Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2013)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 37

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2013 :  22:48:17  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
Well, there was that time, at half-past ten, when the humidity was rising and the barometer getting low, that it started raining men.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

Kris the Grey
Senior Scribe

USA
422 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2013 :  23:51:12  Show Profile Send Kris the Grey a Private Message
Wooly,

According to my sources on that incident, I believe the street was the place to go... Lol.

Ed/THO,

A quick(ish) question. I seem to recall some comment by Ed at last year's Gen Con keynote of the proper accents to use when simulating assorted regional variations of common in the Realms (or at least on the Sword Coast/in Cormyr). Was that ever printed somewhere? And, if it wasn't what 'Earth English' regional accents are the 'most accurate' to use when simulating common in places like: 1) Waterdeep (and its environs), 2) Cormyr (in the area near Eveningstar), 3) Silverymoon and 4) the general Sunset Vale area (near Berdusk and Iriaebor)?

Kris the Grey - Member in Good Standing of the Watchful Order of Magists and Protectors, the Arcane Guild of Silverymoon, and the Connecticut Bar Association
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2013 :  03:36:25  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Bionic Man

2. Do most rangers in the Realms belong to a specific order, or are there numerous ones? If there are many, do they respect each others status?
I think Ed's briefly tackled this one before. So while you're waiting for a more detailed response, you might wish to search the "So Saith Ed" archives.

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

Marco Volo
Learned Scribe

France
201 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2013 :  09:40:46  Show Profile Send Marco Volo a Private Message
Hi everybody !
Can Ed share with us some information about Amry and Telpir, two little Dragon coast settlements that we know not much about ?
No doubt he has some great things for us all about these
Merci beaucoup
MV
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2013 :  15:27:44  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
I think they got smooshed in 4e. IIRC correctly, at least one of them was referred to as 'haunted'.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2013 :  16:17:01  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all. Ed just sent me a heads-up that the Thule Kickstarter he's involved in is getting down to the wire, so he wanted any gamers who may not have noticed it but might be interested in such a setting to check it out . . .

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/809579963/primeval-thule

. . . thanks!
More Realms replies from the Old Sage when he can snatch the seconds to pound them out.
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

paladinnicolas
Seeker

92 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2013 :  23:56:20  Show Profile Send paladinnicolas a Private Message
Dear THO, I would like Ed or you to answer if in Lantan (or anywhere else) transports such as trains or other technologically advanced transports have been invented. Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2013 :  19:18:58  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Hello all, Ed in your realms or in your minds eye I'm just curious as to when was last "sighting" of a Tarrasque in the realms? It would seem from canon info that it has been thousands of years unless I missed something and with all the manners of upheavals that have occurred I would think something would stir one of these creatures.

My other thought is that the "forces that be" have found ways to shunt or drive them through portals or onto other planes or just put them in stasis. Am I close?
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2013 :  19:55:32  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by createvmind

Hello all, Ed in your realms or in your minds eye I'm just curious as to when was last "sighting" of a Tarrasque in the realms? It would seem from canon info that it has been thousands of years unless I missed something and with all the manners of upheavals that have occurred I would think something would stir one of these creatures.

My other thought is that the "forces that be" have found ways to shunt or drive them through portals or onto other planes or just put them in stasis. Am I close?

There was one in the Forgotten Realms comic series, in the Dragonreach Saga arc (5-8, I believe). I don't remember the in-setting date, but Scothgar Amcathra was born to Mourngrym and Shaerl during that arc. I think it was around 1357, shortly before the ToT.

Go to Top of Page

lordsknight185
Seeker

USA
99 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2013 :  00:00:21  Show Profile Send lordsknight185 a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Wooly Rupert

quote:

There was one in the Forgotten Realms comic series, in the Dragonreach Saga arc (5-8, I believe). I don't remember the in-setting date, but Scothgar Amcathra was born to Mourngrym and Shaerl during that arc. I think it was around 1357, shortly before the ToT.

