Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2014)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 29

Vaeloric Dehmarghast
Acolyte

2 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2014 :  05:50:48  Show Profile  Visit Vaeloric Dehmarghast's Homepage Send Vaeloric Dehmarghast a Private Message
Hello Ed, THO. I was wondering if there has been anything written on taxes for businesses in the cities of Faerun, how one would go about buying real estate in say Waterdeep, what laws and legislation would apply. Basically anything on what is needed for a retiring adventurer (apart from wealth) to engage in a more 'respectable' line of work? Apologies if this has already been asked. Also would like to know which cities enforce restrictions on travel through the use of travelling papers, if any?
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2014 :  10:16:04  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message
Interesting topic Vaeloric.... Ed, along the lines of his same topic... are there any countries in Faerun which would say prohibit non-citizens from owning property? I'm betting the answer is no, as citizenship is harder to track in the realms, but smaller countries might do this to inhibit outside influence (say Halruaa where the towns are all notedly small).

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

MagniThorson
Acolyte

20 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2014 :  12:41:25  Show Profile Send MagniThorson a Private Message
To Ed or THO,

How often does a family or person rise to the station of Noble in Waterdeep? Is it something that should be considered very rare and the known families mostly unchanging? For those who elevate themselves to Noble status in Waterdeep, what is the most usual catalyst? It they weren't related to a Noble family, how is that they are recognized?

Thanks,

MT

Edited by - MagniThorson on 26 Apr 2014 12:43:15
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2014 :  13:44:50  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message
@Magni: Before the Spellplague rising to Waterdeep's nobility was a rare (and arduous) endeavor. After the SP hit, however, noble titles were allowed to be purchased outright...so it's more common now. I'm hoping they return to the 'old ways' with the 5e version of the setting.

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page

MagniThorson
Acolyte

20 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2014 :  14:58:04  Show Profile Send MagniThorson a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Arcanamach

@Magni: Before the Spellplague rising to Waterdeep's nobility was a rare (and arduous) endeavor. After the SP hit, however, noble titles were allowed to be purchased outright...so it's more common now. I'm hoping they return to the 'old ways' with the 5e version of the setting.

Thank you. I haven't read any of the SP and latter novels and don't any 4E products but I would like the former ways also.

Edited by - MagniThorson on 26 Apr 2014 14:58:49
Go to Top of Page

MagniThorson
Acolyte

20 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2014 :  18:35:53  Show Profile Send MagniThorson a Private Message
To Ed,

How involved were you the Double Diamond Triangle Saga other than Mercenaries and the Diamond? How did you feel about the characterizations of the people in them? Were they pretty close to the way you envision them?

Thanks,

MT
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2014 :  20:00:21  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Two swift things from Ed: MagniThorson, Ed wasn't involved in the Double Diamond saga AT ALL other than those two books. I await his answer to the second question you pose in that post.
And re. the Sentinel's rape? scene: Ed won't comment further until he's read it.

To Vaeloric Dehmarghast, re. this: "Hello Ed, THO. I was wondering if there has been anything written on taxes for businesses in the cities of Faerun, how one would go about buying real estate in say Waterdeep, what laws and legislation would apply. Basically anything on what is needed for a retiring adventurer (apart from wealth) to engage in a more 'respectable' line of work? Apologies if this has already been asked. Also would like to know which cities enforce restrictions on travel through the use of travelling papers, if any?"

Ed replies: oh, yes, I've written about taxes (try "The Rise And Fall Of The Window Tax" on the Wizards website, among other things). Anyone can buy and own land in Waterdeep (there's no residency requirement), and except in times of war or for out-and-out "monsters" (orcs and drow are NOT considered out-and-out monsters, these days) no one there or in most cities will require travelling papers or deny entry: Waterdeep is a highly tolerant crossroads trading city, and has been for centuries.

And to sleyvas, re. this: "Interesting topic Vaeloric.... Ed, along the lines of this same topic... are there any countries in Faerun which would say prohibit non-citizens from owning property? I'm betting the answer is no, as citizenship is harder to track in the realms, but smaller countries might do this to inhibit outside influence (say Halruaa where the towns are all notedly small)."

