Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 Realms Appetites
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Alisttair
Great Reader

Canada
3054 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2013 :  22:52:02  Show Profile  Visit Alisttair's Homepage Send Alisttair a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Poll Question:
I'm just wondering what everyone's appetite is for all things realmsian? Personally I am a completionist and want to own (in one form or another) and consume anything and everything that contains any sort of realmsore, be it novels, sourcebooks, video games, fan made stuff (I.e. Candlekeep Compendium), LFR adventures, general d and d books with an FR sidebar about something, FR focused podcasts, whatever. I even want to play every published adventure ever released eventually.

I would say I'm about 99% on owning and 95% on my consumption at this point. I unfortunately have to realize that I will likely never achieve the eluded 100% due to more and more FR products being "exclusive" (such as Ghosts of Dragonspear Castle). Also because some of the older video games don't work on any of my machines (Descent to Undermountain) and newer ones are too powerful for my computers (Neverwinter Nights 2).

So feel free to share your appetites as well as your consumption, would love to read about it.

Choices:

Consume Everything (even if just a passing mention of the Realms in a sourcebook)
As much as I can digest but leave some on the table
Gaming sourcebook only
Novels only
Video Games only
Home campaign only
Just an appetizer
Other (explain)

(Anonymous Vote)

Karsite Arcanar (Most Holy Servant of Karsus)

Anauria - Survivor State of Netheril as penned by me:
http://www.dmsguild.com/m/product/172023

Kentinal
Great Reader

4685 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2013 :  23:12:33  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Like all polls it can not cover all options. The novels matter less to me then other sources.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2013 :  23:55:25  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kentinal

Like all polls it can not cover all options.

Indeed. I try to consume everything, and even have a fair amount of the exclusive or hard-to-find stuff, like the "What is the Forgotten Realms, anyway?" promo, the Kidnapped module, and Ghosts of Dragonspear Castle. Not only that, but I've built an near-complete collection of the printed game material twice.

That said, there are some novels I've never bothered with, and that I don't intend to get. Most are from the 4E era, but the list also includes the Maztica trilogy. I've also not bothered with some of the comics from recent years -- some I simply missed while they were available, others I deliberately avoided.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 25 Oct 2013 23:57:07
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2013 :  00:36:12  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I used to be a Consume Everything. WOTC did that in when they bought out TSR and started making big changes. I held in their until 4th E, though I had stopped the video games when Neverwinter came out. At 4th I stopped totally - could not believe some of those choices... now I'm back hoping 5th brings brighter days. I haven't bought the Els Realms book yet - waiting for PDF version release, but am reading the Sundering novels.
Go to Top of Page

Shemmy
Senior Scribe

USA
492 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2013 :  06:45:50  Show Profile  Visit Shemmy's Homepage Send Shemmy a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Used to be everything. Haven't bought anything after 4e hit with the sole exception of one author whose novels I appreciate enough to overcome my extreme distaste for the setting changes.

Shemeska the Marauder, King of the Crosstrade; voted #1 best Arcanaloth in Sigil two hundred years running by the people who know what's best for them; chant broker; prospective Sigil council member next election; and official travel agent for Chamada Holiday specials LLC.
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2013 :  07:00:05  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I used to be a completist, but nowadays I pick and choose amongst only those FR products that interest me.

This includes most everything recent written by Ed Greenwood. Also old and new material dealing with Cormyr, and to a lesser extent material dealing with Waterdeep.

The artwork remains a big draw for me. The artwork and overall style for several 3E Realms sourcebooks and for most of 4E's core products really went down the toilet in my not so humble opinion, but there haven't been that many 4E Realms products and the artwork for such has had some bright points, like the painting at the start of "The Storm Bird" in Dragon 411.

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).

Edited by - Jeremy Grenemyer on 26 Oct 2013 07:18:07
Go to Top of Page

Drustan Dwnhaedan
Learned Scribe

USA
324 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2013 :  07:48:30  Show Profile Send Drustan Dwnhaedan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
After I joined my current gaming group, I developed an insatiable appetite for anything Realms-related. This was lessened when I began researching the Realms on-line, and discovered many characters and deities I had grown fond of had been killed off. I even refused to have anything to do with FR for a brief period of time (I realize now I was just being stupid, but at the time...) I've mellowed out over the last couple of months (largely due to joining this forum), and I'm now trying to catch up on reading (almost*) everything related to the Forgotten Realms.

* I still refuse to read the Lady Penitent trilogy. At all.

Edited by - Drustan Dwnhaedan on 26 Oct 2013 07:50:34
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11695 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2013 :  09:23:01  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
There's quite simply too much material that comes out for me to even approach consuming it all. I generally try to get all the gaming sourcebooks, some of the better modules, and probably half of the novels. However since 4e, that's dropped to a very minimal amount and novels have taken priority (I've probably bought 1/4 of the novels, but mainly the ones dealing with Order of the Griffin or Elminster or Shadowbane).

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Jorkens
Great Reader

Norway
2950 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2013 :  14:36:25  Show Profile Send Jorkens a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm not sure where I belong.

I own most of the TSR products (the WotC books are in the basement and will stay there unless someone else wants them), but I am getting more and more reactionary with the years where the Realms are concerned. As time goes I like the 1st edition books more and more and the 2nd. less (3rd + doesn't exist); even though I like reading the late 90's Realms products they just don't do anything for my imagination any more, and the only use I have for any rpg setting is for just that, gaming. I quite frankly prefer my own ideas for continuing the early products to the ones found in the published canon.

