Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Paul S Kemp
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 28

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2010 :  19:00:39  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sfdragon

http://paulskemp.livejournal.com/273952.html
its been resolved
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3GwjfUFyY6M

W00T! I guess I have to get my butt in gear and read the Twilight War and Erevis Cale trilogies now... I bought them months ago, shortly before learning of the cancellation... then read "His Dark Materials" (The Golden Compass, etc.) and Jack Whyte's Templar Trilogy (among other things), then (about 3 weeks ago) promptly dove into A Song of Fire and Ice, as my roommates had just finished reading Book 2... which I'm now about halfway through. I don't have as much time to read as I used to, but that's mostly because of this infernal machine that I'm currently sitting in front of. It's a real love-hate relationship, me and technology...

Anyway, congrats, Paul! Good to see you back; I'll try to have those books read before the new trilogy is complete.

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.

Edited by - Jakk on 03 Mar 2010 19:02:37
Go to Top of Page

Dart Ambermoon
Learned Scribe

Germany
253 Posts

Posted - 04 Mar 2010 :  02:07:42  Show Profile  Visit Dart Ambermoon's Homepage Send Dart Ambermoon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just now read the good news and have only one word to say...AWESOME!!!

~ In Finder I trust, for danger I lust ~
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2010 :  13:39:20  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well Paul, I started reading Crosscurrent tonight around 130am.

It is a great novel.

I am around 250 pages in. It drew me in, and I didn't want to stop reading.

Scribes, if you haven't picked up Crosscurrent you are missing out.

"These things also I have observed: that knowledge of our world is
to be nurtured like a precious flower, for it is the most precious
thing we have. Wherefore guard the word written and heed
words unwritten and set them down ere they fade . . . Learn
then, well, the arts of reading, writing, and listening true, and they
will lead you to the greatest art of all: understanding."
Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2010 :  15:06:23  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brimstone

Well Paul, I started reading Crosscurrent tonight around 130am.

It is a great novel.

I am around 250 pages in. It drew me in, and I didn't want to stop reading.

Scribes, if you haven't picked up Crosscurrent you are missing out.

Great to hear, Brimstone. Thank you. Do you read a lot of Star Wars EU novels?
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 06 Mar 2010 :  23:34:02  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
No.

It was my first time.

I plan on reading more STAR WARS novels now.

Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2010 :  00:51:53  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

No.

It was my first time.

I plan on reading more STAR WARS novels now.

You might want to research which novels you want to read first -- especially if this is your first time with SW EU fiction.

And while I do advocate a completely and thorough reading of every book published, I will note that some are entirely more fitting and worthwhile reads, than others. But, again, this will depend upon your own personal interests when re: the SW universe. Some readers have often disliked the prevalent nature of the Jedi and/or Sith in almost every novel. While other fans have cared more for bounty hunters and other assorted scum featuring as primary protagonists.

This is only a narrow sampling of character-types, of course. The novels generally tend to offer plenty of diversity in terms of actual main and support characters. But I thought it worthwhile to point out how some portions of the readership consider the books.

Your mileage will undoubtedly vary.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage

Edited by - The Sage on 07 Mar 2010 00:54:43
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 07 Mar 2010 :  04:13:35  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Trust me I have heard about the 'Bad' novels.

I like it all sofar.

I figure I will finish Crosscurrent, then it will be time to start Avenger, hey?

Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 17 Mar 2010 :  12:59:59  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Paul, could you shed some light on when we can aproximately expect so see Godborn on the shelves?

And will you also write Godbound and Godslayer as originally planned?

"You make an intriguing offer, one that is very tempting. It would seem that I have little alternative than to answer thusly: DISINTEGRATE!" Vaarsuvius, Order of the Stick 625
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2010 :  14:24:40  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by skychrome

Paul, could you shed some light on when we can aproximately expect so see Godborn on the shelves?

And will you also write Godbound and Godslayer as originally planned?

SC,

The release date is still being finalized. And yes, I'll be writing the whole Cycle of Night trilogy.
Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2010 :  04:14:44  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Happy Birthday Paul!

Your 29 now?

Any word on when the first novel will be released?

EDIT: Its still the 3rd of April here in Texas.

Alaundo of Candlekeep

Edited by - Brimstone on 04 Apr 2010 04:15:44
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2010 :  17:37:41  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Happy Birthday Paul!

