Candlekeep Forum
Candlekeep Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Private Messages | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Realmslore
 Chamber of Sages
 Questions for Ed Greenwood (2013)
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 37

Joebing
Learned Scribe

USA
202 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2013 :  18:25:31  Show Profile Send Joebing a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by The Hooded One

...so perhaps it will similarly spur ideas among DMs.

Already got this DM's creative juices flowing, and I didn't even ask the question. *EVIL*

Now plugging away on mass conversion to 5e, as well as my imprint J. Halk Games.

http://www.facebook.com/JHalkGames

First adventure on DM Guild: Lair of Elaacrimalicros
Go to Top of Page

lordsknight185
Seeker

USA
99 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2013 :  20:13:23  Show Profile Send lordsknight185 a Private Message
Ed and dear THO, I have another question, now that we speak of Obarskyr lineage.

Would a non-human descendant (Such as a half-elf or a tiefling, especially a tiefling >.>;) ever be permitted to sit on the Dragon Throne of Cormyr? (As king obviously, I do not mean sitting in general :P)
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2013 :  21:57:51  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message
Hi lordsknight185,

You're likely to find the answer to your question on page 12 of the Looking for all info about Cormyr scroll.

Look for me and my content at EN World (user name: sanishiver).
Go to Top of Page

paladinnicolas
Seeker

92 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2013 :  22:04:08  Show Profile Send paladinnicolas a Private Message
Dear Ed and THO, thank you for the answer. I have bought the ebook version of the Cormyr novel and will read it, especially because I love political intrigue plots
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2013 :  06:14:03  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message
Hello Ed and THO,

Ed, your Realms novel "Hand of Fire" features a quote from Malivur Stonecastle's book "Fallen From Grace: A Cormyrean Noble's Tale" as the header for Chapter 19 (page 329 of the 2002 edition).

Can you please confirm whether or not Malivur Stonecastle is (or was) a noble of Cormyr?

If yes, did Malivur simply fall from grace? Or was he banished?

If not, about whom was Malivur writing?

I'm hoping he was a noble, as this would be a name not on any list of Cormyr's nobles in my possession.

Thank you both. :)

Edited by - Jeremy Grenemyer on 17 Jun 2013 07:27:11
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2013 :  08:07:05  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message
Well Again THO and Ed,

Ed, a follow up question for the 2002 edition of Hand of Fire: did the lecture given by Bharajak Steelshar (as mentioned in the header to Chapter 5, page 69) have a formal title?

Was it transcribed or otherwise recorded in some manner?

The quote of Bharajak's used in the chapter header implies he was responding to a question. Was the lecture a Q&A type of event? Or did Bharajak open the floor to questions after his lecture was given?

Did the lecture cover any other topics besides portals?

Did the Swords Club in Elturel host lectures all that often?

Thank you both in advance. Looking forward to what answers you may provide. :D

Go to Top of Page

lordsknight185
Seeker

USA
99 Posts

Posted - 17 Jun 2013 :  11:28:42  Show Profile Send lordsknight185 a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy Grenemyer

Hi lordsknight185,

You're likely to find the answer to your question on page 12 of the Looking for all info about Cormyr scroll.

Thank you! That was a fantastic answer, and just what I was looking for!

I got curious as Aubrin Crownsilver is fourth inline to the throne, and that would make any possible tiefling offspring fifth in line as well.
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2013 :  01:23:20  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message
Hi Ed and THO,

I was reading up a bit about Moonblades and got to thinking. Did the dwarves ever create anything comparable to Moonblades? And if so, is there anything you could share?

Thank you.

Edited by - Eilserus on 18 Jun 2013 01:23:46
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2013 :  18:10:59  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by Argistrin
(...)
I'm curious if there is a Corellon based paladin order in the realms. As reader, a dungeon master, and as an occasional player when fortune allows, I have often wondered about the existence of such a thing in the realms.
(...)

Hi, Argistrin!
Have you checked this thread? It is about elven paladins, maybe you would like to check it out.

