Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Favored Arcane User.
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Alruane
Senior Scribe

USA
434 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2013 :  19:50:32  Show Profile Send Alruane a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
I know, this had been asked of you before and it's been beaten into the ground I am sure. But I am curious, not for polls sake, but for knowledge sake. What is your favorite Wizard or spell user Realms related or not? It can be anyone! From the highest mightiest mage, down to the most humble and inexperienced arcane student. I want to know what makes you enjoy this person/persons so much! It can be more than one in a particular order, or just one person in general. You don't have to go into detail or make a novel about it if you do not wish. But give us a little back story as to why they are your favorite! I love hearing the opinions of others on fellow mages and sorcerers! Feel free to post as much as you wish.

" I wonder if you are destined to be forgotten. Will your life fade in the shadow of greater beings?"
~Joneleth Irenicus

"Wisdom? My dear boy, wisdom is knowing that you do not know everything. Wisdom is realizing, a wise man ALWAYS has questions. Not answers."

~Alruane

Edited by - Alruane on 02 Dec 2013 16:49:26

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36782 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2013 :  21:37:33  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't know if I could call him my favorite, but one spellslinger I really like has only appeared in an issue of Dragon magazine: Baelam the Bold. I really did the idea of the mage with the mechanical hand.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Alruane
Senior Scribe

USA
434 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2013 :  22:45:25  Show Profile Send Alruane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Good choice! I like the idea of doing something different with magic users, for example his mechanical hand. Something out of the box from the usual types, at the very least something interesting. Thanks for your input.

" I wonder if you are destined to be forgotten. Will your life fade in the shadow of greater beings?"
~Joneleth Irenicus

"Wisdom? My dear boy, wisdom is knowing that you do not know everything. Wisdom is realizing, a wise man ALWAYS has questions. Not answers."

~Alruane
Go to Top of Page

Firestorm
Senior Scribe

Canada
826 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2013 :  00:04:40  Show Profile Send Firestorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hmmm.

Well, depends on who is depicting them. I loved the depiction of Gromph in Resurrection, searching for the phylactery, etc

For a good old time, I liked Akabar Bel Akash. Mage of no small matter! lol. He started out as a "greengrocer" as Alias called him, but actually became moderately powerful.

Not a particular Wizard, but the line of Baerauble the venerable, who first befriended Ondeth Obaskyr when they first moved into the land of the purple dragon, and later, much to his dismay, was told by the Elflord Iliphar that he had to leave his wife Alea Dahast and his children and become the permanent guardian of Cormyr's newly established throne. Alea Dahast went on to help found the Mythal at Myth Drannor, and her children later had more children, until old B needed a successor and Amedahast ended up learning from him. She in turn taught Thanderahast, who in turn taught Jorunhast. Jorunhast of course was the first in 1000 years relieved of duty by Azoun IV's father(not really his fault lol), but he did as he was commanded and sent his apprentice Vangerdahast :)

Cormyr: A Novel really is a great piece of work.
Go to Top of Page

Alruane
Senior Scribe

USA
434 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2013 :  00:12:57  Show Profile Send Alruane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I like your choices, very detailed indeed!

Myth Drannor, that place always fascinated me. Even during Elminster's time there, definitely interesting story. I have not read that novel before, but I shall have to check it out. Thank you for your input as well by the way!

~Joneleth Irenicus

~Alruane
Go to Top of Page

Firestorm
Senior Scribe

Canada
826 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2013 :  00:36:44  Show Profile Send Firestorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alruane

I like your choices, very detailed indeed!

Myth Drannor, that place always fascinated me. Even during Elminster's time there, definitely interesting story. I have not read that novel before, but I shall have to check it out. Thank you for your input as well by the way!

If you read Cormyr, come back here and tell me what you think!
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2013 :  00:39:07  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
So many to choose from:
Jalynfein the "Spider Mage" from Menzo boxed set. I always liked that the highest level mage in Menzo was non-ebil.
Velomar Dauntcastle the "Roaring Mage" from The Magister. Known for his hard drinking ways and pranks...so different from how many mages are portrayed.
Kurtal of Sreve, "Old Jawbone" from The Magister. Ugly with a bad attitude he still wished to leave his knowledge behind for others to use (despite his apparently evil alignment).
Taline Telgara the "Flame of the North" is likely my favorite in Realmslore. Known for making friends and lovers out of even evil mages who might have slain her instead. Became a magical blade also called The Flame of the North after she was slain (and lost the office of Magister).
Khelben...just because I like the stern "father/uncle" personality he possesses (my favorite Chosen as well).

