Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Paul S Kemp
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 28

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2007 :  15:02:54  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This scroll has now been unsealed at Paul Kemp's request.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Matthus
Senior Scribe

Germany
393 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2007 :  15:13:38  Show Profile Send Matthus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Welcome back Mr. Kemp!

Glad you had time and interest to join us here again – and first off all: Can we expect some more about Cale anytime soon? I read about your Test Drive – but would be interested in new lore – as I enjoyed the Trilogy two times already
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2007 :  16:05:57  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Matthus

Welcome back Mr. Kemp!

Glad you had time and interest to join us here again – and first off all: Can we expect some more about Cale anytime soon? I read about your Test Drive – but would be interested in new lore – as I enjoyed the Trilogy two times already

Matthus,

Thank you. Good to be back.

As for more Cale, you're aware of "Shadowbred," I trust? It's book one of the new "Twilight War," featuring Cale and crew. Book two, "Shadowstorm," will probably hit shelves in about a month and a half.

Edited by - PaulSKemp on 10 Jul 2007 16:06:54
Go to Top of Page

Verity
Acolyte

2 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2007 :  01:38:59  Show Profile  Visit Verity's Homepage Send Verity a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Will you be attending Gen Con this summer Paul?
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2007 :  02:42:15  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Verity

Will you be attending Gen Con this summer Paul?

Verity,

It does not look that way. If anything changes, I'll post an update to my blog.
Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2007 :  09:17:09  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Starting Shattered Mask right now I noticed (again) that the series now shows portaits of the main protagonists. Had you had any say on the looks of Erevis in Shadow's Witness? Or the other authros, for that matter?

Thanks, Zanan!

Cave quid dicis, quando et cui!

Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel!

In memory of Alura Durshavin.

Visit my "Homepage" to find A Guide to the Drow NPCs of Faerûn, Drow and non-Drow PrC and much more.
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2007 :  13:22:34  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Zanan

Starting Shattered Mask right now I noticed (again) that the series now shows portaits of the main protagonists. Had you had any say on the looks of Erevis in Shadow's Witness? Or the other authros, for that matter?

Thanks, Zanan!

Zanan,

I had no say. I really like the interior illustrations of all the Sembia characters, though.

In fact, as a birthday gift for me, my wife purchased and framed a print of the interior illustration of Erevis, signed by Terese Nielsen. It hangs in my den.

Edited by - PaulSKemp on 14 Jul 2007 13:24:17
Go to Top of Page

Elfinblade
Senior Scribe

Norway
377 Posts

Posted - 13 Aug 2007 :  21:53:09  Show Profile Send Elfinblade a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Greetings Paul. Glad to see you back in the Keep :)
Getting the shivers over here waiting for Shadowstorm though! when does it hit the shelves?
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2007 :  15:50:29  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Elfinblade

Greetings Paul. Glad to see you back in the Keep :)
Getting the shivers over here waiting for Shadowstorm though! when does it hit the shelves?

EB,

August 28th, though I'd be surprised if it didn't show up on some shelves a week or so before that. I hope you enjoy it.
Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2007 :  10:56:17  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Paul, is Cale going to gain more levels in the divine agent class? I read up on it in manual of the planes and noticed that Cale is going to get some nifty gift from Mask if he gains another level.

If I were a ranger, I would pick NDA for my favorite enemy
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2007 :  15:12:07  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by khorne

Paul, is Cale going to gain more levels in the divine agent class? I read up on it in manual of the planes and noticed that Cale is going to get some nifty gift from Mask if he gains another level.

Khorne,

I honestly had not yet thought about it in those terms. Hmmm.

Of course, I'm not so sure a nifty gift from Mask is all that great of a thing....
Go to Top of Page

NiTessine
Acolyte

Finland
34 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2007 :  22:54:50  Show Profile  Visit NiTessine's Homepage Send NiTessine a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello, Mr Kemp.

A question was raised on another gaming forum about a minor rule technicality pertaining to Erevis Cale, and I could not find an answer on the internet or through a cursory browse of the novels (And what splendid novels they are. I can't wait to get my mitts on Shadowstorm!). So, I ask here:

Are Erevis Cale's spells powered by the Weave or the Shadow Weave?

I notice that the stats you wrote up for him do not include the Shadow Weave Magic feat or any other note about him using the Shadow Weave. On the other hand, the novels strongly imply Shadow Weave. So, which is it?

http://nitessine.wordpress.com/
Worlds in a Handful of Dice
Go to Top of Page

Zanan
Senior Scribe

Germany
942 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2007 :  23:15:30  Show Profile  Visit Zanan's Homepage Send Zanan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not wanting to precede Mr. Kemp, but while Mask is one of the gods who has the Darkness domain, most of the shadowy stuff described probably comes from the Shade template, rather than the shadow weave.
(In any case, Shadow Magic (Tome of Magic) is more stylish than Shadow Weave Magic ;-).)