And Ed and THO, a thread was opened about the chaotic good alignment of elves, especially the "good" aspect, considering the mass killings and genocides comitted by the race in the past. Some were arguing if the general elven populace is good (commoners, but maybe not their leaders), while others were questioning in which aspects they would be good and still join wars and genocides convocated by their commanders.

Mostly, people argued that elves were not very different from humans, with some being good, right, but others being evil, and so the race could not be declared "good", in general, as in the game sources. Can you please give us your pointview over this issue?

EDIT: added question and clarifications

"Goodness is not a natural state, but must be
fought for to be attained and maintained.
Lead by example.
Let your deeds speak your intentions.
Goodness radiated from the heart."

The Paladin's Virtues, excerpt from the "Quentin's Monograph"
(by Ed Greenwood)

Edited by - Barastir on 18 Jun 2013 18:42:03
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One
Lady Herald of Realmslore

5056 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2013 :  19:16:27  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
Jeremy, Ed will have to answer most of your questions about Malivur Stonecastle, but I can confirm from my notes that the Stonecastles are a minor Cormyrean noble family, ennobled in the reign of Duar (so presumably a Stonecastle aided that king in the civil war) and so long-established, and mainly resident in the southern coastal part of the Forest Kingdom. Their arms are a white-with-gray-detailings crenellated stone castle tower (like a chess rook) with two arrow-slit windows visible at differing heights, on an emerald green field (with a white border, on a shield of the shape sometimes called "elegant" in heraldry, and often in the USA referred to as a "police shield" because it's the shape of some classic police badges). Duke Bhereu (of the ruling family in the time of Azoun IV)was romantically linked to Ashlaelra Stonecastle in his youth, but she died tragically (and he was reportedly heartbroken).
There that's all I've got.
So saith me (from lore Ed gave me, of course).
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

paladinnicolas
Seeker

92 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2013 :  20:36:32  Show Profile Send paladinnicolas a Private Message
Dear Ed and THO, I would like to ask something similar to the Cormyr question I posed before. Since Ed has said that in his Realms those with good intentions sometimes make things wrongly, I would like to ask if in the games you have played the Harpers have ever committed abuses or wronged innocents. I read once that the Harpers are not liked in Amn because they were framed, but I would like to know if they have ever truly caused harm and engaged in wrongful acts. Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

Wooly Rupert
Master of Mischief

USA
36779 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2013 :  21:13:24  Show Profile Send Wooly Rupert a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by paladinnicolas

Dear Ed and THO, I would like to ask something similar to the Cormyr question I posed before. Since Ed has said that in his Realms those with good intentions sometimes make things wrongly, I would like to ask if in the games you have played the Harpers have ever committed abuses or wronged innocents. I read once that the Harpers are not liked in Amn because they were framed, but I would like to know if they have ever truly caused harm and engaged in wrongful acts. Thanks!

Sure they have. Ask any Zhentarim.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

I am the Giant Space Hamster of Ill Omen!
Go to Top of Page

createvmind
Senior Scribe

490 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2013 :  21:16:10  Show Profile  Visit createvmind's Homepage Send createvmind a Private Message
Hi All,

Just curious, this grotto of ever-replenishing gems that Cormyr controls, who controlled it or used it prior and how long has it been in existence? Origins of it already provided somewhere?

Thanks
Go to Top of Page

crazedventurers
Master of Realmslore

United Kingdom
1073 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2013 :  21:43:37  Show Profile  Visit crazedventurers's Homepage Send crazedventurers a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by createvmind

Hi All,

Just curious, this grotto of ever-replenishing gems that Cormyr controls, who controlled it or used it prior and how long has it been in existence? Origins of it already provided somewhere?

Thanks

Hi Creativemind

The Grotto is discussed in Volo's Guide to Cormyr (VGtC). It specifically states that the grotto was discovered by Amble Obarskyr, cousin to Ring Pryntaler, and that only six other people have seen it in all its glory.

Its another great little design by Ed that cleverly answers a game theory question about Cormyr and its wealth and how normal folks can live there safely surrounded by expensive guards in expensive armour without being taxed up to the hilt.

