Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Paul S Kemp
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 28

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2009 :  15:36:46  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Paul, I am curious about how you usually gather the "lore" necessary for your characters and settings?

I like very much your sense for details and I guess, that requires quite a lot of research.
So how do you usually proceed?

How did you for instance stumble over Telflammar and decided to integrate some characters from there?

-

"You make an intriguing offer, one that is very tempting. It would seem that I have little alternative than to answer thusly: DISINTEGRATE!" Vaarsuvius, Order of the Stick 625
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2009 :  17:55:40  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by skychrome

Paul, I am curious about how you usually gather the "lore" necessary for your characters and settings?

I like very much your sense for details and I guess, that requires quite a lot of research.
So how do you usually proceed?

How did you for instance stumble over Telflammar and decided to integrate some characters from there?

Well, it varies. Obviously I consult relevant sourcebooks and novels, but I also usually throw a query or two Ed's way (I try to keep down on those, knowing how busy he is), and Eric Boyd and George Krashos have been a big help to me over the years.

Go to Top of Page

edappel
Learned Scribe

Brazil
211 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2009 :  19:59:07  Show Profile Send edappel a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Another one, Mr. Kemp.
I would like to understand, why Cale's "shadowstep" sometimes has a restricted range, and sometimes he can travel all over the world.
(The first, I checked on the fight Vs Forrin's at Shadowbred)

Thanks!

--- Ed Appel

*** I'm a brazilian FR fan. So, feel free to correct my writing mistakes to improve my english.
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2009 :  20:03:53  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by edappel

Another one, Mr. Kemp.
I would like to understand, why Cale's "shadowstep" sometimes has a restricted range, and sometimes he can travel all over the world.
(The first, I checked on the fight Vs Forrin's at Shadowbred)

Ed,

His ability to shadowstep is limited to line of sight, from one area of shadow/darkness to another and has no possibility of error. His ability to teleport between worlds or across the world (by pulling the darkness around him and feeling the correspondence with the darkness in some distant locale) is a different ability. For this latter ability, he doesn't need line of sight but there is a possibility he could "miss" his desired location (and there are some other restrictions, too; e.g., the same things that could block/fould a teleport spell would also block/foul this ability).
Go to Top of Page

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 17 Apr 2009 :  20:21:59  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Paul, if I understood correctly, in 4e there is no scrying magic anymore...

So, Brennus would have to dedicate his time to a different "industry" in the Cycle of Night Trilogy?

I guess you won't have him open up "Brennus' Golem and constructs repair shop" in a mall on Sakkors, right?

"You make an intriguing offer, one that is very tempting. It would seem that I have little alternative than to answer thusly: DISINTEGRATE!" Vaarsuvius, Order of the Stick 625
Go to Top of Page

VEDSICA
Senior Scribe

USA
466 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2009 :  03:29:14  Show Profile  Visit VEDSICA's Homepage Send VEDSICA a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well Met Paul.Haven't spoken to you in a long long time.I just caught wind that you have another trilogy coming next year.Is that true??I have seen the titles of the novels,and to be honest I am very intrigued.Any info at your leisure would be very much appreciated...Oh and congrats on receiving this opportunity.I am sure that you are very excited about it,and will bring a smashing new and exciting trilogy for us all to enjoy..

LIFE,BIRTH,BLOOD,DOOM---THE HOLE IN THE GROUND IS COMING ROUND SOON----BLS
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2009 :  13:39:46  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by VEDSICA

Well Met Paul.Haven't spoken to you in a long long time.I just caught wind that you have another trilogy coming next year.Is that true??I have seen the titles of the novels,and to be honest I am very intrigued.Any info at your leisure would be very much appreciated...Oh and congrats on receiving this opportunity.I am sure that you are very excited about it,and will bring a smashing new and exciting trilogy for us all to enjoy..

Ved,

It has been a long while. Good to see you.

I am writing another trilogy in FR, one that builds off the events of the Twilight War. The trilogy is entitled The Cycle of Night and the first novel, Godborn, will be released around the middle of next year (I believe). It will feature Cale's son, Vasen, as well as some familiar faces.

