Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Someone... who should come back in 5e....
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Firestorm
Senior Scribe

Canada
826 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2013 :  00:35:50  Show Profile Send Firestorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Yeah, I'd love to see Cat as the 'wise old matron' of clan Wyvernspur... with lots of little 'wyvernspurs' with an odd bloodline ability.

And somewhere in a novel about them, a cameo by her sister Alias. Don't even name her... just refer to her as 'my sister'. Yeah... that'd be AWESOME.

meee too!
I was happy as heck when Cat and Giogi made a quick appearance in Cormyr, a novel.

Heck, the Wyvern's spur book Cat was introduced in was hilarious all around. When Olive was turned into an ass and pet of Giogi was just great(OMG, I just fell for the old apple/halter trick!). She was smart enough to see when people like Cat were playing it up, but Dandy old Giogi was just a pushover

Go to Top of Page

Firestorm
Senior Scribe

Canada
826 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2013 :  00:57:25  Show Profile Send Firestorm a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

Bringing back Khelben seems a dangerous precedent. Sure, he was a Chosen quasi-divine sort, which could easily explain a miraculous resurrection. But, as I understand it, Mystra‘s Magisters and Chosen could only retire through permanent death, their soul essence stuff irrevocably merged into Mystra and her Weave ... bringing back a Chosen just opens the door for bookloads of cheap deaths and even cheaper lack of final deaths, it would make the legendary battles and sacrifices of these characters largely meaningless routine.

Though there does seem to be some merit in the notion of a Waterdhavian Cult of Khelben, the sincere faith of which might manifest a sort of half-amnesiac composite avatar of Khelben in times of great need. Better yet, other deities (oh, Cyric or Mask or Bane?) Might impersonate such a quasi-Khelben to further their own objectives.

I might be mistaken, but doesn‘t spellfire also grant exceptional longevity, agelessness, or effective immortality? If so, then people like Shandril might also still be around, and presumably much grown in power after mastering spellfire for a century.

Didn't she nuke herself in the 3rd spellfire book?
Go to Top of Page

Seravin
Master of Realmslore

Canada
1267 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2013 :  03:02:33  Show Profile Send Seravin a Private Message  Reply with Quote
She sort of appeared as a spirit of sorts at the end if I remember? God I really hated Hand of Fire. Why didn't anyone just teleport her or use a gate to get her to Silverymoon? Why did she have to take the world's most dangerous caravan full of killers to get there?

Crown of Fire I loved, though.
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2013 :  13:51:44  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I seem to remember Shandril went to Mystra... and we all remember what happened to Mystra and her Realm. Poor Azuth.

"Evil prevails when good men fail to act."
The original and unapologetic Arilyn, Aribeth, Seoni Fanboy.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2013 :  14:32:00  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've never read the last Spellfire novel; when I heard how it ends, I didn't bother.

Life is sad enough.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Steven Schend
Forgotten Realms Designer & Author

USA
1707 Posts

Posted - 14 Nov 2013 :  19:34:15  Show Profile  Visit Steven Schend's Homepage Send Steven Schend a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ayrik

Bringing back Khelben seems a dangerous precedent. Sure, he was a Chosen quasi-divine sort, which could easily explain a miraculous resurrection. But, as I understand it, Mystra‘s Magisters and Chosen could only retire through permanent death, their soul essence stuff irrevocably merged into Mystra and her Weave ... bringing back a Chosen just opens the door for bookloads of cheap deaths and even cheaper lack of final deaths, it would make the legendary battles and sacrifices of these characters largely meaningless routine.

Though there does seem to be some merit in the notion of a Waterdhavian Cult of Khelben, the sincere faith of which might manifest a sort of half-amnesiac composite avatar of Khelben in times of great need.

While I like this idea more than a little, I'll say what the character(s) in my head tell me:

Vajra Safahr, the 7th Blackstaff of Waterdeep, would enter the main enclave of said cult and politely ask them to stop. "Khelben was many things and god-touched, indeed, but he was never a god, nor would he ever wish to be, no matter who might tell you otherwise."

What she doesn't say: Their prayers and tinkerings disturb the workings of Blackstaff Tower and her own powers because they syphon/leach magic/energy from the kiira fragments and mental template of Khelben still remnant therein.

If they continue, the Khelben persona will rise up, say "Desist!" and then establish a spell that rendered anyone who prayed to him as a godhead to be rendered mute for a definitive length of time. (And that's the nicest thing that'd happen....)

Steven

For current projects and general natter, see www.steveneschend.com
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2013 :  05:31:28  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Some of the following characters that I want to see given ample novel time in 5E are not necessarily "dead" but mostly have just fallen into obscurity:

Aeron Morrieth
Pharaun
Halaster
Brennus Tanthul
Rivalen Tanthul
Khelben Arunsun
Sammaster
Lallara Mediocros
Lauzoril
Nevron
The Metal Mage
Lod

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Drizztsmanchild
Learned Scribe

USA
228 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2013 :  06:29:39  Show Profile  Visit Drizztsmanchild's Homepage Send Drizztsmanchild a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If I am not mistaken, Didn't Obould become an exarch? Why would he want to return as a mortal :-)? Also I would like to read the story about Artus(Artis?) Cimber becoming an exarch.
Go to Top of Page

sfdragon
Great Reader

2285 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2013 :  06:49:10  Show Profile Send sfdragon a Private Message  Reply with Quote
How about RAvencloak??????

why is being a wizard like being a drow? both are likely to find a dagger in the back from a rival or one looking to further his own goals, fame and power

My FR fan fiction
Magister's GAmbit
http://steelfiredragon.deviantart.com/gallery/33539234
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7974 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2013 :  20:17:39  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Khelben imprinted his identity within a kiira? What a scamp, managing to dodge fate. I see opportunity for much Chosen-in-a-bottle abuse, especially without Mystra around.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7974 Posts

Posted - 16 Nov 2013 :  20:21:53  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Actually, I wonder what happened to good old Korth, low-level barbarian of small repute from ye olde FRC0 Grey Box. Quite a significant fellow in my campaigns.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000