Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2013)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 37

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2013 :  13:07:33  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message
Haha, oops, my dumb. Question withdrawn.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Rivenhelm
Acolyte

32 Posts

Posted - 11 Jan 2013 :  18:53:11  Show Profile Send Rivenhelm a Private Message
Pass along my gratitude on the way-marker lore Ed provided. Above and beyond as usual! From you both. Thanks!!

Note to self: must remember to refresh the browser. Page 4 really snuck up on me.

R
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2013 :  17:01:31  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

Hi again, all.
Rivenhelm, Ed tells me:

Tyrluk's way-symbol is a side-on horsehead with a plaited mane (bound into a border, not flowing free) and a flat bottom across the base of the neck

Excellent, many thanks for these, really really useful pieces of lore

Cheers

Damian

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2013 :  18:52:57  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
First, a less-complicated question inspired by my new paste-together FR map (of the trail maps).

Is there anything special/different about the Sapphires of the Crystal Grot (that would 'set them apart' in some fashion then sapphires from elsewhere)? Perhaps not something physically noticeable... just some little factoid about the sheer quantity, perhaps.

I feel an 'NDA' coming on for that one. So lets try another, way more complicated question: What are the 'limits' of the deities portfolios in regards to things 'outside' of Realmspace?

For instance, Oghma should have access to 'all knowledge' (not being somehow obscured by deities by use of their own portfolios), but what about knowledge of other Crystal Spheres? Would Oghma be completely ignorant of things happening on, lets say, Oerth (GH)? For instance, I picture a vast library where his scribes (devout followrs in their afterlife) record every little thing as it pertains to Realmspace. Suppose one of them was recording information about Graz'zt (and lets pretend this is done like a Wiki entry) - would he even be able to write down Iuz's name under 'relationships? Is this sort of info only accessible to oghma if someone - ANYONE - within Realmspace has access to it? (and given the nature of the Forgotten Realms, that would in a sense make Realms deities somewhat more powerful then most).

And not just Oghma - that was just an easy example to make (because thats the line of thought that inspired this question). If someone from Krynn, etc, dies on Toril, does Kelemvor judge them, or does he just send them on to where they are supposed to go (or does that happen automatically, without any input from any Torillian power)? Can Cyric walk up to Asmodeus and ask him about Golarion, or would Cyric be unable to even comprehend another world (since he is definitely a one-world god). In other words, would a deity's knowledge of another plane/world somehow undermine the portfolio's of deities from that realm? Could Oghma somehow acquire more knowledge of another world then a deity from that world?

Or is ANY facet of these other worlds simply obscured from them?

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Edited by - Markustay on 12 Jan 2013 18:56:10
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2013 :  19:06:03  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message
One of the FR novels (Tymora's Luck, I think) provides a canon example of Oghma (er, perhaps it was Milil) exerting divine power on a crowd of people in Sigil. Basically, they were scrying on gods as idle entertainment, this Realms god detected their scrying attempt and decided to provide an hypnotic bardic performance which effectively held them enthralled while he began to implant suggestions. It's arguable whether this was a demonstration of divine or arcane power (and if so, if this somehow bypassed the Lady of Pain's regard) or if it was just a perfect bardic performance/manipulation delivered by the god of bards.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Jakuta Khan
Senior Scribe

496 Posts

Posted - 13 Jan 2013 :  09:43:15  Show Profile Send Jakuta Khan a Private Message
Hi THO Hi Ed!

First:
Today I am wondering if there is any kind of ritual challenge two rival leaders in the hobgoblin tribal system can put forth to eventually usurp the other leaders tribe/clan/warband, or become leader of their tribe/clan/warband themselves?
Eventually the tribal council has to agree to the challenge?

Second:
On Holorarar, I have red statements in dwarves deep that the Hobgoblins there have a quite stable kingdom, and then again ( Underdark 3.5) it says there are dozens of tribes, each with thousands of warriors warring for domination.

