Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Realms Events
 Shadow Weave
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Shadovar
Senior Scribe

785 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2005 :  13:11:16  Show Profile  Visit Shadovar's Homepage Send Shadovar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well from what I know of the Shadow Weave, it is originally part of the Weave, the Weave as a source of raw magic that can be manipulated into any magic. If i remember correctly, during the last days of the Netheril Empire, Karse-a sorcerer or archwizard to most or simply innototh in the Netheril language attempted to steal the mantle of divinity-the Weave from the Goddess of Magic Mystryl(now we knwo as Mystra), he wanted the power of the Weave but he succeded in doing so but he could not accept that the Weave of life had to be constantly reworked and mystic power that is the source of magic on Faerun. The Weave started to unravel.
To save the Weave, Mystryl sacrificed herself and so magic disappeared from faerun for a day until the next day Mystryl was reincarnated as Mystra. So during this period of Time when Mystryl is undergoing reincarnation, Shar may stolen part of the Weave and modified it to be the Shadow Weave that will neutralize the Weave should the two Weaves come into contact. Hence, there are two Weaves in existence.
For Shades like my character in the candlekeep inn-Vorian Volaeron, yes Shades are highly affected by Light bursts. It does cripples and wounds them, it is difficult to explain why this is so.
Well I can draw an hypothesis here:
Light And Darkness presence will lead to the presence of Shadow. Shadow is something that is enigmatic, and full of vigor and can move while darkness is well lacking in Vigor and not enigmatic. Shadow can move and dance around but only Light stop it from moving and keeps it in place.
So for shades, they had traded their souls for the shadow essence to be fused into them, making them sort off powerful shadowmages or shadow sorcerers. They are actually moving living shadows, not mortals nor anything made of flesh but a living shadow that interacts with the living. Because they are living shadows, lightbursts tend to incapicitate them or wound them seriously. well try to understand the hypothesis to seek an answer.

We have fostered trust, recruited loyalty, and gathered the faithful. We have trained thousands. Our legions can cover the land, fill the sky and travel through the darkness. We can hunt any and all that would deny our heritage. Now is our time, now is the time of the Dark Reign(Rain) of the Empire of Shadows.
- High Prince Telemont Tanthul, Lord Shadow
In a speech given to the citizens of Shade Enclave
At the celebration of the Shinantra Battle victory when he revealed that he was THE Lord Shadow of legend.
Go to Top of Page

Shadovar
Senior Scribe

785 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2005 :  13:18:42  Show Profile  Visit Shadovar's Homepage Send Shadovar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A human wizard or any race that had live on the surface and adept in shadow magic can still cast shadowspells, as there are shadows when there is light so there are sources of power to draw from and hide for them. But one thing is sure, they cannot wield the power of shadow so adeptly as shades can do.
But one thing sure, all shadowmages and shades are more powerful in shadow magic when they are in the alternate dimension of the current dimension we are in. They call it the shadow world, here everything is in shadow but shadowmages and shades can enter the shadow world even under sunlight for sunlight in the shadow world is seriously diminished but unless the whole sun is brought close to them, the light is nothing in the shadow world.

We have fostered trust, recruited loyalty, and gathered the faithful. We have trained thousands. Our legions can cover the land, fill the sky and travel through the darkness. We can hunt any and all that would deny our heritage. Now is our time, now is the time of the Dark Reign(Rain) of the Empire of Shadows.
At the celebration of the Shinantra Battle victory when he revealed that he was THE Lord Shadow of legend.
Go to Top of Page

Shadovar
Senior Scribe

785 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2005 :  13:24:47  Show Profile  Visit Shadovar's Homepage Send Shadovar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
anyway, silverfire and shadow magic on contact with each other will neutralize each other, and may seriously weaken the dimensional fabric or tear a hole in the dimensional fabric if this happens. Imagine two drills drilling a piece of wood at the same time, same alignment. Magic itself may weaken the dimensional fabric but teh dimensional fabric can recover from and stand such assaults if it is from say one side, but if two magic spells are cast on both sides of the fabric, it wil definitely tear a hole.
Silverfire is essentially raw weave magic in its own right. Shadow magic spells also uses raw shadow magic, contact of both will mutually annihilate both as it is like a positive neutralizing a negative.