There are others, but my favorite published wizard isn't from the Realms. It's Raistlin Majere from Dragonlance. Everything from his personality, his initial story (how he came to look as he did), to his 'sacrifice' in becoming evil. And, despite being EBIL...he still had a sense of justice, always paid his debts and was still willing to do the right thing to save the world. There was also the conflicted feelings he had for his brother. More than any other mage I've seen, Raistilin's character seemed to be the most well thought out and realistic, IMO.

Of course, my all time favorite wizard is my homebrew --uber-mage/I wish I were him--character named Xarthalion (the Arcanamach). But I may be biased there.

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page

Alruane
Senior Scribe

USA
434 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2013 :  00:39:17  Show Profile Send Alruane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I most certainly will!

~Joneleth Irenicus

~Alruane
Go to Top of Page

Entromancer
Senior Scribe

USA
388 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2013 :  00:47:38  Show Profile Send Entromancer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Either Aoth Fezim or Jheshri Coldcreek. It's a hard choice for me. I like Aoth because of how goal oriented he is. I admire his professionalism. Jhreshi had an interesting backstory, and her development over the course of the first 3 Brotherhood of the Griffon novels was quite enjoyable.

Outside of the realms?

Quick Ben or Elric of Melnibone. I like Ben's wits and ingenuity while Elric came as a breath of fresh air when I was looking for something new in fantasy. I admire Elric's sense of individualism and his wits. Elric's path to becoming an excellent spellcaster is pretty altruistic. He wanted to secure his rule over Melnibone to guide his people into a new age where they were on equal footing with mankind (whereas Melniboneans had traditionally been tyrants that ruled most of the Earth). He ended up striking a bargain with Arioch, a Duke of Hell, in order to secure his rulership and track down a usurper who believed his ambitions would be the downfall of the Melniboneans.

"...the will is everything. The will to act."--Ra's Al Ghul

"Suffering builds character."--Talia Al Ghul

Edited by - Entromancer on 17 Nov 2013 01:04:23
Go to Top of Page

Firestorm
Senior Scribe

Canada
826 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2013 :  00:52:24  Show Profile Send Firestorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
OMG. I just realized. Danilo Thann!!

Yes he became a bard instead of a spellcaster later on, but he was probably among the most fun characters ever. Khelben's nephew the dandy.

Danilo is exceptionally smart and skilled at figuring things out, while being a low/mid level mage. His cover is he is a drinking, carefree noble who is inept at everything. Everyone thinks this of him. Little do they know haha.

If you like the show "Castle" with Nathan Fillion, you would love Danilo Thann. Arilyn Moonblade from the same first book "Elfshadow", is basically a Forgotten realms version of Beckett too!

In fact, I would go so far as to say that show ripped off those two lol.

Elfshadow is one of the quintessential realms novels that truly picks up the feel of what forgotten realms was and uses existing lore and NPC's to fullest potential.
Go to Top of Page

Alruane
Senior Scribe

USA
434 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2013 :  00:54:35  Show Profile Send Alruane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Very interesting, I like it. I think it's great you took favored users from within the Realms, and outside of the Realms. Thanks for your input on this!
I agree, the character development usually gets me with certain classes of magic users. Because it's very interesting to see HOW they came upon their craft. What drove them to become what they are, or what incident took place for them to delve into magic. Always key in good character development of any story regardless of class or race, etc.

~Joneleth Irenicus

~Alruane
Go to Top of Page

Fellfire
Master of Realmslore

1965 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2013 :  01:13:09  Show Profile Send Fellfire a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I was always a fan of the Harple's

Misanthorpe

Love is a lie. Only hate endures. Light is blinding. Only in darkness do we see clearly.

"Oh, you think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it, molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was already a man, by then it was nothing to me but.. blinding. The shadows betray you because they belong to me." - Bane The Dark Knight Rises

Green Dragonscale Dice Bag by Crystalsidyll - check it out

Go to Top of Page

Alruane
Senior Scribe

USA
434 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2013 :  01:35:45  Show Profile Send Alruane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I had a curious soft spot for them as well.

~Joneleth Irenicus

~Alruane
Go to Top of Page

Alruane
Senior Scribe

USA
434 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2013 :  04:58:01  Show Profile Send Alruane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My favorite wizard of all time is of course, Elminster Aumar. I loved reading all of Ed Greenwood's novels on his most popular character, one he created during his campaign through FR. I enjoyed seeing Eliminster evolve from simple man making a living , to brigand, to city thief, and then onto priest of Mystra, to mage. His transformation took centuries and spanned several novels. But watching it in those novels was the most entertaining and amazing adventure I have ever read about. So much is to be said about this brilliant man.