1357 indeed, as that comic took place before, during, and after the Time of Troubles. And to my understanding, the comic is completely canon.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2013 :  00:07:56  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by lordsknight185

quote:

quote:

1357 indeed, as that comic took place before, during, and after the Time of Troubles. And to my understanding, the comic is completely canon.

I believe it was Steven Schend who said TSR considered the comics to be canon, and many things (events, characters, critters, etc) from the comics have made their way into source material and novels.

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2013 :  03:22:45  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by paladinnicolas

Dear THO, I would like Ed or you to answer if in Lantan (or anywhere else) transports such as trains or other technologically advanced transports have been invented. Thanks!

I can probably take a shot at answering this one, using a previous reply from Ed on the subject.
quote:
So Saith Ed 2004:-

... "steam engines (monstrous "rolling-beam" stationary types, akin to those found in Cornish tin mines and elsewhere AND tiny 'using a fire one builds in a bowl' sorts) are in common use all over Lantan, but remain "dangerous" curiosities elsewhere (although many Faerunians know about harnessing the hot gas from a fire collected through a hood-and-pipe apparatus). As several posters have mentioned, Gond rules such pursuits, and copious prayers to him will be a part of any steam-work. What the Realms DOESN'T yet have is reliable steam propulsion (locomotives, that is -- although miners'-sweatwork and donkey- or mule-drawn mining railways, with little 'tip' ore cars, ARE used here and there, and are known to all dwarves and gnomes). Distillation and other simple steam-related procedures are widely known if not widely understood."

Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2013 :  03:23:51  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by lordsknight185

quote:

quote:

I believe it was Steven Schend who said TSR considered the comics to be canon, and many things (events, characters, critters, etc) from the comics have made their way into source material and novels.

From Steven himself:-

"As the guy who used to be the liaison and approvals guy for TSR and the AD&D comic with Kim Yale (may she rest in peace) at DC, I can say unequivocally that the events and characters are all canonical.

Steven
who also led the charge to move the characters into the game material as well..."

Go to Top of Page

silverwolfer
Senior Scribe

789 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2013 :  05:30:34  Show Profile Send silverwolfer a Private Message
Dear Wise One

What happens to the followers of gods that sort of don't mesh within certain followers.

Elistree had half-orc worshipers , which would obviously not mesh well for the elves pantheon.

When Mask got absorbed, did those that were in his afterlife , enter shars domain?

ooo one last bit, one big gap in story lore, what happened to the elves that Elistree saved from Lloth, did they just start new communities and faced no challenges; beyond what the average eleven community would face?

Go to Top of Page

Caladan Brood
Senior Scribe

Norway
410 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2013 :  11:02:20  Show Profile  Visit Caladan Brood's Homepage Send Caladan Brood a Private Message
Dear Ed,
I was on a beach the other day during my summer travels and found myself staring at a tree-covered cliff that ran like a ridge from the waterside and into the landscape from east to west. It reminded me of the escarpment/cliffs north of Eveningstar, which according to the source material runs from the High Horns in the west almost to Arabel in the east.

I was wondering if this rise in the landscape, this plateau if you will, has a name; how tall is it, is it generally the same height all the way, how did it come to be (in the case of the one I watched it had something do with glacial melting, an information board told me)?

I took a picture of the place so you can see for yourself;

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y13/Slynt/RPGs/IMG_9334_zps67b88b1e.jpg

is this how you'd envision the escarpment running into northern Cormyr? With trees and stuff, or is it bare?
Best regards

Go to Top of Page

paladinnicolas
Seeker

92 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2013 :  13:15:11  Show Profile Send paladinnicolas a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Sage

I can probably take a shot at answering this one, using a previous reply from Ed on the subject."

Thanks Sage!
Go to Top of Page

dravenloft
Acolyte

USA
35 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2013 :  18:03:03  Show Profile  Visit dravenloft's Homepage Send dravenloft a Private Message
I could swear I've asked this before, but I can't even find the question, let alone the answer so I'm going to assume I only dreamt the asking.