Go to Top of Page

Shadovar
Senior Scribe

785 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2005 :  13:28:26  Show Profile  Visit Shadovar's Homepage Send Shadovar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
by the way, shadowmages are all trained in the plane of shadow where they are safe from spies and interlopers so they cannot be detected. Have anyone noted about the phaerimm?They despite their reputation to be resistant to weave magic are seriously vulnerable to shadow magic as they had not developed resistance to it.

Go to Top of Page

Mareka
Learned Scribe

Canada
125 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2005 :  22:19:52  Show Profile  Visit Mareka's Homepage Send Mareka a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Shadovar

To save the Weave, Mystryl sacrificed herself and so magic disappeared from faerun for a day until the next day Mystryl was reincarnated as Mystra. So during this period of Time when Mystryl is undergoing reincarnation, Shar may stolen part of the Weave and modified it to be the Shadow Weave that will neutralize the Weave should the two Weaves come into contact. Hence, there are two Weaves in existence.

The weave was actually out of existance for only a few seconds. Mystra reincarnated and repaired it in time to save a couple of the floating cities that started falling when magic ceased to exist.
Go to Top of Page

Shadovar
Senior Scribe

785 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2005 :  01:48:47  Show Profile  Visit Shadovar's Homepage Send Shadovar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I didnt think so as all of Netheril cities collapsed to the ground in that time period when all magic was cut off from Faerun, but oine city did survive and that is Shade Enclave which teleported into the plane of shadow the day before magic was cut off from all. They returned a few weeks later to find death and ruin everywhere which they blame on the phaerimm, they again relocated to the plane of shadow to stay there for 700 years in exile. You may like to check with the History of Netheril.

Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Bane
Senior Scribe

USA
552 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2005 :  02:08:29  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Bane's Homepage Send Chosen of Bane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Sorry Shadovar but there were other Netherese cities that survived the colapse. I know one is a group of Selune worshippers (go figure) but I don't know the full details about them. Give it about 5 minutes and I'm sure Kuje31 will reply with all of the details

Edited by - Chosen of Bane on 05 Apr 2005 02:09:50
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2005 :  02:56:23  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chosen of Bane

Sorry Shadovar but there were other Netherese cities that survived the colapse. I know one is a group of Selune worshippers (go figure) but I don't know the full details about them. Give it about 5 minutes and I'm sure Kuje31 will reply with all of the details

:) Besides the three we know of that are mentioned in Lost Empires and elsewhere? I'm sure there are others. Come on, there has to be since there was at least 100 floating cities!

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Bane
Senior Scribe

USA
552 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2005 :  03:35:51  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Bane's Homepage Send Chosen of Bane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kuje31

quote:

:) Besides the three we know of that are mentioned in Lost Empires and elsewhere? I'm sure there are others. Come on, there has to be since there was at least 100 floating cities!

No good Kuje, you're slipping. I said 5 minutes, not 48 minutes . Gosh, Master's of the Realmslore these days....

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2005 :  03:51:16  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

I didnt think so as all of Netheril cities collapsed to the ground in that time period when all magic was cut off from Faerun, but oine city did survive and that is Shade Enclave which teleported into the plane of shadow the day before magic was cut off from all. They returned a few weeks later to find death and ruin everywhere which they blame on the phaerimm, they again relocated to the plane of shadow to stay there for 700 years in exile. You may like to check with the History of Netheril.

Shade and Selūnarra snuck out. The reborn Mystra caught three of the falling cities. That's five cities we know of that survived the Fall.

I'm rather fond of the idea that another one of the cities was over one of the unknown continents, and the survivors built a new civilization there. 'Tis an idea I came up with, and is utterly non-canon.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2005 :  04:20:29  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
No good Kuje, you're slipping. I said 5 minutes, not 48 minutes . Gosh, Master's of the Realmslore these days....

Sorry!. Cringes. But hey! I was working on my NPC file. :) I'm almost done with the Faerun sourcebooks! Then it's time to dive into the other continents or Dragon/Dungeon/Polyhedron.

For some of us, books are as important as almost anything else on earth. What a miracle it is that out of these small, flat, rigid squares of paper unfolds world after world, worlds that sing to you, comfort and quiet and excite you... Books are full of the things that you don't get in real life - wonderful, lyrical language, for instance, right off the bat. - Anne Lamott, Bird by Bird

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2005 :  04:39:39  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Then it's time to dive into the other continents or Dragon/Dungeon/Polyhedron.

