Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Paul S Kemp
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 28

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2010 :  17:35:31  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kyrene

Paul,

Did you ever put other directly translated words, like the Erevis translated “killing” and “hunted” in Another Name for Dawn, into any of the other books/stories about him? I know he was literate in many other languages as well, but can’t seem to recall if your narrative ever gave us lore junkies any direct Elven, Dwarven, or other language, words apart from in the same style as Cale translating Wave Runner into other languages (without mentioning the actual words in those languages).

Kyrene,

The dwarven word "Korvikoum," meaning, depending upon the translation, "justice" or "vengeance" appears often and reflects one of the themes of the novels.

I also have two Elvish phrases that express concepts from Elven philosophy, both of which appear toward the beginning of Twilight Falling (I don't have access to the book itself, so I'm forced to be vague). There are probably others, but those are the two that jump to the front of my memory.

Paul
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2010 :  18:38:17  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Paul,

Will you be doing( or have already done) a short web story to promote Godborn?

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2010 :  15:48:30  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

Paul,

Red,

Too far out to predict at this point. It's really a question of available time.

Paul
Go to Top of Page

Kyrene
Senior Scribe

South Africa
728 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2010 :  12:16:03  Show Profile  Visit Kyrene's Homepage Send Kyrene a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PaulSKemp

quote:
Originally posted by Kyrene

Paul,

Did you ever put other directly translated words, like the Erevis translated “killing” and “hunted” in Another Name for Dawn, into any of the other books/stories about him? I know he was literate in many other languages as well, but can’t seem to recall if your narrative ever gave us lore junkies any direct Elven, Dwarven, or other language, words apart from in the same style as Cale translating Wave Runner into other languages (without mentioning the actual words in those languages).

Kyrene,

The dwarven word "Korvikoum," meaning, depending upon the translation, "justice" or "vengeance" appears often and reflects one of the themes of the novels.

I also have two Elvish phrases that express concepts from Elven philosophy, both of which appear toward the beginning of Twilight Falling (I don't have access to the book itself, so I'm forced to be vague). There are probably others, but those are the two that jump to the front of my memory.

Paul

Now that you mention it...

Thanks, Paul! I'll trawl a little through Twilight Falling this coming weekend (hey I might even re-read it a little, who knows) and see what I can add to the 'Realmspeak' glossary.

Lost for words? Find them in the Glossary of Phrases, Sayings & Words of the Realms
Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2010 :  14:12:31  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Paul,

Red,

Paul

Thanks Paul.

I think those kind of things are great relationship builders. And didn't know if they were usually cutting room floor type things or specificly written for that purpose. Or maybe a combo of the two.

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

creyzi4zb12
Learned Scribe

Philippines
129 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2010 :  19:21:18  Show Profile  Visit creyzi4zb12's Homepage Send creyzi4zb12 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello Paul, I really liked the Cale series and the characters in it. I can't wait for 2012....Although it's a long wait, I believe there are some books to occupy me of while waiting.

Some questions:
- During the Cale series, I read something about shadows being eaten. What actually happens if shadows are killed? I actually have little to no lore about shadowless individuals in the Realms.

-(Tamlin Uskevren), will we be seeing more of him on Godborn?

creyzi4zb12

orc orc orc orc orc orc orc orc orc orc orc

Edited by - creyzi4zb12 on 30 Aug 2010 19:22:13
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 31 Aug 2010 :  21:15:16  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by creyzi4zb12

Hello Paul, I really liked the Cale series and the characters in it. I can't wait for 2012....Although it's a long wait, I believe there are some books to occupy me of while waiting.

Some questions:
- During the Cale series, I read something about shadows being eaten. What actually happens if shadows are killed? I actually have little to no lore about shadowless individuals in the Realms.

-(Tamlin Uskevren), will we be seeing more of him on Godborn?

creyzi4zb12

Thanks, creyz.

With regard to the shadow eating: I presume you're thinking of Elyril's "dog"? Well, whether any eating actually happened must needs remain an open question. Elyril was quite mad. She certainly thought she saw her dog eating the shadows of living people, but we don't know if it actually occurred.

As for Tamlin, I don't have the entire Cycle of Night trilogy outlined to a fine degree, but shooting from the hip, I'd say we're not likely to see Tamlin with much stage time. Some maybe. But probably only some.
Go to Top of Page

creyzi4zb12
Learned Scribe

Philippines
129 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2010 :  02:25:32  Show Profile  Visit creyzi4zb12's Homepage Send creyzi4zb12 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks Paul, that pretty much sums it up for Cale Saga questions about shadowless individuals. Actually I've been asking that question to others for quite a time now.
Cale saga was one of the best series I've read in Realms so far. I really needed to read the next books after I've finished reading one.