~Joneleth Irenicus

~Alruane
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4430 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2013 :  08:52:07  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Probably Geran Hulmaster, a Swordmage and main character from the Blades of Moonsea series.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2013 :  09:16:32  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

I'm very partial to wizards, so I have quite a number of favorites. First on that list (in the Realms only, as my most favorite is not from this setting) is Telamont Tanthul, the Most High of Shade, especially how Paul has portrayed him in his books. A man lost in shadows, evil through and through, obsessed with the ambition to rebuild fallen Netheril (the arguably most powerful magical empire in history), but still has a heart for his family. He's brilliant, cunning, and never underestimates his foes.

And the following, in no particular order:

Aeron Morieth, because he has an interesting background. I usually can't stand elves, but he's half human, so it's fine, especially that he acts more human than his other half heritage. He's a shadow mage but not evil, yet it's interesting that Shar (an evil deity) explicitly commands her followers not to touch him.

Szass Tam, because he's a mad genius, albeit a little misguided. Conquering Thay after centuries of scheming takes brilliance, patience, and power--all of which he has.

Larloch, the Great Unknown, because he's so powerful that the gods in their right mind would have to tread carefully in his presence.

Pharaun Mizzrym, because you rarely encounter a very interesting drow wizard with a sense of humor.

Aoth Fezim, because he's a bald Thayan and a competent captain. And he loves his griffons.

Jhesri Coldcreek, because she's an oxymoron of many things and because she rid the world of a mad, annoying red dragon who believed himself a god.

Bastun, because he literally rose from his fall from grace.

Sammaster, because he nearly wiped out all the (stinky) dragons.

Brennus Tanthul, because he's a "good" son. Paul fleshed him out so well you can really sympathize with him.

Melegaunt Tanthul, because his manipulative skills is almost unmatched.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Alruane
Senior Scribe

USA
434 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2013 :  09:31:37  Show Profile Send Alruane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Brilliant! I love this list, very good explanation of some of these magic users. I need to look up a few of them as they are quite new to me.

~Joneleth Irenicus

~Alruane
Go to Top of Page

Alruane
Senior Scribe

USA
434 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2013 :  09:33:33  Show Profile Send Alruane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Also, thank you for your input. Very wonderful list!

~Joneleth Irenicus

~Alruane
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2013 :  09:56:29  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

You're welcome, Alruane.

More:

Elminster, because of his classic-fantasy background (ordinary thief turned [one of the] most powerful mage in the world) and the burden he's always carried for being Mystra's foremost Chosen.

Khelben Arunsun, because his grim disposition sometimes is a breath of fresh air.

Rivalen Tanthul, because he's a nihilistic, misguided son obsessed with nothing but to end the world with him.

Lallara Mediocros, the Zulkir of Abjuration, because she's bitchy and showed a trait (toward the end of Unholy) that no one would ever expect from a zulkir.

Alassra Silverhand, the Simbul, because she's very unpredictable and a bane of many Red Wizards.

Karsus, because he killed a goddess and changed the system of magic in Toril.

Gromph Baenre, because being surrounded by backstabbing siblings and not getting killed takes incredible talent.

Liriel Baenre, because it's not always you see a drow female wizard, and a witty one at that.

Go to Top of Page

Alruane
Senior Scribe

USA
434 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2013 :  09:58:50  Show Profile Send Alruane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
This list I know more of, I do wholeheartedly agree about Elminster. As well as Khelben and Gromph. Having siblings like his DOES take talent to evade from being killed by. Haha Well put, Dennis.

~Joneleth Irenicus

~Alruane
Go to Top of Page

Tarlyn
Learned Scribe

USA
315 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2013 :  12:58:25  Show Profile Send Tarlyn a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Off the top of my head my list would be:

Elminster
Alustriel
Khelben
Halaster

Oh and recently Catti-Brie

Tarlyn Embersun
Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1267 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2013 :  17:27:29  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My list:

Robillard - I hope we find out what happened to him after The Pirate King where he single handedly slew the leader of the Arcane Brotherhood in spell battle

The Simbul - Alassra is just plain old awesome. I love her character so much. Her fight to rescue her lover in Elminster in Hell is some of my favorite Realms fiction ever.

