Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 RPG News & Releases
 Ghosts of Dragonspear Castle
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Plaguescarred
Learned Scribe

Canada
190 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2013 :  13:19:19  Show Profile Send Plaguescarred a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ghosts of Dragonspear Castle Excerpts: Adv 4 Dragonspear Castle

http://wizards.com/DnD/Article.aspx?x=dnd/4ex/ghosts4

Yan
Playtester
Go to Top of Page

Ammag
Acolyte

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2013 :  18:21:18  Show Profile Send Ammag a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well that doesn't seem to screw up my 1375 DR adventure any. Awesome.
Go to Top of Page

Lothlos
Learned Scribe

USA
111 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2013 :  20:18:07  Show Profile Send Lothlos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I really hope this comes out as a pdf or goes on sale after GenCon as I cannot afford to go this year.

The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
And I must follow, if I can,
Pursuing it with eager feet,
Until it joins some larger way
Where many paths and errands meet.
And whither then? I cannot say.
-J.R.R. Tolkien

Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2013 :  17:17:28  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
As do most of us.
quote:
Originally posted by Brian R. James

One of these days you'll be PAID for your efforts George. Here's to hoping that day comes soon.
Well, for now, he is getting paid in much fan-love.

Too bad one can't 'eat' fan-love...

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 29 Jun 2013 17:18:40
Go to Top of Page

Joebing
Learned Scribe

USA
202 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2013 :  18:54:56  Show Profile Send Joebing a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

Hmph.

If THAT is what I think it is, I already have it. At least, a VERY early draft, or something that was based-upon.

The only problem is that the original (once again, if it is what I think it is) was written to take place in the 2e era, but using 3e rules.

???

This Realmslore geek is curious...especially over something written for 2e era using 3e rules (because I have yet to pass 1372 DR).

Now plugging away on mass conversion to 5e, as well as my imprint J. Halk Games.

http://www.facebook.com/JHalkGames

First adventure on DM Guild: Lair of Elaacrimalicros
Go to Top of Page

Joebing
Learned Scribe

USA
202 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2013 :  19:28:58  Show Profile Send Joebing a Private Message  Reply with Quote
After reading the excerpts, now I am REALLY curious, considering the main plot of my current campaign involves the Red Wizards in the North and Sword Coast...wish I could get to GenCon.

Now plugging away on mass conversion to 5e, as well as my imprint J. Halk Games.

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2013 :  19:47:41  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Hoping I am not saying too much...

Imagine taking a... ummmm... subpar?.. 2e module, and realizing its true potential, and then re-writing it, and then getting carried away with by your god-given uber-creativity, and then throw in a dash of "knowing other FR experts/authors who help make it fatter"...

What you have is a so-so adventure that gets spruced-up by some of the finest FR Sages in existence (including 'The Man' himself), all the inconsistencies, 'weak spots', and lore-snafus ironed-out, marry that to a plethora of other (formerly unconnected) FR lore, and then keep chugging along until the thing is a bloated 300+ page source of shear FR wonder and goodness... with a nice series of inter-connected adventures to boot (all based upon the original module... but SO much better).

And then have a VERY lucky, thus-far unpublished fan with some minor talent for map-making create probably one of his finest works... which no-one may ever see... {sigh}

Still, I'd do it all again... I truly hope you all get to see it in some incarnation - its utterly delicious.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 29 Jun 2013 19:48:47
Go to Top of Page

Joebing
Learned Scribe

USA
202 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2013 :  19:57:00  Show Profile Send Joebing a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Hoping I am not saying too much...

Imagine taking a... ummmm... subpar?.. 2e module, and realizing its true potential, and then re-writing it, and then getting carried away with by your god-given uber-creativity, and then throw in a dash of "knowing other FR experts/authors who help make it fatter"...

What you have is a so-so adventure that gets spruced-up by some of the finest FR Sages in existence (including 'The Man' himself), all the inconsistencies, 'weak spots', and lore-snafus ironed-out, marry that to a plethora of other (formerly unconnected) FR lore, and then keep chugging along until the thing is a bloated 300+ page source of shear FR wonder and goodness... with a nice series of inter-connected adventures to boot (all based upon the original module... but SO much better).