Cave quid dicis, quando et cui!

Gæð a wyrd swa hio scel!

In memory of Alura Durshavin.

Visit my "Homepage" to find A Guide to the Drow NPCs of Faerûn, Drow and non-Drow PrC and much more.

Edited by - Zanan on 22 Aug 2007 23:17:10
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2007 :  15:46:35  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by NiTessine

Hello, Mr Kemp.

A question was raised on another gaming forum about a minor rule technicality pertaining to Erevis Cale, and I could not find an answer on the internet or through a cursory browse of the novels (And what splendid novels they are. I can't wait to get my mitts on Shadowstorm!). So, I ask here:

Are Erevis Cale's spells powered by the Weave or the Shadow Weave?

I notice that the stats you wrote up for him do not include the Shadow Weave Magic feat or any other note about him using the Shadow Weave. On the other hand, the novels strongly imply Shadow Weave. So, which is it?

NiTessine,

The Weave, insofar as divine spells are powered by/draw from the Weave at all.

Edited by - PaulSKemp on 23 Aug 2007 15:47:02
Go to Top of Page

NiTessine
Acolyte

Finland
34 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2007 :  16:14:53  Show Profile  Visit NiTessine's Homepage Send NiTessine a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thank you for settling that. It was the interpretation I was in favour of.

Huh. I checked out our game store's website for an ETA on Shadowstorm and it says the trilogy is written by Richard Lee Byers. I must correct them when I go to my weekly defeat at the minis league.

http://nitessine.wordpress.com/
Worlds in a Handful of Dice
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2007 :  23:39:28  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
OMG!!!! I am missing out on 2 MUST HAVE FR Novels....and the reason I don't have them???? NEVER EVER saw them in ANY visit to ALL book stores here in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada....are these books banned here or something or is it just that HOT??????? I'm grabbing one of the first copies at the bookstore(s) of new FR novels as I go once a week but never saw the new Cale books.....HELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLP!!!! I will have to go look again :( i may have to purchase online......I cant believe this is happening...my collection is incomplete and not up to date *panicking*

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2007 :  11:08:39  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alisttair

OMG!!!! I am missing out on 2 MUST HAVE FR Novels....and the reason I don't have them???? NEVER EVER saw them in ANY visit to ALL book stores here in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada....are these books banned here or something or is it just that HOT??????? I'm grabbing one of the first copies at the bookstore(s) of new FR novels as I go once a week but never saw the new Cale books.....HELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLP!!!! I will have to go look again :( i may have to purchase online......I cant believe this is happening...my collection is incomplete and not up to date *panicking*

That's strange that they're not on shelves in your local bookstore. It seems the distribution channel gets a little iffy from time to time.

Anyway, I hope you can find them and that you enjoy them, Alisttair.
Go to Top of Page

Murray Leeder
Forgotten Realms Author

Canada
228 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2007 :  12:12:11  Show Profile  Visit Murray Leeder's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Try Fandom II on Laurier.

quote:

Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2007 :  12:39:59  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Murray Leeder

Try Fandom II on Laurier.

quote:

Darnit....I was there about a month ago (I try to keep my expeditions to downtown Ottawa to a minimum)...at the time I thought the whole trilogy was scrapped or forgotten...I knew I should have stayed on the boards here to know what's going on...

Go to Top of Page

Murray Leeder
Forgotten Realms Author

Canada
228 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2007 :  17:09:27  Show Profile  Visit Murray Leeder's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I bought my copy of Shadowstorm there just the other day.
Go to Top of Page

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2007 :  18:25:33  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote
CHAPTERS SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 10 Sep 2007 :  14:31:02  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Paul, I believe you have mentioned that Rivalen is a good speaker. Is he good enough to talk himself out of trouble should his father learn that Rivalen murdered his wife? One would imagine that Telamont would be rather...pissed of about that and the fact that Rivalen used this to drive him into the arms of Shar.

The Most High does not strike me as someone who takes kindly to being manipulated.

Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2007 :  11:48:56  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:

Paul, I believe you have mentioned that Rivalen is a good speaker. Is he good enough to talk himself out of trouble should his father learn that Rivalen murdered his wife?

I suspect not.
Go to Top of Page

khorne
Master of Realmslore

Finland
1073 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2007 :  06:24:34  Show Profile  Visit khorne's Homepage Send khorne a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PaulSKemp

quote:

Paul, I believe you have mentioned that Rivalen is a good speaker. Is he good enough to talk himself out of trouble should his father learn that Rivalen murdered his wife?

I suspect not.

Oooh. I smell family drama.