Ed replies: Not that I know of, except perhaps Rashemen, but there are some cities (and city-states) that require citizenship or on-site residency that do, for "within-the-walls" urban buildings (in Chessenta, Tsurlagol, and Telflamm). Even in those cases, however, that doesn't mean the owner must reside on each specific property; there are landlords that live in one place in the city and own rental properties elsewhere in the city.
Note: I said "perhaps" above because it depends on a DM, being as we've hinted at property ownership restrictions but not explicitly stated it in print, yet.

. . . And that's it from Ed, for now.
love to all,
THO

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2014 :  20:11:58  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Oh, and one addition from me:
MagniThorson, The Arcanamach has the right of it. It was once VERY hard to get a new family into the nobility (individuals could manage it by marrying into an existing noble family), but the Rosemary Jones novel in the "Ed Greenwood Presents Waterdeep" series shows us the purchasing of titles becoming rife. However, the backlash is coming, hard and fast, to take things back to "the way they were." (Forthcoming instalments in the published Realms, Ed tells me, will let us all know how this goes.)
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2014 :  21:43:38  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Hi again, all.
Two swift things from Ed: MagniThorson, Ed wasn't involved in the Double Diamond saga AT ALL other than those two books. I await his answer to the second question you pose in that post.
And re. the Sentinel's rape? scene: Ed won't comment further until he's read it.

To Vaeloric Dehmarghast, re. this: "Hello Ed, THO. I was wondering if there has been anything written on taxes for businesses in the cities of Faerun, how one would go about buying real estate in say Waterdeep, what laws and legislation would apply. Basically anything on what is needed for a retiring adventurer (apart from wealth) to engage in a more 'respectable' line of work? Apologies if this has already been asked. Also would like to know which cities enforce restrictions on travel through the use of travelling papers, if any?"

Ed replies: oh, yes, I've written about taxes (try "The Rise And Fall Of The Window Tax" on the Wizards website, among other things). Anyone can buy and own land in Waterdeep (there's no residency requirement), and except in times of war or for out-and-out "monsters" (orcs and drow are NOT considered out-and-out monsters, these days) no one there or in most cities will require travelling papers or deny entry: Waterdeep is a highly tolerant crossroads trading city, and has been for centuries.

And to sleyvas, re. this: "Interesting topic Vaeloric.... Ed, along the lines of this same topic... are there any countries in Faerun which would say prohibit non-citizens from owning property? I'm betting the answer is no, as citizenship is harder to track in the realms, but smaller countries might do this to inhibit outside influence (say Halruaa where the towns are all notedly small)."

Ed replies: Not that I know of, except perhaps Rashemen, but there are some cities (and city-states) that require citizenship or on-site residency that do, for "within-the-walls" urban buildings (in Chessenta, Tsurlagol, and Telflamm). Even in those cases, however, that doesn't mean the owner must reside on each specific property; there are landlords that live in one place in the city and own rental properties elsewhere in the city.
Note: I said "perhaps" above because it depends on a DM, being as we've hinted at property ownership restrictions but not explicitly stated it in print, yet.

. . . And that's it from Ed, for now.
love to all,
THO

Thanks. You know, I hadn't really pondered the question before, but yeah, it would absolutely make sense that Rashemen would be strict on property ownership for outsiders (probably societal rather than governmental pressures would inhibit Rashemi from selling their land to non-Rashemi). I also like the add-on that "within the walls" portions of countries might not want non-citizens in certain areas (say close to the capitol buildings, etc...).

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

MagniThorson
Acolyte

20 Posts

Posted - 26 Apr 2014 :  23:58:41  Show Profile Send MagniThorson a Private Message
THO,

Thanks for the answers. I am glad to hear that going forward there will be a stable cast of Noble families. I think it adds an element to campaigning for a noble aspirant to have to seek more than fortune to become one of heralded few.

I actually just read through the Double Diamond books again and knew Ed wrote the 3 & 9 but didn't know if he had some kind of editorial oversight on the plot and characters. I remember at the time of publication thinking that it was an interesting concept. It struck me as written to a younger audience than that the normal FR novel reader. I imagine the structure and length had to have a somewhat limiting effect for the writers.

