Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Paul S Kemp
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 28

Sandro
Learned Scribe

New Zealand
266 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2010 :  06:04:52  Show Profile Send Sandro a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by dennis
Hmm, I thought most people here are sick and tired of the Shadovar. Don't want to drop names, though. I'm glad you're not, for like you, I read the Twiligh War Trilogy primarily because of the Shadovar (and because of Paul's style, too). I think they are the most interesting, complex, and fascinating villains ever created. They also remind me of the primary villain in my book (which I am still editing). Anyway, I am also looking forward to Godborn!

Heh, I've always been too much of a fan of Netheril to do anything but love novels involving it and its scions. Of course, the Shadovar being great characters (oreso in Twilight War than in Archwizards, I will note, especially the relationship between Brennus and Rivalen in the former), and Telamont is still one of the most powerful wizards (he bound a Lord of Hell ) on Faerűn.

In fact, while I agree with many that some of the changes in 4th edition aren't entirely savoury, the re-establishment of Netheril as more than just Shade has me very excited.

"Gods, little fishes, and spells to turn the one to the other," Mordenkainen sighed. "It's started already..."
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2010 :  06:37:01  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sandro

quote:
Hmm, I thought most people here are sick and tired of the Shadovar. Don't want to drop names, though. I'm glad you're not, for like you, I read the Twiligh War Trilogy primarily because of the Shadovar (and because of Paul's style, too). I think they are the most interesting, complex, and fascinating villains ever created. They also remind me of the primary villain in my book (which I am still editing). Anyway, I am also looking forward to Godborn!

Heh, I've always been too much of a fan of Netheril to do anything but love novels involving it and its scions. Of course, the Shadovar being great characters (oreso in Twilight War than in Archwizards, I will note, especially the relationship between Brennus and Rivalen in the former), and Telamont is still one of the most powerful wizards (he bound a Lord of Hell ) on Faerűn.

That scene when he bound Mephistopheles and withstood the latter's attack sans falling on his knees surprised me. And I thought, well, finally Paul gave justice to the The Most High. Somehow I am tired of just seeing him behind the scenes (manipulating, scheming, commanding his sons, etc.), so it was really good that Paul provided him an opportunity to show his power.

Hopefully we'll see more of him and not just Rivalen and Brennus in Godborn. (Will we, Paul?)

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2010 :  08:38:06  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Paul,

Just wanted to thank you for your answer concerning Alkenen. Very interesting character, indeed!

Best regards,

Ergdusch

P.S.: Btw, I finished Twilight Falling last night and enjoyed it all through. So my thanks for the great read.

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."
Go to Top of Page

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2010 :  19:37:15  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Paul,

I just read "Too long in the dark".

Is there any relation between Ascalagon and Furlinastis?
Or any other content that relates to Erevis Cale or the Twilight War? I did not note any when reading it. Enjoyed the story very much by the way!

-

"You make an intriguing offer, one that is very tempting. It would seem that I have little alternative than to answer thusly: DISINTEGRATE!" Vaarsuvius, Order of the Stick 625
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2010 :  20:44:13  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by skychrome

Hi Paul,

I just read "Too long in the dark".

Is there any relation between Ascalagon and Furlinastis?
Or any other content that relates to Erevis Cale or the Twilight War? I did not note any when reading it. Enjoyed the story very much by the way!

-

No known connection, Skychrome.

Paul
Go to Top of Page

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2010 :  04:19:04  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi there Paul,

I have a question regarding the publishing of the Cycle of Night books. You mentioned Godborn will probably be due in 2011.

Richard Lee Byers stated recently, that his Brotherhood of the Griffon trilogy has release dates for the individual books that follow up aprox. half a year after one another and that this has been a decision by WoTC to speed up the release time between books.

Personally I think that is a very good move. Have you already discussed this subject with WoTC or Phil Atans? Will the three books be released in a shorter period of time?

"You make an intriguing offer, one that is very tempting. It would seem that I have little alternative than to answer thusly: DISINTEGRATE!" Vaarsuvius, Order of the Stick 625
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2010 :  15:40:56  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hi there Paul,

I have a question regarding the publishing of the Cycle of Night books. You mentioned Godborn will probably be due in 2011.

Richard Lee Byers stated recently, that his Brotherhood of the Griffon trilogy has release dates for the individual books that follow up aprox. half a year after one another and that this has been a decision by WoTC to speed up the release time between books.

Personally I think that is a very good move. Have you already discussed this subject with WoTC or Phil Atans? Will the three books be released in a shorter period of time?