Your 29 now?

Any word on when the first novel will be released?

EDIT: Its still the 3rd of April here in Texas.

Thanks, Brimstone. Much appreciated. No word on released dates. I'll definitely post when I know. I'm guessing next year, though, to be honest.
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2010 :  20:35:17  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
happy belated birthday If I missed it Paul.

maybe WOTC will give you a birthday present and keep the same release date or give you one close to it.... one can dream.

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Elfinblade
Senior Scribe

Norway
377 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2010 :  22:23:33  Show Profile Send Elfinblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
maybe WOTC will give you a birthday present and keep the same release date or give you one close to it.... one can dream.

What he said :)
Go to Top of Page

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 06 Apr 2010 :  00:58:34  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Elfinblade

quote:

What he said :)

So do I! And Paul: late happy birthday! Be there many many more to come!

"You make an intriguing offer, one that is very tempting. It would seem that I have little alternative than to answer thusly: DISINTEGRATE!" Vaarsuvius, Order of the Stick 625
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 07 Apr 2010 :  23:15:32  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Paul,

I finally got around to reading... all of it. The Erevis Cale trilogy and the Twilight War trilogy. Simply brilliant... can't wait for the Cycle of Night.

A quick question about the end of the Twilight War trilogy, without spoilers... is the apparent mother-child relationship in the last few pages for real?

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

Go to Top of Page

Brimstone
Great Reader

USA
3285 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2010 :  04:10:38  Show Profile Send Brimstone a Private Message  Reply with Quote
It's a mind blower, huh?

Alaundo of Candlekeep
Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2010 :  04:40:45  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just a bit, yeah... I'm putting together a genealogy of the Faerunian pantheon, and the more canon relationships I have, the fewer things I need to make up.

Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2010 :  15:39:57  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jakk

Paul,

I finally got around to reading... all of it. The Erevis Cale trilogy and the Twilight War trilogy. Simply brilliant... can't wait for the Cycle of Night.

A quick question about the end of the Twilight War trilogy, without spoilers... is the apparent mother-child relationship in the last few pages for real?

Thanks, Jakk. I'm pleased that you dug on the series.

And yes, the mother-child relationship is real.
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 08 Apr 2010 :  15:49:02  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage Some readers have often disliked the prevalent nature of the Jedi and/or Sith in almost every novel. While other fans have cared more for bounty hunters and other assorted scum featuring as primary protagonists.

My brother is one such. He prefers anything about the bounty hunters and anything about Red Squadron/X-Wing pilots.

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2010 :  16:00:23  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Paul, I have a question regarding the end of Shadowrealm:

As Cale prays to Mask, his soul is counted as one of the faithful and is thus supposedly recovered by Mask from the fugue plane.

But as Mask "dies" later, what happens to Cale's soul (and basically all other faithful souls in Mask's domain)?

Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2010 :  16:05:42  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

As Cale prays to Mask, his soul is counted as one of the faithful and is thus supposedly recovered by Mask from the fugue plane.

Is that what happened? You sure?
Go to Top of Page

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 16 Apr 2010 :  16:42:59  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PaulSKemp

quote:

Is that what happened? You sure?

Ok, yes I know that Mask is not really dead. But at least he will not be present for a defined period of time (before Vasen brings him back??).
So what happens to his faithful souls in the meantime? Home alone without parental/godly supervision?

Go to Top of Page

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2010 :  03:37:02  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Paul, could you give Brennus some nice parts in the upcoming trilogy? Since I read Continuum he has become my favorite realms character and I would love to see more of him.

Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2010 :  19:13:36  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Paul, could you give Brennus some nice parts in the upcoming trilogy? Since I read Continuum he has become my favorite realms character and I would love to see more of him.

SC,

Brennus has an important role to play in the Cycle of Night.
Go to Top of Page

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2010 :  23:33:24  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PaulSKemp

quote:

SC,

Brennus has an important role to play in the Cycle of Night.

Great! Thanks for the answer Paul! And congratulations again for how you portrayed him in Continuum. You really did a masterpiece with that short story!

Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2010 :  21:47:23  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello Paul,

I have a question regarding a rather minor character of yours from a book of yours published 7 years back. However, I hope you might give me some info on him none the less.