- Another question: I noticed in this thread that you mentioned some short stories in Anthologies of the Realms related to Erevis Cale saga. What Anthologies am I supposed to see them short stories?

creyzi4zb12

orc orc orc orc orc orc orc orc orc orc orc

Edited by - creyzi4zb12 on 01 Sep 2010 02:28:32
Go to Top of Page

idilippy
Senior Scribe

USA
417 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2010 :  04:56:57  Show Profile Send idilippy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Paul,

First of all, I want to say that your Erevis Cale and Twilight War trilogies are two of my favorite Forgotten Realms series, maybe two of my favorite series of any genre, and I am excited to hear that you are writing the Cycle of Night series, even if it is quite a ways off. I especially like the way Abelar's crisis of faith and redemption were handled, as he seemed to be a real, complex person who goes through a horrible tragedy which should, and does, have an impact on all aspects of his life.

I have just a couple of questions about the end of Shadowrealm. First, what happens to Riven's dogs after the book ends? Is it safe to assume that Riven was able to stay at the temple on Wayrock and care for them until their death even after his assault on Mephistopheles? Not the most important of questions perhaps but I was wondering if Riven would be forced to slip into the shadows after the battle or if he was being truthful when he said that on any other plane Mephistopheles would be the weaker one. Also, what happens to Abelar's son and father, do they settle in Sembia under the Shades or do they end up somewhere else in Faerun?

Thanks for your time and your great novels, I'm looking forward to both your work with Pathfinder and the Cycle of night!

Edited by - idilippy on 08 Sep 2010 05:16:20
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2010 :  03:43:13  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Paul,

Red,

Paul

I hope you can find time, and hope to publish it several months before Godborn is out. 2012 is a long wait. At least we'll have a "taste" of it while waiting.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2010 :  17:38:05  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by creyzi4zb12

- Another question: I noticed in this thread that you mentioned some short stories in Anthologies of the Realms related to Erevis Cale saga. What Anthologies am I supposed to see them short stories?

creyzi4zb12

creyzi,

Realms of Dragons contains "Soulbound," which is a story featuring Furlinastis and Kesson Rel. It's probably best read between Dawn of Night and Midnight's Mask.

Realms of War contains "Continuum," which features Cale's significant other, Varra, and gives some backstory on Rivalen Tanthul and Brennus. It's probably best read between Shadowstorm and Shadowrealm.

I've also had two Cale related stories published in Dragon Magazine. The first, "Another Name of Dawn," is Cale's origin story, explaining how he fled the Night Masks in Westgate and came by his name (Erevis Cale is not his given name). It was printed in Dragon #277, but I've made it available as a free download on my website here: http://paulskemp.com/blog/how-did-cale-become-cale/

The second Cale story in Dragon was in issue #297 and was entitled "All the Sinners Saints." It explains how Cale and Riven came to a kind of detente post Shadow's Witness, and is probably best read between Shadow's Witness and Twilight Falling.

The recently released Erevis Cale Trilogy Omnibus reprints "All the Sinners Saints" and "Soulbound," along with the three novels of the trilogy.

Paul

Edited by - PaulSKemp on 21 Sep 2010 17:55:00
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2010 :  17:41:39  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by idilippy

Paul,

First of all, I want to say that your Erevis Cale and Twilight War trilogies are two of my favorite Forgotten Realms series, maybe two of my favorite series of any genre, and I am excited to hear that you are writing the Cycle of Night series, even if it is quite a ways off. I especially like the way Abelar's crisis of faith and redemption were handled, as he seemed to be a real, complex person who goes through a horrible tragedy which should, and does, have an impact on all aspects of his life.

I have just a couple of questions about the end of Shadowrealm. First, what happens to Riven's dogs after the book ends? Is it safe to assume that Riven was able to stay at the temple on Wayrock and care for them until their death even after his assault on Mephistopheles? Not the most important of questions perhaps but I was wondering if Riven would be forced to slip into the shadows after the battle or if he was being truthful when he said that on any other plane Mephistopheles would be the weaker one. Also, what happens to Abelar's son and father, do they settle in Sembia under the Shades or do they end up somewhere else in Faerun?

Thanks for your time and your great novels, I'm looking forward to both your work with Pathfinder and the Cycle of night!

Thank you kindly, Idilippy. Hearing from readers who've enjoyed my work really makes my day.

Riven loves his dogs (as much as Riven loves anything) so there's no way he's going to abandon them and/or let harm come to them. I have some ideas about them that may show up in Godborn.