Paul
Go to Top of Page

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 13 Jun 2009 :  22:34:06  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Hi Paul, how's the writing on Godborn doing? I can't wait to read it!

I recently read all your FR books again. I especially liked the middle books of your trilogies. The scenes in Skullport and the Adumbral Calyx have been probably the best I have read in fantasy literature since Tolkien. In terms of visualizing these great great settings, you really did an incredible job!

I have two questions regarding these parts:

1) When you introduced Vara, did you have already in mind that she would be the mother of Vasen?

After all it felt a bit as if Vara also had some kind of epic destiny to fulfill just as Cale.

2) I loved Gobitran and the female elf who were with Kesson!
Any villain is much more interesting with more individualistic and interesting fellows instead of all the uniform lackeys. This made an enormous difference.
Now, since you base your writing generally around well developped characters, I was wondering how much more background you had on your mind regarding the gnome and the elf?
Can you tell a bit more about them? How did they come to your mind? Were did they come from? What were their motives?

Thank you very much in advance for your answers!

Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2009 :  19:05:57  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote

Skychrome,

Godborn is coming along well.

As for Varra, yes, I had in mind for her something special, should a later book arise and give me the opportunity (as indeed it did). I try to do this often -- seeding my current book with small, inconspicious plot seeds that I intend to develop later on, if and as opportunities arise.

As for Gobitran and the elf, both are mentioned in Faiths and Pantheons in the Adumbryl Calyx sidebar. I had to flesh them out some, but the structure was already there, so we can both thank Erik Mona for that (he wrote the Adumbral Calyx sidebar). While I did modify Volumvax from the entry in F&P to suit the Kesson Rel/Mask/Shar storyline, I tried to stay true to it otherwise as best I could (and that included using Gobitran and the elf).

Edited by - PaulSKemp on 17 Jun 2009 19:06:46
Go to Top of Page

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2009 :  00:25:29  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Paul, thank you very much!

I will check out F&P then. Anyways I was just wondering if you gave them both some more background in your mind, which you then did not put in the book...?

Keep on the great writing!

Go to Top of Page

Jakk
Great Reader

Canada
2165 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2009 :  20:19:00  Show Profile Send Jakk a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alisttair

CHAPTERS SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Alisttair, I can't actually say that right now (but I've certainly been able to agree with you in the past); Chapters.ca was the only place I was able to find the Shadow War trilogy... and yes, that was my purpose in posting here today.

I had heard so many rave reviews from other scribes here that this was a trilogy that I had to read... and it's the first Realms trilogy marketed as a trilogy that I've read since the Drizzt prequel trilogy (Homeland/Exile/Sojourn). I just drifted away from reading Realms novels, partly because the novels seemed to be the prime movers of the campaign setting timeline, so I knew I would get a summary of the novels in the next timeline update.

With the new edition, I have generally tried to stay as far away from canon as possible, largely because following canon would completely shatter my campaign storyline... and I'm not using 4e rules anyway. I am, however, interested in what the Shades have been up to in Sembia, and particularly in the canon fate of Mask. Not that I'll be adopting it into my campaign... Mask is one of my three favourite deities, along with Bhaal and Myrkul, so I didn't like the ToT much, either. I'll return when I've finished reading the trilogy in question... I suspect to post another rave review.

Playing in the Realms since the Old Grey Box (1987)... and *still* having fun with material published before 2008, despite the NDA'd lore.

If it's comparable in power with non-magical abilities, it's not magic.

Edited by - Jakk on 19 Aug 2009 20:22:14
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2009 :  15:45:27  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Jakk,

I hope you enjoy.
Go to Top of Page

Lauzoril
Seeker

Finland
71 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2009 :  22:35:37  Show Profile  Visit Lauzoril's Homepage Send Lauzoril a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Greetings, Paul

I enjoyed the Twilight War Trilogy and especially the Shadowrealm, it concluded things more or less dramatically. Out of all the stories told in there, one nags me.

*Spoiler*

Tamlin got what he deserved but what about the rest of Uskevren. The moment they learned that Shadovar were now in full control of Selgaunt, let alone Sembia. Did they just remained idle or left the city, if not even the whole country? I doubt they wanted to remain living under Shadovar rule.

