Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2014)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 29

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2014 :  20:11:42  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message
I was just checking. You need never apologize.
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2014 :  20:50:39  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message
On to a different topic: beast cults! I'm trying to assemble some kind of cohesive index of lore on the powers, so I'm beginning with "Down-to-earth divinity." Which is still a great article, and I wish more designers explained their decisions and offered tips like this. Thank you.

1. Does Lolth have any competition in her role as the power behind spider cults in human/demihuman lands? Are there other spider powers, or exceptional mortal/quasidivine spiders in Faerun? And if so, it goes without saying that she plans to eat them, right?

2. Where do cults of Hlyyaak have influence? Actually that has an obvious answer so: where are large numbers of camels found in the Realms? I'm coming up blank beyond maybe Calimshan and Semphar (oops, and Anauroch).

3. Is there an elephant beast cult? (Seems as likely as a camel cult, right?)

4. There's a horse cult that's been talked about somewhere too, isn't there? My memory is foggy.

5. A question about Mask, because he's beastly. I ran my mouth in Erik's thread a while back about which gods we think should be front-and-center in 5e... I went on about how Mask should be CN rather than NE, in order to better serve as a patron of rogues rather than being evil and hence inappropriate in some minds for beginning players. I see in the Dragon #54 article that Mask has been NE from the beginning. If, according to a probably-American phrase, "we're all snowflakes," what does "NE" mean for Mask in particular? Finally the question: how do you run Mask?

Thank you!

(edit: How'd I forget about Anauroch? I love that place!)

Edited by - xaeyruudh on 13 Jan 2014 20:53:26
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2014 :  14:11:53  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message
Hi THO and Ed,

Love the new Forging the Realms article "The House of the Falling Axe"! Love dwarf lore when we receive it! hehe

The question I had regarded Dorn Forgebar. Is he an outcast from the Forgebar clan mentioned in long ago Dragon #252? Anything you could share regarding his background? Are the 3 dozen dwarves he represents of that clan too?

Thank you both!
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2014 :  15:02:22  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by xaeyruudh

On to a different topic: beast cults! I'm trying to assemble some kind of cohesive index of lore on the powers, so I'm beginning with "Down-to-earth divinity." Which is still a great article, and I wish more designers explained their decisions and offered tips like this. Thank you.

1. Does Lolth have any competition in her role as the power behind spider cults in human/demihuman lands? Are there other spider powers, or exceptional mortal/quasidivine spiders in Faerun? And if so, it goes without saying that she plans to eat them, right?

2. Where do cults of Hlyyaak have influence? Actually that has an obvious answer so: where are large numbers of camels found in the Realms? I'm coming up blank beyond maybe Calimshan and Semphar (oops, and Anauroch).

3. Is there an elephant beast cult? (Seems as likely as a camel cult, right?)

4. There's a horse cult that's been talked about somewhere too, isn't there? My memory is foggy.

5. A question about Mask, because he's beastly. I ran my mouth in Erik's thread a while back about which gods we think should be front-and-center in 5e... I went on about how Mask should be CN rather than NE, in order to better serve as a patron of rogues rather than being evil and hence inappropriate in some minds for beginning players. I see in the Dragon #54 article that Mask has been NE from the beginning. If, according to a probably-American phrase, "we're all snowflakes," what does "NE" mean for Mask in particular? Finally the question: how do you run Mask?

Thank you!

(edit: How'd I forget about Anauroch? I love that place!)

There's an elephant cult down in Zakhara (on Afyal, the isle of the elephant). More info in the ruined kingdoms supplement for Al-Qadim.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2014 :  18:11:28  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by sleyvas

There's an elephant cult down in Zakhara

Yah, I remember them, though it's been a while since I've read that material... they didn't strike me as a beast cult, but maybe I was mistaken.

That does bring up another question, though it's probably been asked before. In fact it's even possible that I've asked it before. Do Zakhara, Kara-Tur, or Maztica figure into the home game?