Abelar's family is integral to the story of Godborn, particularly his son. Here's a snippet you may enjoy. See if you recognize anyone : http://paulskemp.com/blog/scene-from-godborn-vasen-cale/
Go to Top of Page

idilippy
Senior Scribe

USA
417 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2010 :  18:00:03  Show Profile Send idilippy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the answers, it's good to hear that Abelar's family will be integral to your next stor, after that snippet(and the Oracle!) I'm even more excited about Godborn!
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2010 :  08:55:18  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi, Paul!

I've been curious about Vhostym ever since reading the Erevis Cale trilogy. Is he your OWN creation?

Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2010 :  16:20:41  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dennis

Hi, Paul!

I've been curious about Vhostym ever since reading the Erevis Cale trilogy. Is he your OWN creation?

Dennis,

Indeed. Vhostym was my own creation.
Go to Top of Page

Dart Ambermoon
Learned Scribe

Germany
253 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2010 :  20:39:43  Show Profile  Visit Dart Ambermoon's Homepage Send Dart Ambermoon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Late to the party, but may I throw in that all the short stories mentioned by esteemed Saer Kemp should definitely be read by anyone who likes his work for two reasons. Firstly, they really nicely round out and illustrate the characters and secondly they are all simply excellent short stories.

~ In Finder I trust, for danger I lust ~
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2010 :  21:04:08  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Hi, Paul!

Dennis,

Indeed. Vhostym was my own creation.

Interesting.

Did you write a short story that provides more details about his life prior to settling in the Realms? You mentioned he destroyed 'worlds' when he was young. I'm curious what those worlds are and how he destroyed them. Most importantly, why? Nihilism, I guess...

Edited by - Dennis on 21 Oct 2010 21:05:55
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2010 :  13:33:24  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

[quote]

Did you write a short story that provides more details about his life prior to settling in the Realms? You mentioned he destroyed 'worlds' when he was young. I'm curious what those worlds are and how he destroyed them. Most importantly, why? Nihilism, I guess...

Dennis,

I have not written anything else re Vhostym. Never know, though. :-)
Go to Top of Page

Enwy
Acolyte

USA
30 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2010 :  17:14:01  Show Profile  Visit Enwy's Homepage Send Enwy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Paul,

I want to thank you again for the time you'd put into writing your novels. I'd fill up a page with reasons why, but I think the "thank you" well summarizes what I'd wanted to say. I came late into your work, after wanting to read something involving Mask (who became even more beloved to me after experiencing how you'd portrayed him), and now have a finger wagged at me regularly since I can't put the bloody books down.

While I empathize with all of your characters and find myself dieing to see what becomes of their "personal journeys" so to speak, the one who's really struck me is good ol' Drasek Riven. I'd started out absolutely hating the guy (such a sneering grump!), but as I went on, I realized more and more that he captivated me instead. Seeing his depth and personal struggles resulted in Riven stamping a place right on my heart, so my question for you is this: While mentions of Riven's past experiences are made, are there any future plans (or the desire, for that matter) to expand a bit on the man's past? Granted, it might ruin the mystique a bit, but it's a question I've got to ask!

Bran thought about it. "Can a man still be brave if he's afraid?"

"That is the only time a man can be brave," his father told him.

Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 27 Oct 2010 :  22:36:56  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Enwy

While I empathize with all of your characters and find myself dieing to see what becomes of their "personal journeys" so to speak, the one who's really struck me is good ol' Drasek Riven. I'd started out absolutely hating the guy (such a sneering grump!), but as I went on, I realized more and more that he captivated me instead. Seeing his depth and personal struggles resulted in Riven stamping a place right on my heart, so my question for you is this: While mentions of Riven's past experiences are made, are there any future plans (or the desire, for that matter) to expand a bit on the man's past? Granted, it might ruin the mystique a bit, but it's a question I've got to ask!

Enwy,

Thank you very much for the kind words. I really appreciate it.

As for a Riven "prequel," I actually did discuss something of that kind a year or so back with my then-editor -- I was thinking about a prequel books for all of Cale, Jak, Riven, and Mags. At that point, we left it as an open possibility (because we were focusing on The Cycle of Night). Of course, that editor has since left WotC.

At this point, the answer is a big "maybe." Sorry I can't offer any more than that.

Paul
Go to Top of Page

Enwy
Acolyte

USA
30 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2010 :  02:23:01  Show Profile  Visit Enwy's Homepage Send Enwy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Enwy,

Thank you very much for the kind words. I really appreciate it.

As for a Riven "prequel," I actually did discuss something of that kind a year or so back with my then-editor -- I was thinking about a prequel books for all of Cale, Jak, Riven, and Mags. At that point, we left it as an open possibility (because we were focusing on The Cycle of Night). Of course, that editor has since left WotC.

