Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2014)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 29

Kentinal
Great Reader

4684 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2014 :  00:10:27  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

After all, we wouldn't want just ANY novice wizard monkeying with the very fabric of reality on Toril, would we?
( Would we?)
love,
THO

But that is what adds interest to the Realms.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

paladinnicolas
Seeker

92 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2014 :  06:03:42  Show Profile Send paladinnicolas a Private Message
Thanks a lot THO!
Go to Top of Page

Regcod
Acolyte

Italy
28 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2014 :  10:01:13  Show Profile Send Regcod a Private Message
The time for the complete update is almost close, another week and there will be the last book but, I know that Ed doesn't want to speak about product wrote by other, but as an Eilistraen follower I 'must' ask if The Herald will shed some light about the Dark Maiden and her follower... and be careful I'm an old priestess and when I wrote old I mean that I'm old almost like you and if you bring me to convert to Lolth I'll pursue you!!! ( :P )

"Sweet water and light laughter until next we meet."
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 27 May 2014 :  12:59:18  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message
quote:

Hi again, all.
slevyas: Yes.
(In theory, the weave anchors ARE hammering in the ley lines of Faerun.) Though Ed tells me it's slightly more complicated than that, for very good future-plot-related reasons that he obviously can't share yet.
After all, we wouldn't want just ANY novice wizard monkeying with the very fabric of reality on Toril, would we?
( Would we?)
love,
THO

So, in theory, if one could rearrange the weave anchors.... they could possibly create a land similar to Rashemen or the High Forest

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

NineCoronas
Acolyte

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 29 May 2014 :  22:32:59  Show Profile Send NineCoronas a Private Message
Hi!

I'm roleplaying a Paladin of Mystra (I asked a long time ago if Paladin's had to be in an order or could be directed to run 'solo' by their god(esses)), and had some questions about what Paladin's do and do not do.

1) My understanding is that Paladin's are not to associate with evil characters whatsoever. What of attempts at redemption? Is Mercy not a trait befitting one?

2) Mystra is a CG goddess; does this mean that Paladin's of her order would be more... 'lenient'? Like Paladin's of Sune, perhaps?

3) The server I play on, there is a town, full of innocent NPC's and overrun and ruled by a majority of evil PC's. This is a prime example of a conflict in my mind; Does the Lawful part of Lawful Good mean she would follow their rules and laws if they are unjust or are obviously going to oppress an innocent or result in evil further down the road? Would it be unlawful to strike down a truly evil character within the confines of this town, even if they are a member of a sponsored organization?

Or does the lawful mean they follow the laws/dictates/dogma of their god/goddess, or their own personal code of honor?

4) What if you discovered an official in a mostly 'good' city is corrupt; illegal though it would be to do something about it, would a Paladin fall if they attempted to try to stamp out said corruption?

Thank you in advance for answering my questions!

-NineCoronas
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2014 :  00:18:23  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by NineCoronas

Hi!

I'm roleplaying a Paladin of Mystra (I asked a long time ago if Paladin's had to be in an order or could be directed to run 'solo' by their god(esses)), and had some questions about what Paladin's do and do not do.

1) My understanding is that Paladin's are not to associate with evil characters whatsoever. What of attempts at redemption? Is Mercy not a trait befitting one?

2) Mystra is a CG goddess; does this mean that Paladin's of her order would be more... 'lenient'? Like Paladin's of Sune, perhaps?

3) The server I play on, there is a town, full of innocent NPC's and overrun and ruled by a majority of evil PC's. This is a prime example of a conflict in my mind; Does the Lawful part of Lawful Good mean she would follow their rules and laws if they are unjust or are obviously going to oppress an innocent or result in evil further down the road? Would it be unlawful to strike down a truly evil character within the confines of this town, even if they are a member of a sponsored organization?

Or does the lawful mean they follow the laws/dictates/dogma of their god/goddess, or their own personal code of honor?

4) What if you discovered an official in a mostly 'good' city is corrupt; illegal though it would be to do something about it, would a Paladin fall if they attempted to try to stamp out said corruption?