"Death to the enemies of Bane."
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2009 :  00:44:39  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Paul, I'm just curious whether you are yet in a position to share any further particular tidbits about your upcoming Crosscurrent release for the "Star Wars" line?

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2009 :  04:05:06  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Plus: Paul just announced that he will be writing another Star Wars novel!

I just hope, that The Cycle of Night Trilogy will not suffer because of this! Waiting time is already tough enough...

Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2009 :  19:08:23  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Lauzoril

Greetings, Paul

I enjoyed the Twilight War Trilogy and especially the Shadowrealm, it concluded things more or less dramatically. Out of all the stories told in there, one nags me.

*Spoiler*

Tamlin got what he deserved but what about the rest of Uskevren. The moment they learned that Shadovar were now in full control of Selgaunt, let alone Sembia. Did they just remained idle or left the city, if not even the whole country? I doubt they wanted to remain living under Shadovar rule.

Lauz,

The remaining Uskevren are mentioned in (I believe) Shadowrealm as being "guests" of the ruler of Daerlun, which put them right at the geographical edge of then-Sembia. While I don't tell their story in The Twilight War, I'd guess that they ultimately moved into neighboring Cormyr to escape the political upheaval taking place in Sembia. Whether any subsequently tried to make contact with Tamlin is a matter of conjecture. Maybe someone will tell that story sometime.
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 30 Sep 2009 :  19:10:17  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Paul, I'm just curious whether you are yet in a position to share any further particular tidbits about your upcoming Crosscurrent release for the "Star Wars" line?

Sage,

Unfortunately I'm not. Del Rey/Lucasfilm is a bit more demanding than WotC when it comes to details about forthcoming books, so what I've said previously is about all I'm able to say at this point.

As Skychrome mentions, I will be writing another novel in the SW that builds off the events of Crosscurrent.

HOpefully, Del Rey will post an excerpt from the novel before too long.
Go to Top of Page

Sith_Lord_Drizzt
Seeker

Canada
92 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2009 :  17:35:18  Show Profile  Visit Sith_Lord_Drizzt's Homepage Send Sith_Lord_Drizzt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Paul, I just saw the cover to Godborn on your blog site. WOW! Vasen Cale looks like an interesting character. I can't wait to read about him. The cover is awesome. I cannot wait to get my hands on this novel! Here's the link for those of you who haven't had a chance to see this yet. http://pics.livejournal.com/paulskemp/pic/0000xzbk/

"Jarlaxle's grin disappeared as he turned his attention to Drizzt. He watched the fury of the drow unleashed. Jarlaxle had seen Drizzt in action many times before, but never like that".
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2009 :  18:00:15  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sith_Lord_Drizzt

Paul, I just saw the cover to Godborn on your blog site. WOW! Vasen Cale looks like an interesting character. I can't wait to read about him. The cover is awesome. I cannot wait to get my hands on this novel! Here's the link for those of you who haven't had a chance to see this yet. http://pics.livejournal.com/paulskemp/pic/0000xzbk/

SLD,

I agree completely. I've been lucky enough to have some great covers from WotC, but I think this is the best.
Go to Top of Page

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 07 Oct 2009 :  22:09:34  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Awesome! I did not like the covers from the Twilight War too much to be honest, but this one looks like a real evolution to me! Love it!

Go to Top of Page

Sith_Lord_Drizzt
Seeker

Canada
92 Posts

Posted - 08 Oct 2009 :  15:46:18  Show Profile  Visit Sith_Lord_Drizzt's Homepage Send Sith_Lord_Drizzt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, I for one was sad to see the demise of Erevis as he quickly became one of my favorite characters in the Realms. I am very intrigued with what you have planned next and Vasen looks like an interesting character. Can you give us some hints as to whether his personality is like Erevis' or is he totally different?

"Jarlaxle's grin disappeared as he turned his attention to Drizzt. He watched the fury of the drow unleashed. Jarlaxle had seen Drizzt in action many times before, but never like that".
Go to Top of Page

gomez
Learned Scribe

Netherlands
254 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2009 :  16:23:43  Show Profile  Visit gomez's Homepage Send gomez a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Heya Paul,

Is it known when the Cycle of Nigth trilogy is planned? It wasn't mentioned at Gencon, so I guess it is not this or next year?

