Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Welcome to Candlekeep
 Well Met, and Welcome to the Forums
 Dark Elf in the new Thor movie
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Areader
Acolyte

USA
14 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2013 :  04:03:08  Show Profile Send Areader a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
In the new film Thor: the Dark World, there is a character named Algrim that bears a remarkable resemblance to Drizzt. His eyes are ice blue, not purple and his long white hair is worn in a braid, not free flowing but every time he was on the screen, I was struck with the thought that this character could easily be a screen-test for a Drizzt movie.

Anyone else catch this movie and draw similar comparisons?

Maybe a Hollywood executive could see this character and come to the same conclusion: Drizzt would look cool on the big screen and one of his stories would make a viable movie franchise. One can always hope.

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2013 :  04:16:41  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm going to see it tonight. I'll keep my eyes pealed for him.
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2013 :  06:51:38  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Algrim was around long before Drizzt was ever considered...as was Malekith...both were part of the Thor storyline years and years ago. They were Dark Elves before Dark Elves were cool.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 10 Nov 2013 :  07:32:52  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
1st - I' say the dark elves of the movie align more closely to "shadow elves" from old D&D than to drow. The character of Algrim in a big muscular dark elf who is turned into Kursed (also from the old Thor comics) - the actor who plays him, Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje, just happens to be a negro (of African descent, for those who don't like that word). I had no problem with this except he was the only one, kind of like he was the token black guy. Be that as it may I don't think he had much resemblance at all to traditional drow. From the very beginning (in fact, the introduction to Drow of the Underdark), Forgotten Realms drow are described as having skin the color of obsidian - not brown skin. In this regard, the character of Malekith (after his transformation) looks far more drow like.
Go to Top of Page

Ashe Ravenheart
Great Reader

USA
3240 Posts

Posted - 11 Nov 2013 :  18:29:33  Show Profile Send Ashe Ravenheart a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Masked Mage

1st - I' say the dark elves of the movie align more closely to "shadow elves" from old D&D than to drow. The character of Algrim in a big muscular dark elf who is turned into Kursed (also from the old Thor comics) - the actor who plays him, Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje, just happens to be a negro (of African descent, for those who don't like that word). I had no problem with this except he was the only one, kind of like he was the token black guy. Be that as it may I don't think he had much resemblance at all to traditional drow. From the very beginning (in fact, the introduction to Drow of the Underdark), Forgotten Realms drow are described as having skin the color of obsidian - not brown skin. In this regard, the character of Malekith (after his transformation) looks far more drow like.

I don't believe he was the "only one", just that all the other Dark Elves wore full battle masks and you couldn't see any of their face.

I actually DO know everything. I just have a very poor index of my knowledge.

Ashe's Character Sheet

Alphabetized Index of Realms NPCs
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11716 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2013 :  20:19:27  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
That being said, humans have multiple skin colors... so why wouldn't traditional folk of svartalfheim (i.e. not saying D&D dark elves should have multiple skin tones). If this guy was the last one, we do have to remember that according to the story the majority of the race has been killed off.

BTW, I picked up the big collection of Thor stories that revolved around Malekith opening the cask of winters and thereby allowing Surtr to leave Muspelheim. I know Kursed was in it, but I don't recall it ever giving his origin story. Was that maybe in a much earlier comic? I was intrigued by the Kursed transformation and whether it was made for the movie or had there been many Kursed previously.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Dalor Darden
Great Reader

USA
4211 Posts

Posted - 12 Nov 2013 :  21:34:26  Show Profile Send Dalor Darden a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I think the original Kurse was made by the Beyonder...he was unique and not truly a Dark Elf any longer.

The Old Grey Box and AD&D for me!
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2013 :  00:46:26  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree that they dark elves of Thor are more akin the the Shadow Elves. That said, I think Drizzt would proly make a popular movie character if done right (but then some may not like the similarities to Legolas).

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2013 :  03:48:10  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Much as I love Drizzt, I'd rather not have a movie about him yet. I think it would just further make the Realms more about Drizzt than anything else, overshadowing everything else about the Realms. This is by no means meant as an insult to Bob or his character. My interest in the Realms started with Drizzt, and I have continued to follow his journey, even if I haven't liked the path that journey has taken until recently. I just think a Drizzt movie would be a bit much at this point. But that's just me. I'm sure there are plenty who would love a Drizzt movie.

On dark elves in general, they are mythological creatures, just like elves and dragons, so they were around before FR.

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page

Alruane
Senior Scribe

USA
434 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2013 :  06:02:47  Show Profile Send Alruane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I would actually love for anything Forgotten Realms related to be turned into a, WELL thought out, great film! But only so much can be done and said, sometimes the lore is TOO extensive or not known enough to produce said film.

" I wonder if you are destined to be forgotten. Will your life fade in the shadow of greater beings?"
~Joneleth Irenicus

"Wisdom? My dear boy, wisdom is knowing that you do not know everything. Wisdom is realizing, a wise man ALWAYS has questions. Not answers."

~Alruane
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2013 :  06:54:14  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I agree that drizzt would be a good movie character - but it would have start where he's the lone drow... (this would be very much like Vin Deisel in the Riddick movies - the lone Furyan)I think introducing an entire race of evil dark skinned beings to hollywood would be just begging for protests and countless complaints over racism (no matter how much though went into avoiding that).
Go to Top of Page

Alruane
Senior Scribe

USA
434 Posts

Posted - 18 Nov 2013 :  07:08:30  Show Profile Send Alruane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by The Masked Mage

I agree that drizzt would be a good movie character - but it would have start where he's the lone drow... (this would be very much like Vin Deisel in the Riddick movies - the lone Furyan)I think introducing an entire race of evil dark skinned beings to hollywood would be just begging for protests and countless complaints over racism (no matter how much though went into avoiding that).

Fair point, it would be better to start with the Icewind Dale Trilogy. Introduce not only himself, but his party he travels with. An interesting mix of things, I bet many a LOTR fans (Atleast) would watch it. I definitely would!

" I wonder if you are destined to be forgotten. Will your life fade in the shadow of greater beings?"
~Joneleth Irenicus

"Wisdom? My dear boy, wisdom is knowing that you do not know everything. Wisdom is realizing, a wise man ALWAYS has questions. Not answers."

~Alruane
Go to Top of Page

Alruane
Senior Scribe

USA
434 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2013 :  06:23:02  Show Profile Send Alruane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Off topic: I still believe an Elminster film, or films, would be quite amazing. I have been wanting them to make one since I was in my teens. Although, there could be problems with this. Obviously.
But I still see potential with this project.

~Joneleth Irenicus

~Alruane
Go to Top of Page

Derulbaskul
Senior Scribe

Singapore
408 Posts

Posted - 29 Nov 2013 :  11:28:22  Show Profile Send Derulbaskul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As much as I consider RAS's later work to be akin to George Lucas's handling of the SW prequels, even I still think the Crystal Shard should be the first FR movie. Heck, Hasbro's Lego rip-off has already produced Drizzt as a character.

Of course, Hasbro and that other mob are going to have to resolve the issue of the rights first.

Cheers
D

NB: Please remember: A cannon is a big gun. Canon is what we discuss here.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000