Thank you in advance for answering my questions!

-NineCoronas

Mystra was NG not CG. Important to consider, as its only one step from LG, so by the rules, she could have paladins. Sune, by the rules, cannot (her paladins are considered a special case, as she can't even have clergy that are LG).

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

NineCoronas
Acolyte

USA
15 Posts

Posted - 30 May 2014 :  01:45:30  Show Profile Send NineCoronas a Private Message
I believe I had their alignments confused. Oops!
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2014 :  03:49:07  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Regcod, I'm afraid the answer to your query is: The Herald doesn't enlighten us one way or another re. Eilstraee. Or Lolth, for that matter.
Other fish were fried (and boy, were they fried!) in its pages. (A book not to miss!)
THO and Ed, sorry for stepping in to speak for you, but I know Ed can't say anything until the book is officially out on June 3rd, and won't be able to speak on a lot of "5e Realms" specifics until months after that, so . . . I dared to step in.
BB
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 01 Jun 2014 :  03:59:01  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Much obliged, dear. My own thinking is that we'll learn more about Lolth going forward in Bob Salvatore's next Drizzt novel, and more about Eilistraee going forward somewhere else that we don't know about yet.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Regcod
Acolyte

Italy
28 Posts

Posted - 03 Jun 2014 :  07:29:16  Show Profile Send Regcod a Private Message
@Blueblade & THO

But I already know that The Erald wouldn't shed any light now... I've just tried :P
Anyway what has wrote THO look intriguing and ... revealing? ;)

Oh, how I would like to know what Ed think about the 'departure' of Eilistraee and Vhaeraun... :P

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2014 :  02:23:06  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message
Happy birthday Ed. Hope it's a rollicking day enlivened by a drinking challenge from Mirt and the offer of a back rub from Laeral.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2014 :  06:11:55  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message
A very happy birthday to you Ed!

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).
Go to Top of Page

Regcod
Acolyte

Italy
28 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2014 :  08:02:02  Show Profile Send Regcod a Private Message
Somebody is aging here??? :P

Happy birthday Ed! :)

Go to Top of Page

Beppe63
Acolyte

Italy
43 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2014 :  08:48:51  Show Profile  Visit Beppe63's Homepage Send Beppe63 a Private Message
Friday is also my birthday, so it is with great pleasure that I learned that Ed's birthday is so close. Happy birthday Ed!! ;)

Bye.

Beppe63
Go to Top of Page

Irennan
Great Reader

Italy
3802 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2014 :  10:04:23  Show Profile Send Irennan a Private Message
Happy Birthday

Mathematics is the art of giving the same name to different things.
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2014 :  14:13:31  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message
A very Happy and Blessed Birthday, Ed! May God give lots of peace, health, love, success and happiness to you and to all your family, now and ever!

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

Demzer
Senior Scribe

873 Posts

Posted - 04 Jun 2014 :  14:41:33  Show Profile Send Demzer a Private Message
Happy Birthday Master of Realmslore! (Quick! Someone mix a potion of longevity with his drinks!)
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2014 :  01:18:09  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message
Um, Ed's birthday is in July..... at least according to his wiki page. But, then again, time does pass differently in Canada...

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2014 :  02:34:34  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Ed's birthday is indeed in July. It was The Herald's birth-day (as someone who was not Ed pointed out), and people seem to have confused it with his b'day.
Oh, well . . .
I suppose, like the Queen, he can have two. He has, after all, created worlds.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Foxhelm
Senior Scribe

Canada
592 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2014 :  02:43:21  Show Profile Send Foxhelm a Private Message
Well.. it is Ed's Unbirthday. He still has 364 of those, 365 in a leap year. Sp Happy Unbirthday, Mr. Greenwood!