Skychrome,

Phil and I have talked about a more rapid release schedule, yes. How that will actually play out, I don't know just yet. :-)
Go to Top of Page

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 10 Jun 2010 :  19:58:02  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PaulSKemp
Skychrome,

Phil and I have talked about a more rapid release schedule, yes. How that will actually play out, I don't know just yet. :-)

Ok, great. Really looking forward to any news regarding the series. Please let us know when you actually finish writing Godborn!

Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2010 :  06:40:24  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Hopefully the release dates will be like the Brotherhood of the Griffon.

Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2010 :  11:42:29  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm looking for information on Alashar Crywinds (the wife of Telamont Tanthul).
P.S. I finally got directed to the right Sage of Candlekeep...

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2010 :  15:51:33  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zireael

What information? If I know have it, I'll be happy to share.

Edited by - PaulSKemp on 14 Jun 2010 15:52:11
Go to Top of Page

Zireael
Master of Realmslore

Poland
1190 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2010 :  18:01:28  Show Profile  Visit Zireael's Homepage Send Zireael a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Something on her personality, alignment, looks... That sort of thing. Her extra-short description in Netheril boxed set had me really intrigued. Is she really a bard? How powerful is she? Did Telamont fall in love with her? What does she think of her many sons? Did having them weaken her physically? She must be something, to think that she first hunted Telamont himself and then he took her as wife.

SiNafay Vrinn, the daughter of Lloth, from Ched Nasad!

http://zireael07.wordpress.com/
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2010 :  20:50:36  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Something on her personality, alignment, looks... That sort of thing. Her extra-short description in Netheril boxed set had me really intrigued. Is she really a bard? How powerful is she? Did Telamont fall in love with her? What does she think of her many sons? Did having them weaken her physically? She must be something, to think that she first hunted Telamont himself and then he took her as wife.

I described her in "Continuum," my short story in "Realms of War," as pale and dark haired. I don't get into her powers/classes, as such, as she only appears at the beginning of the story. But I'd imagine her to be quite powerful.

As I've presented Telemont in the Twilight War -- yes, he loved her very much. My conception of her was one in which she loved all her sons, though she had a particularly strong attachment with Brennus.
Go to Top of Page

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2010 :  18:48:24  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Paul, I just read Soulbound and Another Name for Dawn and thus finally managed to read everything you have written in the realms (and published) so far.

I liked Soulbound a lot, but was absolutely fascinated by Another Name for Dawn!!! To me this is some of the best stuff you have written (together with Continuum)!
I think you have an extraordinary talent for visualizing the realms with detailed descriptions, especially in city settings! I always loved your Selgaunt city atmosphere by providing atmospheric details on streets, buildings, rooms, items, citizens etc. Though I loved the Twilight War Trilogy, I even liked better those detailed and less epic parts in Halls of Stormweather, Shadow's Wittness, parts of the EC trilogy and now Another Name for Dawn. Absolutely great!
I don't remember if it was Shadow's Wittness or the beginning of the EC trilogy, but I always remember this part where you really made me feel as if I myself was standing in that dark Selgaunt alley watching the main street, while smelling from the lit window above the scent of cooking...
It is probably those moments where the characters are waiting for someone to pass by or come out of a building, that provide the space to describe what one feels and sees happening around while waiting there.

Thanks for writing such great stuff in the realms! And even though I know that The Cycle of Night books will be quite epic again, I hope you'll still find some space to slow the pace down from time to time and write some of those atmospheric and detailed descriptions again that really make the realms come alive!

Edited by - skychrome on 21 Jun 2010 18:52:19
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2010 :  14:57:54  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Thanks for writing such great stuff in the realms! And even though I know that The Cycle of Night books will be quite epic again, I hope you'll still find some space to slow the pace down from time to time and write some of those atmospheric and detailed descriptions again that really make the realms come alive!

I'll give it try, brother.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 24 Jun 2010 :  08:19:04  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Paul, I heard Phil is leaving Wizards. Who's editing your new trilogy?

Go to Top of Page

Kyrene
Senior Scribe

South Africa
726 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2010 :  15:45:28  Show Profile  Visit Kyrene's Homepage Send Kyrene a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Paul,

Apart from hunting down a physical copy of Dragon Magazine #277, is there any other way of getting my hands on "Another Name for Dawn"? I see the PDF version over at Paizo does not in fact include it due to licensing issues.

Lost for words? Find them in the Glossary of Phrases, Sayings & Words of the Realms
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 25 Jun 2010 :  23:22:22  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kyrene

Paul,

Apart from hunting down a physical copy of Dragon Magazine #277, is there any other way of getting my hands on "Another Name for Dawn"? I see the PDF version over at Paizo does not in fact include it due to licensing issues.

@Dennis: I haven't yet heard.