Can you share some more info about the size and population level of the cavern system talked about, economy and movers and shakers? DID they support the sithilisians? And do they have contacts to the tribes in the gorge of the fallen idol?
- Probably all heavy NDA's but still

As always, any bit of information is much appreciated.

Yours, the greenskin lover ;)
Jakuta Khan
Go to Top of Page

Auragongal
Acolyte

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2013 :  16:28:01  Show Profile Send Auragongal a Private Message
Alright, I have a question about abilities.

In my head, I have a rogue who was born with the ability to actually see things normally hidden without the use of a True Seeing spell, and interact with them as well. For me, these include creatures that are normally in the astral plane, whether they have to be summoned from an object, or just freshly dead and on their way to crossing over. For the character I thought up, one of the things he constantly sees and interacts with is a blue spirit phoenix that's been helping him out as a rogue by showing him where to go, where traps are hidden, and where the target for theft is.

What I'm wondering about is if something like this is actually possible in the Forgotten Realms?

The clouds have many stories to tell if you look at them close enough, some you already know, but some have yet to be written.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 14 Jan 2013 :  19:42:47  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Auragongal, this is certainly possible in the Realms, because Ed has had several NPCs over the years (that we players know of), and some PCs that various people have played with Ed as DM, who have "wild talents" similar to the rogue you describe.
So sure, it's possible, it's something Ed goes in for, and it's certainly something that "fits" with, and works within, the Realms.
(Of course, some DMs may not want them in Realms games they're running, but that's a different matter.)
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Infamous
Acolyte

42 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2013 :  08:19:43  Show Profile Send Infamous a Private Message
Hi there!

Milady THO, I have a question regarding what Ed had in mind when he created a few characters. Somewhere, I read that Larloch was created so that there would be an uber-evil in the Realms, something to make even the most powerful wary of shadows and manipulation. This really helped me understand Larloch and his place in the grand scheme of things.

(It's funny how that works. Tolkien once said he created Saruman just to have someone imprision Gandalf, so that the hobbits would actually be in danger.)

So, small folk are created to give flavor to the Realms; they are the ones who really matter, the ones who make the place seem alive. They are the reason why we care. But the big shots are more likely to exist to fulfill a certain role, or to be an archetype of sorts.

I believe Ed has explained why Elminster was created, and what is his role. What about Ioulaum, and the Srinshee, and any other he cares to name?

I realize this is a little bit of a behind the curtains question. Maybe I could offer another question: does the deepest understanding of the Weave always lie with the greatest spell casters? Are the two synonymous?

Thank you!
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 15 Jan 2013 :  18:48:55  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Infamous

Hi there!

Milady THO, I have a question regarding what Ed had in mind when he created a few characters. Somewhere, I read that Larloch was created so that there would be an uber-evil in the Realms, something to make even the most powerful wary of shadows and manipulation. This really helped me understand Larloch and his place in the grand scheme of things.

Ed's quotes from the Realms-L re Larloch can be found here

http://web.archive.org/web/20021121003441/http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Castle/2566/ed-larloch.htm

Cheers

Damian

Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2013 :  03:21:52  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message
Can't seem to make those two links work, Damian. But luckily I remember what Ed said about Larloch back on the Realms-L, which is what AJA was referencing. Geez, that was in the late 90's ...

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2013 :  03:34:26  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by George Krashos

Can't seem to make those two links work, Damian. But luckily I remember what Ed said about Larloch back on the Realms-L, which is what AJA was referencing. Geez, that was in the late 90's ...

-- George Krashos

It's just the one link, using the Internet's Wayback Machine. You need to copy and paste the entire link into your browser's address bar.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Ayrik
Great Reader

Canada
7966 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2013 :  04:16:17  Show Profile Send Ayrik a Private Message
A solution to "double urls" is discussed here, but only Sage or Alaundo could implement it.

