Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Forgotten Realms Journals
 General Forgotten Realms Chat
 No divine magic during time of troubles? Druids?
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ozreth
Learned Scribe

187 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2013 :  05:29:13  Show Profile  Visit Ozreth's Homepage Send Ozreth a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
So divine magic ceased to be available to clerics following the Time of Troubles, but I have only read about clerics, what about Druids?

TBeholder
Great Reader

2384 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2013 :  08:28:09  Show Profile Send TBeholder a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Under the laws of Ao, druids can work only via gods, just like all other users of divine magic. Thus, there's no reason why ToT would affect them differently.

People never wonder How the world goes round -Helloween
And even I make no pretense Of having more than common sense -R.W.Wood
It's not good, Eric. It's a gazebo. -Ed Whitchurch
Go to Top of Page

Ozreth
Learned Scribe

187 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2013 :  09:16:12  Show Profile  Visit Ozreth's Homepage Send Ozreth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TBeholder

Under the laws of Ao, druids can work only via gods, just like all other users of divine magic. Thus, there's no reason why ToT would affect them differently.

Hm, makes sense. So, as far as game mechanics go...what's a druid and/or cleric to do? Just hang out and be as careful as possible?
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11696 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2013 :  17:25:18  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Ozreth

quote:

Hm, makes sense. So, as far as game mechanics go...what's a druid and/or cleric to do? Just hang out and be as careful as possible?

Go find their god in the world and be able to cast within X miles of his personage. If you're using 3rd edition rules with it, it might be a prime time for a cleric to multi-class into a non-divine casting class (or take levels in a prestige class that maybe misses the first level of divine casting but opens up some nice abilities). I can see a lot of "battle-priests" coming out after the ToT (since magic was also somewhat screwed for wizards as well).

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Kilvan
Senior Scribe

Canada
894 Posts

Posted - 22 Mar 2013 :  19:21:13  Show Profile Send Kilvan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
A paladin probably lost all his divine powers too. Divine characters were screwed during the ToT, but at least they were safe from their powers, unlike arcane spellcaster fool enough to continue casting.
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2013 :  01:48:55  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Indeed. And, as I recall, druid spells are still divine spells [as per the 3e FRCS] and thus must come from a deity of nature or animals. They're accessed through the Weave...

Not really sure how it all works in 4e, though. And the sourcebook that deals directly with the subject of druid magic in 4e is still, unfortunately, sitting in one of my many stacks of unread sourcebooks.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Gyor
Master of Realmslore

1621 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2013 :  03:00:18  Show Profile Send Gyor a Private Message  Reply with Quote
In 4e Druids, Wardens (what 5e is now nick named the Green Knight aka nature Paladin), Seeker, Barbarians, Shamans, and some Bards are all Primal magic users. Most Bards are Arcane magic users, justa few powers were Primal.

As to weather Primal Magic worked during the TOTs it was pre spellplague so the Goddess of Magic I guess kept the two, Primal and Divine, combined, so Primal hadn't splintered off yet, so it would have functioned the same for Druids and other Primal Casters as Divine. Possible exception Barbarians, most of which didn't use Primal Magic yet.
Go to Top of Page

Lilianviaten
Senior Scribe

489 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2013 :  06:05:22  Show Profile Send Lilianviaten a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Proof of the superiority of psionics, my friends.
Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4429 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2013 :  07:49:00  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kilvan

A paladin probably lost all his divine powers too. Divine characters were screwed during the ToT, but at least they were safe from their powers, unlike arcane spellcaster fool enough to continue casting.

the Paladin probably lost all of his spell casting abilities and maybe turn undead but things like Divine Grace, Lay in Hands, Smite, aura of courage would've remained unchanged. Paladin's adhere more to their code and the conviction in their purpose, thus the source for their power. All the Forgotten Realms require is a patron deity.

Edited by - Diffan on 23 Mar 2013 07:50:29
Go to Top of Page

silverwolfer
Senior Scribe

789 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2013 :  21:24:56  Show Profile Send silverwolfer a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Beep wrong, you can also get them from Fey sources, which are not gods, but can still grant powers ((much like demons and devil lords can )). They could also get powers, because they draw from some sort of regional strength, like a fey pool of water, or some really old Trent granting then knowledge of how to draw from around them.

Unlike a cleric which declares a god and all that, a druid need not to.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 23 Mar 2013 :  23:53:39  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by silverwolfer

quote:

Beep wrong, you can also get them from Fey sources, which are not gods, but can still grant powers ((much like demons and devil lords can )). They could also get powers, because they draw from some sort of regional strength, like a fey pool of water, or some really old Trent granting then knowledge of how to draw from around them.

That may be the case in Core, but in the Realms, all divine magic comes from divine beings.

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2013 :  00:53:17  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by silverwolfer

quote:

As I noted earlier, the Realms has had a long tradition of ensuring that all magic in the Realms -- whether divine or arcane -- must come from deities through the Weave.