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2007 :  22:30:31  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello Mr. Kemp,

I wondered in a different thread about how Larajin hasn't been mentioned in either the Erevis Cale books or the Twilight War series so far (although I haven't yet finished book 2). I was just wondering if Erevis Cale had any thoughts about her at all? I figure it must be strange to learn that the maid he once ordered around turned out to be the child of his best friend--and not only that, Larajin seemed to have been excepted by the Uskevren family with open arms at the end of the Lord of Stormweather novel.

I was just wondering because I like Larajin, think she's a brave soul, and it seems likely that Cale might have acquired some kind of respect for her.

Take care,

RF

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2007 :  15:03:55  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Rinonalyrna Fathomlin

I was just wondering because I like Larajin, think she's a brave soul, and it seems likely that Cale might have acquired some kind of respect for her.

Take care,

RF

RF,

I agree with you. I think Cale would and has come to respect her, though I imagine the process would have been a bit bumpy at first.

As for why she hasn't appeared, the answer is pretty mundane. I've got only so many pages and words with which to work. What and who appears and how is just a matter of prioritizing within that limitation. For the time being, Larajin has gotten the silent treatment on-screen (as did Talbot, for that matter) because I thought other scenes and characters more important to the story and themes of the Twilight War. These are tough choices to make (especially since I like all the Uskevrens as characters), but you've got to make them or you get a meandering narrative with people jumping in and out of the storyline to no real purpose. For most readers, the cast is already pretty big.

Honestly, it's been a challenge as is covering all the bases I want to cover in The Twilight War without running way over word count. My editor has been pretty forgiving on that score, but only so many words can get on a mmpb page without requiring a reader to read with a magnifying glass.

Paul
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2007 :  20:21:18  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well met!

I've started on the second Ervis novel, and among many other questions, I am curious as to the origins of "dark" and "dark and empty." While they apparently come from I Ching, who first thought to use them as Realms oaths? Are they common outside Maskarran circles?

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

PaulSKemp
Forgotten Realms Author

808 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2007 :  20:43:32  Show Profile  Visit PaulSKemp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jamallo Kreen

Well met!

I've started on the second Ervis novel, and among many other questions, I am curious as to the origins of "dark" and "dark and empty." While they apparently come from I Ching, who first thought to use them as Realms oaths? Are they common outside Maskarran circles?

Jamallo,

Those oaths originate with Ed and were established as common Sembian oaths in the Sembia series bible, which was distributed to the authors of the Sembia series. Ed explained their origin in one of his scrolls, perhaps in 2005 (I think). If memory serves, they arose as they did in Sembia primarily as a descriptive oath describing a treasure chest devoid of coins (a terrible thing for a Sembian ). Such a chest is both dark and empty. Curses!

Over time, that descriptive use of the oath gave way to a more generally applicable curse.

Paul

Edited by - PaulSKemp on 15 Sep 2007 01:07:15
Go to Top of Page

Jamallo Kreen
Master of Realmslore

USA
1537 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2007 :  20:55:33  Show Profile  Visit Jamallo Kreen's Homepage Send Jamallo Kreen a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ha ha! How amusing. One wonders how many Sembian hoards have been rendered "dark and empty" by the followers of Mask?!

I have a mouth, but I am in a library and must not scream.

Feed the poor and stroke your ego, too: http://www.freerice.com/index.php.

Go to Top of Page

Rinonalyrna Fathomlin
Great Reader

USA
7106 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2007 :  01:31:08  Show Profile  Visit Rinonalyrna Fathomlin's Homepage Send Rinonalyrna Fathomlin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PaulSKemp
I agree with you. I think Cale would and has come to respect her, though I imagine the process would have been a bit bumpy at first.

As for why she hasn't appeared, the answer is pretty mundane. I've got only so many pages and words with which to work. What and who appears and how is just a matter of prioritizing within that limitation. For the time being, Larajin has gotten the silent treatment on-screen (as did Talbot, for that matter) because I thought other scenes and characters more important to the story and themes of the Twilight War. These are tough choices to make (especially since I like all the Uskevrens as characters), but you've got to make them or you get a meandering narrative with people jumping in and out of the storyline to no real purpose. For most readers, the cast is already pretty big.

Honestly, it's been a challenge as is covering all the bases I want to cover in The Twilight War without running way over word count. My editor has been pretty forgiving on that score, but only so many words can get on a mmpb page without requiring a reader to read with a magnifying glass.

Paul

Understandable. Thanks for the explanation. For the record, none of the characters (or plot elements for that matter) I've come across so far in the Twilight War series feel extraneous.

"Instead of asking why we sleep, it might make sense to ask why we wake. Perchance we live to dream. From that perspective, the sea of troubles we navigate in the workaday world might be the price we pay for admission to another night in the world of dreams."
--Richard Greene (letter to Time)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 28 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000