In Cormyr (I forget the date, 1e grey box era as I recall and after the events of the Knights of Myth Dranor trilogy)
1) how or even does it affect anything if the heir of a noble family were to become a cleric?
2) if said heiress and cleric took it into her head to join a chartered adventuring band?

And if I HAVE asked this and got answered, if Sage's search-fu is better than mine I'd be quite grateful for the relevant link back to it

Space Opera, Planetary Romance, Speculative Fiction and similar by me.
check it out at http://universal-nexus.com
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2013 :  00:25:41  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Caladan Brood, here's Ed:

Yes, that photo captures the escarpment (known locally in Eveningstar and thereabouts as "the Rampart" or "Stormcliff" [because in some areas storms blow over the Stonelands and then "spill over" the edge of this cliff, which marks the edge of the Stonelands) almost perfectly.
I say "almost" because there are places (on the east side of the cleft/stream valley leading up to the Haunted Halls from Eveningstar, for instance) where farm fields, or rather pastures, with "fences" of stones piled into tall-man-shoulder-height walls, have been cleared and used. They look more like the parts of the English coast (e.g. along some of the white cliffs of Dover, though the Rampart looks like your photo or what I modeled it on, the Niagara Escarpment in Ontario, Canada, NOT like white chalk cliffs) where farmland runs right up to the drop-off cliff edge.
Hope this is of help.

So saith Ed. Who in his youth climbed many of the cliffs, and explored many of the caves, of that escarpment, particularly near Rattlesnake Point (which by coincidence looks quite like your photo, Calaban Brood).
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Caladan Brood
Senior Scribe

Norway
410 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2013 :  17:04:53  Show Profile  Visit Caladan Brood's Homepage Send Caladan Brood a Private Message
Wow that was fast thanks THO and Ed :-)
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2013 :  18:34:09  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message
Yay I came up with an actual yes/no question!

Is Bluestone ("a small village near the Frozen Forest" from whence Sharra Frohm embarked on her quest into the Great Glacier to write volume 2 of Blood and Ice, mentioned on p73 of FR14) part of Ed's Realms?

I'm theorizing about its location in another thread; just wanted to see if it's already been decided.
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2013 :  05:04:44  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
After reading the quite intriguing "Moondark Mystery" article, I have two quick queries...

Are there any currently living elves of the Moondark family? Not necessarily any of the original bunch; I'm more interested if the family line remains or if it died out or was absorbed or renamed.

And if yes, where do the modern Moondarks live?

I'm guessing the name is no longer around, but I really like it...

Edited by - Wooly Rupert on 02 Aug 2013 05:05:14
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2013 :  05:23:20  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
Greetings Ed,

I've Yet Another Realmslore Query that I would like to add to the existing stack of pre-existing queries for you...

I was just reading an article on recent new discoveries of effigy mounds in the US. Simply put, I'm wondering about effigy mounds in your Realms, and other similar geoglyphs. Do they feature in your campaigns? Can you provide a few examples? What, if any, are the myth/legends surrounding these ancient structures? And, the most important part I'm interested in learning more about... Do any of these effigy mounds play a part in strange local cultist and/or mortuary rites?

Much appreciation in advance, for both you and the Lady Hooded One.

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2013 :  18:27:46  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Proper Realmslore replies will have to come from Ed, of course, but to Wooly I can say: Yes, there are still Moondarks around.

And to The Sage: yes, there are effigy mounds in the Realms. In play, we came across mounds in the eastern Sword Coast North (near the edge of Anauroch), in Tunland, and near the Spiderhaunt Wood, and heard of some south of Starmantle (i.e. up in the foothills) and outside the Great Dale, near its eastern end, as well as near Veldorn.

To xaeyruudh, I can say: Bluestone is part of Ed's Realms, but as for exact locale, that'll have to come from him.