How many issues are you going to have to go through?
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2005 :  04:51:36  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SiriusBlack

quote:
Then it's time to dive into the other continents or Dragon/Dungeon/Polyhedron.

How many issues are you going to have to go through?

For Dragon? All of them since I have the Archieves and over 70+ issues that I had before they came out with the CD's. But I'm not adding the 3/3.5 NPC's. As for Dungeon and Polyhedron maybe about 40 total.

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2005 :  05:52:16  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
But I'm not adding the 3/3.5 NPC's.

Just dislike the NPCS or more the edition? If I recall right the NPCs for the RoTaW series are in one of the aforementioned Dragons.
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2005 :  05:57:38  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Just dislike the NPCS or more the edition? If I recall right the NPCs for the RoTaW series are in one of the aforementioned Dragons.

Both. :) They have to many classes stacked on them for my liking and so I don't want to try to figure out half of those classes. Especially prestige classes.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2005 :  06:15:41  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Both. :) They have to many classes stacked on them for my liking and so I don't want to try to figure out half of those classes. Especially prestige classes.

Aw, c'mon, it can't be that bad... (says Wooly, a GSH20,MisMak7,FlWiOnoEdOrFePl8,Al-ArNG10)

Go to Top of Page

SiriusBlack
Great Reader

USA
5517 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2005 :  06:45:49  Show Profile  Visit SiriusBlack's Homepage Send SiriusBlack a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
I don't want to try to figure out half of those classes. Especially prestige classes.

Why? Haven't you taken courses in cryptography?
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2005 :  07:02:01  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly RupertAw, c'mon, it can't be that bad... (says Wooly, a GSH20,MisMak7,FlWiOnoEdOrFePl8,Al-ArNG10)

Boggles! :) And then his eyes bleed from trying to figure that out.

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2005 :  07:03:49  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
I don't want to try to figure out half of those classes. Especially prestige classes.

Why? Haven't you taken courses in cryptography?

No I haven't. :) But we took this off topic long enough.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2005 :  11:27:54  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly RupertAw, c'mon, it can't be that bad... (says Wooly, a GSH20,MisMak7,FlWiOnoEdOrFePl8,Al-ArNG10)

Boggles! :) And then his eyes bleed from trying to figure that out.

*grins* Giant Space Hamster 20, Mischief Maker 7, Flirt With One of Ed's Original Female Players 8, All-Around Nice Guy 20.

Go to Top of Page

Mareka
Learned Scribe

Canada
125 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2005 :  21:54:03  Show Profile  Visit Mareka's Homepage Send Mareka a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Shade and Selūnarra snuck out. The reborn Mystra caught three of the falling cities. That's five cities we know of that survived the Fall.

I'm rather fond of the idea that another one of the cities was over one of the unknown continents, and the survivors built a new civilization there. 'Tis an idea I came up with, and is utterly non-canon.

Very cool idea, Wooly. Have you detailed this civilization?
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 05 Apr 2005 :  23:03:34  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mareka

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Very cool idea, Wooly. Have you detailed this civilization?

Nope, not at all. It's a random thought that went wandering thru my head one day. At the moment, it's just in the "nifty ideas" file. I do not at this time have any specific plans to develop it.

I've mentioned this idea before, and I know that other people have liked it and said they were going to run with it. Feel free to do the same.

Go to Top of Page

Shadovar
Senior Scribe

785 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2005 :  11:52:46  Show Profile  Visit Shadovar's Homepage Send Shadovar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Greetings, everyone. Well here is some food for thought, I wonder what happens if the Shadow Weave were to be united with the Weave, a catastrophe to all Realms? Annihilation of Mystra and Shar?(as I think they are interwined with their own Weave.) or loss of magic to all Realms or rather cause a change in balance of powers and affect life in all the Realms?

Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2005 :  14:44:46  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Greetings, everyone. Well here is some food for thought, I wonder what happens if the Shadow Weave were to be united with the Weave, a catastrophe to all Realms? Annihilation of Mystra and Shar?(as I think they are interwined with their own Weave.) or loss of magic to all Realms or rather cause a change in balance of powers and affect life in all the Realms?