And then have a VERY lucky, thus-far unpublished fan with some minor talent for map-making create probably one of his finest works... which no-one may ever see... {sigh}

Still, I'd do it all again... I truly hope you all get to see it in some incarnation - its utterly delicious.

AHH! Torture! But I think I can guess the sub-par module, considering some of the excerpts...think I have run that one at some point too. I'll have to watch for a copy to show up on eBay at some point or hope this GenCon exclusive gets released...when you see it, can you let us know if it is what you think it is, or is that too NDA?

Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2013 :  20:36:09  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well, George has pretty-much confirmed a connection, although my own take - that this is just to wet people's appetites for an upcoming sourcebook - is the way I think this is going. The Gencon module isn't from that, but seems based in that lore, so thats why I feel its more of a preview. Its seems to be a 'welcome to Daggerford' type of product, which is (if I guessed right) a great lead-in for the other.

And if thats any indication of the the type of material they want to do in 5e, then I think 5e FR may just be a hit after all.

Edited by - Markustay on 29 Jun 2013 20:38:09
Go to Top of Page

Joebing
Learned Scribe

USA
202 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2013 :  20:46:38  Show Profile Send Joebing a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

And if thats any indication of the the type of material they want to do in 5e, then I think 5e FR may just be a hit after all.

I've already enjoyed the Next playtest material, so it so far looks better than 4e.

Go to Top of Page

Ammag
Acolyte

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2013 :  05:49:35  Show Profile Send Ammag a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well I got my copy today and so far I like it. They put in illustrations from every edition throughout, including old AD&D MM1 monsters. Very charming.

I don't know if this is a spoiler or not:

The only map of the castle is of the inner wall and keep. I really appreciate that they didn't map out the whole thing, thus allowing DMs to still make it their own.

Just skimming it so far, but I'm digging it. Feels Realmsy. I'll give it a more thorough review when I'm done if anyone's interested.
Go to Top of Page

SirUrza
Master of Realmslore

USA
1283 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2013 :  00:11:58  Show Profile Send SirUrza a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I got mine in the mail yesterday, along with my copy of Numenara, and I like what I see so far, I'll probably run my group through this soon. It's a shame a more complete version of the D&D Next playtest didn't make it into the book though, I would have liked to have used this the same way I used the printed Pathfinder Beta or Star Wars Edge of Empire beta books.

"Evil prevails when good men fail to act."
The original and unapologetic Arilyn, Aribeth, Seoni Fanboy.

Edited by - SirUrza on 26 Aug 2013 00:15:30
Go to Top of Page

Plaguescarred
Learned Scribe

Canada
190 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2013 :  18:26:39  Show Profile Send Plaguescarred a Private Message  Reply with Quote
My copy arrived finally !! I like that it uses B&W and color art from every editions as well as D&D Next concept art. Diversity has it for all taste ! There are funny post its all over and the maps are nice too. The Daggerford area guide is well made and reminds me of AD&D supplement N1 Under Illfarn. The adventures are good, with some site based adventure and other type as well despite the storyline being a bit linear and thus railroady by moment. A BIG #ThumbsUP

Yan
Playtester
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2013 :  18:56:00  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Man, I would love to get my hands on a copy of this.

Who does it list on the credits page?

Edited by - Markustay on 06 Sep 2013 18:57:29
Go to Top of Page

Ammag
Acolyte

USA
19 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2013 :  02:07:08  Show Profile Send Ammag a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The "Daggerford and Beyond" section which fleshes out the environs says it incorporates material from Under Illefarn, The North, and Under Illefarn Anew by Eric Boyd, if that's helpful. :)
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2013 :  14:31:38  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Oh, that is helpful! Thanks so much!

Glad at least some of this saw the light of day, and here's hoping the rest comes out in a Paizo-style Adventure Path.

Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 22 Nov 2013 :  09:28:05  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Picked up a copy for a ridiculous cost. Was happy to see it was so thick...then disappointed to see that half of it was a D&D Next rulebook and a sheaf of BLANK autograph pages. Such is the price of obsession I suppose.

Then a friend of mine tells me that somebody uploaded it to the internet...

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/

Edited by - hashimashadoo on 22 Nov 2013 09:30:09
Go to Top of Page

Derulbaskul
Senior Scribe

Singapore
408 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2013 :  12:16:27  Show Profile Send Derulbaskul a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Man, I would love to get my hands on a copy of this.

Who does it list on the credits page?

It lists Jeremy Crawford and Chris Perkins as project leads but each adventure also includes two or three specific authors. More importantly, in the section of Daggerford it states: "This section incorporates material from Under Illefarn (1987) by Steve Perrin, The North (1996) by slade et al, and Under Illefarn Anew (unpublished) by Eric Boyd.

Cheers
D

NB: Please remember: A cannon is a big gun. Canon is what we discuss here.
Go to Top of Page

Plaguescarred
Learned Scribe

Canada
190 Posts

Posted - 23 Nov 2013 :  23:59:05  Show Profile Send Plaguescarred a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I wonder what was Under Illfarn Anew supposed to be and when was it suppose to be published? Or is it a future release?

I imagine it's/was a updated version of the original N5 supplement. Anyone has a clue?

Yan
Playtester

Edited by - Plaguescarred on 24 Nov 2013 00:00:29
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2013 :  02:28:21  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I had thought it was going to be a special release at Gencon 2013 (but I suppose it was still too soon - Eric Boyd was still tweaking it throughout the con.)

Then I thought it may have seen the light of day at this year's Gencon, and I guess it did, but not how I expected. Hopefully we will still get to see that work in all its glory someday. The history section alone would be worth the cover price.

They'll probably get a better map artist for the published product, though, which is fine by me. I'd love to see a Mike Shley map of the Daggerford/Waterdeep environs.

Go to Top of Page

Plaguescarred
Learned Scribe

Canada
190 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2013 :  07:13:23  Show Profile Send Plaguescarred a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I got in touch with WoTC Greg Blisland who confirmed it was an unreleased product from older days;

@Plaguescarred GoDC incorporate material from Under Illefarn Anew (unpublished) by Eric Boyd Was it unreleased during 3E or a future release?
@gregbilsland Unreleased.

Yan
Playtester
Go to Top of Page

Alruane
Senior Scribe

USA
434 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2013 :  07:34:38  Show Profile Send Alruane a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Interesting.

" I wonder if you are destined to be forgotten. Will your life fade in the shadow of greater beings?"
~Joneleth Irenicus

"Wisdom? My dear boy, wisdom is knowing that you do not know everything. Wisdom is realizing, a wise man ALWAYS has questions. Not answers."

~Alruane
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6648 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2013 :  08:17:21  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I don't think I'm telling secrets out of school when I let you know that a couple of months ago, because his kids had shown an interest in D&D, Eric decided to run them through "Under Illefarn". Of course, being Eric, he couldn't run it as is, but fleshed it out significantly. Very significantly. Markustay helped him out with some revamped maps, and I gave him a ton of history and backstory (more lineages did I hear you say?) and he gave WotC a look during some Sundering discussions. They clearly have taken some of it for this project.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Plaguescarred
Learned Scribe

Canada
190 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2013 :  08:57:01  Show Profile Send Plaguescarred a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Thanks George for sharing the secrets!

Yan
Playtester
Go to Top of Page

Plaguescarred
Learned Scribe

Canada
190 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2013 :  09:04:22  Show Profile Send Plaguescarred a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MarkustayI'd love to see a Mike Shley map of the Daggerford/Waterdeep environs.

I posted Mike's Daggerford maps here (its small though)

http://community.wizards.com/comment/49778991#comment-49778991

Yan
Playtester
Go to Top of Page

hashimashadoo
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1150 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2013 :  12:26:34  Show Profile  Visit hashimashadoo's Homepage Send hashimashadoo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Plaguescarred, can you confirm what you posted on the WotC boards about Ghosts being released publicly in December? I'm gonna kick myself if you can.