Alkenen the peddler is featured in Twilight Falling on p. 32 et seq. I was wondering if you have any further information on this character, i.e. on backround, personality, abilities, his business contacts or traveling routes, etc. Esp. cormyr-related contacts would be of great interest to me.

Further I was wondering, if Alkenen is able to detect magic himself or if a friend or associate would check his goods for magic from time to time. Or could it be that Alkenen regularly sells magic items without him knowing so?

Thanks in advance for your answer and best regards,

Ergdusch

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."
Go to Top of Page

Sandro
Learned Scribe

New Zealand
266 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2010 :  09:50:27  Show Profile Send Sandro a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hey Paul,

I just finished reading The Twilight War trilogy (though I do admit I read it more for the presence of the Shadovar than any other reason ), and it was absolutely astounding -- but you've heard all that before. Still, it bears repeating. I haven't read books that caught my attention and imagination so much in a long time: it felt good to get lost in the Realms again.

I eagerly await Godborn, now, and am beyond thrilled at hearing it's back on (and this time, not just because it'll have Shadovar in it). I'll be keeping my eyes peeled for the Erevis Cale trilogy omnibus, as the originals are desperately hard to find down in this corner of the world.

"Gods, little fishes, and spells to turn the one to the other," Mordenkainen sighed. "It's started already..."
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2010 :  19:55:45  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sandro

Hey Paul,

I just finished reading The Twilight War trilogy (though I do admit I read it more for the presence of the Shadovar than any other reason ), and it was absolutely astounding -- but you've heard all that before. Still, it bears repeating. I haven't read books that caught my attention and imagination so much in a long time: it felt good to get lost in the Realms again.

I eagerly await Godborn, now, and am beyond thrilled at hearing it's back on (and this time, not just because it'll have Shadovar in it). I'll be keeping my eyes peeled for the Erevis Cale trilogy omnibus, as the originals are desperately hard to find down in this corner of the world.

I appreciate that a great deal, Sandro. Thank you kindly.

Paul
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2010 :  20:07:47  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ergdusch

Alkenen the peddler is featured in Twilight Falling on p. 32 et seq. I was wondering if you have any further information on this character, i.e. on backround, personality, abilities, his business contacts or traveling routes, etc. Esp. cormyr-related contacts would be of great interest to me.

Further I was wondering, if Alkenen is able to detect magic himself or if a friend or associate would check his goods for magic from time to time. Or could it be that Alkenen regularly sells magic items without him knowing so?

Ergdusch,

You're forcing me deep down the memory hole here, brother.

In my conception, Alkenen was what we might kindly term "touched," or what we might ungenerously call "nuts." He was about two degrees of separation from the crazy street preacher who shouts at clouds.

Given his state of mind (probably caused by either a head injury, narcotic usage as a younger man, or both) he didn't have much in the way of established routes, instead traveling the heartlands along whatever roads struck him as appropriate from moment to moment. In a way, that's helped his trade, in that he's been able to procure some true oddities from some out of the way places (it's also put him in considerable danger several times). Of course, he eventually tended to find his way back to the various cities/towns that served as the anchor points of his wanderings (Selgaunt, Saerloon, Daerlun, etc.).

He could probably spin a few interesting tales about life on the road if one could tolerate considerable tangential digressions during the telling. He's also a wealth of information about back roads and little known villages throughout Sembia and eastern Cormyr. He's got a lot of leagues under his boots and could be an extraordinary contact for a group of adventurers in the area.

He probably doesn't check his wares for enchantment with any regularity (again, owing to his state of mind and the fact that, deep down, he's really not so much a profiteer as a bit of a crazy old coot afflicted with wanderlust and a taste for oddball items). So sure, he could easily sell a magic item in ignorance.

Edited by - PaulSKemp on 10 May 2010 20:09:37
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2010 :  04:27:44  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sandro

Hey Paul,

Hmm, I thought most people here are sick and tired of the Shadovar. Don't want to drop names, though. I'm glad you're not, for like you, I read the Twiligh War Trilogy primarily because of the Shadovar (and because of Paul's style, too). I think they are the most interesting, complex, and fascinating villains ever created. They also remind me of the primary villain in my book (which I am still editing). Anyway, I am also looking forward to Godborn!

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 28 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000