Go to Top of Page

Diffan
Great Reader

USA
4429 Posts

Posted - 24 Mar 2013 :  01:37:20  Show Profile Send Diffan a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I'd think that while all a cleric's spellcasting would be eliminated, their Domain featurs and Turning Uses might still function. They're more power of themselves rather than derived from special (and direct) connection to their deity.

Druids would also lose their spellcasting but their other features like Animal Companion, Wild Shape, Trackless Step, Resist Nature's Lure, Immunities, etc. would all still function perfectly fine.

Edited by - Diffan on 24 Mar 2013 01:38:50
Go to Top of Page

Ozreth
Learned Scribe

187 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2013 :  02:50:29  Show Profile  Visit Ozreth's Homepage Send Ozreth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Ok, thanks everybody! On a similar note, there is a monk in the party who is seeking enlightenment. He tries to learn about as many differnet gods as possible and gain some insight from them. How would the ToT affect him? How possible would it be for him to seek out the mortal forms of these Gods and learn from them? Would it be a more accesible route to knowledge for him? Would they even acknowledge him? How does all this work?
Go to Top of Page

Bakra
Senior Scribe

628 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2013 :  13:42:06  Show Profile Send Bakra a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Ok, thanks everybody! On a similar note, there is a monk in the party who is seeking enlightenment. He tries to learn about as many differnet gods as possible and gain some insight from them. How would the ToT affect him? How possible would it be for him to seek out the mortal forms of these Gods and learn from them? Would it be a more accesible route to knowledge for him? Would they even acknowledge him? How does all this work?

How it would affect him would be up to the player. It would be possible to seek them out if he does a little detective work.
“The main temple for so-so is here, rumors say a fireball the size of a mountain fell there, an extremely powerful being has suddenly appeared, divine magic seems to be stable in this village, etc…etc..”
Would a deity acknowledge him would depend on their personality. Chances are they would see the monk as a potential worshiper, or possible ally to their faith, or a future threat. Also, tutelage isn’t free and the monk may be required to do a small favor. Again this would depend on the deity , Illmater may not ask for a favor while lliira may ask for a waltz. How much he could learn from them can range from a lot to nothing at all. Heck, even a brief conversation could set him ahead by a few years…well spiritually speaking of course. I recommend asking the player which divine being they are interested in then decide if it is even possible. Then read up on that particular deity. Then make it up.

I hope Candlekeep continues to be the friendly forum of fellow Realms-lovers that it has always been, as we all go through this together. If you don’t want to move to the “new” Realms, that doesn’t mean there’s anything wrong with either you or the “old” Realms. Goodness knows Candlekeep, and the hearts of its scribes, are both big enough to accommodate both. If we want them to be.
(Strikes dramatic pose, raises sword to gleam in the sunset, and hopes breeches won’t fall down.)
Enough for now. The Realms lives! I have spoken! Ale and light wines half price, served by a smiling Storm Silverhand fetchingly clad in thigh-high boots and naught else! Ahem . .
So saith Ed. <snip>
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2013 :  14:13:59  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

Some deities would be more reachable than others, some because of their nature and of where they appeared in the Material Plane, others because of their followers. Have you read the Avatar trilogy? There, Torm is somewhat isolated from the world around him by his clergy, for example. There is a document somewhere that says where each deity was at the event. I think this seek can be a wonderful excuse to a big adventure, even a campaign.

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

Ozreth
Learned Scribe

187 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2013 :  16:40:24  Show Profile  Visit Ozreth's Homepage Send Ozreth a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Barastir
Some deities would be more reachable than others, some because of their nature and of where they appeared in the Material Plane, others because of their followers. Have you read the Avatar trilogy? There, Torm is somewhat isolated from the world around him by his clergy, for example. There is a document somewhere that says where each deity was at the event. I think this seek can be a wonderful excuse to a big adventure, even a campaign.

I NEED THAT DOCUMENT!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2013 :  17:14:29  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

There is a document somewhere that says where each deity was at the event. I think this seek can be a wonderful excuse to a big adventure, even a campaign.

I have the link to where that page used to be... But of course Wizards has shuffled around their site 17,562.7 times since then, and they rarely bother with such minor things as updating links. So Lurue only knows where that content is, now...

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2013 :  17:18:20  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I NEED THAT DOCUMENT!

Send me a PM with your email address. I've got that file copied to Word, and I can send you that. It'll be very late tonight before I can get it to you, though.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2013 :  01:53:50  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

I NEED THAT DOCUMENT!

I'm pretty sure I asked Alaundo to include this on the main site proper... since it's a query that tends to pop up here every so often.

I'll have to check into that.

Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2013 :  03:28:24  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And though my search-fu was not up to the task of figuring out where the WotC web admins buried that info, I did another search and found where someone had copied the content to their own site: http://www.nj-pbem.com/data/Gods/GodswarDetails.htm

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000