Ed Greenwood! The Solution... and Cause of all the Realms Problems!
Go to Top of Page

BenN
Senior Scribe

Japan
382 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2014 :  03:07:25  Show Profile Send BenN a Private Message
I've just finished The Herald (got the ebook version from amazon), and enjoyed it; hopeful for the future, even if it was painful in part. A couple of spoiler-tastic questions for Ed (highlight to reveal):

1) Now that Shade has landed on top of Myth Drannor & destroyed it, what has become of the Tree of Souls?

2) Assuming that the 4e Campaign Guide info about Myth Drannor's population (10K) is correct, how many survived along with Ilsevele and Fflar?

Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

Regcod
Acolyte

Italy
28 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2014 :  07:43:32  Show Profile Send Regcod a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Foxhelm

Well.. it is Ed's Unbirthday. He still has 364 of those, 365 in a leap year. Sp Happy Unbirthday, Mr. Greenwood!

LOL!!!

What a mistake!!
But also true that also today it's Ed's Unbirthday!! Hey!! But it's also mine O_O!!
So happy unbirthday to all who deserve it! :P

Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6638 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2014 :  09:20:42  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message
Ahh, that would be because I relied on social media in my "lack of time-ed-ness" and went for it! Happy birthday for next month Ed. By that time, I'll very likely miss it in entirety.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Faraer
Great Reader

3308 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2014 :  14:23:56  Show Profile  Visit Faraer's Homepage Send Faraer a Private Message
I bring topical questions for Ed!

Will the new D&D/Realms art show any of the 'Robin Hoodiness' of your costume sketches included in Elminster's Forgotten Realms? (This prompted by this illustration, which shows adventurers blessedly not concept-designed and ornamented to death.)

How do you feel the flattened power curve of the fifth edition rules matches the Realms? And the not-quite-Vanceian magic system? Put another way, this question is about how exactly you adapted AD&D magic as an approximation of Realms magic.

If this is all premature, I bid thee stay silent and I'll ask again in time.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2014 :  16:32:39  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Faraer, I'm not sure how much Ed has seen of the forthcoming rules and/or artwork, but off your questions go to him, and we'll see what he has to say.
BenN, Ed did send me replies to your questions, so . . .

SPOILER WARNING!

SPOILER WARNING!

SPOILER WARNING!

QUESTIONS AND ED'S ANSWERS:

1) Now that Shade has landed on top of Myth Drannor & destroyed it, what has become of the Tree of Souls?

Ed: Ah, yes. Over the years, I have been slowly trained to resist including every last game-relevant lore detail in my novels, in the interests of shaping a better narrative storyline. Guess I erred too far in pruning, this time around. Sorry; this should have made it into my final draft, but didn’t (in the interests of keeping the pacing and the “fog of war” feel up). My bad.
When the POSSIBLE danger of Thultanthar crashing became apparent (i.e. when the city started flying towards Myth Drannor, not when what El did became obvious) the Srinshee contacted all the Myth Drannan baelnorn she could and commanded them to get to the Tree of Souls and magically shield and defend it, warping the Weave to form a protective barrier around it (so when Thultanthar came crashing down, it would punch through the city like a spike, and protect the Tree). This was done, and the Tree has survived. There has been some consternation among certain readers about Myth Drannor being entirely in ruins, but not so. Like any city that’s been fought through, a big cleanup is in order, but Thultanthar is a pretty small city, and Myth Drannor, being “at one with the forest” [growing trees as dwellings, trees and moss and open forest terrain everywhere, not human-habit “pave over everything” architecture, is a very large (in footprint) city. So a relatively small area of Myth Drannor was pancaked under the shattered remnants of Shade.

2) Assuming that the 4e Campaign Guide info about Myth Drannor's population (10K) is correct, how many survived along with Ilsevele and Fflar?