And as a tangent to that, have you developed the unpublished continents for your own players?
Go to Top of Page

TBeholder
Great Reader

2378 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2014 :  22:07:51  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message
quote:

I'm not Ed, but Aranea of the Spider Swamp were said to worship Zanassu, before he was killed and subsumed by Selvetarm and after (they are unaware of the changes and given the circumstances, may or may not care much even if they knew). Not as a "state religion", but they got a traditional organization of warrior-priest defenders.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2014 :  04:49:14  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
I've been reading Murder In Baldur's Gate, and there is a paragraph detailing "modest, makeshift shrines" that I thought was quite well-done. These weren't formal structures, like pavilions, they were basically holy symbols in very appropriate spots, like Shar's emblem on the wall of an alley that never sees sunlight, or a tree that serves as a shrine to Silvanus.

This has made me curious about other small, informal shrines, especially in public places. Most particularly, I am curious about shrines in businesses like shops, taverns, inns, festhalls, and the like.

I'm not looking for info on shrines to any specific deity, more of general information... Such as, if an inn has a shrine, how big and prominent would it be? How common are shrines that are accessible to patrons of an establishment? And would it be common to find one establishment with multiple shrines, or a single, shared shrine to multiple deities, or are single shrines to single deities the most common?

I'd be happy to see information on other informal shrines outside of businesses, too, but right now, I'm most curious about those within businesses.

As always, I appreciate the time and the lore!

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2014 :  15:03:03  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by TBeholder

quote:

I'm not Ed, but Aranea of the Spider Swamp were said to worship Zanassu, before he was killed and subsumed by Selvetarm and after (they are unaware of the changes and given the circumstances, may or may not care much even if they knew). Not as a "state religion", but they got a traditional organization of warrior-priest defenders.

Don't quote me just yet [until I've searched the archives], but I think Ed [or Eric Boyd] has tackled this kind of question before.

I'll need to check the archive backlog.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2014 :  16:07:16  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Leucrotta have their own pantheon of 'beast gods', although thats probably not what you were looking for. They're discussed in the Elminster's Ecologies booklet covering Thar.

However, I doubt any humans worship Leucrotta 'gods', or even know of them.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2014 :  17:10:28  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message
All is well I hope, on the northern frontier. We've had some dampness in what we call the Northwest, but sadly I've seen only one or two snowy mornings so far this winter. So down here, the north is not living up to its reputation.

I have a theory that either (1) Elminster has kidnapped Ed and is lecturing him on what Must Be Done about this and especially That, or (2) Ed is hiding in the attic again during a long-missed meeting of the Wizards Three. (I'm not getting antsy; I know the book and article plans are probably falling on him like, well, probably like bowling ball sized hailstones... but it's fun to conjecture.)

Speaking of the keepers of knowledge, what do Heralds do when their communities are either destroyed or ...uh remodeled... sufficiently that the Herald must leave or die? I think this has two parts; what does an individual Herald do, and what happens to the office if the community in question remains inhospitable when a Herald must be replaced? Examples: Murann in 3e, Wheloon (I think?) and a whole bunch of other places in 4e. Not only would the Herald be unable to reside there, but the duties of heraldry would be difficult/impossible to perform. And Halruaa... Halruaa had Heralds, right?

Also, are local Heralds assigned to particular communities, or are they ever/often allowed to choose which communities they'll serve?

Good luck with those Wizards!
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2014 :  15:26:17  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
On a couple of maps, I have noted an (oft-omitted) path that goes from The North Road (running from Maskyr's Eye to Mulmaster) to The Lis Path (actually a trail, running from Hammerdale along The Lis to Elmwood). Its even named - its called 'Maskyr's Trail' (and I know the story - at least part of it - of Maskyr). You can see this most vividly on the 2e Moonsea map.

Heres' my question - you can't ford the Lis, and there is no bridge anywhere along it (considering how wide it is in spots, and how its always changing, that would be nigh-impossible). It can't be swum; not that the current is so terrible, just the things in it are. Thus, I have come to the conclusion that there MUST be a ferry depot there, at that point. Since I would consider that a very important crossing (the ONLY crossing of an over-land trail), I would have to assume there'd at least be a few 'support structures' around such a ferry depot as well. I would also assume elves/half-elves are involved (but I am sure you'll correct me if I'm wrong).

So here's my question - is there such a place, and what would it be called?