Cheers

Damian
ps WoTC released VGtC free on their web site as a PDF go here
http://web.archive.org/web/20080506030618/http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dnd/downloads and scroll down a bit until you find it

So saith Ed. I've never said he was sane, have I?
Gods, all this writing and he's running a constant fantasy version of Coronation Street in his head, too. .
shudder,
love to all,
THO
Candlekeep Forum 7 May 2005

Edited by - crazedventurers on 18 Jun 2013 21:49:13
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 18 Jun 2013 :  23:15:23  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message
quote:

There that's all I've got.
So saith me (from lore Ed gave me, of course).
love,
THO
Thank you very much. I really appreciate you sharing events from your Realmsplay sessions, as they often shed light on Realmslore for which only passing reference is given in printed sources.

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2013 :  01:20:34  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
A pleasure!
And now, I'd like to turn to this query from paladinnicolas: "Dear Ed and THO, I would like to ask something similar to the Cormyr question I posed before. Since Ed has said that in his Realms those with good intentions sometimes make things wrongly, I would like to ask if in the games you have played the Harpers have ever committed abuses or wronged innocents. I read once that the Harpers are not liked in Amn because they were framed, but I would like to know if they have ever truly caused harm and engaged in wrongful acts. Thanks!"

Well, that's another one of those loaded questions. Harpers work against governments they consider too large and too powerful, and against those who they see as being overly aggressive to others (e.g. by destroying habitat [burning forests] to drive creatures out of an area so it can be settled [and farmed]). So, libertarians - - but libertarians who believe in a code all can trust in. They always work against abusive authority, too, so they can seem like Greenpeace or various real-world protestors at times.
So Harpers often break laws, but view those making and enforcing those laws as unjust aggressors abusing power - - or even claiming rulership over lands not theirs. What, then, is a "wrongful act"? As for causing harm, Harpers fight. So there's bloodshed and death, which is causing harm . . . but then again, they would argue that to not resist aggression would have resulted in a lot more death and harm to many more folk.
So . . . it's complicated. Ed has never written a black-and-white, clear-cut Realms. He has always put in layers of meaning, nuances, complexity, and so on, because he believes that a vital part of roleplaying is making moral choices. That are truly choices, not "this is the shining side of good, and that is the dark-hearted side of ultimate evil. Choose between them." situations, but harder and messier choices.
As Wooly posted, Zhentarim (real law-and-order, might makes right types) would see Harpers as bad. If the word existed in the Realms, they might claim that "all Harpers are terrorists, or abettors of terrorists, whereas WE obey laws." But then, many in the Realms would see the Zhents as akin to Hitler's stormtroops (to use another real-world analogy), so it's back to "one man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter."
In the games I've played in, many Harpers have made MISTAKES, yes, but always with the best of intentions. I'd never seen a "false Harper." If you read Ed's novels, Elminster makes mistakes all the time. And yet, most see him as a force for good. A meddler who drives a lot of them nuts, yet in the end, over the centuries, a force for good.
So...complicated. (Remember, the Realms posits lots of opposed gods, so deciding whose judgment is "right" regarding harm and "wrongful acts" isn't easy, either.)
I hope this helps to answer your question.
(I'm a bad, spankable girl trying to do good. )
love,
THO

Edited by - The Hooded One on 19 Jun 2013 01:21:52
Go to Top of Page

The Sage
Procrastinator Most High

Australia
31701 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2013 :  05:01:20  Show Profile Send The Sage a Private Message
quote:
Originally posted by crazedventurers

quote:
Originally posted by createvmind

Hi All,

Thanks

Hi Creativemind

The Grotto is discussed in Volo's Guide to Cormyr (VGtC). It specifically states that the grotto was discovered by Amble Obarskyr, cousin to Ring Pryntaler, and that only six other people have seen it in all its glory.

Its another great little design by Ed that cleverly answers a game theory question about Cormyr and its wealth and how normal folks can live there safely surrounded by expensive guards in expensive armour without being taxed up to the hilt.