Ed: The 4e population figures are ROUGHLY correct, but the siege took some time to develop (mercenary armies being mustered in Sembia and then marched north), so the elves had warning, so many of their skilled artisans, pregnant shes, young children and families with young children, ailing elderly, wounded, and so on, GOT OUT (to Semberholme first and foremost, and to Evereska and elsewhere, too). Anyone who wanted to relocate rather than fight was given that option, without shame or recrimination.
In other words, the city was down to 6,400 or so “determined and able defenders” before the siege started, and they took heavy losses in the fighting by being worn down under the weight of sheer numbers; although they were inflicting very heavy losses on the attacking mercenaries, they were slowly beaten back - - and the very “open” nature of the city made it very hard to defend. The Coronal sent some vital individuals out of the fighting by making them envoys that she sent to elven communities all over the Realms to try to get volunteer reinforcements (few of which arrived on time). So in that way she saved another hundred or so.
However, the defenders died rather than surrender or flee, so the elves still in the city were reduced to around 1000 when it became apparent that the city couldn’t be held, and the children, wounded, and elders still in the city were rushed out through the gates (as seen near the end of THE HERALD). The Coronal and Fflar were literally fighting back to back at the end, with a handful of defenders still standing, when Thultanthar came down - - and almost all of that last handful made it out to Semberholme.
So at the end of THE HERALD, a few blocks of central Myth Drannor are rubble, under the shattered remnants of Thultanthar. Scavengers (monsters) are roaming the corpse-littered vicinity, and there’s minor damage to the outlying city, which is abandoned - - probably not for long. The surviving mercenaries are foraging/pillaging/behaving like brigands, and Sembia is in such disarray that there’s no chance of Sembia (or for that matter, any other realm) “reaching in” to annex or occupy the ruins. Perhaps 5,000 elves perished defending Myth Drannor - - and yes, the Tree of Souls survives. All indications are that the Srinshee did not; she sacrificed herself to save her people and smash Larloch (did HE survive? Unknown, but my bet would be that he did). Did Dove? Doubtful; she was “out of” silver fire, and wanted to die (to be with her beloved Florin), but may end up surviving as “a voice in the Weave” (the same fate as some of the Tanthul princes, and possibly The Simbul).
Many things were left “up in the air” for later stories, or for DMs to decide for themselves, for their campaign. Certain matters will be revealed in my NEXT Realms novel.
Hope this helps. Sorry for causing upset to some Realms readers!
Ed

So saith Ed. And there you have it. Please convey this to Aldrick.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Nicolai Withander
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1093 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2014 :  20:43:53  Show Profile Send Nicolai Withander a Private Message
The Srishee cant die! Or... well she can die the same way Mystra can die.
Go to Top of Page

BenN
Senior Scribe

Japan
382 Posts

Posted - 05 Jun 2014 :  21:49:26  Show Profile Send BenN a Private Message
Dear Ed & THO,

Thanks very much for the quick reply! Much appreciated.
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2014 :  06:47:10  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message
That makes me feel a little better. I was one of the peeved readers because I thought Myth Drannor had been entirely destroyed. ^^; sorry, Ed! I hope Dove gets to be with Florin, instead of being a voice in the Weave, unless she manages to be both. But I am a sap, so.

Question: several of the baelnorn were destroyed. What happens to them when they are "killed"? Do thry finally go to Arvandor, or do they cease to exist? I felt kind of bad for them.

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page

Marco Volo
Learned Scribe

France
201 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2014 :  08:45:14  Show Profile Send Marco Volo a Private Message
Hi Ed, THO and everybody,

I think we don't know what's inside the North Seacaves of Mount Waterdeep.
I don't recall a sourcebook detailing it. Can Ed tell us more about theses caves ?

Thanks,

A French Fries Fan ;)
Go to Top of Page

Regcod
Acolyte

Italy
28 Posts

Posted - 06 Jun 2014 :  10:43:59  Show Profile Send Regcod a Private Message
quote:

Hi again, all.
Faraer, I'm not sure how much Ed has seen of the forthcoming rules and/or artwork, but off your questions go to him, and we'll see what he has to say.
BenN, Ed did send me replies to your questions, so . . .

SPOILER WARNING!

SPOILER WARNING!

SPOILER WARNING!