[/Ayrik]
Go to Top of Page

Knight of the Gate
Senior Scribe

USA
624 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2013 :  04:57:02  Show Profile Send Knight of the Gate a Private Message
Well-met Ed and the ever-helpful THO: It's been some time since I've posted a question, and while running my new, low-level game in Luruar, I ran across a pair of questions that I was hoping one or both of you might weigh in on.
1) what is the status of nobility in Silverymoon? Beyond the High Mage (whomever that may be at the time), I've never hear of a Silvaren referred to as 'Lord' or 'Lady'. If there is any sort of peerage, can we perhaps have a bit of lore on a selection thereof?

2) if a noble (or high ranking personage- let's say Methrammar or Jorus) were to want to entertain guests in a lavish style (not for the decadence of the thing, but as 'cover' for a meeting that would otherwise raise eyebrows'), what sort of food would be on offer? I want to really 'wow' the players with exotic delicacies and local favorites alike; or (if, somehow, a guy whos's constantly writing/collaborating/editing an endless roster of great work while maintaining a country household and holding down a day job doesn't have time to submit a 7-course meal with wine pairings) at the least, what kind of infredients would be used? What meats/cheeses/ sauces, etc are likely to make an appearance in a lavish dinner in the North?

I want to also (since it has been too long) thank the both of you again for the stellar service you do us scribes in this scroll... Everytime I read it over, I'm awed by your generosity.

How can life be so bountiful, providing such sublime rewards for mediocrity? -Umberto Ecco
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2013 :  17:38:58  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message
Hi Ed! I'd say I hope you aren't drowning in writing projects, but we all know that's too much to ask, so instead I will merely say that I hope your new year is going well. And same to you, THO (I hope you added "No get shot" to your list of resolutions... ;) )

Anyway, I had a quick question about Alusair: what was it that made her run away from home and disappear? We know from lots of sources that she enjoyed sneaking out whenver she could, and that she wanted to become an adventurer. We also know that she's essentially a female version of her father, so I'm guessing it was a fight with him that did it. But I was curious what the real reason was that she ran off and left for good, and didn't come back until years later, after her father's Crusade.

Thanks as always.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

Hoondatha
Great Reader

USA
2449 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2013 :  20:05:48  Show Profile  Visit Hoondatha's Homepage Send Hoondatha a Private Message
A second question, this one for THO: Can you give us a Knights-eye view of Lashan's rise and fall, and Lyran's attack on the Dale? Did you play those out? I know we've covered Lashan a bit here on the board, and maybe a little of Lyran, but I'm curious what it looked like from your (the Knights as a whole) level. When did you first hear about them, how long did it become clear it was a threat, how big a role did you play in their defeat? Was Lashan around in Realmsplay for a long time before Ed sprung the threat on you, or did he rise faster?

Thanks as always for feeding our curiosity.

Doggedly converting 3e back to what D&D should be...
Sigh... And now 4e as well.
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2013 :  20:27:04  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message
quote:

-- George Krashos

interesting, the linky is not working as it should?

yes you are right it is late 90's and as I remember it like yesterday that makes me old too!!

anyhoo to clarify.....