Cheers

Damian
ps WoTC released VGtC free on their web site as a PDF go here
http://web.archive.org/web/20080506030618/http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dnd/downloads and scroll down a bit until you find it

I think Ed's shared a few extra tidbits about the Grotto in previous replies... if I'm remembering correctly.

Candlekeep Forums Moderator

Candlekeep - The Library of Forgotten Realms Lore
http://www.candlekeep.com
-- Candlekeep Forum Code of Conduct

Scribe for the Candlekeep Compendium -- Volume IX now available (Oct 2007)

"So Saith Ed" -- the collected Candlekeep replies of Ed Greenwood

Zhoth'ilam Folio -- The Electronic Misadventures of a Rambling Sage
Go to Top of Page

paladinnicolas
Seeker

92 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2013 :  09:38:58  Show Profile Send paladinnicolas a Private Message
Thanks for your answer THO!
Go to Top of Page

BlackAce
Senior Scribe

United Kingdom
358 Posts

Posted - 19 Jun 2013 :  15:59:59  Show Profile Send BlackAce a Private Message
Hey folks!

I've been asked once again by Emma and her fellow players to pass on their (and my) deepest thanks and gratitude to Ed and THO for the Raventree family lore Ed was kind enough to share. They're having an absolute blast and Ems has promised to send a synopsis to share with you all at some future point.

Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2013 :  04:29:18  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
paladinnicolas, you're very welcome.
And BlackAce, we'd both love to see that synopsis, when the time is right for Emma to write it, and you're all very welcome. Ed loves helping Realms campaigns with lore (and it's just fine to twist and stretch it to fit your needs, too).
lordsknight185, regarding your recent query about the order of succession in Cormyr, Ed thinks you might want to make sure you read all of the Realms novels penned by Erin Evans, both those out now and those coming out in the future. (And if you ever have contact with Garen Thal here at the Keep, or Brian Cortijo at a convention - - they're the same gentleman - - he is THE expert on Cormyr.)
love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2013 :  11:50:51  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message
I've sent this question yesterday to the sages, but today I thought maybe I should ask it directly to Ed, not only asking about published lore but expanding it to whatever additional information he can bring about it:

In the 'Volo's Guide to the North' the legend of the Moondark Mountains, an ancient elven cluster of magic-rich citadels, whose inhabitants apparently left the world through Spelljamming. Have any newer lore been published that confirms those tales, and that says of which elven realms those citadels were part? And I've also noted that the name of the temple of Solonor the Archer God in Evereska is 'Moondark Hill'. Is there any connections between those places that you know about?

I was also wondering if there was any connection between those tales and the stories of winged elves near the Spine of the World. Could you please shed some light over these questions?

Lead by example.

(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

Jeremy Grenemyer
Great Reader

USA
2717 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2013 :  12:35:05  Show Profile Send Jeremy Grenemyer a Private Message
Hello THO and Ed,

Ed, where I live in California we have Beer Walks, where people buy tickets at a local bar that allow them to sample a wide variety of craft beers and local brews that are served at booths situated in front of or just inside nearby stores and shops. Participants follow a preset route from the bar and end up back at the bar when the route is complete.

Are there such things as Beer Walks in the Realms?

Do guilds (such as in Waterdeep) or vendors ever team up to produce crossover events like this?

Was it ever fashionable in Suzail or Waterdeep to do the equivalent of a Bar Crawl (I guess you'd call it a Tavern Crawl or Tavern Hopping)?

With all the wines, beers and spirits produced by humans and other races, with enough coin I bet you could have one hell of a time.

Thank you very much.

Go to Top of Page

lordsknight185
Seeker

USA
99 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2013 :  13:07:11  Show Profile Send lordsknight185 a Private Message
quote:

regarding your recent query about the order of succession in Cormyr, Ed thinks you might want to make sure you read all of the Realms novels penned by Erin Evans, both those out now and those coming out in the future.

Dear THO, I made not a query but a general statement because I have read both Brimstone angels and Lesser Evils.