@Kyrene: I don't think there is any other way at this point. If WotC decides to do a gift set or something similar at some point in the future, I aim to try and finagle a way to get it in there. We considered putting it in the Erevis Cale Omnibus, but decided in the end that the two stories we did include fit the Omnibus better (in terms of the chronology).
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2010 :  00:50:02  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Paul, is Godborn really scheduled for release this July? Well, that's what I read in o-love.net. But I don't see it in Wizards' website.

Go to Top of Page

Bakra
Senior Scribe

628 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2010 :  15:57:14  Show Profile Send Bakra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Paul, is Godborn really scheduled for release this July? Well, that's what I read in o-love.net. But I don't see it in Wizards' website.

I thought this was the original release date? I did a search using the ISBN 0786954973 and was unable to turn up a release date for it on WotC, Amazon or Better World Books. I wish they would hurry up and make an announcement. The suspense is killing me.

I hope Candlekeep continues to be the friendly forum of fellow Realms-lovers that it has always been, as we all go through this together. If you don’t want to move to the “new” Realms, that doesn’t mean there’s anything wrong with either you or the “old” Realms. Goodness knows Candlekeep, and the hearts of its scribes, are both big enough to accommodate both. If we want them to be.
(Strikes dramatic pose, raises sword to gleam in the sunset, and hopes breeches won’t fall down.)
Enough for now. The Realms lives! I have spoken! Ale and light wines half price, served by a smiling Storm Silverhand fetchingly clad in thigh-high boots and naught else! Ahem . .
So saith Ed. <snip>
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2010 :  04:47:31  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I'm having a feeling this book will lure the 4E-haters...

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2010 :  13:38:43  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I think the effect, if any would be the opposite.

Trolls attract "haters", well written, accurate to the spirit of the realms work like Paul does can only help sooth any ruffled feathers.

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2010 :  16:09:16  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

quote:

Trolls attract "haters", well written, accurate to the spirit of the realms work like Paul does can only help sooth any ruffled feathers.

Hmm, it seems like the word "lure" appears vague to you.

Let me quote M-W Dictionary: "lure (verb): to draw with a hint of pleasure or gain : attract actively and strongly."

In other words, what I meant in my quoted scroll is that the 4E-haters who shun all or almost all 4E books will be inclined to read Paul's new novel.

Go to Top of Page

The Red Walker
Great Reader

USA
3563 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2010 :  20:33:41  Show Profile Send The Red Walker a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by The Red Walker

quote:

K
Hmm, it seems like the word "lure" appears vague to you. k

Let me quote M-W Dictionary: "lure (verb): to draw with a hint of pleasure or gain : attract actively and strongly."

In other words, what I meant in my quoted scroll is that the 4E-haters who shun all or almost all 4E books will be inclined to read Paul's new novel.

I guess I'm not used to seeing lure or lured used as a positive.....usually see used as in lured into a trap! (according to any dictionary, like most words it has multiple meanings.....

But, I agree that Paul and Richard's fine work should draw many readers new, old and indifferent into the realms!

Edited to slay that nefarious Triple Post gremlin!

A little nonsense now and then, relished by the wisest men - Willy Wonka

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." -

John F. Kennedy, speech in Dublin, Ireland, June 28, 1963

Edited by - The Red Walker on 03 Jul 2010 21:02:53
Go to Top of Page

jornan
Learned Scribe

Canada
256 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2010 :  16:15:30  Show Profile Send jornan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just read in the back cover of The Ghost King paperback that Godborn isn't scheduled for release until July 2012!

That is one hell of a wait.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2010 :  02:22:40  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Really?

Paul, can you please clarify this?!

Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2010 :  13:34:15  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Really?

Paul, can you please clarify this?!

Dennis,

I would if I could, but I honestly don't know. The last I heard, the novel was planned for a 2011 release. And with Phil gone I don't even know who to ask about the release date (since I still don't have an editor).
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2010 :  19:58:34  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
From what I'm hearing, Godborn will be released in 2012. I don't know why the release was pushed back. Sorry about the delay, all.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 17 Jul 2010 :  07:21:41  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Uh-oh.....What a long wait...

Go to Top of Page

Kyrene
Senior Scribe

South Africa
726 Posts

Posted - 11 Aug 2010 :  09:14:58  Show Profile  Visit Kyrene's Homepage Send Kyrene a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Paul,

Did you ever put other directly translated words, like the Erevis translated “killing” and “hunted” in Another Name for Dawn, into any of the other books/stories about him? I know he was literate in many other languages as well, but can’t seem to recall if your narrative ever gave us lore junkies any direct Elven, Dwarven, or other language, words apart from in the same style as Cale translating Wave Runner into other languages (without mentioning the actual words in those languages).

Lost for words? Find them in the Glossary of Phrases, Sayings & Words of the Realms
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 28 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000