Larloch is a onetime Netherese sorcerer (still possessed of a lot of Netherese scepters, which he knows how to make) who is now a quite insane "ultra-lich" (in this case, the term means he has many unknown powers which are up to you the DM, among them the fact that he can still learn and develop new spells, increase in levels, etc.). He's probably a 46th level evil-aligned wizard right now, and he crafted many of his own undead abilities prior to undeath, which argues that he found his own 'process' for achieving lichdom.
Larloch is served by many (60+ ?) liches, formerly archwizards, whom he guides in concert, as the leader of a telepathic-web 'Overmind.' Thus far, neither psionics nor mind-influencing magics have ever been effective against him or any of his serviotr mages, because the others in the link can withstand and overcome such influences, causing them to fail.
In theory, an attack could reach all of them through the link, but some quite powerful Red Wizards have tried and failed (Szass Tam didn't try such an attack, which may be why he survived...he remains fearful of approaching Larloch and his mages, but fascinated by the details of their lichdom, hoping it might yield him some powers.)
One of Larloch's given-to-himself powers (which - in a long, involved, and secret, personally-developed process - cost him 10 years of life and some vitality, irrelevant of course given his goal of lichdom) is automatic spell reflection (of all magic cast upon him). He can by act of will override this ability, for example when he wants to work a spell on himself; otherwise, it always operates.
Mystra (Midnight's predecessor as the goddess) is said to have allowed Larloch to acquire powers approaching those of "old Netheril" in return for 'leaking' spells to persistent adventurers he or his minions might come into contact with, but this may be no more than rumour spread by the Zhents or Red Wizards or Dragon Cultists, designed to lure adventurers into Larloch-weakening forays...
As for Larloch knowing the identities and locations of other liches/Netherese survivors...no, only the one's he's destroyed. Larloch is too self-centered to hunt down folks who don't come within his easy reach. He controls plenty of archwizards/liches already, but may decide to try to either control or destroy a new one when they come into contact. He seems to be pursuing other goals, however. Which ones? That's up to each DM....."
Larloch and his lich minions have no interest in attracting attention that would waste their time and magical resources (and perhaps, if word got around how dangerous they were, even threaten their existence in the face of a concerted attack from various magical power groups working together). Larloch is not interested in ruling Faerun...but he IS interested in creating and controlling a series of magical gates linking many worlds (parallel Prime Material Planes) and Outer Planes...and so rigging their enchantments that anyone using them comes under his control/faces his forceful removal of their magic items, information from their mind, and so forth. The gates are easy for him to create (he licked all of those problems long ago). The control enchantments have been giving him troubles for thousands of years now, and as an obsessive perfectionist, he isn't going to let this rest until he gets everything just so...nor is he going to create the gates until he's ready to put the controls on them.

In short, he's a munchkin only if played that way. All Player Characters have to learn sometime that there are folks in the Realms just too powerful to tangle with.

I'm reminded of the original Realms campaign, and the Company of Crazed Venturers attacking Shaan the Serpent-Queen (who briefly appeared in a Wizards Three DRAGON article). She was busy working magic on a small island off Mintarn. They attacked, broke her concentration, and she looked up with an irritated frown. They bid her stop, or they'd destroy what she was working on; to demonstrate, one of the Company mages touched (and disintegrated) a stone he was standing beside.

She shook her head in derision, and touched the island beneath them, disintegrating IT, and dumping the Company into the chilly sea waves for a long swim...whilst she turned back to her spellcasting, floating on nothing and ignoring them once more.

A heavy-handed lesson, but...well, Larloch's in the same league, and more. Just consider him a power of the Realms and Don't Go There.

shudder,
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Infamous
Acolyte

42 Posts

Posted - 16 Jan 2013 :  21:05:39  Show Profile Send Infamous a Private Message
Thank you, Crazedventurers and Damian. I appreciate the information on Larloch and consider him a fascinating villain, mostly because he is not a villain per se.

But I would like to follow the guidelines The Sage just reminded us, about how this scroll is not about Larloch. I believe I need to reword my question, for clarity's sake:

Common folk are tremendously fascinating because they are like us. They breathe, they wear socks with holes in them, they enjoy beer. But the mightiest characters are part of the setting, they are like mountains and seas on a map. They are there to shape the Realms; they exist for a reason. So Ed explained that Larloch was created to be a force "in the Realms just too powerful to tangle with," and someone even the mightiest will know to "Not Go There." We know Elminster is a benevolent, crazed and all-too-knowledgeable host and guide to the players as they explore Realms. What is the purpose, the raison d'être of the Srinshee, or Ioulaum, or the Terraseer? My question is motivated by more than curiosity: it is about how Ed suggests that we would use those characters in our campaigns, lest we see them as lifeless stacks of gaming stats.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2013 :  01:07:18  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by crazedventurers

quote:

-- George Krashos

interesting, the linky is not working as it should?
As I said earlier, I think Krash forgot to consider that it was a link for the Wayback Machine. So cutting and pasting of the link into one's address bar -- rather than just clicking onto it -- was a requirement for accessing the page.