QUESTIONS AND ED'S ANSWERS:

Ed: Ah, yes. Over the years, I have been slowly trained to resist including every last game-relevant lore detail in my novels, in the interests of shaping a better narrative storyline. Guess I erred too far in pruning, this time around. Sorry; this should have made it into my final draft, but didn’t (in the interests of keeping the pacing and the “fog of war” feel up). My bad.
When the POSSIBLE danger of Thultanthar crashing became apparent (i.e. when the city started flying towards Myth Drannor, not when what El did became obvious) the Srinshee contacted all the Myth Drannan baelnorn she could and commanded them to get to the Tree of Souls and magically shield and defend it, warping the Weave to form a protective barrier around it (so when Thultanthar came crashing down, it would punch through the city like a spike, and protect the Tree). This was done, and the Tree has survived. There has been some consternation among certain readers about Myth Drannor being entirely in ruins, but not so. Like any city that’s been fought through, a big cleanup is in order, but Thultanthar is a pretty small city, and Myth Drannor, being “at one with the forest” [growing trees as dwellings, trees and moss and open forest terrain everywhere, not human-habit “pave over everything” architecture, is a very large (in footprint) city. So a relatively small area of Myth Drannor was pancaked under the shattered remnants of Shade.

Ed: The 4e population figures are ROUGHLY correct, but the siege took some time to develop (mercenary armies being mustered in Sembia and then marched north), so the elves had warning, so many of their skilled artisans, pregnant shes, young children and families with young children, ailing elderly, wounded, and so on, GOT OUT (to Semberholme first and foremost, and to Evereska and elsewhere, too). Anyone who wanted to relocate rather than fight was given that option, without shame or recrimination.
In other words, the city was down to 6,400 or so “determined and able defenders” before the siege started, and they took heavy losses in the fighting by being worn down under the weight of sheer numbers; although they were inflicting very heavy losses on the attacking mercenaries, they were slowly beaten back - - and the very “open” nature of the city made it very hard to defend. The Coronal sent some vital individuals out of the fighting by making them envoys that she sent to elven communities all over the Realms to try to get volunteer reinforcements (few of which arrived on time). So in that way she saved another hundred or so.
However, the defenders died rather than surrender or flee, so the elves still in the city were reduced to around 1000 when it became apparent that the city couldn’t be held, and the children, wounded, and elders still in the city were rushed out through the gates (as seen near the end of THE HERALD). The Coronal and Fflar were literally fighting back to back at the end, with a handful of defenders still standing, when Thultanthar came down - - and almost all of that last handful made it out to Semberholme.
So at the end of THE HERALD, a few blocks of central Myth Drannor are rubble, under the shattered remnants of Thultanthar. Scavengers (monsters) are roaming the corpse-littered vicinity, and there’s minor damage to the outlying city, which is abandoned - - probably not for long. The surviving mercenaries are foraging/pillaging/behaving like brigands, and Sembia is in such disarray that there’s no chance of Sembia (or for that matter, any other realm) “reaching in” to annex or occupy the ruins. Perhaps 5,000 elves perished defending Myth Drannor - - and yes, the Tree of Souls survives. All indications are that the Srinshee did not; she sacrificed herself to save her people and smash Larloch (did HE survive? Unknown, but my bet would be that he did). Did Dove? Doubtful; she was “out of” silver fire, and wanted to die (to be with her beloved Florin), but may end up surviving as “a voice in the Weave” (the same fate as some of the Tanthul princes, and possibly The Simbul).
Many things were left “up in the air” for later stories, or for DMs to decide for themselves, for their campaign. Certain matters will be revealed in my NEXT Realms novel.
Hope this helps. Sorry for causing upset to some Realms readers!
Ed

So saith Ed. And there you have it. Please convey this to Aldrick.
love,
THO

First of all THANK to both of you :)

Reading these row I see really many plot and reall interesting open stories that can came out, like the chance for elves to rebuild again what they can of Myth Drannor, like a phoenix rising from the ashes. But not only ;)
So do I hope that Dove will met Florin at last and that's more important that she could be a 'voice' on the weave, because would be the fair rest.

Thank you again

Bye :)

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 29 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000