How's it feel to be the hand that actually did the deed, Tom?

"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move."

- Douglas Adams
Go to Top of Page

Thomas M. Reid

334 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2008 :  02:54:46  Show Profile  Visit Thomas M. Reid's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well, as I have already posted elsewhere, the events leading up to Mystra's death are "revealed" in The Fractured Sky. But I did not actually plan any of that out; it was concocted by the folks at WotC, and I just knew about it and had the opportunity to incorporate it into my book. My job was actually to show the repercussions of such RSEs on the angels living in the good planes, so I fit my story around some of it, and tied my characters into part of the grander plot. But I didn't really decide for it to happen.

Thomas

www.thomasmreid.com
Go to Top of Page

inexorable
Acolyte

11 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2008 :  22:29:36  Show Profile  Visit inexorable's Homepage Send inexorable a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Excellent work on the second book, The Fractured Sky. I just finished reading it and although I'm sort of bummed that Zasian got killed, as Cyric and his minions are my favorite characters in the Realms, I kind of knew it was going to happen.

Very intriguing that it was his own god that deceived him.

I really enjoy the interaction between the angels and the demons and how they are rubbing off on each other. All of your characters have depth and are well done and easy to relate to.

Great work Mr. Reid and I look forward to the next novel.
Go to Top of Page

Thomas M. Reid

334 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2008 :  05:38:32  Show Profile  Visit Thomas M. Reid's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by inexorable

Excellent work on the second book, The Fractured Sky. I just finished reading it and although I'm sort of bummed that Zasian got killed, as Cyric and his minions are my favorite characters in the Realms, I kind of knew it was going to happen.

Very intriguing that it was his own god that deceived him.

I really enjoy the interaction between the angels and the demons and how they are rubbing off on each other. All of your characters have depth and are well done and easy to relate to.

Great work Mr. Reid and I look forward to the next novel.

Thanks much for the compliments, inexorable. I'm really glad to hear how much you enjoyed the book.

Thomas

www.thomasmreid.com
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 10 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000