Go to Top of Page

Khonger
Acolyte

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2013 :  14:11:56  Show Profile Send Khonger a Private Message
Hello!
I'm new to Candlekeep, but not so new to the Realms.

I have a quick linguistic question:
Are there any ties between Manshoon (his name specifically) and the Shoon Imperium/Shoonach/Shoon Dynasty? Or is the linguistic similarity in these names a coincidence?

Khong!
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2013 :  15:07:29  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
Ed will likely have more, but I'll address this based on what George Krashos has told us in past discussions on this topic.
quote:
Originally posted by Khonger

Hello!

Are there any ties between Manshoon (his name specifically) and the Shoon Imperium/Shoonach/Shoon Dynasty? Or is the linguistic similarity in these names a coincidence?

Krash once told us that "Manshoon's family was originally from those parts, but Manshoon's personal history is almost purely Moonsea. What he did after he became Manshoon of the Zhentarim, well I'm guessing he may have visited the ancestral home ... in Shoonach ... once or twice. He certainly had a spell cache there as I understand and "Cloak & Dagger" alludes to him getting stuff from there after the clones ran amok."

Personally, I think some tend to place a little too much emphasis on the "Shoon" component of Manshoon. I'm not saying Manshoon would ignore his Shoonach heritage, but at the same time, he's very much a self-made man [mage].

Manshoon rose to his position of power because of his being Manshoon. Not because he's relied on his heritage. He's forged his might, his power, and his position solely through his own initiative. I don't discount the possibility that he's probably borrowed from his Shoon heritage at one time or another, but I suspect he would never totally rely on just that to establish himself. It would be too much of a target for his MANY enemies to exploit. And I think everything we've learned about him -- either through Ed or his detailing in various sources -- confirms that.

Go to Top of Page

Khonger
Acolyte

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2013 :  15:41:50  Show Profile Send Khonger a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

Ed will likely have more, but I'll address this based on what George Krashos has told us in past discussions on this topic.
quote:
Originally posted by Khonger

Hello!

Krash once told us that "Manshoon's family was originally from those parts, but Manshoon's personal history is almost purely Moonsea. What he did after he became Manshoon of the Zhentarim, well I'm guessing he may have visited the ancestral home ... in Shoonach ... once or twice. He certainly had a spell cache there as I understand and "Cloak & Dagger" alludes to him getting stuff from there after the clones ran amok."

Personally, I think some tend to place a little too much emphasis on the "Shoon" component of Manshoon. I'm not saying Manshoon would ignore his Shoonach heritage, but at the same time, he's very much a self-made man [mage].

Manshoon rose to his position of power because of his being Manshoon. Not because he's relied on his heritage. He's forged his might, his power, and his position solely through his own initiative. I don't discount the possibility that he's probably borrowed from his Shoon heritage at one time or another, but I suspect he would never totally rely on just that to establish himself. It would be too much of a target for his MANY enemies to exploit. And I think everything we've learned about him -- either through Ed or his detailing in various sources -- confirms that.

Interesting. I agree with your points on Manshoon's not relying on any "ancestral greatness" in his power.

As a student of language and words, I was mostly just interested from a purely "scholarly perspective" on any linguistic roots. Not necessarily in the "Shoon" element of the name revealing anything about the character.

Good stuff. I love this world.

Khong!
Go to Top of Page

George Krashos
Master of Realmslore

Australia
6643 Posts

Posted - 17 Jan 2013 :  22:29:15  Show Profile Send George Krashos a Private Message
Ed's explanation on the linguistic roots of the "-shoon" name is on page 9 of my thread in the Chamber of Sages.

-- George Krashos

"Because only we, contrary to the barbarians, never count the enemy in battle." -- Aeschylus
Go to Top of Page

Khonger
Acolyte

USA
16 Posts

Posted - 18 Jan 2013 :  00:28:31  Show Profile Send Khonger a Private Message
quote:

Ed's explanation on the linguistic roots of the "-shoon" name is on page 9 of my thread in the Chamber of Sages.

