Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 why called forgotten realms?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

silverwolfer
Senior Scribe

789 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2013 :  02:00:00  Show Profile Send silverwolfer a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
It seems mention in some 2e paper backs, why would you refer to where you live add forgotten

Kentinal
Great Reader

4684 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2013 :  03:23:42  Show Profile Send Kentinal a Private Message  Reply with Quote
You know what realm you live in, however at a time of discord other realms were forgotten - some gone forever some rediscovered. There also in Ed's answers, IIRC, the reason the name was chosen. It might even be in the FAQ that I have not looked at recently.

"Small beings can have small wisdom," the dragon said. "And small wise beings are better than small fools. Listen: Wisdom is caring for afterwards."
"Caring for afterwards ...? Ker repeated this without understanding.
"After action, afterwards," the dragon said. "Choose the afterwards first, then the action. Fools choose action first."
"Judgement" copyright 2003 by Elizabeth Moon
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2013 :  03:24:15  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The reference is from our point-of-view.

There once many, many (more) connections between 'The Realms' and Earth, and other worlds as well, but those 'magical pathways' are now mostly Forgotten.

Thus, many of our RW myths presumably began as stories related by folks who traveled between the worlds (vampires, werewolves, dragons, and so many other monsters and fey creatures).

In-game, people from the continent of Faerűn usually just refer to it as 'The Realms'; the forgotten part is for our benefit.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

silverwolfer
Senior Scribe

789 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2013 :  04:29:46  Show Profile Send silverwolfer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Well I have seen it in a few old books though, to a recent dramatic point of Ironhelm, where a mercenary was talking to a maztican , and they interacted where the woman said they called it the one true world, and the mercenary said they called home the forgotten realms.
Go to Top of Page

Dennis
Great Reader

9933 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2013 :  09:46:52  Show Profile Send Dennis a Private Message  Reply with Quote

Where one lives used to be a “forgotten” place. Really, it’s just a matter of word choice. It’s either “forgotten” or “rediscovered,” depending, as MT put it, on one’s POV.

Every beginning has an end.
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2013 :  14:15:38  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
If a character in-setting referred to it as "The Forgotten Realms", then I would say that was a mistake. The Realms are only 'forgotten' to us, the people of Earth (and presumably other worlds as well).

In fact, most common folk simply refer to their region, like 'The North', or 'The Swordcoast', and more learned personages might say 'Faerűn' when referring to the entire continent, but only those with a broader interest would say 'The Realms', and not even Elminster would call them "The Forgotten Realms", even though - in story - he is mostly responsible for OUR knowledge of them, and therefor the term.

Just like the folks of "Returned Abeir" would NOT have referred to it thus... a fact I had to bring to their attention after the 4e CG came out. Amazing that none of the professional team had ever even thought of that.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 24 Apr 2013 14:17:08
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2013 :  14:56:40  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
yeah, I see Elminster as one of the few folks who might refer to it as the "forgotten" realms, and that only if he were relating information to US or Ed (as a means to stress to US that there is so much more to the world that we've forgotten). I see the people referring to the world as Toril, their continent as Faerun, and they may use the same terms for the regions as we do (for instance, "The Old Empires", "The Shining South", and "The Unapproachable East") followed by country, city, or nicknames for their locale.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

BEAST
Master of Realmslore

USA
1714 Posts

Posted - 24 Apr 2013 :  18:22:57  Show Profile  Visit BEAST's Homepage Send BEAST a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
I have always treated the Realms as a "real place" which I am viewing and reporting on rather than a deliberate creation, and I believe that has been the key to making it live.

The "Forgotten Realms" derive their name from the fictitious fact upon which play in my campaign is based: that a multiverse exists, of countless parallel co-existing Prime Material Planes (including the world presented herein, our own modern "Earth," and any other fantasy settings a DM may wish to incorporate in play), all related to the Known Planes of Existence presented in the AD&D system. Travel betwixt these planes was once far more common than is the case now (when few know the means of reaching other worlds, or even believe in the existence of such fanciful places); hence, the Realms have been "forgotten" by beings of Earth. Our legends of dragons, vampires, and of other fearsome creatures and magic are due to this formerly widespread contact between the worlds; most have of course become confused and distorted with the passage of time and many retellings.

--Ed Greenwood (FRCS, 1E, "DM's Sourcebook of the Realms": p.4:"Introductions")

"'You don't know my history,' he said dryly."
--Drizzt Do'Urden (The Pirate King, Part 1: Chapter 2)

<"Comprehensive Chronology of R.A. Salvatore Forgotten Realms Works">

Edited by - BEAST on 24 Apr 2013 18:25:22
Go to Top of Page

Chosen of Asmodeus
Master of Realmslore

1221 Posts

Posted - 25 Apr 2013 :  14:21:34  Show Profile  Visit Chosen of Asmodeus's Homepage Send Chosen of Asmodeus a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I've always considered actual instances of characters in FR fiction referring to their world as either the Realms or the Forgotten Realms as poor writing or a failure in research on the part of the author. Was one of the things that annoyed me so much about the Avatar Trilogy.

"Then I saw there was a way to Hell even from the gates of Heaven"
- John Bunyan, Pilgrim's Progress

Fatum Iustum Stultorum. Righteous is the destiny of fools.

The Roleplayer's Gazebo;
http://theroleplayersgazebo.yuku.com/directory#.Ub4hvvlJOAY
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000