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 16 Jan 2014 15:27:44
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2014 :  16:27:43  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Markustay, the place you refer to is "Lisen" (called by some "Lisenar"). No settlement, but a mutable arrangement of a few tents, on the east side of the Lisen only, where rafts are built, repaired, and loaded, replacement poles are cut, and rafts are poled through the quicksands/across the evershifting river channel, either down the Lis or more often across it but tugged a little downstream during the crossing. Unloaded rafts are usually winched (pulled on ropes, using large treetrunks as pulleys) back upriver, and secured there until needed for a return crossing, often by someone else entirely.
The horrid clouds of stinging insects, reek of the mud, and lack of ready food keeps Lisen deserted when not in use for crossings, rather than being settled by any permanent residents. Who tend to get hunted by monsters preying on anyone who lingers in the area anyway.
This all comes from Ed's notes, BTW.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

gamersgambit
Acolyte

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2014 :  18:14:47  Show Profile  Visit gamersgambit's Homepage Send gamersgambit a Private Message
Hello to one and all!

Question: We're a group of elves exploring the Forest of Amtar north of Dambrath. We come upon hints of a ruin of a mostly-buried ancient underground Elven city. Which one might it be, and what might we find there?

http://www.gamersgambit.com
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2014 :  19:44:35  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
Thank you for the speedy response. I was hoping for more there (canonically), but I guess every crossroads can't be interesting.

Has anyone ever even attempted a bridge over the Lis, even in the distant past?

Go to Top of Page

paladinnicolas
Seeker

92 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2014 :  20:46:18  Show Profile Send paladinnicolas a Private Message
Dear THO, I would like to ask Ed if there have been any religious wars in the Realms in which followers of the same god fought over contradicting claims and beliefs, and if competing nations sided with each opposing party. Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2014 :  02:28:59  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Hello All,

Ed in your realms, do Wish or Miracle spells ripple the weave when cast that may alert those sensitive to such theurgy? Would creation of a Ring of Wishes do the same unless created in sealed or warded location?

I was curious how you would describe the creation of a Ring of Wishes personally.

Thanks
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2014 :  17:05:45  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message
Hi Ed and THO,

We were talking about the Zhentarim trade route through the Stonelands in this scroll: http://forum.candlekeep.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=18798

The map in the Ruins of Zhentil Keep box set shows their caravan path going right through what appears to be the middle of the Stonelands and aside from the very narrow cavern mentioned in the above post, I was wondering how this is possible. Did they blast a path through for wagons? Can you tell us of any stops or features along the Stonelands path they take?

Thank you! :)
Go to Top of Page

Marco Volo
Learned Scribe

France
201 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2014 :  09:01:21  Show Profile Send Marco Volo a Private Message
Hi Ed and THO,
I was wandering if Ed can say anything about Milil's temple in Waterdeep called "the Temple of Good Cheer" ?
One of my PC is a bard giving lectures in New Olamn and would like to approach this temple, on which Ed still have so much to say, I'd bet.

Edited by - Marco Volo on 20 Jan 2014 09:02:07
Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1265 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2014 :  14:26:01  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message
Hi - possibly stupid question and if THO and Ed are too busy perhaps a scribe can answer or direct me to a thread containing answers.

Would humans worship non-human dieties (I imagine that some would) and would that diety grant them spells? For instance, a human priest of Labelas Enoreth? Is it more common for say an elf or dwarf to worship one of the non-elven or non-dwarven gods than humans to worship non-human gods? Would an elf ever worship a dwarven or halfling god or vice-versa? (I'm looking at introducing a dwarven cleric of Ilmater who is a pacifist in my campaign).
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2014 :  15:55:41  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, all.
Seravin, all sentient mortals believe in all of the gods, and actively worship any and all gods that may help or guide them in a given situation (i.e. farmers worship Chauntea, but also Talos to keep his storms away, Auril to not send frosts before crops are gathered in, etc.). Many humans "cleave to" a few gods, or even just one god, according to their personal situation or inclination. However, in your question you seem to be using "worship" in the narrower sense of "become a priest of." The answer to that is: yes. Some deities are racially-centric (Lolth, for example), but that doesn't mean they won't accept the dedicated service of individuals of other races, AND grant them spells.
So all of the possibilities you ask about are possible. They'll just be relatively rare. And as for "more common," that's hard to say, because no one stands back to take any overall surveys of such things, but humans TEND to be more versatile/try anything than any of the other races except halflings, so it's probably more common for humans to venerate a non-human deity.
(I've drawn the roots of this reply from notes I've made while playing with Ed as a DM.)
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1265 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2014 :  03:15:51  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message
Thanks so much Lady Herald! I thought that was the answer but I was unable to think of an elven or dwarven priest of one of the main human deities (and certainly not a human priest of an elven or dwarven deities). You and Ed stay warm this week, the cold is back here in Toronto!
Go to Top of Page

unseenmage
Seeker

61 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2014 :  06:41:45  Show Profile Send unseenmage a Private Message
Greetings all, I have need to know where between Waterdeep and Rashemi a merchant minded player character could/would be able to find information about Fey Crossroads without meddling Wizards or Druids stealing his discoveries.