Thanks and I look forward to Ed's answer.

MT

Edited by - MagniThorson on 27 Apr 2014 03:31:49
Go to Top of Page

scuda
Acolyte

36 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2014 :  00:43:34  Show Profile Send scuda a Private Message
I think maybe my question was overlooked...or, unaswerable?

Hello,
I'm looking to find the entire speech—if it exists—of Fzoul Chembryl, as quoted from the novel Elminster's Daughter:

THE BRIGHTNESS OF THE LURE

I put out my hand, and the fish swam right into my net-as they always do. It's all in the brightness of the lure you offer.

Fzoul Chembryl, High Lord of the Zhentarim, Conquering What I Want of the World: Words For All the Brethren to Live By (text of speech, circulated amongst the Zhentarim) Year of the Unstrung Harp

Can anyone advise or point me to a source? Thank you in advance.
Go to Top of Page

Vaeloric Dehmarghast
Acolyte

2 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2014 :  02:17:17  Show Profile  Visit Vaeloric Dehmarghast's Homepage Send Vaeloric Dehmarghast a Private Message
Thank you Ed and THO for your reply, your input and involvement with the realms community all this time is greatly appreciated.
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2014 :  03:28:59  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by scuda

quote:

scuda, I'm not sure if the full text is NDA or not. I'll ask Ed...

For future reference scuda, no question in this thread is overlooked. Some are unanswerable, but more often it just takes a while for Ed to get around to properly answering certain questions. You would not believe the workload he's under. He and THO have been very generous over the last 10 years, in sharing what little free time they have with us. We must be patient and respectful.
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2014 :  17:57:54  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message
Tantam All

A question if I may about where Monarchs of Cormyr are buried?

I am assuming that most of them are placed in the royal crypts, but are there any bodies buried elsewhere in other cities? or has there ever been 'political conflicts' between cities in Cormyr wanting their King/Queen buried in their city ("King / Queen X was born in Arabel and so should be buried here and not in Suzail")

Of course if there are other bodies buried elsewhere for 'other reasons' can Ed hint at any of them?

Kind regards

Damian

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005
Go to Top of Page

paladinnicolas
Seeker

92 Posts

Posted - 27 Apr 2014 :  21:00:46  Show Profile Send paladinnicolas a Private Message
As a Latin American I would like to ask Ed if he has ever used the land of Maztica (and neighboring lands) in his Forgotten Realms games; and if after the Sundering it may return. Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2014 :  05:01:03  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by paladinnicolas

As a Latin American I would like to ask Ed if he has ever used the land of Maztica (and neighboring lands) in his Forgotten Realms games; and if after the Sundering it may return. Thanks!

I think the latter will be covered by an NDA.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2014 :  08:17:46  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by paladinnicolas

As a Latin American I would like to ask Ed if he has ever used the land of Maztica (and neighboring lands) in his Forgotten Realms games; ...
You mean, like Anchorome, perhaps?

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

scuda
Acolyte

36 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2014 :  14:38:56  Show Profile Send scuda a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by xaeyruudh

quote:
Originally posted by scuda

quote:

scuda, I'm not sure if the full text is NDA or not. I'll ask Ed...

For future reference scuda, no question in this thread is overlooked. Some are unanswerable, but more often it just takes a while for Ed to get around to properly answering certain questions. You would not believe the workload he's under. He and THO have been very generous over the last 10 years, in sharing what little free time they have with us. We must be patient and respectful.