I am personally interested if the new series will involve the Shadovar, especially as I am using them in my own plotlines as well, though I guess that is info that isn't available yet.

Gomez

Edited by - gomez on 13 Oct 2009 16:24:08
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2009 :  18:39:14  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by gomez

Heya Paul,

Is it known when the Cycle of Nigth trilogy is planned? It wasn't mentioned at Gencon, so I guess it is not this or next year?

I am personally interested if the new series will involve the Shadovar, especially as I am using them in my own plotlines as well, though I guess that is info that isn't available yet.

Gomez

Gomez,

Godborn, which is book one of THe Cycle of Night, is to be released in July '10. SLD linked to the cover art in a post above and I'm just blown away by Swanland's interpretation of Vasen.
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 13 Oct 2009 :  18:40:50  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Well, I for one was sad to see the demise of Erevis as he quickly became one of my favorite characters in the Realms. I am very intrigued with what you have planned next and Vasen looks like an interesting character. Can you give us some hints as to whether his personality is like Erevis' or is he totally different?

SLD,

That's very tough to answer at this point. I'd say some similarities and some differences, but that's so vague as to be useless. Honestly, I don't really want to color folks interpretation of him when the books hit. Can I ask you to wait for the release? Then YOU can tell ME.
Go to Top of Page

Sith_Lord_Drizzt
Seeker

Canada
92 Posts

Posted - 14 Oct 2009 :  21:59:25  Show Profile  Visit Sith_Lord_Drizzt's Homepage Send Sith_Lord_Drizzt a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PaulSKemp

quote:

SLD,

That's very tough to answer at this point. I'd say some similarities and some differences, but that's so vague as to be useless. Honestly, I don't really want to color folks interpretation of him when the books hit. Can I ask you to wait for the release? Then YOU can tell ME.

Fair enough! I can't wait!

Go to Top of Page

gomez
Learned Scribe

Netherlands
254 Posts

Posted - 16 Oct 2009 :  10:00:31  Show Profile  Visit gomez's Homepage Send gomez a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PaulSKemp
Godborn, which is book one of THe Cycle of Night, is to be released in July '10.

Thanks. I look forward to reading it.

Gomez
Go to Top of Page

skychrome
Senior Scribe

713 Posts

Posted - 02 Nov 2009 :  03:36:23  Show Profile  Visit skychrome's Homepage Send skychrome a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hi Paul,
I just read the teaser excerpt of Vasen's birth on your blog.
Poor Vara, I always liked her, but crossing Cale's path did not really improve life for her...
And I also wondered what happened between her an Derreg?
Anyway, made me kind of sad... and of course hungry for the rest of the book...

Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 04 Nov 2009 :  10:58:47  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I heard you ended your relationship to wotc.
sorry to hear that, was looking foward to godborn....

I really wish you and they would of left mask

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Ergdusch
Master of Realmslore

Germany
1720 Posts

Posted - 09 Nov 2009 :  08:50:30  Show Profile Send Ergdusch a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by sfdragon

I heard you ended your relationship to wotc.
sorry to hear that, was looking foward to godborn....

I really wish you and they would of left mask

There are a lot of scribes that shared their thoughts on this in a separate thread here.

These things happen, as sad as this may be. None the less I wish you all the best for your future projects, Paul.

And, I believe I speek for all of us here at Candlekeep:

We would be glad to see you here at the Keep every now and than. There most certainly is still lots of information you need to share with us about your FR-books and all the unique characters you created for the setting so far.

Hope to see you around!

Ergdusch

"Das Gras weht im Wind, wenn der Wind weht."
Go to Top of Page

Darth KTrava
Learned Scribe

USA
172 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2009 :  23:53:20  Show Profile  Visit Darth KTrava's Homepage Send Darth KTrava a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That was an awesome book cover! Too bad it won't see print....

Evil will be dealt with swiftly as it is my duty to remove such evil from my presence.
-Rozhena, Cleric/Divine Champion of Torm
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 28 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000