-- George Krashos

Why does Manshoon desire his relatives' deaths? Are they a threat to him?

Khong!
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2013 :  04:03:48  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, everyone. I bring you the latest Edlore!
Back on January 4th, BlackAce posted: “My considerably better half, (yes, she IS watching me type- Ow!) is currently planning a Downton Abbey style PBEM of the Raventree family of Waterdeep, circa 1368. She'd love to know more about the family, especially Galinda's relationship to and with Nandos and Sarakh and who their most prominent servants are if that's at all possible to share.
Thanks and best wishes to you both.”

Ed begins his response to BlackAce (and his considerably better half!) “back to front,” as it were, with coverage of the most prominent Raventree servants, circa 1368 DR. They are nine in number:

• Redleigh Ambrynrald (steward: head of household purchasing and security, and stables)
• Tloster Maerimmon (head of house guards)
• Baerelve Storn (bodyguard)
• Albrus “Old Knight” Khlendryn (stablemaster)
• Braelyn Lindlorn (factor: traveling trade agent)
• Shelaerra Blundfeather (chatelaine: head of cooks and maids)
• Bardretha Gullwind (mistress of kitchens: head cook)
• Vesmra Andalakh (personal maid/dresser to Galinda)
• Gahladar Dreth (house shipwright)

Redleigh Ambrynrald is a raven-haired, immaculate man with a goatee, daggerboard sideburns, and a receding hairline he tries to conceal by oiling his hair and combing it over his forehead. He is exacting, but avoids being prissy by using disapproving glares and silent pointing rather than tirades. He’s by no means mute, but among the household staff never uses five words when four will do; for example, should he enter a room that is to be readied for a guest and finds its fire unlit or too small, so the room is cold, he will ring for a servant [in Raventowers, the “bells” are actually old wooden shields hung on a wall in the servants’ dining room/ready room, that are struck by wooden mallets when bellpulls rooms away are pulled, so rather than a ringing or a gong sound, what results is inaudible two rooms away from the ready room, and a hollow “thlock” within that range] or say to the servant already at hand: “Fire.” (or “Fires.”) Then add, “warmer” or “much warmer” or “warmer, the night through” or “warmer until X bells.” Then he will either turn on his heel and depart, or point wordlessly at some smaller flaw or fault, such as a chair out of place, and leave.
Ambrynrald can be quite eloquent when addressing Raventrees, guests, or wider Waterdeep when out on family business. He merely detests noisy households where the staff gossip loudly, call to each other, or—horrors!—sing or hum at their work.
Ambrynrald is fair to the household servants under him, scrupulously honest with Raventree coin, and if he has any hobbies, no one knows about them (in truth, he pens lurid chapbooks of lusty romance set in a fantastical version of Waterdeep in which all noblewomen yearn for the embraces of their older male servants, hiding these behind paneling in Raventowers and arranging for their printing when he’s out on family business; they are quite popular and earn him fair coin). He maintains social distance from the household servants, has served as the trusted confidant of Lord Nandos Raventree for decades, and keeps himself well aware of everything going on in Raventowers, especially servant romances and dealings with outsiders that might lead to thefts or worse from the household. He is respected by both the Raventrees and the staff under him. As Lord Nandos once said, “If he has a fault, we have not found it.”

