Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Sages of Realmslore
 Alaundo
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2013 :  00:04:23  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote  Delete Topic
Anyone know where the internet got the dates for the birth/death of Alaundo? Only date I can find is his arrival at Candlekeep.

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2013 :  00:55:15  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Alaundo's Prophecies (in Alaundo's Library, found at Candlekeep).

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

The Masked Mage
Great Reader

USA
2420 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2013 :  01:11:44  Show Profile Send The Masked Mage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Anything not from online?
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2013 :  01:22:03  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Not much. FR Wiki cites a few sourcebooks. Most of the other online information is actually compiled from snippets by Ed and other (former) FR authors/designers ... not logo-branded officially published canon, but not far off either.

In any event, Alaundo's biography (such as it is) has remained intact for a long time, it seems unlikely it's going to be contradicted by future canon.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2013 :  02:14:25  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message  Reply with Quote
And I *think* they may have come from Steven Schend.

Don't quote me on that yet, though, until I've had a chance to check my archives.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2013 :  04:31:46  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I though for sure I'd find it in the GHotR, but no dice.

Odd, that - it even states there was an air of mystery about his past (and obviously his demise).

IIRC, Alaundo's bones (or maybe just his skull) is somewhere around the Shilmista Forest region. I can't recall where I read that (or how accurate it is), but there was something about it somewhere (and I also remember something about Illithids wanting his skull). I don't know if that lore (wherever it is from) would even mention his death, but at least if he has a skeleton in canon, we know he did indeed die.

Ah, Okay - I found a thread that lead me to the info.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 27 Jan 2013 04:36:27
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 27 Jan 2013 :  04:38:27  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I thought Alaundo's remains would be within his private quarters, the "Do Not Disturb" sign on his door-knocker having been respectfully observed by Candlekeep's monks over many centuries. It would offer an explanation for the otherworldly Candlekeep Site Update scrolls which mysteriously appear under his door every few months or so.

[/Ayrik]

Edited by - Ayrik on 27 Jan 2013 04:39:54
Go to Top of Page

Asharak
Learned Scribe

France
267 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2017 :  14:36:53  Show Profile Send Asharak a Private Message  Reply with Quote
The Lalya Maurshanta by Georges Krashos gives new dates:

"Alaundo settled on the shores of the modern-day Sword Coast sometime around the Year of Scriveners (-264 DR)
Alaundo the Seer lived a long and simple life at Candlekeep until the day he disappeared from his spartan cell in the Year of Lost Messengers (-116 DR)."

"Soyez réalistes : demandez l'impossible"

Sorry for my English... it's not my native tongue.
Go to Top of Page

sleyvas
Skilled Spell Strategist

USA
11686 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2017 :  17:43:43  Show Profile Send sleyvas a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Looking at the old thread that Markustay put out.... do we have anything even remotely concerning dates that Azuth entrapped Savras?

BTW, I just got a lovely idea that I need to think through based on this entrapment and release just prior to the spellplague from the Powers and Pantheon entry of Savras based on two entries

"Ever since Savras's loss, sages have speculated that the All-Seeing One must have foreseen his own defeat. If this is true, perhaps Savras planned his own defeat as a feint in a long-term ploy for victory. Only he can say, and he refuses to speak on it".

"The two contended during or slightly after the Dawn Cataclysm, and Savras fell".

Just loving that his imprisonment was possibly during the Dawn Cataclysm... which is also when I feel that Amauanator was heavily on the wane and Lathander was on the surge.

Alavairthae, may your skill prevail

Phillip aka Sleyvas
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 08 Jan 2017 :  18:45:33  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message  Reply with Quote
I actually hear Alaundo is alive and well and hosting a website somewhere...

He does rather well for a guy with no head.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 08 Jan 2017 18:45:47
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2020 :  22:49:13  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Learned Scribe Asharak,

*A mari usque ad nubes, ad coronam de solio. Ex sanguine autem arbor, a cute ad os. Lignum vitae, in quo es, ut feed radices e terra in mari longe. Praecipiens ortu rami e caelo, nunc veni, ut mors eius mendacium*

Now that that resurrection spell has been cast...

Is that able to be referenced somewhere specifically? I just looked in the GHotR and there are indications of Alaundo, concretely, being c. 75 DR. Now, he could have lived a *very* long time (there are magics for that kind of stuff), but I haven't found anything that shows him to be of such an extraorindary age (again, not to say it isn't possible of course).

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page

cpthero2
Great Reader

USA
2285 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2020 :  22:53:16  Show Profile  Visit cpthero2's Homepage Send cpthero2 a Private Message  Reply with Quote
Explorer Markustay,

I believe you may be correct good sir!

You are not far off at all, as the Shilmista Forest is not far from the Deepwash, and according to the DDGttUD, p.86, it says:

quote:
The Skull of Alaundo, a priceless relic venerated not only by the avowed monks of Candlekeep but by the faithful of Deneir, Oghma, and Savras, is said to have been recovered from a fire drake lair in the Deepwing Mountains and offered for sale in the markets of Llorbauth. As commonly happens following rumored sightings, illithid activity along the southern shores of the Deepwash has sharply increased.

Best regards,

Higher Atlar
Spirit Soaring
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  New Poll New Poll
 Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000