When life turns it's back on you...sneak attack for extra damage.

Head admin of the FR wiki:

https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/
Go to Top of Page

Marco Volo
Learned Scribe

France
201 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2013 :  13:33:50  Show Profile Send Marco Volo a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hashimashadoo

Plaguescarred, can you confirm what you posted on the WotC boards about Ghosts being released publicly in December?

Oh yes ! Can you confirm this please ?

Edited by - Marco Volo on 24 Nov 2013 13:37:21
Go to Top of Page

Markustay

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2013 :  14:35:48  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
To add to what Krash said, there is also quite a bit of unreleased 'Ed Lore' in there as well, including (finally!) some details about Orlumbor. I never understood why no one questioned the extra locales I including in my Map of the North. Like I said - its all canon, because anything ED SAYS IS CANON.

Of course, the unreleased map had MUCH more...

So we are talking about an Eric Boyd 'labor of love', and he received help and 'extra bits' from such notables as EG and GK. Like I said - WELL WORTH the cover price, just for that. I am hoping they are saving the 'meat' of this unreleased product as a regional sourcebook come 5e - its jaw-drooping good. Just about everyone who got a look at it at Gencon 2013 was blown away. Pretty-much what we've been begging for for quite some time.

quote:
Originally posted by Plaguescarred

quote:
Originally posted by MarkustayI'd love to see a Mike Shley map of the Daggerford/Waterdeep environs.

I posted Mike's Daggerford maps here (its small though)

Daggerford product Maps
I can't tell at that scale - how did he handle the river/moat? It makes no-sense on earlier maps, and my art wasn't good enough to convey what Eric wanted. I'd love to see how MS handled that dilemma.

As for the other map - mine went a tad bit further south and east, but that looks perfect. Its kind of a dream come true, allowing me to do the initial geography layout for something Mr. Schley put his master's touch to.

Too bad I couldn't get a copy - I'd love to compare the two closer up. Still, I am a happy camper.

One last thing - was there a 'map key' to the city/town of Daggerford itself? What sort of numbering/lettering system was used for that? Just curious (an NO, I am NOT looking for 'ammunition' for anything - I will state right now that EVERYTHING I did for Eric Boyd is OWNED by Eric Boyd, and he can do whatever he wants with it, including sell/give it to WotC!) I claim no rights to any of it.

Had to get that disclaimer out of the way...

Edited by - Markustay on 24 Nov 2013 14:37:39
Go to Top of Page

Plaguescarred
Learned Scribe

Canada
190 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2013 :  22:37:10  Show Profile Send Plaguescarred a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd love to see maps you did if possible!

I will check when i get home what key it use but IIRC it use numbering. I'm pretty quite sure the maps are based on the one contained in N5 Under Illfarn, which had both a regional map and a city map, the regional one had less notable sites on it though.

http://i285.photobucket.com/albums/ll43/Drohem/Daggerford/Daggerford_101.jpg
http://cdn.obsidianportal.com/assets/174348/Daggerford5.jpg

Yan
Playtester

Edited by - Plaguescarred on 24 Nov 2013 22:54:47
Go to Top of Page

Plaguescarred
Learned Scribe

Canada
190 Posts

Posted - 24 Nov 2013 :  22:47:41  Show Profile Send Plaguescarred a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by hashimashadoo

Plaguescarred, can you confirm what you posted on the WotC boards about Ghosts being released publicly in December? I'm gonna kick myself if you can.
I confirm that WoTC Greg Blisland has announced during the Extra Life Marathon 25 Hours of Dungeons & Dragons Event that Ghost of Dragonspear Castle will be available on PDF at dndclassics.com as of December. You can find replay of the event here;

http://fr.twitch.tv/wotc_dnd/b/475999116
http://fr.twitch.tv/wotc_dnd/b/476016137

Yan
Playtester
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page