As for non rpg products; the earliest novels I will probably keep, but by the mid 90's things start going downhill.

No Canon, more stories, more Realms.
Go to Top of Page

Nicolai Withander
Master of Realmslore

Denmark
1093 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2013 :  17:55:34  Show Profile Send Nicolai Withander a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Being a university student, I simply dont have the time to "consume" as much as I would like. I do try to get most of the sourcebooks down, but novels, I have only read the elminsters series and the first Shandril and the first Avatar series book. So I'm lacking a lot there.

I also spend a lot of time on this forum and some on others to try to get new knowledge. I have to say though, that I'm realy only interested in pre-spellplague lore... so far. I dont know yet, hom I'm gonna feel about 5th.

Good post by the way!
Go to Top of Page

The Arcanamach
Master of Realmslore

1842 Posts

Posted - 26 Oct 2013 :  19:56:02  Show Profile Send The Arcanamach a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I voted 'Consume Everything' but that does not include 4e material and there are occasionally products that I choose not to buy (but very rarely).

I have a dream that one day, all game worlds will exist as one.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2013 :  08:44:02  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Other: Novels, except the ones with great focus on elves, Manshoon, dragonborn, and fighters.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 28 Oct 2013 :  12:53:01  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

Indeed. I try to consume everything, and even have a fair amount of the exclusive or hard-to-find stuff, like the "What is the Forgotten Realms, anyway?" promo, the Kidnapped module, and Ghosts of Dragonspear Castle. Not only that, but I've built an near-complete collection of the printed game material twice.

I hear you Wooly. My Realms collection was a bit ridiculous (I say was because I believe my Pathfinder collection had exceeded it now.)

quote:
Originally posted by Wooly RupertThat said, there are some novels I've never bothered with, and that I don't intend to get. Most are from the 4E era, but the list also includes the Maztica trilogy. I've also not bothered with some of the comics from recent years -- some I simply missed while they were available, others I deliberately avoided.

You and I seem to have the same taste in this regard. Never card for Maztica.

quote:
Originally posted by Drustan Dwnhaedan

After I joined my current gaming group, I developed an insatiable appetite for anything Realms-related. This was lessened when I began researching the Realms on-line, and discovered many characters and deities I had grown fond of had been killed off. I even refused to have anything to do with FR for a brief period of time (I realize now I was just being stupid, but at the time...) I've mellowed out over the last couple of months (largely due to joining this forum), and I'm now trying to catch up on reading (almost*) everything related to the Forgotten Realms.

I wish I could mellow like that.

"Evil prevails when good men fail to act."
The original and unapologetic Arilyn, Aribeth, Seoni Fanboy.

Edited by - SirUrza on 28 Oct 2013 12:53:22
Go to Top of Page

Hawkins
Great Reader

USA
2131 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2013 :  00:32:57  Show Profile  Visit Hawkins's Homepage Send Hawkins a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I have all of the 3.x era hardcover source books(minus Mysteries of Moonsea), a lot of the pre-4e novels (and a handful of post-4e novels), and all of the Bioware CRPGs from Baldur's Gate to Neverwinter 2. But as I have been involved in a full-time job for the past several years and been a father for the past two years, I find that I have a lot less free time and money to indulge in Realms-related reading/collecting.

Errant d20 Designer - My Blog (last updated January 06, 2016)

One, two! One, two! And through and through
The vorpal blade went snicker-snack!
He left it dead, and with its head
He went galumphing back. --Lewis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass

"Mmm, not the darkness," Myrin murmured. "Don't cast it there." --Erik Scott de Bie, Shadowbane

* My character sheets (PFRPG, 3.5, and AE versions; not viewable in Internet Explorer)
* Pathfinder Roleplaying Game Reference Document (PFRPG OGL Rules)
* The Hypertext d20 SRD (3.5 OGL Rules)
* 3.5 D&D Archives

My game design work:
* Heroes of the Jade Oath (PFRPG, conversion; Rite Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 1: Cantrips & Orisons (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Compendium Arcanum Volume 2: 1st-Level Spells (PFRPG, designer; d20pfsrd.com Publishing)
* Martial Arts Guidebook (forthcoming) (PFRPG, designer; Rite Publishing)
Go to Top of Page

HardKano
Learned Scribe

Canada
158 Posts

Posted - 29 Oct 2013 :  03:56:07  Show Profile  Visit HardKano's Homepage Send HardKano a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'm on a personnal mission to read all novels !! lol at 63 by now ... damn video game like LoL ... if not i would be around 80 :P

There is only one thing that will never change : Evolution
Go to Top of Page

Thauranil
Master of Realmslore

India
1591 Posts

Posted - 30 Oct 2013 :  10:49:20  Show Profile Send Thauranil a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I am mostly interested in the novels and try to buy every one I can get my hands on. But I do enjoy playing the video games as well.

Edited by - Thauranil on 30 Oct 2013 10:50:31
Go to Top of Page

Alruane
Senior Scribe

USA
434 Posts

Posted - 17 Nov 2013 :  21:56:42  Show Profile Send Alruane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
EVERYTHING is interesting in the Realms.

" I wonder if you are destined to be forgotten. Will your life fade in the shadow of greater beings?"
~Joneleth Irenicus

"Wisdom? My dear boy, wisdom is knowing that you do not know everything. Wisdom is realizing, a wise man ALWAYS has questions. Not answers."

~Alruane
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000