Tloster Maerimmon is a burly, large-headed and even larger-handed man who shaves his head and chin, but has bristling eyebrows and vertical-stripe (from temple to jaw) sideburns. He is never unarmed and seldom out of armor; when he must wear “mere cloth” he puts on gleaming metal forearm bracers and wears a thick leather cummerbund-style “stomacher” to give his gut some protection against daggers. He’s not paranoid, but merely thinks a competent man in his profession should always be ready (for trouble). As a result, if he’s awake, he’s alert and observant, always looking for trouble brewing or weaknesses that might allow intruders into Raventowers; he’s the sort of a man who “marks” (notices and remembers) all the exits when he walks into a tavern.
Maerimmon can be quite menacing, but this is an act; he long ago discovered how much he could manipulate folk with this manner, without actually having to do or say anything regrettable. His official title is “Master of Sword,” and he is responsible for training, discipline, and deployment of the twelve house guards (he’s the thirteenth, and there’s also a young novice being trained to guard duty, Arlan Trallows, son of one of the maids, who serves as Tloster’s errand- and message-runner, and “keeps the steel honed and oiled”).
Tloster has been dubbed “Helmhead” by some other nobles because of his shaved head, but he keeps the contempt he feels for those who belittle others well hidden. A professional house guard does his work eagerly and diligently, keeps his mouth shut, and betrays nothing that can be used against him; his opinions and feelings are his own, not to be shown to anyone with eyes.
Tloster is unambitious and steadfastly loyal to Lord Nandos Raventree, and after him, the other Raventrees in order of seniority (Lady Perryn over Surakh, and Surakh over Galinda). He regards it as his duty to root out any disloyalty among the house guards or the servants—and personally train or scare it out of the guards under his command.
Tloster’s hobbies are watching dramatic plays of all sorts, and keeping up with all developments in arms and armor. His weaknesses are sweets and strong cheeses. He has a firm rule for himself that he will never indulge in the slightest romance or lust within Raventowers or with anyone of Raventowers, but on his rare days off—when Baerelve Storn takes over command of the guard—he has been known to visit several coin-lasses in swift succession (and tries to patronize favourites until they become old friends).

Baerelve Storn is a swift, silent, watchful man, always laden with concealed weapons and expecting trouble. The personal bodyguard of Lord Nandos Raventree, he is often assigned by Nandos to guard other members of the family when they are outside the gates of Raventowers. Storn (no one uses his first name, not even its owner) has a pointed, outthrust chin, and a nose to match; in profile, he looks like an open-beaked bird of prey, and was dubbed “the Raven of the Raventrees” by a noble years ago. He is a master swordsman and streetfighter, who practices catching hurled daggers and who often gives himself small doses of dozens of poisons, so as to build up his resistance to them over time. He has memorized the layout of the sewers beneath Raventowers and the streets immediately around it, as well as the mansion itself, and in his off hours often practices dashing about Raventowers or its walled grounds blindfolded or carrying a dummy weighted to be as heavy as Lord Nandos—or both.
Storn is the sort of fighter who anticipates trouble and prepares for it, and never stops anticipating, even in the midst of a fight. He will unhesitatingly do what is best to ensure the survival of whichever Raventree(s) he’s currently protecting, regardless of personal cost. He seems to have no pride or dignity, nor to know fear (attempts to intimidate him are among the few things he finds funny).
Storn has no hobbies, submerging himself in fanatical devotion to his job, but in his youth he bred and trained horses, and takes pleasure in long or fast rides when he gets the chance. He scares most of the younger women in Raventowers, but Shelaerra Blundfeather and Bardretha Gullwind have both secretly sought him out as a lover, and go to him when they get the chance—which isn’t often, as Storn is rarely off duty (officially, Tloster Maerimmon spells him in shifts for all guardianship inside Raventowers, but in practice Storn prefers to do it all himself, seeing Tloster as a well-meaning administrator who’s a fair fighting man but “not enough” to protect the Raventrees as “they should be protected.”

. . . and that's all Ed has sent me thus far. He promises more "fairly soon." Which I suspect means in a day or two, because shifts at his day job are interrupting his lore writing.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2013 :  05:02:08  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Infamous

Ed wrote some time ago:

Being as this is Candlekeep, I can do no more than point you to what a Harper PC (not one of the Knights) uncovered when asking a monk of Candlekeep to research Qilue's destiny. The monk was of course limited to finding prophecies and other written histories, and reported thus: one seer saw a dream wherein Qilue wielded a sword forged of her own blood, and was hailed by knights as "the Godslayer."
However, another seer (the monk declined to identify either of his sources, BTW) said "the dark one who serves two goddesses but leads the dance for only one shall be mother to a new race, and change the face of the Realms forever."
Either way, it seems Qilue's future bids fair to be interesting.