If Ed's statement is meant to mean something will soon happen to change the current line of succession then that makes me both disappointed, as I consider that a vague spoiler-like statement, and worried for the fate of two of my favorite characters...The Adversary does not come out for another five months. That is a long time to have to wait and be worried.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2013 :  16:41:19  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Heh. I sent Ed your post, lordsknight185, and he responded:

"Change the order of succession"? I don't recall any mentioning any changes. It's a "vague spoiler-like" suggestion, not a statement. Commonly known in the trade as a teaser.
Yet if it's caused consternation, I'll add this: I don't think you need be worried.

So there you have it. Worry not.
Ed wanted me to add that he and Erin have spent much enjoyable time going back-and-forth over tiny lore details, as Erin gets everything exactly right. He's looking forward to The Adversary (and, he wants to add, ALL of the Sundering books he's read drafts of, thus far, which is most of them).
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Blueblade
Senior Scribe

USA
804 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2013 :  19:13:10  Show Profile  Visit Blueblade's Homepage Send Blueblade a Private Message
Just a public service announcement:
Ed's Golarion novel, THE WIZARD'S MASK, is out!
And Paizo has put up not just a typically fun author interview with Ed, but a three-part short story (free-to-read; I had trouble getting Chapter 2 to display until I clicked on the artist's name, last name is Gomez, on the links at the bottom of Chapter 2) starring one of the protagonists, the halfling Tantaerra.
The short story takes place years before the novel, so isn't spoiler-ish.
I am loving the story. A FUN read. Good old swords and sorcery.
More from Ed, the friendly guy-next-door genius.
All good!
BB

Edited by - Blueblade on 20 Jun 2013 21:46:44
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2013 :  21:52:54  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Out at last, eh? Good. Ed said he had a blast writing it. And loved working with James Sutter.
I'll be picking it up, of course.

And to Barastir: I think your Moondark queries are about to hit an NDA. But not for all that long.

love to all,
THO
Go to Top of Page

Eilserus
Master of Realmslore

USA
1446 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2013 :  06:37:29  Show Profile Send Eilserus a Private Message
Hi Ed and THO,

Have the Knights ever had encounters with Galeb Duhr? I get the impression these folk are kind of like a dwarven version of treants? As far as I know there isn't much lore on them. Is there anything you could share regarding these creatures? Do they get along with dwarves?

Thank you both. :)

Edited by - Eilserus on 21 Jun 2013 06:37:54
Go to Top of Page

Barastir
Master of Realmslore

Brazil
1600 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2013 :  11:54:30  Show Profile Send Barastir a Private Message
quote:
And to Barastir: I think your Moondark queries are about to hit an NDA. But not for all that long.

Wow, my own first NDA!!! Thank you very much, dear Lady!

Lead by example.

(by Ed Greenwood)
Go to Top of Page

lordsknight185
Seeker

USA
99 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2013 :  13:43:08  Show Profile Send lordsknight185 a Private Message
Dear THO, Ed's response actually made me smile. I am sorry if I was rude, I have just found myself highly attached to Erin's characters as of late and I am glad to hear she and Ed discussed the lore so thoroughly.
Go to Top of Page

The Hooded One

5056 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2013 :  22:31:14  Show Profile  Visit The Hooded One's Homepage Send The Hooded One a Private Message
Hi again, all.
lordsknight185, nothing to apologize for.
As Ed told me once: "We want fans to care deeply about our characters. I never want to upset anyone, but if they're angry or frightened or sad or delighted or rolling around on the floor hooting with laughter - - great. That's why I do all of this."
Ed and I both LOVE Erin's characters.
In fact, for some months now I've been teasing Ed with: "What would Farideh do, if--?" questions. ;} I won't tell you his replies, because that would be TELLING. And because that should be Erin's fun, not mine.
I believe (choosing my words carefully here) that Ed was hinting more that the Dragon Throne would stand close to the concerns of some characters, in Erin's books to come.
love,
THO
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 37 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Candlekeep Forum © 1999-2024 Candlekeep.com Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000