Thank you. It is easy to patiently wait, when you know someone saw the question. Cheers.
Go to Top of Page

paladinnicolas
Seeker

92 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2014 :  14:56:30  Show Profile Send paladinnicolas a Private Message
Well, about Anchorome I am aware of Ed having mentioning it in products he has worked on (as Murder in Baldur's Gate), so was thinking more of Maztica, Lapongo and Katashaka, i.e. those places with more Native American feel.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2014 :  19:42:46  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, all.
crazed venturers, in partial answer to you most recent query (Ed will, of course, have to give the definitive one): "A question if I may about where Monarchs of Cormyr are buried? I am assuming that most of them are placed in the royal crypts, but are there any bodies buried elsewhere in other cities? or has there ever been 'political conflicts' between cities in Cormyr wanting their King/Queen buried in their city ("King / Queen X was born in Arabel and so should be buried here and not in Suzail") Of course if there are other bodies buried elsewhere for 'other reasons' can Ed hint at any of them?"
. . . here's what I can glean, Damian, from my notes of what Ed's said, over the years:

The great majority of Cormyr's monarchs are buried in the royal crypts, but at least one is buried in Marsember, and several have empty coffins in the crypts, because their bodies have never been found. I'm not aware of any "tussles over where a monarch 'should' be buried," but that's just me.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2014 :  04:14:49  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message
I don't know if this has been asked, but I have heard rumors that after the Sundering books, there will be fewer FR novels released. Is this true? What is the future of the novels?

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2014 :  20:20:06  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message
Ye gods Devout, let's hope that isn't true. I suppose it would be okay to scale back the amount of novels A LITTLE, but they need to make money and the novel line is/was like a life raft for the setting.

I would like to see them allow independent (non-contractual) authors to submit novels that are more in-depth/complicated than your standard setting book. I would absolutely kill for a series of books on par with G.R.R. Martin or Stephen R. Donaldson set in the Realms.

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2014 :  20:47:23  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message
It's just a rumor I read on this site. I don't know how true it is. I hope they don't decrease it, either. I mainly read the novels, myself, so not having the literature would be a big disappointment

Go to Top of Page

Kentinal
Great Reader

4684 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2014 :  20:58:36  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message
I am not sure this is the place to ask, WotC will published what and when they will. Ed can only answer for sure what books he has been asked to write or consult on, he has no idea when, for sure, they would be published.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2014 :  03:55:20  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

I am not sure this is the place to ask, WotC will published what and when they will. Ed can only answer for sure what books he has been asked to write or consult on, he has no idea when, for sure, they would be published.

And until any such books are announced, he would likely be under an NDA and not able to say anything about it.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2014 :  04:09:35  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message
Okay, well I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask ^^;

Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2014 :  07:04:02  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message
quote:
The great majority of Cormyr's monarchs are buried in the royal crypts, but at least one is buried in Marsember, and several have empty coffins in the crypts, because their bodies have never been found. I'm not aware of any "tussles over where a monarch 'should' be buried," but that's just me.
love,
THO

Thank you Good Lady for your response

Like the coffins in the crypts but no bodies in them - might have the PC's find a Royal skeleton and some how they have to get it into a coffin without getting caught.......

Cheers

Damian

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 04 May 2014 :  11:10:52  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by CorellonsDevout

Okay, well I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask ^^;

Not to worry, Correllons. You're simply curious.

And, as you know, we here at Candlekeep live to foster the collective curiosity of our resident scribes.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Daviot
Senior Scribe

USA
372 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2014 :  05:35:39  Show Profile  Visit Daviot's Homepage Send Daviot a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

And, as you know, we here at Candlekeep live to foster the collective curiosity of our resident scribes.

Yup. And all I have is curiosity and a stack of unread Realms novels...and other novels...and writing projects...and *grumble* work, while waiting to see what direction 'The Sundering' takes things.

One usually has far more to fear from the soft-spoken wizard with a blade and well-worn boots than from the boisterous one in the ivory tower.
My Tabletop Writing CV.
Go to Top of Page

paladinnicolas
Seeker

92 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2014 :  08:59:25  Show Profile Send paladinnicolas a Private Message
Dear THO and Ed, I would like to ask another question (they have been many as of late, but I like the Realms more and more): are monsters really commonplace and ordinary, as novels and adventures may lead one to think, or ordinary people do not come across them often and they retain a sense of mystery and unknown. I wonder if perhaps their being so ubiquitous in novels is due to the fact that novels show action and extraordinary events, while in fact in the 'true' Realms monsters are not known by most people. Thanks!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 29 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000