The character is a son of a Masked Lord of Waterdeep and is finding his fortune in the world. He's discovered a Crossroads related magic item and needs information about ow to work it, thus the library idea.

PS. How would one find the answers to the questions that weren't gotten to last year?

Flying monkeys will eat your eyes.
Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2014 :  07:07:33  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message
The area between Waterdeep and Rashemen could hardly be bigger...You might want to narrow it down some.

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2014 :  12:04:32  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by unseenmage

PS. How would one find the answers to the questions that weren't gotten to last year?

One could wait. Some of us have questions in Ed's queue that go back years.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2014 :  14:58:28  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

Or simply search through the existing archives for any forgotten replies. [See the link in my signature.]

Go to Top of Page

unseenmage
Seeker

61 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2014 :  20:33:00  Show Profile Send unseenmage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by hashimashadoo

The area between Waterdeep and Rashemen could hardly be bigger...You might want to narrow it down some.

I was not sure if there would be many libraries at all.
For narrowing, perhaps just what libraries are closest to each. Especially since the player will likely teleport the majority of the distance of the overland travel.

---------------

quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

Or simply search through the existing archives for any forgotten replies. [See the link in my signature.]

Thank you, I simply did not know how to go about it.

Flying monkeys will eat your eyes.
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 21 Jan 2014 :  20:41:50  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message
Go to Google.com type in site:candlekeep.com [insert search word here, such as drow, Tethyamar, etc]. It's how I search my topics on the site. So it'd look like this when typed out:

site:candlekeep.com Stonelands

If I'm looking for something from Ed specifically, it'd look like this:

site:candlekeep.com Stonelands Ed Greenwood

Hope it helps!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2014 :  02:05:21  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
I found this query for Ed floating in the ether from newly-granted scribe, Robert:-
quote:
Ed mentioned in an old Dragon magazine about how he would love to one day write a book about heraldry & contracts & such for the Realms.
Well, Power of Faerun came out and I was 99 % pleased.
Now, for the 1% question...
Ed, what would Patents of Nobility actually look like for the Realms (say, either Waterdeep or Cormyr)? What would they consist of?

Thank you in advance (& I know how busy you are),
Robert

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2014 :  20:01:44  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all!
Robert, for the wording of a Patent of Nobility, we'll have to wait for Ed, but I can say this much, from playing in the Realms with Ed as DM: they are single sheets of polished electrum alloy (other metals have been used, but these days it's a non-rusting alloy, and that's usually electrum, so thin silvery-hued, treated so it has a blue sheen), stamped with individual letters to spell out a grant, which confirms "X and all the heirs of his/her body" (or whatever the specific wording/conditions of the title are), the specific titles, in the name of the granting monarch or Open Lord, who appends their [stamped] seal or personal badge, and then a herald stamps THEIR personal badge [only if this is all worked out ahead of time will the patent also have the blazon, if any, approved by the Heralds]. Written personal copies are also given to all persons receiving titles by the patent, and a copy of the patent is filed by courtiers serving the grantor, and quite separately by the herald, with the High Heralds.
Everything else must come from Ed...
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Hawkfeather
Seeker

Brazil
64 Posts

Posted - 22 Jan 2014 :  21:46:41  Show Profile Send Hawkfeather a Private Message
Hello, Ed and THO!

In several cities and nations across the Realms, imprisonment is a common sentence to lawbreakers. I was wondering if the condemnation varies upon the longevity of the convict's race. The issue is: a 30 year sentence is a very long time for a human, but for a elf or dwarf it means little due both races's long lifespan. There are any country/city/realm that the criminal lifespan have an impact on his sentence? How does the clergy of Tyr handle this issue?

Thanks!

Edited by - Hawkfeather on 22 Jan 2014 23:44:27
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 29 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000