Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 Running the Realms
 powerful wizard goes wild in Waterdeep?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

astion
Acolyte

5 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2013 :  06:07:23  Show Profile Send astion a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
situation:
In the middle of the night. Powerfull shadow wave user (Wiz19 for example) goes wild (with mass destruction spells like cloudkill) in north ward of Waterdeep (near Maiden's Tears tavern).
Who can intervene , and how fast? (barring gods)

I expect PC will stop that rampage, but after breef enconter (and unlucky death of party paladin), it seems like survivors prefer to retreat and hide, leaving innocent inhabitants of north ward to their fate.

I plan Gray Hands appearance after couple rounds , but i feel like they be hindrance at best
Who else can help , at that time (midnight) fast enough(i.e 10-30 sec) to prevent destruction of ward?
________
and as usual my apologies for my english.

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2013 :  07:15:29  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Within seconds? No one unless there just happens to be someone nearby. Watch Mages may be nearby if they are hired to do so (but that isn't entirely common, and being able to deal with a level 19 mage would be difficult for most of those willing to hire themselves out for a living).

Force Grey would do nicely...once they are activated. They are only used in special circumstances and aren't immediately available to respond to a crisis. I doubt a credible response could be mustered in less than an hour (likely longer) as the proper people are contacted, gird themselves, and respond to the scene...unless we assume that these channels are intentionally left 'open' for rapid response, in which case you may get a team up and on scene in a matter of a few minutes (10-20 methinks). That is assuming the rapid use of magic to contact the required individuals ONCE an individual with the authority to do so has deemed such a response necessary (a duty captain or whatever rank they hold in Waterdeep, for instance).

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page

Plaguescarred
Learned Scribe

Canada
190 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2013 :  10:36:22  Show Profile Send Plaguescarred a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Just about anybody as powerful if you want could rapidly intervene. Luckily for Waterdeep's citizens safety, a drama of this magnitude could have been forwarned via divination by powerful cleric/wizard and a large contingent of officers composed of civilars and war wizards, griffon riders, active Harpers agents along with members from the Grey Hands and Lord Alliance and possibly aided by former Red Sashes agents could have stand by ready to stop it or even prevent it.

Otherwise, under more normal circumstances i'd imagine that within a few rounds there'd be a city patrol, followed by important wizard/cleric a few minutes later.

Yan
Playtester

Edited by - Plaguescarred on 26 Dec 2013 10:42:28
Go to Top of Page

astion
Acolyte

5 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2013 :  12:01:58  Show Profile Send astion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
thanks for replies
i never heard about "emergency divination corps" in Waterdeep before, where i can read more about it?
And i doubt that typical night city patrol have important clericwizard in their ranks, and even if they have , i really really doubt that "important wizard" (wiz10-12 ?) will be enough for that kind of trouble.
________
Go to Top of Page

astion
Acolyte

5 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2013 :  12:12:36  Show Profile Send astion a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Arcanamach

Within seconds? No one unless there just happens to be someone nearby.

I think with maddening speeches about inventable darkness , and power of shadow weave i can stetch timing for minutes. Say 5 minutes.

quote:

and being able to deal with a level 19 mage would be difficult for most of those willing to hire themselves out for a living).

I have same feelings about Watch mages and dont really count on them. Only useful thing i can figure out of them right now- mass barrage of "dispel magic" as counter spells.

________
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2013 :  14:48:25  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There are a fair number of powerful wizards living in Waterdeep, too, that aren't part of the Watchful Order. Dragons in disguise, as well. I think any of them would react pretty quickly to someone trashing their home.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Marco Volo
Learned Scribe

France
201 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2013 :  17:23:46  Show Profile Send Marco Volo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If you want the fight to be epic, dragons are the best solution or... the intervention of Ahghairon, forever protector of the city if it is in gran danger that no people can extinct.

(As a DM, I couldn't support this solution, but if the campaign is officially a "too much"-style campaign, you can go with it.

Edited by - Marco Volo on 26 Dec 2013 17:25:10
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 26 Dec 2013 :  17:30:42  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I downloaded the 'Mages gone Wild' video. I especially like the Spring Break episode. The things those magelings do when arcane college lets out!

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2013 :  00:19:23  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I hated 'Mages Gone Wild'...all those apprentices walking around with their wands hanging out and shooting off their spells all over people...disgusting I tell ya!

Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2013 :  07:22:31  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In the north ward there may be a Statue of Waterdeep that could respond quickly to a magical threat.

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/
Go to Top of Page

Plaguescarred
Learned Scribe

Canada
190 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2013 :  14:45:41  Show Profile Send Plaguescarred a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by astion

i never heard about "emergency divination corps" in Waterdeep before, where i can read more about it?
I had just made it up : )

Yan
Playtester

Edited by - Plaguescarred on 27 Dec 2013 14:46:46
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 28 Dec 2013 :  20:41:11  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I just read in El's FR that Waterdavian patrols all have horns that are, obviously, used to call for help. Different signals mean different things, one of which signals a wizard of the Order to come. So, it appears that there is always a duty wizard (or more) on call. Doubtful any of them would be high enough level to deal with your villain, but they are available 24/7. I would also assume that the on-call mage has the means to summon more help, including the BIG GUN wizard(s). I still doubt they would be there in seconds, but likely less than 10 minutes.

Edited by - The Arcanamach on 28 Dec 2013 20:43:22
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000