To silverwolfer, re. this: "Eilistraee had half-orc worshippers, which would obviously not mesh well with the elven pantheon." I suspect Ed is going to give you the "It depends" answer. As in, it will differ from individual to individual, place to place, time to time, and situation to situation. Remember that ALL sentient mortals believe in ALL of the gods; only a small percentage (usually priests and paladins, or "crazies") repudiate all deities save one, or venerate all deities save one. To think of half-orcs or anyone else just worshipping Eilistraee is to not see things as they are in the Realms. But of course Ed will answer more fully and properly.

love to all,
THO

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2013 :  18:44:06  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
... And I'm back.
xaeyruudh, Ed tells me he has read that other thread, and says Markustay has the location of Bluestone correct, at that crossroads.
He also says the dotted lines are indeed roads. Ancient, elevated [as in, on embankments that rise up from the surrounding landscape, giving high-vantage views and a "lee slope" that travelers can camp on]; I don't mean they're like bridges, up on piers], stone roads from now-gone civilizations, so the current conditions (the flind inhabiting Mount Gathluntar, the glaciers where they are, the beast-men [ogres] of Thar flourishing and then dwindling again, and so on) indeed "don't fit" with these grand - - and sparsely used, but very useful for moving heavily-laden carts of crudely-smelted mined metals - - "roads to nowhere").
So there you have it.
love,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 02 Aug 2013 18:46:10
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2013 :  21:04:36  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message
Cool, thank you both very much!

I'm guessing Gharreil would be among those ancient civilizations? If I'm reading the maps right, it should be at the bottom of the crevasse just east of Ahtitlak... unless it's a smaller nearby unnamed/unmarked crevasse.

(Edit: actually, that crevasse doesn't really line up right, and with the Gharreil article using the 3e mutilation of the map, I'm way out on a limb anyway.

Also, is it Gathluntar instead of Ghaethluntar?

Edited by - xaeyruudh on 02 Aug 2013 21:07:34
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2013 :  02:52:52  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Heh. xaeyruudh, "Ghaethluntar" is indeed correct (Ed created and named that feature, back in 1968, I think), but its 'pet name' amongst some of his players is "Gathluntar" because a certain hapless PC much given to grand pronouncements invariably followed by stupid decisions and pratfalls, named Gathlun Ghaeltabbar, died there - - in spectacularly silly fashion.
As for Gharreil...we'll have to wait for Ed to opine.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

xaeyruudh
Master of Realmslore

USA
1853 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2013 :  04:22:34  Show Profile  Visit xaeyruudh's Homepage Send xaeyruudh a Private Message
Goodness gracious, that seems like a lot of G's in one post.

In any case, with a name like GG, he was destined for grand things.
Go to Top of Page

Marco Volo
Learned Scribe

France
201 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2013 :  09:29:53  Show Profile Send Marco Volo a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Marco Volo

Hi everybody !
Can Ed share with us some information about Amry and Telpir, two little Dragon coast settlements that we know not much about ?
No doubt he has some great things for us all about these
Merci beaucoup
MV

quote:
Originally posted by Markustay

I think they got smooshed in 4e. IIRC correctly, at least one of them was referred to as 'haunted'.

Hey ! Thanks Markustay, now you tease me : I'd love to hear from Ed about this haunted place and the other when he got time
Go to Top of Page

Markustay
Realms Explorer extraordinaire

USA
15724 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2013 :  14:15:11  Show Profile Send Markustay a Private Message
WOW! My BAD.

I went looking for where I saw that, and realized I was thinking of the wrong two settlements. I was thinking of Pros and Ilipur.

On the 4e Cormyr map (still one of my favorites), you see the two settlements as Pros and "Haunted Ilipur" (thus what I remembered... albeit about the wrong locales). Amry and Telpir are too far east to appear on that map.

Sorry for the confusion.

And I would like to add my desire for information on ALL those places.

"I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me" --- Dudley Field Malone

Go to Top of Page

Kris the Grey
Senior Scribe

USA
422 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2013 :  18:03:47  Show Profile Send Kris the Grey a Private Message
THO,

Thanks again for all the tasty information from Ed!

Did you happen to see my 'proper accent' inquiries lurking a few pages back? :)

Kris the Grey - Member in Good Standing of the Watchful Order of Magists and Protectors, the Arcane Guild of Silverymoon, and the Connecticut Bar Association
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 37 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000