Did this new race die stillborn, prey to editorial hazards?

I'm sorry if this question has already been answered for you. I guess I didn't subscribe to the newest Questions for Ed, but I saw your question and had to comment. Have you read Lady Penitent? That might answer some of your questions in regards to Qilue and the dark elves (it also raises other questions, however).

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page

Infamous
Acolyte

42 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2013 :  05:26:21  Show Profile Send Infamous a Private Message
My question was indeed answered, CorellonsDevout, but I appreciate the book suggestion! I actually heard that Lady Penitent, however heartbreaking, is good.
Go to Top of Page

CorellonsDevout
Great Reader

USA
2708 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2013 :  05:48:11  Show Profile Send CorellonsDevout a Private Message
I'll try to keep the side chatter here to a minimum, but yes, LP is good, though heartbreaking, and some claim there were issues with it. Unfortunately, IMO, it sounds like there isn't going to be a follow-up, something I think there should be. I could go on about this, but if you're curious about the dark elves, I recommend LP :)

Sweet water and light laughter
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2013 :  16:04:19  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hello again, fellow scribes.
Ed's rushing to put a roast in the oven before he leaves for his library shift (yes, the man cooks), but had time enough to send me one more of the Raventree servants, for BlackAce:

Albrus “Old Knight” Khlendryn is an elderly, kindly, sharp-witted man who has in the past been a hiresword, member of the City Guard of Waterdeep, horsebreeder, horse trainer, and sailor (some say pirate, but his nautical career was so brief that most—correctly—take this claim as wild rumor). A badly-broken leg ended his days in the saddle, and Lord Nandos Raventree took him on as a groom, where his competence and courtly manners earned him eventual promotion to stablemaster, and the immediate nickname of “Old Knight” because his treatment of noble guests had many of them thinking he was a gallant knight in earlier days.
Albrus loves horses, Lord Nandos, the rest of the Raventrees, and whittling balls-within-chains and other little toys and thumb-coffers (tiny boxes, often used to hold jewelry, that are about as long as a man’s thumb, or thereabouts). Where some smoke or hum or whistle as they work and in moments of waiting, Albrus whittles—and gives away the results to anyone in Raventowers who’s interested (there’s a growing fad among noblewomen who socialize with the Raventrees to “have an Albrus” to house one of their most prized pieces of jewelry).
Albrus is a contented man who feels he’s lived a good, full life; his ambitions are to keep the Raventree stables, horses, and coaches in superb condition, cleanliness, readiness, and order. He brews small beer for the servants, trades some of his whittling for apples for the horses (the apple barrel in a corner of the stables often functions as a message- and item-drop for the Raventree servants, as they have a plausible reason—wanting an apple—to go there), and spends the rest of the time working. He needs little sleep, is a light sleeper awakened by any entry into the stables by night (he sleeps in a stall or the hayloft), and only leaves Raventowers on rare occasions (to shop or seek the companionship of a few longtime female friends of his age).

So saith Ed, sharing Realmslore when he can. (He's been working on Zandilar's followup queries, too, he tells me, and some of ChosenofAsmodeus's questions.)
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2013 :  23:01:06  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

So saith Ed. Who will get to the rest of your questions, xaeyruudh, when he can, later on in this new year.
love,
THO

Sorry, I seem to have never replied to this. Thank you both very much, and I'm glad to see that treants have some natural defenses.

I have another query, which is (naturally!) totally unrelated.

What are the names of the Ice Lakes shown on a few maps north of Luskan and west of the Black Raven river? Curiosity struck, and I (and more notably Markus) don't see them named anywhere.

Many thanks!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 37 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000