Evereska's Mythal is a combination of the two Weaves now and it didn't cause any problems. :)

Go to Top of Page

Shadovar
Senior Scribe

785 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2005 :  13:03:00  Show Profile  Visit Shadovar's Homepage Send Shadovar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Greetings to everyone, well I would like to raise a few questions that I had been pondering about for sometime.:

1) The shadow weave nature is opposite to that of the Weave nature, I mean like positive and negative. So now the mythal of Evereska is a combination of both weaves powers, how is it that the mythal is not weakened or destroyed? As the shadow weave and the weave are opposite of each other.

2) How did the elven mythal of Evereska came to possess the shadow weave too, is it because of the aftereffects of the shadowshell?

3) Is the current elven mythal of Evereska comparatively superior to that of the Myth Drannor Mythal?(I mean the mythal of the city of song when the city is at the peak of its glory)

4) How will the mythal that is now combined with the power of the shadow weave affect the citizens and denizens and the land in the city and near the city?

Well, my thanks to any forum member for answering the four questions I raised.

Edited by - Shadovar on 05 May 2005 13:04:10
Go to Top of Page

Kuje
Great Reader

USA
7915 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2005 :  17:09:25  Show Profile Send Kuje a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Greetings to everyone, well I would like to raise a few questions that I had been pondering about for sometime.:

1) The shadow weave nature is opposite to that of the Weave nature, I mean like positive and negative. So now the mythal of Evereska is a combination of both weaves powers, how is it that the mythal is not weakened or destroyed? As the shadow weave and the weave are opposite of each other.

2) How did the elven mythal of Evereska came to possess the shadow weave too, is it because of the aftereffects of the shadowshell?

3) Is the current elven mythal of Evereska comparatively superior to that of the Myth Drannor Mythal?(I mean the mythal of the city of song when the city is at the peak of its glory)

4) How will the mythal that is now combined with the power of the shadow weave affect the citizens and denizens and the land in the city and near the city?

Well, my thanks to any forum member for answering the four questions I raised.

1) Good question. It just isn't. :)

2) The main elven npc in the Return of the Archwizards novels helped repair the Mythal when the center caster died and since that main NPC was a shadow weave user, his magic blended the Mythal.

3) I think that Myth Drannor's is a wizardy mythal while Evereska's is a true mythal and thus Evereska's is stronger.

4) No idea. :)

Go to Top of Page

Carion Hunter
Acolyte

23 Posts

Posted - 07 May 2005 :  05:54:03  Show Profile  Visit Carion Hunter's Homepage Send Carion Hunter a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Greetings, a few questions here.

1) Can the current mythal accomodate the use of shadow magic and presence of shades?

2) How many phaerimm can the mythal accomodate if the phaerimm enters the new Evereskan Mythal?

Wanna throw me out? You gotta think thrice about that.
Go to Top of Page

Shadovar
Senior Scribe

785 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2005 :  02:41:26  Show Profile  Visit Shadovar's Homepage Send Shadovar a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Wel for the first question posted by Carion Hunter:

1) The mythal should be able to permit the use of shadow magic and presence of shades but whether this is true, I am not sure unless there is a trial run with a volunteer shade willing to do that.

2) The Myth Drannor mythal in its weakened state still could accomodate about 40 or so phaerimm. But a fully functional mythal should be able to support about at least more than 40. Though whether the presence of phaerimm inside a fully functional mythal will have any negative effects on the mythal...but goven the phaerimm feed on magic, I think any negative effects on the mythal would have to be proven by time itself.

Go to Top of Page

Adarin
Acolyte

30 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2005 :  14:44:17  Show Profile  Visit Adarin's Homepage Send Adarin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hello to all. I had been wondering about this for a long time, how did the shadow weave truly originated, can anyone enlighten me?

There will always be parting of ways which is never of your preference.
Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2005 :  16:48:01  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Adarin

Hello to all. I had been wondering about this for a long time, how did the shadow weave truly originated, can anyone enlighten me?

Can not find a direct quote, however the Weave and Shadow Weave appear to have been created at the same time. This believed to be a resule of a battle between Selune and Shar that resulted in the creation of Mystryl.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000