At this point, the answer is a big "maybe." Sorry I can't offer any more than that.

Paul

Paul,

Thanks a lot for the reply! "Maybe" is a lot better than "never", after all! I have to say, I ended up extremely giddy to hear that prequels for all four of the heroes were under consideration (as it gives me ample more opportunity to giggle at Jak's usage of "Trickster's Toes!" <3). But here's to the future and what might await! (And Godborn, of course!)

Bran thought about it. "Can a man still be brave if he's afraid?"

"That is the only time a man can be brave," his father told him.

Go to Top of Page

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2010 :  03:27:18  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
As for a Riven "prequel," I actually did discuss something of that kind a year or so back with my then-editor -- I was thinking about a prequel books for all of Cale, Jak, Riven, and Mags.

No please don't! Because you'd actually force me to camp in front of a book store the night of the release date! And such behavior is for geeks only! Please don't make me a geek!

What an awesome perspective to maybe have prequel books for my favorite realms characters...

"You make an intriguing offer, one that is very tempting. It would seem that I have little alternative than to answer thusly: DISINTEGRATE!" Vaarsuvius, Order of the Stick 625
Go to Top of Page

Ananta
Acolyte

Finland
22 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2010 :  12:28:01  Show Profile  Visit Ananta's Homepage Send Ananta a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Abelar's family is integral to the story of Godborn, particularly his son. Here's a snippet you may enjoy. See if you recognize anyone : http://paulskemp.com/blog/scene-from-godborn-vasen-cale/

Oh damn that was awesome. May Trickster's hairy toes suffocate me if I ain't waiting for that book like there's no tomorrow :D

Making Elden The Oracle is simply brilliant.

Simply amazing work on The Erevis Cale and The Twilight War Trilogies. Keep up the good work.
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7968 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2010 :  20:29:00  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Paul,

I've read through this scroll and can't see the answer to my particular question, much as it's about a topic that you're probably tiring of ...

When you chose githvyrik did you experiment with any other names for your new Gith "race"? I'm having a bit of trouble coming up with a decent one of my own, just wondering if you had some leftovers I could steal. (I was led here by a post from Sage in my Gith races scroll.)

btw, the Twilight Trilogy were among my favourite Realms novels, thanx

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 16 Nov 2010 20:32:54
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2010 :  19:53:30  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arik

Hi Paul,

When you chose githvyrik did you experiment with any other names for your new Gith "race"? I'm having a bit of trouble coming up with a decent one of my own, just wondering if you had some leftovers I could steal. (I was led here by a post from Sage in my Gith races scroll.)

btw, the Twilight Trilogy were among my favourite Realms novels, thanx

Arik,

I'm sorry to say that I honestly don't remember. I suspect the answer is "yes," and that we finally settled on Githvyrik for one reason or another. Alas, no leftovers. Sorry, brother.

Thanks for the kind words regarding The Twilight War. Much obliged.

Paul

Edited by - PaulSKemp on 17 Nov 2010 19:54:01
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2010 :  19:54:36  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ananta

quote:

Oh damn that was awesome. May Trickster's hairy toes suffocate me if I ain't waiting for that book like there's no tomorrow :D

Making Elden The Oracle is simply brilliant.

Simply amazing work on The Erevis Cale and The Twilight War Trilogies. Keep up the good work.

Thank you, Ananta. I really appreciate it. :-)

Paul
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2010 :  23:23:17  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Paul I can't wait to read your Old Republic Novels!!!

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7968 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2010 :  23:38:39  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
PaulSKemp
quote:
When you chose githvyrik did you experiment with any other names for your new Gith "race"? I'm having a bit of trouble coming up with a decent one of my own, just wondering if you had some leftovers I could steal.
I'm sorry to say that I honestly don't remember. I suspect the answer is "yes," and that we finally settled on Githvyrik for one reason or another. Alas, no leftovers. Sorry, brother.
Thanx for your reply, Paul.

One last question on this topic (I promise!) ...

Can you say if there will be any new Gith races in the future, or say anything about them? (I mean not Githyanki, Githzerai, Gith Pirate, degenerate Gith, nor Githvyrik.)

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 18 Nov 2010 03:12:09
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2010 :  17:47:45  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Arik

[quote]Can you say if there will be any new Gith races in the future, or say anything about them? (I mean not Githyanki, Githzerai, Gith Pirate, degenerate Gith, nor Githvyrik.)

Arik,

I have no plans for other Gith races to appear in my novels.
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7968 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2010 :  18:11:17  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you, Paul.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 28 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000