Aznar Thrul - as he was written before his incredibly stupidly-written death that heralded the craptacular Spellplague and the end of all that was good to me in the Realms (disclaimer: my opinion only, with all respects given to those who love 4th edition). Makes total sense for a paranoid master of invocation/evocation to have no contingency spells in place. If you're the worst writer ever.

Go to Top of Page

Firestorm
Senior Scribe

Canada
826 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2013 :  17:55:43  Show Profile Send Firestorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Seravin

My list:

Robillard - I hope we find out what happened to him after The Pirate King where he single handedly slew the leader of the Arcane Brotherhood in spell battle

The Simbul - Alassra is just plain old awesome. I love her character so much. Her fight to rescue her lover in Elminster in Hell is some of my favorite Realms fiction ever.

Aznar Thrul - as he was written before his incredibly stupidly-written death that heralded the craptacular Spellplague and the end of all that was good to me in the Realms (disclaimer: my opinion only, with all respects given to those who love 4th edition). Makes total sense for a paranoid master of invocation/evocation to have no contingency spells in place. If you're the worst writer ever.

With lightning no less! Even though Liches are immune to electricity!
Go to Top of Page

Alruane
Senior Scribe

USA
434 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2013 :  20:23:20  Show Profile Send Alruane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Tarlyn

Off the top of my head my list would be:

Elminster
Alustriel
Khelben
Halaster

Oh and recently Catti-Brie

I never knew Catti-Brie used magic! That is very interesting, I finally made it to the Icewind Dale Trilogy so I do not know much about Drizzt's party. I like the 5 you have chosen though. Thank you for your input.

~Joneleth Irenicus

~Alruane
Go to Top of Page

Alruane
Senior Scribe

USA
434 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2013 :  20:26:40  Show Profile Send Alruane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

My list:

Very much so Seravin, I am also highly interested in the Simbul. I recall reading Elminster In Hell and that book was very much disturbing. But it was so well written and The Simbul's help with Elminster getting out of hell really made it more interesting. They spoke more of her which always peaked my interest.

~Joneleth Irenicus

~Alruane
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2013 :  22:41:13  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
With lightning no less! Even though Liches are immune to electricity!

That still bugs me.

quote:
I never knew Catti-Brie used magic!

That is a recent development (recent as in books, not the timeline).

The Simbul almost single handedly held the Red Wizards of Thay at bay (they tried to conquer Aglarond numerous times). She is known to have slain thousands of Thayvian soldiers whilst fighting solo (all at once that is). She was reworked into a sorceress under 3e (a move I disliked and never incorporated into my homebrew Realms).

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1267 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2013 :  22:47:54  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You'd think Bob would have read his Monster Manual and checked up on liches before he wrote that scene. I think Beast did a big write up about it at some point on these boards though. Regardless, I love Robillard even if he shouldn't have killed AG with shocking grasp or whatever lightning spell it was....
Go to Top of Page

Alruane
Senior Scribe

USA
434 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2013 :  22:48:33  Show Profile Send Alruane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Gotta love The Simbul. haha
Okay, no wonder I had no clue. I never knew she used magic at all so it was news to me.

~Joneleth Irenicus

~Alruane
Go to Top of Page

Alruane
Senior Scribe

USA
434 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2013 :  23:56:09  Show Profile Send Alruane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

You'd think Bob would have read his Monster Manual and checked up on liches before he wrote that scene. I think Beast did a big write up about it at some point on these boards though. Regardless, I love Robillard even if he shouldn't have killed AG with shocking grasp or whatever lightning spell it was....

I actually forgot about the lightning thing when it came to liches to. haha

~Joneleth Irenicus

~Alruane
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2013 :  13:43:27  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Very much so Seravin, I am also highly interested in the Simbul. I recall reading Elminster In Hell and that book was very much disturbing. But it was so well written and The Simbul's help with Elminster getting out of hell really made it more interesting. They spoke more of her which always peaked my interest.
If you want to read another book where the Simbul has relatively more face time, grab The Simbul's Gift. It also touches on Alassra's "relationship" with Thay and its rulers, particularly a sly, handsome zulkir.

Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11712 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2013 :  14:05:19  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dennis

quote:

If you want to read another book where the Simbul has relatively more face time, grab The Simbul's Gift. It also touches on Alassra's "relationship" with Thay and its rulers, particularly a sly, handsome zulkir.

Yeah, I liked that book. I did not like that they put in some mage that could dictate to the council of Zulkirs. Beyond that piece though, not too bad.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000